Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='solohunter']this may not be the best place to ask this, but DAO is $12 on amazon, it seems...having never played it (but loving both mass effects) should i get it? i'd prefer it on steam - what are the chances that DAO will be discounted for this sale?[/QUOTE]
I'd say wait until at least tomorrow in hopes of Steam's daily being DA:U. With Valve and EA giving each other the silent treatment, I'm not too hopeful of any EA games being at a deep discount. Since Amazon offer expires on (or before) the 4th, I'd grab it by tomorrow to be safe.

And while I haven't played the game personally (planning on getting it off Amazon tomorrow; my backlog is gonna hate me :bouncy:), I've only heard positive things about the game. Can't really go wrong with it for $12 if you have even the faintest interest in RPGs; probably the cheapest its been.

[quote name='FastDontLie']If anyone has the HoMM V pack, could you answer this for me? Why is the game and both expansions all separate executables? I haven't played a Heroes game since 3, but I remember just having to launch the a single executable and all of the expansions would be together.[/QUOTE]
Hammers of Fate (HoF) is the expansion to the original Heroes 5 while Tribes of the East (TotE) is a standalone expansion. With that said, as others have mentioned, it uses different executables to separate the games.

I've just installed Tribes of the East tonight, and decided to install the original Heroes 5 afterwards. Seems like Steam considered them as separate games as Heroes 5 takes up 1.6GB while TotE takes up another ~2GB. And before I installed the original Heroes 5, I checked the space requirement for HoF and it stated that it needed about roughly 1.6GB. But after installing Heroes 5 and checking the space requirement again for HoF, the space required dropped down to 840 MB. One can only assume the two share files.

But as someone who quoted me earlier, if you're looking just to experience the full campaign (original Heroes 5, HoF, and TotE) with all of its cut-scenes, you would just need to purchase TotE. If you install this "mod" (http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php), it will unlock all of the Heroes 5 campaigns in your TotE game. The menu even gets integrated nicely with the campaign selection menu (doesn't look like a mod at all). You'll save $2.50 by opting for this route, but you'll out on the Dark Messiah game.

[quote name='FastDontLie']Yeah that's what I meant. I remember just popping in Armageddon's Blade and being able to play the older stuff. So does that mean I can just launch the newest expansion here and be able to play the original campaign maps?[/QUOTE]
I'm assuming when you said "newest expansion," you meant Tribes of the East. And if that's the case, then no; not by default. You'll have to install the mod I've linked above to play all of the Heroes 5 campaign under TotE.

[quote name='Kaltic']The real question is, if it isn't will you really complain about wasting .25 or .49 cents?[/QUOTE]

haha nope!
but just wondering if the $2.22 is better spent elsewhere.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Amazing how Cheap some of these Gamers are on these forums. :applause:[/QUOTE]

agree or not, a dollar here, a dollar there can go a long way.

[quote name='wilflare']are the JC2 DLC worth it?[/QUOTE]

All the DLC is so cheap that I say freakin' go for it. I just finished the first main chunk of the game and unlocked the Black Market where the DLC weapons, parachute, and vehicles are located and they seem to be quite beefy in my opinion. Really, for less than $7 (or more if you live near Seattle like me and get taxed) you are getting one hell of a great game and DLC that's fairly powerful and useful. Hope that helps :)

[quote name='wilflare']agree or not, a dollar here, a dollar there can go a long way.[/QUOTE]
I actually agree with you. I was being sarcastic with my last comment. I think it's funny when people wonder why so many gamers are cheap on a website called CHEAPASS GAMER. LOL

[quote name='wilflare']haha nope!
but just wondering if the $2.22 is better spent elsewhere.

[/QUOTE]

I bought it and decided to just get what sounded fun. So I didn't get the super pistol or assault rifle or the lame car. It sounded like all they did was make the game easy, but not really entertaining.

So I just picked up the two packs plus the monster truck and hover craft. If I wanted to the game to be easier I could just download a trainer and not spend $.25 for a better weapon. But an air cannon... I couldn't pass that up.

Gonna regret not grabbing Oblivion if it doesn't encore. Also, the $20 penalty for not buying DMMM with the package is funny.

I wish I could have 2 carts: one for dailies and one to save for the last day; my wishlist is unwieldy enough.

edit: holy crap, I CAN have two carts. 1 thru Steam itself and another through a browser. But I wonder if it combines them during checkout...

[quote name='immanewb']I'm assuming when you said "newest expansion," you meant Tribes of the East. And if that's the case, then no; not by default. You'll have to install the mod I've linked above to play all of the Heroes 5 campaign under TotE.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, good sir.

I'm already getting my butt kicked wallet-wise. Grabbed bit.trip runner, Sims 3 Pack, Meridian 4 Complete Pack, and Medal of Honor.

Hoping for Sims Medieval at $20 or less, but I doubt it will happen.

[quote name='Wapcaplet']DMC4 was $5 during a daily deal in the Winter sale. Now it's $10? Really?

Thanks, Steam and Capcom. I'll wait until you come to your senses again.[/QUOTE]
That wasn't for the whole daily deal, about 6-10 hours in through they realized their "mistake" and hiked the price up to $10 which seemed to have been the intended price. Everyone here threw a hissy fit of course, understandably :)

[quote name='wilflare']haha nope!
but just wondering if the $2.22 is better spent elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. $2.22 might buy you 2 NES games at a yard sale. :D

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic V: I did exactly this little trick. It appears to have worked but I didn't have time to start a game. But, all the campaigns appeared on the menu just like it said, looked like they always belonged. So good trick if you are super cheap, although again I did not actually start playing a game so who knows.

AS for Dungeons I was quite on the fence on that also and decided to pass. Not sure if it was posted here but this goofy review on youtoube ruined any hope I had for the game. I have such a backlog especially on Steam I don't see the need for sub-optimal crap, regardless of how nice it would be to have a DK sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HugcI1BYJH0

[quote name='immanewb']I'd say wait until at least tomorrow in hopes of Steam's daily being DA:U. With Valve and EA giving each other the silent treatment, I'm not too hopeful of any EA games being at a deep discount. Since Amazon offer expires on (or before) the 4th, I'd grab it by tomorrow to be safe.

And while I haven't played the game personally (planning on getting it off Amazon tomorrow; my backlog is gonna hate me :bouncy:), I've only heard positive things about the game. Can't really go wrong with it for $12 if you have even the faintest interest in RPGs; probably the cheapest its been.

Hammers of Fate (HoF) is the expansion to the original Heroes 5 while Tribes of the East (TotE) is a standalone expansion. With that said, as others have mentioned, it uses different executables to separate the games.

I've just installed Tribes of the East tonight, and decided to install the original Heroes 5 afterwards. Seems like Steam considered them as separate games as Heroes 5 takes up 1.6GB while TotE takes up another ~2GB. And before I installed the original Heroes 5, I checked the space requirement for HoF and it stated that it needed about roughly 1.6GB. But after installing Heroes 5 and checking the space requirement again for HoF, the space required dropped down to 840 MB. One can only assume the two share files.

But as someone who quoted me earlier, if you're looking just to experience the full campaign (original Heroes 5, HoF, and TotE) with all of its cut-scenes, you would just need to purchase TotE. If you install this "mod" (http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php), it will unlock all of the Heroes 5 campaigns in your TotE game. The menu even gets integrated nicely with the campaign selection menu (doesn't look like a mod at all). You'll save $2.50 by opting for this route, but you'll out on the Dark Messiah game.

I'm assuming when you said "newest expansion," you meant Tribes of the East. And if that's the case, then no; not by default. You'll have to install the mod I've linked above to play all of the Heroes 5 campaign under TotE.[/QUOTE]

I showed restraint last night, as I only purchased the Just Cause 2 DLC and no full games. But, I had to go and watch gameplay videos of Dark Messiah, looks like a fun action/rpg style game, and I bought it.

Side note: Is it sad that I literally have a piece of paper next to me with possible games to buy, and I wrote RESTRAINT at the top? It didn't work...

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I actually agree with you. I was being sarcastic with my last comment. I think it's funny when people wonder why so many gamers are cheap on a website called CHEAPASS GAMER. LOL[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of exactly just that. you can't blame someone for being cheap when he is belonging to the right community of Cheap Ass Gamers.
maybe i should have a DCAG - Dirt Cheap Ass Gamers. I'll be one for sure.
(wonders how Slickdeals fall into this kind of category)

[quote name='Jerry-kun']Seriously. $2.22 might buy you 2 NES games at a yard sale. :D[/QUOTE]

.28 cents more could net you ehh BIT TRIP :D
2.22 meant two iOS game

okayokay. i know i'm a CAG

thinking of
Hamilton
SpaceChem
Sanctum
Puzzle Dimensions

good lord... resist!

[quote name='Xellos2099']How is steam kotor working for window 7 64bit?[/QUOTE]

It worked well for me... The only thing is, sometimes it would crash during cutscenes. Annoying - yes. But not a deal breaker I'd say. Just remember to save!

[quote name='testisbest']It worked well for me... The only thing is, sometimes it would crash during cutscenes. Annoying - yes. But not a deal breaker I'd say. Just remember to save![/QUOTE]

basically the same for me, had sound issues too if i recall.

[quote name='BGriffith']Is Dungeons any good? Seems interesting...[/QUOTE]

General consensus seems to be that its just ok. They made what is visually a Dungeon Siege rip off but in reality is nothing like DS. Really too bad because if they had just made a generic modern day DS id have bought it while on sale.

[quote name='Xellos2099']How is steam kotor working for window 7 64bit?[/QUOTE]
I remember it was having problems last year when I bought it but now that I tried it again on my Windows 7 64bit machine it works fantastic! Full movies and everything! :applause: they musta slipped some patch somewhere in steam or a windows update, but it works now!

As for my opinion of the game - It's freakin awesome. One of the best star wars RPGs ever. The gameplay takes a bit of a learning curve of a few hours to pick up but it's well worth it to get into the story.

Was going to buy the Heroes pack but watched some videos and not really interested, then was going to snag Dark Messiah but it looks mediocre and I just bought Oblivion yesterday. Probably going to snag the Oddbox at some point in this sale though. I played the shit out of Munch's Oddysee when it first came out for xbox, great at $2 but for an extra 3 bucks I'll just get the other 3 games. Steam achievements too

Kotor worked perfectly fine for me in windows 7 Xellos2009. Sadly I am not going to be around when the sales kick over today :/ on the plus side though at least the server should have finished getting refresh blitzed by the time i get back XD.

If you've never played any of these and aren't sure what to get, the Grand Theft Auto Classics and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic are your best of the best.

Braid - Pretty decent game. LoL I actually got this for about $0.20 through a bundle deal I got from a indie donation/giveaway last year that was partnered with steam.

Train Sim - No idea, you gotta really be into trains. I'm sure it's great for those interests. $8.74 isn't too bad, under $10. For me, I'd probably get it if it were under $4.

Shogun 2 - I have a friend who's freaking addicted to the Total War series of games and claims with much enthusiasm that this is a damn good war sim game. $29.99 is there because it hasn't been out too long. 90/100 metascore O.O! Personally I'm gonna wait for a price drop still. I'm just a penny pincher when it comes to these sales and getting the most bang for buck is the thrill I enjoy most.

Devil May Cry 4 - damn good series - I already know this is probably a damn good game. :/ Wish it was more around the $6-7ish side. Feels like it was $10 in the last major sale too.

Grand Theft Auto Classics - again, who 'hasn't' played these? If you have not, this is a NO BRAINER must buy immediately deal. $7.49!!! I love these games! I still love these games! These stand at the highest part of my list of favorite games I've ever played! Even if you've only played the newer ones like GTA:IV or EFLC, these have a special place on their own. I still wish Rockstar would convert the Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories into PC Ports too, but that'll never happen. Basically, you don't even have to play the first two here, just III-Vice City-and San Andreas to get yourself started. Even if you've only played these on the PS2 or Xbox, they are fantastic to have for the PC. The graphics are so much better with a more recent system.

Star Wars KOTOR - Another no brainer if you haven't played it and love RPGs and Sandbox gameplay. It's open gameplay and different than Grand Theft Auto style openness, but it's highly detailed aspects of customization and karma are just addictive. Many people had to play this twice - once good, once evil. You get to decide these through your actions.

Just Cause 2 - For $4.99, that's not bad at all either.

Call of Duty Black Ops - Still pretty new. It's a discount if you want it really bad but I say a 45-50% off would have been a little more attractive. See it's still stuck at that first-release retail price of $59.99. However with all this said, I know a lot of people who absolutely had to get it when it first came out and where willing to fork out the retail to get started on the gameplay.

Spacechem - no idea lol.

Hamilton's Great Adventure - hmm looks interesting. I'll have to read more into this. $5 makes it easy to decide.

Heroes V ... Pack? - A Pack of 4 games... for $4.99? That's some potential damn good deal there. I've heard some good things about these, personally I've never tried them. Regardless of reviews (unless they are just absolutely terrible) - For $5, I can ASSURE you this is A LOT of gameplay for $5! I'll go ahead and call it a no brainer for people who've already got GTA:Classics and KOTOR and Just Cause and want something new - want to take a wild side chance at a new game series. :D

Spacechem is getting rave reviews and recommendations on Neogaf.

I bit the bullet and picked it up, along with Just Cause 2, KOTOR, Hamilton's Great Adventure, and Heroes V.

There is a free demo for you to try it out on Steam. 90 Minutes left.

Spacechem tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYOYtd298o

Spacechem review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tPlhQ752KA

"The most engaging and unique puzzle game I've played in quite a while."

Anybody willing to gift me KOTOR for a $5 amazon.com gift card, I really want that game :(

EDIT: thanks scarhawk :)

CAG favorite/best deal of sale so far? Borderlands or Just Cause 2? Seems people went nuts over both and gave big recommendations over the 100s of crazy hours they got.

Personally I am going Borderlands. It is the better game, has better humor, less repetitive and came with all its DLC. JC2 is still awesome though.

Hope today has an equally amazing game at an equally amazing price.

What are those creatures on the Summer Camp page? The yellow thing, the orange thing, and the black cat thing? Are they from a game or just oddish Steam mascots?

[quote name='utopianmachine']What are those creatures on the Summer Camp page? The yellow thing, the orange thing, and the black cat thing? Are they from a game or just oddish Steam mascots?[/QUOTE]

Just steam mascots

[quote name='utopianmachine']What are those creatures on the Summer Camp page? The yellow thing, the orange thing, and the black cat thing? Are they from a game or just oddish Steam mascots?[/QUOTE]

I believe they've been there for the last few major sales too.

Hopefully Steam puts up some more easy achievements like the link your facebook account. That's the only shot I have at getting any tickets. :lol: I'd welcome "Spend a dollar!" or "Take a Screenshot!"

[quote name='Doomtime']Hopefully Steam puts up some more easy achievements like the link your facebook account. That's the only shot I have at getting any tickets. :lol: I'd welcome "Spend a dollar!" or "Take a Screenshot!"[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah :p
The "Join X Steam Group" and Link your FB are the only 2 I have so far :(

[quote name='iso135']Well, I have only spent $7.47 so far...ready to fall off the restraint wagon today probably...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope today's deals are epic. I'm ready to shell out mah monies.

[quote name='scarhawk']Haha yeah :p
The "Join X Steam Group" and Link your FB are the only 2 I have so far :([/QUOTE]

The "Get a Tan" one for Toki Tori is pretty easy (took me about an hour because you have to clear the first world on normal), and the game is both cheap ($1.24) and good.

"Vamos a la Playa" for Swords and Soldiers is also easy (lightning is your friend), and the game is quite fun, but only modestly cheap ($3.40).

And, of course, the one for Bit.Trip Beat is ridiculously easy, but it's not as cheap as it was two days ago.

[quote name='scarhawk']Yeah I hope today's deals are epic. I'm ready to shell out mah monies.[/QUOTE]
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

same here
I want L4D2 though

Wow, there's about five games that I want. PvZ, Super Meat Boy, Bad Company 2, Magicka, and Hoard. All for about 20 bucks. Today is a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back