Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my hopes for Dead Rising 2 to hit $10 are gone... I know people always call out Capcom on the sales, but now I really see how it goes... Now I just hope Doom 3 hits ~$5 or so, and maybe War for Cybertron right around $10 or so.

[quote name='Isurus']SUpER MEAT BOY 6.95 plus 20% off with BRING-MESUN-SHINE
http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=Super+meat+boy&x=0&y=0[/QUOTE]

Good call out with Greenman gaming, this works since I have 1.50 in trade-in from games they gave away for free.... 5.50 is close enough to the 3.75 it was at last holiday sale...

I did want to note that the code BRING-MESUN-SHINE will not work with SMB, you will get an error that games already on sale cannot have the code applied. Verified that the code did work on a game which was not already on sale. Either way, it is still 50 cents cheaper than getting it from steam ;)

[quote name='dustdust']Try harder, Capcom.[/QUOTE]

Capcom IS trying their hardest, to PISS us off! They can't do anything right anymore.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Are there still servers for AvP?[/QUOTE]

Last time I played was a few months ago. There were people to play against in vs mode if you were looking for that.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Well, my hopes for Dead Rising 2 to hit $10 are gone... I know people always call out Capcom on the sales, but now I really see how it goes... Now I just hope Doom 3 hits ~$5 or so, and maybe War for Cybertron right around $10 or so.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dustdust']Try harder, Capcom.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I agree. I think RE5 and DR2 have been keeping pretty consistent prices during the last few sales. I might even be slightly tempted if DR2 drops to $14.99 since that's the average sale price for the physical copy of the game at Amazon. But, sadly, it will probably be only 50% off Steam's MSRP (making it a pretty crappy deal at $19.99). See you at the winter sales, Capcom (or whenever you decide to stop thinking so highly of yourselves).

Edit:
For those who are wondering about the Spiral Knight achievement/ticket (Star-Spangled Bomber - Get Cracking! Add the Firecracker bomb to your arsenal), they temporarily removed it. But, according to one of the developers (over at Steam forums), they will add it back on a later date.
[quote name='OOO Nick']Sorry about the mix up guys, please keep an eye out for this achievement on a later date of the event. Also, so long as you have a Firecracker bomb when it goes live, you will earn the achievement, so no worries![/QUOTE]
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23331322&postcount=96

[quote name='Heavenlywind']Last time I played was a few months ago. There were people to play against in vs mode if you were looking for that.[/QUOTE]

How long did it usually take you to get a match? Every time I try to play multiplayer, it never puts me into a match. I've wanted to play it for a while now.

[quote name='JP']Thinking about Fable III, but not much else.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I usually don't bash games but Fable III at that price I would skip. I had it for the 360 and couldn't trade it in fast enough after I beat it(It's pretty much impossible not to beat it). Worth the play yeah but not at that price.

[quote name='Kaoz']How does Half life/half life blue shift/ half life opposing force hold up? Worth $6 or shold I just buy the half life 2 episodes on their own?[/QUOTE]
Blue shift graphics are ok, half-life 1 graphics are a little outdated (Still waiting for a free mod that will improve graphics like half-life 2, but all you need is a source game for that one http://www.blackmesasource.com/about.html ). Opposing force not sure. But as games they're all awesome, what you come to expect from half-life.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I love strategy and simulation games of yore. Looking at Football Manager 2011 reminds me of those games--almost reminds me a bit of X-COM more than anything oddly enough.

I don't like sports, though. I just don't really have interest in them (though a good game like this might actually make me like soccer--golf games as a kid made me like golf). Would I still like FM 2011?[/QUOTE]
At 9.99 I don't think it's worth it, especially considering that Football Manager 2012 is 3 months away.

Gotta warn you though it's like a hardcore soccer simulation and you need to have a basic idea about the game. You pick a team and create tactics(you can download great tactics from the community, if yours fail to give you any results) and watch your team go to the top or get fired and have to look for another team. The management side of buying and selling players is fun though. I myself love the game, but than again I'm a hardcore fan of the game. Everybody else who plays FM that I know also is very knowledgeable about the game also.

There is a demo of the game, actually is a full demo with all the features of the regular game, but is limited to 6 in-game months.

[quote name='BitLooter']So is Garshasp worth $2.50?[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad game, very God of War ripoff.... for an indie game production quality is good. For 2.50 if you aren't buying a crap load of other games then yes it's worth it, but if you have a ton of other games you are buying this year's sale then maybe not...

I bought it but I am sticking to a tight budget of absolutely nothing over 10$ and mostly around 5$ish to 8 with dlc...

I already have BC2 on Origin. If I buy vietnam, can I use the code on origin if I dont ever use the key in the steam version and register it on my origin account?

Snagged SW: Knights of the Old Republic and Empires at War last night.

I'm eyeing Quake and Quake 2, Doom 3, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 and Dawn of War II. They already on sale with their bundle prices, but I'm curious to see if they'll be parted out on their own for a sale price.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I already have BC2 on Origin. If I buy vietnam, can I use the code on origin if I dont ever use the key in the steam version and register it on my origin account?[/QUOTE]
Traitor!

Most of the games I would want tor today's deals I already have on Xbox 360. I am kind of interested in Magicka though, $8.49 for the game and all the dlc seems like a good deal...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']How long did it usually take you to get a match? Every time I try to play multiplayer, it never puts me into a match. I've wanted to play it for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Around a minute or two.

Haul so far:

6/30 -
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe - $8.50
Recettear - $5
TOTAL: $13.50

7/1 -
Just Cause 2 DLC (All of them) $2.23
Total War Shogun 2 DLC $2.99
Civilization V (GamersGate) - $11.18
TOTAL: $16.40

7/2 -
3 Magicka DLCs (3/4 of the new ones - Watchtower is still 33% off for some reason) - $2.33
Darksiders - $5
Hoard (4 pack buy-in) - $2.25
TOTAL: $9.58

3 Day Sale Grand Total ---- $39.48 (~$13.16 per day)

Just picked up the Magicka pack for $8.49. I was hoping for a deal on Capsized, went to its page and it's half off at $5. Do they usually lower prices like that even on game not promoted on the front page? It this just a coincidence? Anyone think it might go lower at some point?

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Actually anyone want to do a Magicka 4 pack?

PM Me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jamezuva']I would do a Magicka as well as Hoard 4 pack[/QUOTE]

Sent PMs to both of you about doing a 4-pack on Magicka and Hoard. If spots are filled I will see if other people are interested.

[quote name='unopepito06']Just picked up the Magicka pack for $8.49. I was hoping for a deal on Capsized, went to its page and it's half off at $5. Do they usually lower prices like that even on game not promoted on the front page? It this just a coincidence? Anyone think it might go lower at some point?[/QUOTE]

Like many have said previously, you must wait, my young padawan... For the daily deal for XXXXXX. If it doesn't go on sale by the end of the sale (July 10th), then buy it. But yes, if you haven't noticed already, I'd say a good 75% of the games on Steam have some sort of discount. It's the daily deals that you want to look out for though. Many deals aren't advertised on the front page, even those at a 50% discount.

Might I add that the discounts that are NOT daily deals remain until the end of the sale, with the exception of some that Steam decides to stealthily remove/change the discount % in some way. For the most part, you should have nothing to worry about if the game is relatively "low-key", meaning that it isn't a high profile game like CoD: Black Ops or Counter-Strike, which they did change the discounts on at least once already.

I think thats the sale price from now till the 10th. Its still possible however that it might be reduced even more as a daily deal. I'm interested in Capsized as well but I think I'll wait till closer to the 10th before I bite just in case.

Today is a good day, got 3 more tickets (4 once my girlfriend is around and we can do the magicka one together) Plus I am eying bioshock 1 and 2 and Darksides. Already have the bioshock games for the ps3 but I can sell them quick and cover the cost of both games on steam plus darksiders. Ah not adding to my budget and getting ride of some console games ^_^ its a good day for the sale for me.

Sad about Resident evil 5, I'd have snagged it at $10 most likely, but $15 no thank you I can wait. Fable III while tempting is still to high.If they had thrown the DLC in and made it Fable III complete I would have jumped on $25 :/ some people need to think more when they price and or bundle things for steam sales.

As for the tickets, the jolly rover one is easy, took me less than 10 minutes. SMB one is insane, you might want to opt out and use someones save unless your wanting to potentially go mad from how hard the game can be.

[quote name='MSI Magus']CAG favorite/best deal of sale so far? Borderlands or Just Cause 2? Seems people went nuts over both and gave big recommendations over the 100s of crazy hours they got.

Personally I am going Borderlands. It is the better game, has better humor, less repetitive and came with all its DLC. JC2 is still awesome though.

Hope today has an equally amazing game at an equally amazing price.[/QUOTE]

I thought borderlands got really boring at the end. Especially when you start farming for good equipment, and I played about 3 minutes of new game plus.

Maybe I don't remember right but I dont see any way to get 100 hours of borderlands maybe 20-30 hours.

Never even looked at either just cause so I might checkout two, spacechem looks worth demoing too.

For the Summer Camp Prize Booth, I could've swore that there was an achievement up for Spiral Knights up this morning, but it's not there anymore. Did anyone else see it? Maybe they took it down for another day?

[quote name='Therapy'] But what bothers me about the game is that it keeps stuttering. My pc is killer (which you don't even need for the game) but it stutters nonetheless. Extremely annoying and as far as I know it still hasn''t been fixed.[/QUOTE]

yeah i just built a PC in like february and it's TOTL shit and stutters, the workaround for the stuttering is to run it windowed. it runs perfectly smooth windowed, but they really need to fix that.

Anybody start up Darksiders yet? I want to know how well it works with a keyboard/mouse or if it has anything annoying like being locked at 30fps or just an unreasonably bad performance level.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']For the Summer Camp Prize Booth, I could've swore that there was an achievement up for Spiral Knights up this morning, but it's not there anymore. Did anyone else see it? Maybe they took it down for another day?[/QUOTE]
I saw it as well.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1968403
It'll be back Wednesday. The forums seem to indicate it was bugged; that's likely to get them time to fix it properly.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']For the Summer Camp Prize Booth, I could've swore that there was an achievement up for Spiral Knights up this morning, but it's not there anymore. Did anyone else see it? Maybe they took it down for another day?[/QUOTE]
As I've mentioned earlier (one page back):

For those who are wondering about the Spiral Knight achievement/ticket (Star-Spangled Bomber - Get Cracking! Add the Firecracker bomb to your arsenal), they temporarily removed it. But, according to one of the developers (over at Steam forums), they will add it back on a later date.
[quote name='OOO Nick']Sorry about the mix up guys, please keep an eye out for this achievement on a later date of the event. Also, so long as you have a Firecracker bomb when it goes live, you will earn the achievement, so no worries![/QUOTE]
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23331322&postcount=96

No Hoard 4-pack? I'd be willing to get in on it as long as the person running the show was in good standing on CAG (trading feedback I mean) I could run it, but if its not required I'd rather not.

[quote name='Blackout']Are there any good shmups on sale or just cheap in general?[/QUOTE]

Jamestown seems to be the popular shmup right now. It's $6.69 right now. I haven't tried it myself, but it's getting pretty decent reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back