Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZerotypeX']Would dragon age be better played on a PC or console? DA:UE for $10.20 does sound tempting[/QUOTE]

It is sooooo much better on the PC.

[quote name='Meatyflakes']I'm in the same boat for Fallout 3 : GOTY (still bitter about the gamestop fiasco).

In regards to New Vegas, it's on sale (today and tomorrow only I think) at BestBuy (online and B&M) for $9.99 and it uses Steamworks. Considering it's listed @ 49.99 regular price on Steam 75% would be $12.50'ish, so it may actually be cheaper @ BB.[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks!

[quote name='BoringPat']Can a fellow Steam deal hunter in US help gift me DA:O Ultimate? Can't even see the deal in my region ...[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem helping you out. Shoot me a PM and we can exchange info.

I'm debating about buying torchlight, It looked pretty good and for that price I'm really tempted. What does everyone think about it? Buy or pass?

[quote name='hal']Absolutely!

Since all the bigger games have rather lackluster pricing, this would be a good day to get Defense Grid and Torchlight for those that don't already have them. And, as pointed out above, all the Defense Grid DLC can be redeemed for 3 lousy tickets.

Not a daily deal, but part of today's achivement game - Flight Control HD is a really fun casual game and it's $1.25.[/QUOTE]

This is all kinds of true!!!! I'm picking up Defense Grind DLC's I already have the main game. Awesome!!! And if you don't have Torchlight well now is the time!

I was so pumped for this sale but I haven't bought anything for the last 3 days. Alot of that is my fault for already owning so many games, but does anyone else feel like these big publisher (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) prices aren't low enough to warrant being Daily Deals?

[quote name='tankyroo']I'm debating about buying torchlight, It looked pretty good and for that price I'm really tempted. What does everyone think about it? Buy or pass?[/QUOTE]

Buy it, without a doubt! If you even enjoy action-RPG Diablo style games in the slightest, you owe it to yourself to check out Torchlight for $3.

Nothing for me today. Finally got my third ticket so I'm going to burn them on Alien Breed 2. Already have the first one so why not. Not much interest in the DLC.

[quote name='tankyroo']I'm debating about buying torchlight, It looked pretty good and for that price I'm really tempted. What does everyone think about it? Buy or pass?[/QUOTE]

It's a lot of fun. And there's a couple cool mods for it to mess with. The program to add/remove mods from the gui is called "Torchleech" I believe. I had a lot of fun playing it through and it was well worth the 10$ I paid. 3$ is definitely worth it even if you play it through only once.

Please hold off on Arma II unless you just have to have it. Kind of a joke that it was $7.99 a few months back and is now $19.99.

As for Two Worlds II, it's very rough around the edges and the first hour or so is so boring. However if you can hold on past that point, this game is an absolute blast. It's very underrated and for $17.99 I highly recommend it.

Though if you have the choice between Dragon Age and Two Worlds II and you haven't played either one, it's Dragon Age all the way!

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Would dragon age be better played on a PC or console? DA:UE for $10.20 does sound tempting[/QUOTE]

DAO:UE PC is a strategy-RPG - those normally play better w/ KB/mouse.
It also has that extra overhead tactical cam a la BG series.
I'd go w/ PC version, honestly.

[quote name='Doomtime']
As for Two Worlds II, it's very rough around the edges and the first hour or so is so boring. However if you can hold on past that point, this game is an absolute blast. It's very underrated and for $17.99 I highly recommend it.

Though if you have the choice between Dragon Age and Two Worlds II and you haven't played either one, it's Dragon Age all the way![/QUOTE]
Agreed w/ ALL of this.

Should I just get NFS: Hot Pursuit on Amazon Download? It's $17.99 and I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on it being cheaper here on Steam.......... hmm choices.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Any opinions on Two Worlds 2?[/QUOTE]

Two Worlds II got good reviews. I played the first game and liked it. The second is supposed to be better.

[quote name='VexxedCS']I was so pumped for this sale but I haven't bought anything for the last 3 days. Alot of that is my fault for already owning so many games, but does anyone else feel like these big publisher (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) prices aren't low enough to warrant being Daily Deals?[/QUOTE]

Everything is selling for pretty much what I expected it to. Capcom never seems to discount their games enough, Modern Warfare games have never had a fantastic sale either. All other franchises are selling for between 5 and 10 dollars if they are over a year old and the newer stuff seems stuck between 40 - 50.

All pretty much par for the course. What is missing from this sale are any of the fantastic 90% off daily deals or indy packs, or other rediculously discounted games. Major games are right about where they have always been.

[quote name='lassiterb']For anyone with Defense Grid, you can get all 4 dlc packs for under a dollar. For anyone without Defense Grid, buy it![/QUOTE]

Or you can use your tickets to get all 4 packs for free, but you know you could buy them to if you want.

Anyway, jumped on Tropico 3 pack and Dragon Age: Ultimate.

Although I haven't played much of Torchlight, my husband sunk like 40 hours into the game. There's an enormous wealth of content, and the environments are pretty amazing.

For those who are getting Torchlight, you may be interested to know that the modding community for it is quite healthy. A tool was even made to manage all of the mods called "Torchleech." However, a site admin over at the Torchlight mods fansite has posted an official notice for Torchleech:
Site Admin Note: As we seem to have lost contact with Mayo and there have been no updates to Torchleech in a very long time, Torchleech has now been replaced by HotSpot, which is integrated into RGF's Mods Database and will support both Torchlight 1 and 2 in one program. Follow the link for its download location.

So as of now, it's suggested that you use HotSpot for all of your mod management needs (http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=698). Supposedly, it'll even support Torchlight 2 when it comes out later this year.

I personally haven't tried HotSpot, but I do know that if you plan on using any more than a few mods with Torchlight, some kind of mod manager would be extremely helpful in checking for incompatibilities between the mods and also configure the load order.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Should I just get NFS: Hot Pursuit on Amazon Download? It's $17.99 and I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on it being cheaper here on Steam.......... hmm choices.[/QUOTE]

So far some of the games on sale at amazon have been cheaper on steam.

BFBC2 was $5 on both steam and amazon, but vietnam was cheaper on steam.
Same with DA:O Ultimate, a few bucks less on steam.

Seems like the steam deals are at least 50% off, so perhaps steam will beat amazon's 40% off.

Both are EA games too

How's AC1 on the PC? I have the PS3 version but haven't really played it yet. Would I enjoy it more on PC with the 360 controller? The price is ok but I was hoping it'd be 5$ or less.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Also, I seriously don't understand why games which came out on console and PC don't have an option for 360 controllers.[/QUOTE]
why would they?

DAO and RPG's play better on a keyboard

AC1 plays great on PC, though the 2nd game improves the formula immensely, it has invasive DRM, unless someone can confirm it having being removed.

[quote name='cRodz']why would they?

DAO and RPG's play better on a keyboard[/QUOTE]

I'd argue DA II plays quite well with a controller. DA:O no. But most devs dont see the need to do so when a console game is available. Most people dont just own a PC, they own a console and PC. I only use a controller on PC games when I want to hook it up to my HDTV, like when I played The Witcher 2. And a lot of other RPGs play well/better with a controller. Fallout plays great with a controller.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Also, I seriously don't understand why games which came out on console and PC don't have an option for 360 controllers.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age on PC is a different beast than Dragon Age Origins on Xbox. A controller severely limits what you can do in the game.

[quote name='The Nephilim']How's AC1 on the PC? I have the PS3 version but haven't really played it yet. Would I enjoy it more on PC with the 360 controller? The price is ok but I was hoping it'd be 5$ or less.[/QUOTE]

It runs well, and they added a few new mission types to the PC version to give it a little more variety. But if you already own it on PS3 it's not really worth buying it again unless you really want the best visuals.

Dragon Age: Whomever hasn't got Dragon Age Origins yet: go buy it now (of you like RPG's that is). It's a great game and a great price for all the DLC included as well!

Dragon age 2
is still too expensive for my likings though so I'll pass

Assassin's Creed: Already got the first. I would have bit on 2 for 5 euros but not 10. Brotherhood: only when I played 2 first

CoDMW2: Why is this game still so expensive? It's not even the newest in the series and far from the best. Worst deal ever.

Sniper: Tempting, but not for 7,50

I think I'll go for Torchlight which seems like a nice diablo-esque filler while waiting for Diablo 3. Defense Grid looks okay but not sure if I'll go for it.

The rest is not my cup of tea. Maybe Two Worlds 2 but I'd want to play the first one before that, and heard bad things about it so I guess I'll just skip it altogether. There's so many RPG's I still need to play (The Witcher 1 is still lurking in my backlog... unplayed)

Is anyone else paranoid that EA might pull more of there games off of steam (ala Crysis 2). I want to get DA2 but I feel its still to high, but then again i like having all my games in one place...what to do?

Got Torchlight and Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack today. Sigh, it's only day 4 and I'm already at my planned spending limit :cry: LOL

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Should I just get NFS: Hot Pursuit on Amazon Download? It's $17.99 and I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on it being cheaper here on Steam.......... hmm choices.[/QUOTE]

I got that for $15 during the EA week on Steam they had a couple months ago. It's possible it might go that cheap again.

Those of you buying DA:O ultimate, (and I strongly encourage it) DO NOT LAUNCH THE GAME FROM STEAM for the first time, this will break your DLC and you will need to reinstall. Instead go into the steam files and open the Dragon Age launcher. It sets up the DLC checker.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Anyone have any thoughts on Transformers? I've heard it's good and it looks good.[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like it's PS3/360 counterpart, it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're a TF fan. I got it last year for $40 and don't regret it one bit.

Is Torchlight relatively easy to mod if you have it on Steam?

[quote name='The Nephilim']How's AC1 on the PC? I have the PS3 version but haven't really played it yet. Would I enjoy it more on PC with the 360 controller? The price is ok but I was hoping it'd be 5$ or less.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have noticed all AC games were on sale if you didn't post, I looked quick and thought it was just AC Brotherhood. AC2 for $7 = my first sale purchase!

[quote name='THeMaddOx']Those of you buying DA:O ultimate, (and I strongly encourage it) DO NOT LAUNCH THE GAME FROM STEAM for the first time, this will break your DLC and you will need to reinstall. Instead go into the steam files and open the Dragon Age launcher. It sets up the DLC checker.[/QUOTE]

I never had a problem with that despite all the DLC problems I had heard. Maybe I'm the exception though.

[quote name='icedrake523']If it's anything like it's PS3/360 counterpart, it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're a TF fan. I got it last year for $40 and don't regret it one bit.

Is Torchlight relatively easy to mod if you have it on Steam?[/QUOTE]

yeah. it's easy.

[quote name='icedrake523']If it's anything like it's PS3/360 counterpart, it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're a TF fan. I got it last year for $40 and don't regret it one bit.

Is Torchlight relatively easy to mod if you have it on Steam?[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's easy, especially if you use mod tools like torchleech. Worked perfectly the last time I played it around a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back