Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I never had a problem with that despite all the DLC problems I had heard. Maybe I'm the exception though.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was one of the less lucky, it took me 3 downloads off of origen to get it working

[quote name='baz8771']Anybody know why Dawn of Discovery isn't on steam anymore?! I was hoping so hard for a sale on a complete pack and its not even available![/QUOTE]
You should find it under the title "Anno 1404". It's only called Dawn of Discovery in America, everywhere else it is known as Anno 1404. I'm guessing you're not situated in the states.
It's there, I checked it.

Edit: Weird, the game can't be bought anyway. I get this message on the page:
"Notice: The game is currently not available for purchase."

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and get Sniper for 5 bucks. I know its supposed to be kinda crappy, but maybe mods out there have fixed some of its issues.

Also torchlight for that price is a STEAL, almost bought it at direct2drive today when I saw it was 6....

[quote name='MysterD']So, does DAO: Ultimate from Steam register on EA Origin?
Anyone who has DAO: Ultimate from Steam try doing so?[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke? Why would you want to do that?

[quote name='mrsamsa']Anyone have any thoughts on Transformers? I've heard it's good and it looks good.[/QUOTE]

It is a fun game, but I disliked the single player. The pacing was on non-stop action for about the entire 45 minute mission, each mission.

Along the story is few and far between because essentially once you start a mission you usually don't get anymore story until the beginning of a new mission, which is text form. There are a few exceptions but that was usually how it ran.

But the combat is fun, sound is amazing, and the visuals can be quite good, although you may become bored with grey, red, and purple.

[quote name='Vegan']Is this a joke? Why would you want to do that?[/QUOTE]

I did this as I had the vanilla DA:O game with some of the DLC which was heavily modded. This allowed me to install my missing DLC without having to re-install all my mods. Plus it saves a lot by not having to re-download all the duplicate content.

Hmm Torchlight for only £2.59.. interesting.. Only played the demo on Mac before. Not sure.. worth it? Wish it had some kind of online co-op.

[quote name='Therapy']Any thoughts about The Polynomial? It cought my eye and looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up during the winter sale for a little less than the price right now, but it's beautiful. Try out the demo and see how you feel, but I liked it for what it was.

[quote name='Vegan']Is this a joke? Why would you want to do that?[/QUOTE]

You'll have BOTH Steam and Origin versions of the game.

Actually, I prefer the streamlined Origin installs and back-ups - no extra wasting of HDD space for installers and game-folder, since they the same.

Steam just has better features on...EVERYTHING ELSE.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Anyone have any thoughts on Transformers? I've heard it's good and it looks good.[/QUOTE]

I am a huge TF fan especially when it is the original Optimus voice actor (Peter Cullen). I will warn this is a total console port (locked at 30 FPS and cannot remap keyboard) but there are ways to get around it. I assume it must support a controller but I haven't played it that way so can't give feedback. It is the best TF game I have played but there are still a lot of better shooters out there. For $7.50 though I would say, go for it!

I will say that it's the best transformers game to date, which sadly isn't say much. It still isn't an all around good game, but it has it's fun moments and I think is worth 7.49

[quote name='Therapy']Dragon Age: Whomever hasn't got Dragon Age Origins yet: go buy it now (of you like RPG's that is). It's a great game and a great price for all the DLC included as well!

Dragon age 2
is still too expensive for my likings though so I'll pass

Assassin's Creed: Already got the first. I would have bit on 2 for 5 euros but not 10. Brotherhood: only when I played 2 first

CoDMW2: Why is this game still so expensive? It's not even the newest in the series and far from the best. Worst deal ever.

Sniper: Tempting, but not for 7,50

I think I'll go for Torchlight which seems like a nice diablo-esque filler while waiting for Diablo 3. Defense Grid looks okay but not sure if I'll go for it.

The rest is not my cup of tea. Maybe Two Worlds 2 but I'd want to play the first one before that, and heard bad things about it so I guess I'll just skip it altogether. There's so many RPG's I still need to play (The Witcher 1 is still lurking in my backlog... unplayed)[/QUOTE]

*whoever

I'll probably just buy 2 resurgance packs for Defense Grid (since I own the first one because I was trying to meet the threshold of a discount on D2D) and the Absolute Power expansion for Tropico 3 (since I own the base game).

[quote name='TheLongshot']I'll probably just buy 2 resurgance packs for Defense Grid (since I own the first one because I was trying to meet the threshold of a discount on D2D) and the Absolute Power expansion for Tropico 3 (since I own the base game).[/QUOTE]

I know they're only 96 cents, but just save 3 tickets and get them for free. Unless you are saving for something more the 1 ticket thing that involves no games will get you there by the end regardless. And that 96 cents can be used on something like penny arcade adventures or the oddworld games :p

[quote name='Lemarfanz']*whoever[/QUOTE]

Really? We're going to start grammar nazi'ing everything in the summer steam thread? Just go with the flow and enjoy. I personally think he did very nice typing all that up.

Don't get me wrong, I am a total grammar nazi, but it was only one mistake, no point in calling him out on it :p

[quote name='Daykain']I did this as I had the vanilla DA:O game with some of the DLC which was heavily modded. This allowed me to install my missing DLC without having to re-install all my mods. Plus it saves a lot by not having to re-download all the duplicate content.[/QUOTE]
You have to register your game at EA to get the DLC, period. You get the DLC through there, it is not included in the game even if you buy the Ultimate edition.

[quote name='dmdragon']I know they're only 96 cents, but just save 3 tickets and get them for free. Unless you are saving for something more the 1 ticket thing that involves no games will get you there by the end regardless. And that 96 cents can be used on something like penny arcade adventures or the oddworld games :p[/QUOTE]
I wish I would've realized that those map packs were available before I bought them at the start of the sale today. I had kind of focused on either getting the Magicka lonely cruise thing or the Alien Breed 2 game.

[quote name='pjb16']Not sure if I should bother getting Tropico 3 now, as I'll likely never get to it before the winter sale.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way. I hear Tropico 3 is great and the price is pretty low, I just don't think I'd get around to playing it. I just bought Civ IV a few weeks ago and have barely touched that. PRIORITIES PEOPLE!

[quote name='sotc1988']I feel the same way. I hear Tropico 3 is great and the price is pretty low, I just don't think I'd get around to playing it. I just bought Civ IV a few weeks ago and have barely touched that. PRIORITIES PEOPLE![/QUOTE]

Agreed, I need to stop buying stuff that I'm not going to be playing anytime soon. I got civ IV also, but haven't touched it. Also got a few this sale that I may never play, but will make for fun when I'm bored someday. Still, I need to chill lol

Edit.

I like to have it all installed just in case my internet goes out so I can still play them, just checked my steam folder size

160 GB

LOL

[quote name='utopianmachine']So far I've actually gotten more for my husband that for myself. But I'm more an indie gamer on Steam, preferring to play my "big" games on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Having my PC hooked up to my TV means it's all the same. :)

First day of not purchasing anything. Most of what is on sale that I would be interested in, I already own in one form or another. Only two that are tempting otherwise are DA:O (already own it and beat it on 360 and probably won't get to it any time soon on PC) and Assassin's Creed 2 (beat the first one on 360 and feel the need to finish the series on the console).

I do want to recommend both Torchlight and Defense Grid to anyone on the fence about picking eitherof them up. Like a previous poster, I had to force myself to stop playing Torchlight. The randomly generated dungeon maps will keep you exploring for some time. Seriously addictive. And Defense Grid may be the best tower defense game out there.

Think I am in for Transformers, and Iron Grip: warlord. Already have transformers for the ps3 but I enjoy pc gaming more and more these days, so I think I might move it over.

[quote name='DesertLeo']damn, Terrarria is 25% off. why am I so tempted? anybody have any impressions of this game for me?[/QUOTE]
The endless refrain: wait until the last day of the sale to buy games that aren't daily deals. Terraria may still show up as a daily deal, do not buy it yet!

Even though I have Torchlight on XBLA I grabbed it since it was so cheap on Steam. Same with the Defense Grid DLC. I'd rather save my tickets for exclusive content like the Portal or TF2 items.

[quote name='DesertLeo']damn, Terrarria is 25% off. why am I so tempted? anybody have any impressions of this game for me?[/QUOTE]

I bought it and played it for 1.5 hours right before bed. I literally tossed and turned all night dreaming of swinging the freaking axe and pickaxe. I was pumped to finally get the game, but my first impressions have been more 'meh' than 'OMG it's amazing!' like you see in the reviews.

Although, I tossed and turned around Christmas because of playing Plants vs. Zombies right before bed and had dreams all night of the zombies attacking.

Maybe the lesson is that I shouldn't play games immediately before bed? Or at least repetitive ones...

For $7.50, it's not a complete letdown in my eyes, but maybe I haven't hit the meat and potatoes of the game...I just don't agree with all of the stellar reviews that popped up for it.

[quote name='paulcalypse']The endless refrain: wait until the last day of the sale to buy games that aren't daily deals. Terraria may still show up as a daily deal, do not buy it yet![/QUOTE]

good point.

[quote name='blitztwn36']I bought it and played it for 1.5 hours right before bed. I literally tossed and turned all night dreaming of swinging the freaking axe and pickaxe. I was pumped to finally get the game, but my first impressions have been more 'meh' than 'OMG it's amazing!' like you see in the reviews.

Although, I tossed and turned around Christmas because of playing Plants vs. Zombies right before bed and had dreams all night of the zombies attacking.

Maybe the lesson is that I shouldn't play games immediately before bed? Or at least repetitive ones...

For $7.50, it's not a complete letdown in my eyes, but maybe I haven't hit the meat and potatoes of the game...I just don't agree with all of the stellar reviews that popped up for it.[/QUOTE]

thank you. it's seemed kinda "meh" to me, but i think it would be fun playing with a buddy.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']*whoever[/QUOTE]

Thank you for enlightening me with your wisdom and excuse me for being Dutch and making a slight and totally unimportant mistake, mister (or miss) grammar nazi. You have just made a contribution to this thread the likes of which has never been seen before. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmdragon']I am betting we will be seeing tararria for 5 bucks by the end, and a 4 pack for 17 or 18 making it even less.[/QUOTE]

i hope so. $5.00 would be my sweet spot for that game...

[quote name='DesertLeo']
thank you. it's seemed kinda "meh" to me, but i think it would be fun playing with a buddy.[/QUOTE]
It starts off pretty dang slow but it gets super fun once you get a few hours in and start seeing bosses. Playing through with a friend is an awesome amount of fun as well.

I own it. It's fun if you can withstand the repetitive nature. Basically if you like minecraft, you will like this and vise versa.

It requires a lot of work to build up a character but part of the fun is just exploring caves see what you can find and such. Like I said though, only if you don't mind doing that for the whole game. My girlfriend spent close to 100 hours in the game so far so it is a game to get your money's worth.

Is Terraria easy to go on and off? Meaning if I sporadically have periods of 1 hour to play, will it set me back somehow? Or can I just save whenever, leave, and get back in without trouble? Hope you get what I mean. I was thinking of getting it if it ends up in a daily deal.

Tried the polynomial demo but it won't even start... lol. Keep getting the same error. Guess I'll pass on it now.

[quote name='Therapy']Is Terraria easy to go on and off? Meaning if I sporadically have periods of 1 hour to play, will it set me back somehow? Or can I just save whenever, leave, and get back in without trouble? Hope you get what I mean. I was thinking of getting it if it ends up in a daily deal.[/QUOTE]
It will put you back at your spawn point next time you login. You could technically carry mats for a bed with you to set a new spawn point when you logoff but that makes getting back to your house a bit of a pain. In an hour though you can squeeze in a solid amount of activity and a full inventory.

[quote name='drakesvg']Is anyone else paranoid that EA might pull more of there games off of steam (ala Crysis 2). I want to get DA2 but I feel its still to high, but then again I like having all my games in one place...what to do?[/QUOTE]

EA didn't pull Crysis 2 off steam, steam did. Something about breaking a contract or something. Anyway, there is really no need to worry the game will be pulled. If you think you want to wait for a better price, wait.

[quote name='Therapy']Is Terraria easy to go on and off? Meaning if I sporadically have periods of 1 hour to play, will it set me back somehow? Or can I just save whenever, leave, and get back in without trouble? Hope you get what I mean. I was thinking of getting it if it ends up in a daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, and no. It is fun, and you can play for small periods of time, but last time I played it worked this way. You always respawn at your bed/spawn point. This is when you die, or when you log out. Everything is saved, but if your in a large dungeon, you'll have to go back.

Now, this was that last time I played, maybe they changed it, but you might want to keep that in mind.

[quote name='Therapy']Thank you for enlightening me with your wisdom and excuse me for being Dutch and making a slight and totally unimportant mistake, mister (or miss) grammar nazi. You have just made a contribution to this thread the likes of which have never been seen before. [/sarcasm][/QUOTE]

I already stuck up for you on this, you only made one mistake and being dutch you do a damn good job at your sentence structure I might add.

Those little eccentricities in language make it hard sometimes to do that with new languages.

Tempted to get AC2, but I played the first one on the 360 and kinda want to continue the series on there. Also, doesn't the PC version have that "always-on" internet required DRM?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Tempted to get AC2, but I played the first one on the 360 and kinda want to continue the series on there. Also, doesn't the PC version have that "always-on" internet required DRM?[/QUOTE]
That was patched out in AC2 and never used for AC:B. If you play these on PC I would recommend using a controller though. I played through the AC series on my PS3 and the Mouse/Keyboard controls just feel odd after using a controller.

I'm hesitant to spend any tickets. What if Valve adds better prizes for more tickets before the sale ends? After all, it does say this on their website: Prizes may be added or removed during the Summer Sale Period.

[quote name='rybrad']That was patched out in AC2 and never used for AC:B. If you play these on PC I would recommend using a controller though. I played through the AC series on my PS3 and the Mouse/Keyboard controls just feel odd after using a controller.[/QUOTE]
Contrary to popular belief the DRM was not patched out of AC2, it is still very much there. They did however soften it a bit by only requiring you to be online when you launch the game, it doesn't kick you out of the game if you lose connection like it did before.

[quote name='rybrad']That was patched out in AC2 and never used for AC:B. If you play these on PC I would recommend using a controller though. I played through the AC series on my PS3 and the Mouse/Keyboard controls just feel odd after using a controller.[/QUOTE]

How much better do the PC versions look?

And I'd be playing with a 360 controller, yeah.

[quote name='dmdragon']I already stuck up for you on this, you only made one mistake and being dutch you do a damn good job at your sentence structure I might add.

Those little eccentricities in language make it hard sometimes to do that with new languages.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, bud :) I noticed I made a mistake in that very sentence as well so I had to edit it (lol). I'm somewhat of a grammar nazi myself but I only comment if people really make a mess out of their sentences :p

BTW thanks everyone who answered my question about Terraria :D

Is Dragon Age origins a lot better on the PC than PS3? I own the ps3 version and I'm about 1/2 through the story.

Sorry if this was answered before -- huge thread.

Is Transformers War For Cybertron compatible with the 360 Wireless Controller? I can't seem to find that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back