Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for the AC Pack; with all the DLC stuff being free, the AC:B content being really cool (better than the console CE, IMO), and the overall price - plus the fact I want to be ready for Revelations - it just made sense. And I can sell/trade my console copies and sell off my CE contents to cover the cost :D

[quote name='jester55']Yeah, I'm thinking that 1 & 2 could be around the $5 range @ winter sale and Brother hood could be around $10-$15. My main thing is I want the deluxe versions of all of them at a decent price. That's where the confusion lies - how low will the deluxe versions go? [/QUOTE]

It's almost as if you expect us to go know what the future sales will bring. Games almost always go lower. We can't possibly guess the price of a game six months down the road. Generally, games only go down over time.

So if you're debating on getting a game you won't play anytime soon, you can afford to wait.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'm not sure if there's still a "standard" version of Assassin's Creed 2 offered on Steam; the only one I've seen is the deluxe version. Assassin's Creed 1 has always been the "Deluxe" director's cut on PC as well. The only one that has two different versions right now is Brotherhood.

I'm in the same boat, debating furiously whether to bite or not. It works out to be something like $13 for the deluxe version of Brotherhood in the pack (given you figure the other two are the normal sale price of $6 and change each.) That's mighty tempting.[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying. Did 1&2 start out like brotherhood though and eventually drop the standard version overall? I'm curious how long standard version will be around for brotherhood seeing how they are offering deluxe version in place of standard on collector pack...

[quote name='utopianmachine']It's almost as if you expect us to go know what the future sales will bring. Games almost always go lower. We can't possibly guess the price of a game six months down the road. Generally, games only go down over time.

So if you're debating on getting a game you won't play anytime soon, you can afford to wait.[/QUOTE]

I understand how you can think that. I'm sorry - I didn't explain myself well. I wasn't asking for a prediction. Just wanted insight on Ubisoft track record in dropping games on Steam. I know their console games drop fairly quickly especially the way they started annual releases of games like AC. Basically I'm trying to justify whether to purchase now or wait another 6 months for the possibility to get the aforementioned at a little cheaper price.

Thanks for you thoughts though! Hope I dont come across wrong.:lol:

[quote name='dmdragon']torchlight won't even load for me, just sits at "Preparing to load Torchlight"[/QUOTE]

I had that problem on my Mac. Just deleted and redownloaded, and it started right up.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Generally, the feeling is that unless you plan to play it in the near future (in this case, about six months), games will generally always be cheaper down the road.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Unless the current one on sale is $4.99, $2.99 or lower. Then steam often reuses the same price OR sometimes goes up a few bucks. Either way, anything 75-80%+ off and around $4.99 or lower is generally safe and good to get now. Steam does reapply those deals more than once too.

$5 or below is usually pretty easy stuff to decide on. Impulse price for sure.

$10 requires some thought and research usually unless I know the game really well. $10 makes for two potential impulse $5 deals and can be risky with a crap game.

Anything $20+ or above is often just too new for me to buy at the moment. It's usually not marked off around 75% and has to be REALLY REALLY wanted for me to buy it that soon.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Indeed. Unless the current one on sale is $4.99, $2.99 or lower. Then steam often reuses the same price OR sometimes goes up a few bucks. Either way, anything 75-80%+ off and around $4.99 or lower is generally safe and good to get now. Steam does reapply those deals more than once too.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the same, so thanks for your thoughts. I will just wait on AC for now until they drop to the 75% off/$5 range. I can wait over time and pick up the collection for around $15 that way over time. I have such a huge backlog, I have plenty to pay for the next couple years! :lol:

On that some note - what about Dragon Age Ultimate? My fear is that EA will continue to pull away from Steam with Origin, thereby reducing the number future steam sales on EA products. In other words - does anyone think this might be as good as it gets on DA:UE on Steam with the current EA/Steam debate?

(Like to keep everything on Steam - so not too excited about Origin!)

Thanks for the responses!

Out of these 3 - which would you say is best?

Tropico 3+Expansion
Tourchlight
or
Defense Grid?

So far they all look pretty good. Perhaps Tourchlight is the largest amount of gameplay, though the other 2 could be more addictive.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfmight']Out of these 3 - which would you say is best?

Tropico 3+Expansion
Tourchlight
or
Defense Grid?

So far they all look pretty good. Perhaps Tourchlight is the largest amount of gameplay, though the other 2 could be more addictive.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played Tropico, but I've played the other 2 and I think Torchlight.

[quote name='Phrozenx']I saw Dragon age 2 at gamersgate for $24 if anyone cares. cheaper than steams daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Cool!! The price on Gamersgate is so steal, but can it be activated on Steam?

Thanks

Tropico 3+Expansion
Tourchlight
or
Defense Grid?

So far they all look pretty good. Perhaps Tourchlight is the largest amount of gameplay, though the other 2 could be more addictive.[/QUOTE]

Those are all three widly different games. For my opinion, I vote Torchlight. It's quite robust with tons of playtime.

[quote name='starcow']Cool!! The price on Gamersgate is so steal, but can it be activated on Steam?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, but for that price it's still worth it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Those are all three widly different games. For my opinion, I vote Torchlight. It's quite robust with tons of playtime.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'd go with Torchlight

[quote name='chickenbutt']I haven't played Tropico, but I've played the other 2 and I think Torchlight.[/QUOTE]
I figured so. Sounds cool.

So far I've got

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Just Cause 2
Tropico 3 Gold

I've probably played Oblivion the most in the past, but I got the steam sale for the GOTY and Shivering Isles. Still need to go back and finish that amazing Shivering Isles and the DLC.

Currently though, I've been totally sucked into the Lead and Gold game. Pretty much took over my weekend free time lol. Super fun underrated online 3rd person old west shooter in my opinion. All online mutiplayer

I can't believe I'm contemplating 2.50 for defense grid when I just spent 6.50 at Starbucks.....

It's weird being an adult but still having the fear of spending small amounts of money like I'm a child :)

Perhaps a good theme for a cag blog?

[quote name='starcow']Cool!! The price on Gamersgate is so steal, but can it be activated on Steam?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I don't think it can, sorry bud.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I can't believe I'm contemplating 2.50 for defense grid when I just spent 6.50 at Starbucks.....

It's weird being an adult but still having the fear of spending small amounts of money like I'm a child :)

Perhaps a good theme for a cag blog?[/QUOTE]
you spent 6.50 dollars for coffee?

oh god the horror! :hot:

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I can't believe I'm contemplating 2.50 for defense grid when I just spent 6.50 at Starbucks.....

Perhaps a good theme for a cag blog?[/QUOTE]

You should have to buy it as penance for spending $6.50 at Starbucks :nottalking:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You should have to buy it as penance for spending $6.50 at Starbucks :nottalking:[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

I'm not really feelin defense grid so far. I am not a fan of the limited places you can put towers, makes it feel like there is a certain place/combo of towers that will beat each level easily. I was hoping for a more freeform TD game like SC/WC custom maps. If it looked better I'd give it more of a chance, but so far only regret so far during the sale.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
No, but I believe it can be activated on Origin if you use that.

[quote name='jester55']On that some note - what about Dragon Age Ultimate? My fear is that EA will continue to pull away from Steam with Origin, thereby reducing the number future steam sales on EA products. In other words - does anyone think this might be as good as it gets on DA:UE on Steam with the current EA/Steam debate?[/QUOTE]
Honestly, it's too hard to predict what's going to happen at this point. Popular logic was that EA wouldn't have any presence in this sale at all in favor of Origin, but so far, they've been in 3 of 4 daily deals and either match or surpass their own Origin sale.

I think a better way of phrasing it is this: which would you be more upset about, paying a little more than you might later, or missing out on it? There's no telling if it goes on sale again, if it stays on Steam, or if it drops to $5 by winter. It depends on how much you want the game, and how much any potential future discount means to you.

[quote name='Doomtime']Agreed, I'd go with Torchlight[/QUOTE]

Well I think with my vote being the 4th or 5th for Torchlight it makes it obvious if you like Diablo styled loot grinds at all that Torchlight is the game for you. There is a reason 100% of the responders said torchlight ;)

[quote name='jester55'] does anyone think this might be as good as it gets on DA:UE on Steam with the current EA/Steam debate? [/QUOTE]

DAO:U consists of a great game with lots of replayability (lots of endings and beginnings and side quests), an expansion, and all the DLC - for about $10. I'd be shocked to see it any less than $7 in the next year or two. It's completely worth the price if you like RPGs.

Tropico 3+Expansion
Tourchlight
or
Defense Grid? [/QUOTE]

Depends on the genre you like best. Overall, I've spent far more time with Defense Grid (184 hours vs 25 hours for Torchlight). Both are great.

Tropico 3 gets high praise but it didn't hook me right away - and I love sim games - but I do plan to try it again.

Hey guys, I know that Kane&lynch games were $5 each yesterday. Any chance they will be on sale again at the last day? I wanted to buy them but got caught up and right now I am afk.(posting from phone) thanx and sorry for noob q.

[quote name='darknight88']Hey guys, I know that Kane&lynch games were $5 each yesterday. Any chance they will be on sale again at the last day? I wanted to buy them but got caught up and right now I am afk.(posting from phone) thanx and sorry for noob q.[/QUOTE]
If I recall correctly, they've had encore days once or twice during these types of sales - but it doesn't happen every time!

By the way K&L are still on sale for the next hour and fifteen minutes.

[quote name='jester55']On that some note - what about Dragon Age Ultimate? My fear is that EA will continue to pull away from Steam with Origin, thereby reducing the number future steam sales on EA products. In other words - does anyone think this might be as good as it gets on DA:UE on Steam with the current EA/Steam debate?

(Like to keep everything on Steam - so not too excited about Origin!)

Thanks for the responses![/QUOTE]

I think you should get it now. First, it's an unbelievable value for the money. Dragon Age is a phenomenal game and you'll be getting a good 100 hours of gameplay here. Second, I don't think it'll be any cheaper than this (on Steam or Origin) for at least a year.

[quote name='darknight88']Hey guys, I know that Kane&lynch games were $5 each yesterday. Any chance they will be on sale again at the last day? I wanted to buy them but got caught up and right now I am afk.(posting from phone) thanx and sorry for noob q.[/QUOTE]

There's a chance, but I would guess a very, very slim one since I don't see it being a popular enough game for them to recycle.

they are still on sale. i'm sure you'll find somebody to gift them for you ?

Dam. I figured out why I couldn't pay. I'm in Vietnam right now, but I was putting a billing address from the United States. Does anyone know a way around this?

It is still on sale, my good man. You have to hurry if you want it, though. One hour to go ;)

I just bought and played Tower Defense Grid for a bit and I like it :) it's good fun if you're looking for a quick gaming boost.

Tropico 3+Expansion
Tourchlight
or
Defense Grid?

Another vote for Torchlight. If you like Diablo-type games, Torchlight will not disappoint. But I loved Defense Grid too. Great tower defense game. Heck, get both, they're so cheap! :bouncy:

(never played Tropico)

[quote name='daroga']so, if a game is not on sale, it won't hit a daily sale either, right? There's quite a few EA things I've been waiting for, but none of them are on general sale at this point. :p[/QUOTE]

I don't recall Two Worlds II being on sale at all until it became a Daily Deal. I guess I'll find out in a little over an hour...

[quote name='jester55']On that some note - what about Dragon Age Ultimate?[/QUOTE]

I have the the retail CE lying around somewhere but went ahead and bought it for the convenience of having everything in one place. Also, the CE items can be modded in with user-made stuff (it's the same thing in effect, just named differently/found in different places) and for $10, Awakening and the DLC are definitely worth it.

(I still need to suck it up and get through the underground mine thing. Ugh.)

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Another vote for Torchlight. If you like Diablo-type games, Torchlight will not disappoint. But I loved Defense Grid too. Great tower defense game. Heck, get both, they're so cheap! :bouncy:

(never played Tropico)[/QUOTE]

Tough call, I'm not a fan of Tropico style of strategy, so I would say Torchlight. Supposed to be a lengthy game and tons of mods.

Defense Grid is probably great too (downloading it as we speak) but I'm guessing thats a game best in short bursts

[quote name='chickenbutt']Dam. I figured out why I couldn't pay. I'm in Vietnam right now, but I was putting a billing address from the United States. Does anyone know a way around this?[/QUOTE]
What other people have been doing is sending paypal or some other payment to a member on CAG and then having them gift your account the game.

Thanx guys for the info. I'll try my best to buy before 1pm est. Also they worth it at $5 each guys? I mean I played the k&l 1 demo on ps3 but hated how the aim wasnt inverted. Something I would have no issue on pc. Also liked what I played too. Reminds me of max Payne which I loved.

[quote name='JP']What other people have been doing is sending paypal or some other payment to a member on CAG and then having them gift your account the game.[/QUOTE]

Asked on last page about paying back with Amazon Payments. Still waiting for someone :(

[quote name='chickenbutt']Dam. I figured out why I couldn't pay. I'm in Vietnam right now, but I was putting a billing address from the United States. Does anyone know a way around this?[/QUOTE]

Remote control a different pc in the us to make your purchase. Or have a us relative do it for you.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Asked on last page about paying back with Amazon Payments. Still waiting for someone :([/QUOTE]

maybe try the steam group buy thread, I've seen people post there with success, also not everyone uses amazon payments. Limits the cag pool you can get for help. This thread moves too fast.

I'm weak. I bit on the Assassin's Creed pack. I was going to get AC2 originally anyways, so for an extra $20 getting AC1 and AC:B Deluxe seemed pretty damn good. I was hesitant at first because $27 isn't a small chunk of change (and I'm fast running out of my budget for this sale), but someone pointed out that if it were in store on consoles, it'd be considered an outrageously good deal: Brotherhood, on sale, with AC1 and 2 free.

That was pretty convincing for me! Oh, how Steam has already warped my sense of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back