Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darknight88']Hey guys, I know that Kane&lynch games were $5 each yesterday. Any chance they will be on sale again at the last day? I wanted to buy them but got caught up and right now I am afk.(posting from phone) thanx and sorry for noob q.[/QUOTE]

Kane and Lynch are on sale for another hour. Just go and buy them now.

I thought I had made it through the day without buying anything, but then I tried the demo for torchlight and loved it. At only 3 bucks I had to get it.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'm weak. I bit on the Assassin's Creed pack. I was going to get AC2 originally anyways, so for an extra $20 getting AC1 and AC:B Deluxe seemed pretty damn good. I was hesitant at first because $27 isn't a small chunk of change (and I'm fast running out of my budget for this sale), but someone pointed out that if it were in store on consoles, it'd be considered an outrageously good deal: Brotherhood, on sale, with AC1 and 2 free.

That was pretty convincing for me! Oh, how Steam has already warped my sense of value.[/QUOTE]

I'm weak as well. I bought it a couple minutes ago after reading forums and seeing how everyone got a deluxe key, it was just too good to pass up. Considering Brotherhood itself is still $30 on consoles, this is a tremendous value.

I'm loving this sale so far. The first day I didnt buy anything but theres a ton of great, cheap games out there.

Besides hoarde, torchlight, and defense grid, I also decided to bite the bullet and bought Rift - really liking it so far. It is a lot like WOW, but for the first time perhaps ever in an RPG, I chose to be an offensive mage - much more interesting than standard good sword and shield wielding hero

I want the Assassin's Creed pack, but I refuse to support UbiSoft with their idiotic DRM still in place.
[quote name='ForeStorm']I don't recall Two Worlds II being on sale at all until it became a Daily Deal. I guess I'll find out in a little over an hour...
[/QUOTE]
TWII was not on sale earlier. Everyone has 40 minutes before it drops from the summer sale.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Dam. I figured out why I couldn't pay. I'm in Vietnam right now, but I was putting a billing address from the United States. Does anyone know a way around this?[/QUOTE]

i was in italy for 4 months recently and just had to change the country in my billing address, leaving everything else unchanged. worked for me. didn't get US prices though, fyi.

[quote name='boneless']Anyone play Bloody Good Time? A few months ago PC Gamer had a favorable review of it and it's 25% off at $3.74 right now. Interested in trying it but was wondering if anyone tried it.[/QUOTE]

There is no community for it. It's fun, though. it's by the same people who made "The Ship", and it has much better gameplay and a better theme.

But - nobody plays it. I bought it when it was released on the strength of the PC gamer review, and also because I wanted to play The Ship but I was late to the party. I didn't want to get left behind this time.

Anyway, there was a community for about 5 days when it was new. People seemed to get bored before they figured out its quirks and charms. My recommendation would be to buy copies for some of your more thoughtful and patient gamer friends, and get in a server together.

[quote name='scarhawk']I was just playing Osmos for the first time and I love the simplistic gameplay and the chimey music. Can't find that in a big budget game.
Don't get me wrong, I almost always prefer the AAA over the indie game but sometimes it's nice to take a breath of fresh air.[/QUOTE]

If you're enjoying Osmos, check out Eufloria, too.

After 23 hrs of debating to double dip on my unplayed PS3 version I got AC1 and also AC2. I've been doing more PC games these days anyway as the kids always have some dumb cartoon on.

[quote name='dmdragon']Trine just updated, looks like it's going to possibly have one of those ticket achievement things today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so did beat hazard.

nothing for me on day 4. so far i've picked up KOTOR, empire at war, and 2 copies of bfbc2 complete, one for a friend and a re-buy for me... had it on origin but i wanted to get vietnam and i'd rather have it on steam anyway. just 12 minutes until the next round of madness begins :)

[quote name='jester55']I understand how you can think that. I'm sorry - I didn't explain myself well. I wasn't asking for a prediction. Just wanted insight on Ubisoft track record in dropping games on Steam. I know their console games drop fairly quickly especially the way they started annual releases of games like AC. Basically I'm trying to justify whether to purchase now or wait another 6 months for the possibility to get the aforementioned at a little cheaper price.

Thanks for you thoughts though! Hope I dont come across wrong.:lol:[/QUOTE]

No, actually, it was a good question. There is a "bounce" factor with game sales - prices are high on release, drop at a certain rate that is based on popularity and publisher... and then see wicked discounts in the weekend deals/daily deals/seasonal sales.

For some games, the down-side of the bounce can take 3 months, most take 6 months, and some a year.

But then the up curve of the bounce happens, when the game either a) loses all popularity, or b) gets a GOTY version with a ton of DLC bundled in. Either case makes the game pricey all over again. The GOTY games eventually do see sales again, but after 2-3 years. (How long before Fallout 3 GOTY is under $10? Hopefully today, or this sale!)

There will be a 2nd bounce if a new version of the franchise comes out. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins Creed - games in these franchises are seeing big discounts now because there are new releases on the horizon. The publishers want you playing the OLD games now so that you'll be ready to pay full price for the NEW games in 3-6 months. Oh - Oblivion, too. Skyrim is 6 months away, so Oblivion GOTY was $7 here this summer. 6 months is just enough time to consume Oblivion, get a little rest, and be ready for Skyrim.

Edit: I just realized Skyrim is more like FOUR months away. OOOHHHHHH YYEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHH *glazed eyes* *drool a little*

As was the case yesterday, my downloads go to shit 15 minutes before the sale starts. Hate that. That and the glitchiness of the steam gifting interface. Seems to be having troubles off and on. That and CAG seems to go a bit screwy around the same time. Could be coincidence.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'm weak. I bit on the Assassin's Creed pack. I was going to get AC2 originally anyways, so for an extra $20 getting AC1 and AC:B Deluxe seemed pretty damn good. I was hesitant at first because $27 isn't a small chunk of change (and I'm fast running out of my budget for this sale), but someone pointed out that if it were in store on consoles, it'd be considered an outrageously good deal: Brotherhood, on sale, with AC1 and 2 free.

That was pretty convincing for me! Oh, how Steam has already warped my sense of value.[/QUOTE]

Someone told me the same thing.

So much for willpower.

[quote name='dmdragon']Trine just updated, looks like it's going to possibly have one of those ticket achievement things today.[/QUOTE]

Look's like it will be, I checked the achievements and this is at the bottom:

Summer Dip

Stay underwater for more than 40 seconds without taking damage

This games been in my backlog from the humble indie bundle...anyone know where/how to do this?

[quote name='BGriffith']Look's like it will be, I checked the achievements and this is at the bottom:

Summer Dip

This games been in my backlog from the humble indie bundle...anyone know where/how to do this?[/QUOTE]
There are items that allow waterbreathing, so anywhere once you have that, I think I got it early on level 2 or 3

[quote name='BGriffith']Look's like it will be, I checked the achievements and this is at the bottom:

Summer Dip

This games been in my backlog from the humble indie bundle...anyone know where/how to do this?[/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I've played it, so I don't remember. However, there have been a lot of videos posted for the summer sale achievements, so you can probably do a search a bit after it goes live.

Also, if you haven't played Trine yet, you're in for a treat. I absolutely loved it.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm not really feelin defense grid so far. I am not a fan of the limited places you can put towers, makes it feel like there is a certain place/combo of towers that will beat each level easily. I was hoping for a more freeform TD game like SC/WC custom maps. If it looked better I'd give it more of a chance, but so far only regret so far during the sale.[/QUOTE]

The later levels open up quite a bit; you get to "herd" the aliens.

Today's deals:
Homefront
Fallout New Vegas Franchise
Mount & Blade Franchise
Serious Sam HD
Doom Complete Pack
RUSE and DLC
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Alpha Protocol
Singularity
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Frozen Synapse
Trine

[quote name='lito88']is that a good deal for it?[/QUOTE]

I personally love the serious sam games.

It looks like the gold version is 7.49 and the HD 2 pack is 5.99

The only difference from what i can see is that the Gold has a copy of each one in hd and the original ones in sd. If you just want the HD then go with the regular 2 pack for 5.99

[quote name='dmdragon']I personally love the serious sam games.

It looks like the gold version is 7.49 and the HD 2 pack is 5.99

The only difference from what i can see is that the Gold has a copy of each one in hd and the original ones in sd. If you just want the HD then go with the regular 2 pack for 5.99[/QUOTE]

wasn't this pack like 4 bucks during the wintersale?

[quote name='crystalklear64']thoughts on bionic commando games?[/QUOTE]

I like bionic command rearmed, but I wouldn't get it unless you have a controller, that game looks to be fucking hard with a keyboard.

i'm interested in mount and blade, but i dont' want to buy the complete pack...what would you guys recommend for someone who hasn't played any of the games? are the others expansions or stand-alone games?

I've been waiting on Alpha Protocol and this is the first time it's been $5. I know a lot of people shit on the game, but once you figure out how to get around it's "quirks" it can be quite fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back