Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lito88']wasn't this pack like 4 bucks during the wintersale?[/QUOTE]

No idea.

ahh, as much as I want serious sam I think I'll wait. I probably won't play it right now and I can just wait for the winter sale.

[quote name='solohunter']i'm interested in mount and blade, but i dont' want to buy the complete pack...what would you guys recommend for someone who hasn't played any of the games? are the others expansions or stand-alone games?[/QUOTE]

skip the vanilla M&B as Warband is an updated version with multiplayer. Fire & Sword adds guns. All are standalone games.

[quote name='solohunter']i'm interested in mount and blade, but i dont' want to buy the complete pack...what would you guys recommend for someone who hasn't played any of the games? are the others expansions or stand-alone games?[/QUOTE]

All 3 are standalone. I hear Warband is the best, but the complete pack is probably worth it. Its not really a great game, but if you're into the medieval genre of movies, books and games, you may love the hell out of it like I do.

For once I predicted a sale right! Knew New Vegas wouldn't be < $10. And the DLC is $3 a pop, perfect. I'm cackling maniacally at the moment. Although how the hell is it a "franchise" sale on Fallout when 3 is still sitting at 33% off?

Trine and Serious Sam are great games at great prices if ya don't have 'em already.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Trine looks good, but should I just buy that or get the bundle with Shadowgrounds? Is that any good?[/QUOTE]

I've only played about an hour or so of Shadowgrounds, but it's a decent game. Nothing amazing, but fun enough. Trine, in my opinion, is must have, so at the very least get that. I got all three from the Humble Indie Bundle that was just Frozenbyte games. Trine alone is worth $7.50, so look at it as getting Shadowgrounds for free :D

[quote name='Genocidal']Any opinions on Bionic Commando (not Rearmed)? The Metascore is low, but the trailer looked interesting, almost Spiderman-esque.[/QUOTE]

It's soooooooooooo bad. I have it for PS3. The NES version is much better imo....

[quote name='Genocidal']Any opinions on Bionic Commando (not Rearmed)? The Metascore is low, but the trailer looked interesting, almost Spiderman-esque.[/QUOTE]

I loved it. There seems to be a really split opinion on it. Swinging through the city/trees is awesome and the music is terrific. The combat is generally satisfying especially if you use the environment (throwing cars at people or launching them into the atmosphere with your arm). Admittedly its not a perfect game and you will find some annoyances, but I've played through it at least 3-4 times so far.

I have it for 360 and I liked it. One of the best $6 retail games I've ever bought ;)... (on 360)

People will complain about how it isn't open world like many Spidey games.

Considering BC: Rearmed... but these prices aren't "wowing" me :(... I think I will pass. $2.50, and it's an insta-buy!

BTW, tried out Defense Grid this morning for the first time ever. Actually had a lot of fun. Usually not a fan of the TD genre, but I like this one. Thanks for the recommendations fellow CAGs :D

So.. I bought the New Vegas DLCs... Nothing happened after I purchased, no download, nothing. I tried launching New Vegas, now it won't even run... just keeps freezing?

It's fucking horrible. Seriously, it makes me want to punch babies.

I was hoping Steam would match BB $10 price for Fallout New Vegas or at least give us Fallout 3 GOTY for that same price.... oh well

I haven't purchased much during this Summer sale but that is mostly due to the fact that own most the games that have gone on sale, holding on for a deal on the Prince of Persia games

[quote name='CACG']It's soooooooooooo bad. I have it for PS3. The NES version is much better imo....[/QUOTE]

The swinging is really fun. Combat is decent but the game has a ton of cheap deaths. This compounded with the fact that the check points are really really stingy so you will replay the same section a lot.

$10 isn't bad but if I wouldn't add it to a large backlog.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I haven't purchased much during this Summer sale but that is mostly due to the fact that own most the games that have gone on sale,[/QUOTE]
That's the item I'm running into. Once your steam library hits a certain size, these sales really don't hold much. I have 239 in my list, so a lot of these sales are about finding something I don't already own.

I picked up Frozen Synapse. I was going to gift it to someone but it turns out they already have it. If someone wants to trade me for the extra copy I'd be interested in just about anything. Feel free to PM me or send me a message on steam (Steam name: MrBryson)

[quote name='Doomtime']The Doom Collection is a pretty good deal and I would recommend Trine at that price.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up on the Doom collection, the older games run in DOSBox. I'd recommend copying the .wad files out of Steam and using a source port like ZDoom, ZDaemon, or Skulltag to play them.

Thanks for the opinions on BC. I was considering the pack for $12.50, but I think I'll hold off.

So this was asked a couple pages back but I don't see an answer. Can you just buy Fallout New Vegas DLC today and but the game from BB then activate it in steam and add the DLC later?

Doom Complete, yes or no?

Alpha Protocol, yes or no?

I hated Bionic Rearmed. Not that it was a bad game but the no jumping thing really bothered me. Like not being able to shoot and run in RE5.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I was hoping Steam would match BB $10 price for Fallout New Vegas or at least give us Fallout 3 GOTY for that same price.... oh well

I haven't purchased much during this Summer sale but that is mostly due to the fact that own most the games that have gone on sale, holding on for a deal on the Prince of Persia games[/QUOTE]

I agree on the New Vegas Price. I skipped it and only picked up the 3.75 mount and blade expansion. Still six more days to go and I'm saving some till later in the week to see what else comes up.

Does anyone have the Tropico bundle? Wanted to buy it but the deal is gone now :drool: I offer to pay in Paypal or up to $5 on a steam game.

[quote name='aus_nacht']So this was asked a couple pages back but I don't see an answer. Can you just buy Fallout New Vegas DLC today and but the game from BB then activate it in steam and add the DLC later?

[/QUOTE]

Super yes to Alpha Protocol.

[quote name='AFarewell2Arms']How does Bully play compared to the console version? I'm curious as to why the Metacritic score is about 10 points lower for the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind when Bully was released for the PC originally it was a total buggy mess of a game. Since then there have been patches released that have made the game a lot better. I played through it last year (Steam version) with no issues that come to mind. That would be my guess for the meta-critic scores. Typically those reviewers do their reviews on the first released version (in this case the buggy one) and do not update the score if the game is fixed later.

I'm annoyed by the "Franchise sale" for Fallout. I would think that should include Fallout 3, and possibly even Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. As someone posted above, for this franchise, today, it seems to mean "one game and its DLC."

Hard to complain about sales, but if they're calling it a "franchise sale", they could at least, ya'know, put the FRANCHISE on SALE.

Hoping for a mid-day fix on this and the othe Franchise games get the 70% off treatment too. That would be $8.99 for FO3 GOTY, and that sounds about right for a sale.

[quote name='AFarewell2Arms']How does Bully play compared to the console version? I'm curious as to why the Metacritic score is about 10 points lower for the PC version.[/QUOTE]
some of the parts really lag like when you're trying to defend the nerd kid giving his speech while jocks try to egg him. its practically unplayable. most of the game runs fine though.

Thoughts on some of the deals, if anyone cares:

$2 - Trine: do you like platformers with a few puzzle elements? Get it. It's a fun ride (maybe a bit short), but the graphics are pretty and it's satisfying.

$4 - M&B With Fire and Sword: Mount&Blade with guns. I always did want to try it out...I'll probably grab it. The horseback combat is really fun, but I'm not sure how the introduction of guns stops my axe/shield/lance character from the previous games. Probably stops him very quickly.

$5 - Alpha Protocol: decent gameplay for a Splinter Cell/RPG hybrid thing. Story choices sorta seem to matter (in the short run), but some things are just wonky. I'm finding the game much more fun and far less frustrating running around with a shotgun and SMG (and high toughness), not caring about alarms or sneakiness versus having to worry about being spotted that one time or waiting for just the right moment. Run in, blow some caps, move on. (tl;dr: buy it if you're interested in the game. You'll get $5 out of it.)

$13 - Frozen Synapse: I have wanted to try this game out (after reading about it on what was probably Penny Arcade or PC Gamer...I can't remember), but $13's too much for the "buy it 'cuz it's cheap" mentality.

I'll probably end up skipping today, but there are some good things to be had (get Trine! It's TWO DOLLARS!).

Definitely recommend trine was my favorite pickup from the christmas sale before last.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's been a while since I've played it, so I don't remember. However, there have been a lot of videos posted for the summer sale achievements, so you can probably do a search a bit after it goes live.

Also, if you haven't played Trine yet, you're in for a treat. I absolutely loved it.[/QUOTE]

just hop in water change characters when you run out of breathe will get it a little into 3rd character, for that ticket.

To those of you who wanted to pick up Fallout NV DLC and are waiting for their Best Buy copy: you can have a friend gift you the DLC without purchasing the game itself.

[quote name='aus_nacht']

Doom Complete, yes or no?

[/QUOTE]

I bought Doom complete in the last big sale. I did finish up Doom 3 in the last few weeks. I haven't played the expansion yet. I would say the game still looks terrific graphically. The atmosphere is pretty creepy and I jumped quite a few times. I enjoyed the game for the most part but there are some issues. For one the enemy AI is pretty pathetic. In that way the game is very easy on standard difficulty. Also, the game is too long in my opinion. It lasted me for nearly 20 hours and for this kind of intense games with constant jump-scares it was just way too damn long. Took me 2 months to get through it.

Dont need to say much about the older games, they speak for themselves. Classic, great games but very dated.

Alpha Protocol is a nice RPG and that is a good price on it. I would recommend it. Its very linear though and pretty short for RPG standards, but you should get some good enjoyment out of it.

[quote name='ForeStorm']
$13 - Frozen Synapse: I have wanted to try this game out (after reading about it on what was probably Penny Arcade or PC Gamer...I can't remember), but $13's too much for the "buy it 'cuz it's cheap" mentality.
[/QUOTE]

You get two copies of Frozen Synapse at that price. You get to gift a copy to a friend. Find someone here in the steam group sales thread, or a friend IRL, and you're looking at

[quote name='ForeStorm']Thoughts on some of the deals, if anyone cares:

$2 - Trine: do you like platformers with a few puzzle elements? Get it. It's a fun ride (maybe a bit short), but the graphics are pretty and it's satisfying.

$4 - M&B With Fire and Sword: Mount&Blade with guns. I always did want to try it out...I'll probably grab it. The horseback combat is really fun, but I'm not sure how the introduction of guns stops my axe/shield/lance character from the previous games. Probably stops him very quickly.

$5 - Alpha Protocol: decent gameplay for a Splinter Cell/RPG hybrid thing. Story choices sorta seem to matter (in the short run), but some things are just wonky. I'm finding the game much more fun and far less frustrating running around with a shotgun and SMG (and high toughness), not caring about alarms or sneakiness versus having to worry about being spotted that one time or waiting for just the right moment. Run in, blow some caps, move on. (tl;dr: buy it if you're interested in the game. You'll get $5 out of it.)

I'll probably end up skipping today, but there are some good things to be had (get Trine! It's TWO DOLLARS!).[/QUOTE]

One thing about frozen synapse, it comes with 2 copies so you could split it like I just did, then its only 6.25

[quote name='ForeStorm']Thoughts on some of the deals, if anyone cares:

.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to point out you get TWO copies of Frozen Synapse for $12.50 - so it's $6.25 each. I haven't tried it yet, but for $6.25, I might have to bite.

Edit: Ninja'd by the crew above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back