Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit... I'm seriously in doubt whether I should get Singularity or not... I like a nice shooter. I've recently finished FEAR 1 and its DLC and was planning to play FEAR 2 though. But that might not last me to the next sale... On the other hand I have plenty of other games in my backlog. No shooters though. Argh :p

I believe it has less to do with with a lack of information, and more to do with CAGs general focus on maximizing savings. There just really isn't a rush to discuss anything but the daily deals until the sale nears its end. Also, most of those titles end up in the sale every year, at around the same price point, so I believe most of the regular CAGs already own them or at least aware of them.

I do agree though, there are a lot of great games that don't end up in the daily deals.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']The more I look at the posts in this steam summer thread compared to the one on places like NeoGaf, it quickly becomes apparent how limited CAGs are in terms of their ability to investigate games they've not heard of before on a regular basis or seen a commercial of on television.

Sad bear is sad. You guys missed out on a lot of great CHEAP content because you've never heard of it. That said, I'm glad Frozen Synapse is getting a lot of love. Everyone buy it because it's absolutely stunning in its gameplay design. Those who have bought it are claiming that it's their 2011 strategy GOTY.
...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ansé Solis']That's the point I'm making. You want me to sell you on these games? I'm not going to do that. I gave you a bare list of 30-odd games. Now go do some research instead of asking me to be a human billboard as to which, if any, of them interest you.

www.youtube.com
www.gamerankings.com
www.metacritic.com[/QUOTE]
I think the other problem is there is so many indie games out there and a lot of them are coming up good. Even with research it's hard for me to say yes, I want to get this game but not this game. Because I am the type of gamer who will play anything as long as it's good. I am not bound by generes (well I don't like sports games for the most part but other than that).

[quote name='gcorlett']Wait 'til the last day to buy FO3. You'll be kicking yourself if you pay $22.50 and it goes on sale for $10. :D

Regarding FO1 and 2 and Tactics, I would suggest getting them at GOG.com instead of Steam. You'll have to check for prices in Euros... Up til yesterday (?) they were on sale for US$3 each at GOG, but now they are back up to US$6 each. But for that low low price, you get all that loving goodness that GOG puts into game re-releases (wallpapers, soundtracks, the Fallout Bible, etc). It's just a ton of good stuff.

Might cost a little more than the Fallout package on Steam though. But you're getting a lot more from GOG.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of GOG.com and I'm not sure if it works for Europe? Looks like a downloadable thing though. Is it another client just like steam? Thanks for the info btw :)

SINGULARITY SHORT REVIEW

Singularity is a poor man's Bioshock.

It desperately wants to be relevant but lacks the ambience, atmosphere, intelligence, and design that game. There is very little resembling a great villain/hero such as Andrew Ryan, or great character design as of that of the Big Daddies or Little Sisters. In fact, it just doesn't happen.

Singularity is the gaming equivalent of a B-Movie. It does what it does moderately well, but excels in no way, shape, or form. It's novelty without the substance.

Pick it up if you want something to fill in the space between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, but with much better games like Just Cause 2 costing only $4.99 in this sale, I honestly can't recommend anyone spending $7.49 on Singularity.

[quote name='helmet']I believe it has less to do with with a lack of information, and more to do with CAGs general focus on maximizing savings. There just really isn't a rush to discuss anything but the daily deals until the sale nears its end. Also, most of those titles end up in the sale every year, at around the same price point, so I believe most of the regular CAGs already own them or at least aware of them.

I do agree though, there are a lot of great games that don't end up in the daily deals.[/QUOTE]

This would be true if games like Defense Grid and Spacechem, both games that were daily deals, weren't completely overlooked.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think the other problem is there is so many indie games out there and a lot of them are coming up good. Even with research it's hard for me to say yes, I want to get this game but not this game. Because I am the type of gamer who will play anything as long as it's good. I am not bound by generes (well I don't like sports games for the most part but other than that).[/QUOTE]

To be fair: There are still another five days left in the sale. After today's daily deals go up, everyone can take a few minutes of their time to gloss over a few trailers for like five of the games in the list every day. By the time July 10, the last day of the summer sale comes up, they can pick up what they like. But to say there are so many good indie games, that I can't choose buy any is a cop-out. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

[quote name='Therapy']Never heard of GOG.com and I'm not sure if it works for Europe? Looks like a downloadable thing though. Is it another client just like steam? Thanks for the info btw :)[/QUOTE]

GOG.com is a site that sells classic PC games that have zero DRM and it doesn't use a client. It's a legit service. They also offer extra goodies for most of the games there such as soundtracks, wallpapers, avatars, etc. I've been a customer since it launched and have since purchased more games from them than I can count.

Another great thing about GOG is the excellent community forums. There are almost always FAQs and threads there about optimizing games, particularly with mods (Baldurs Gate, the Fallout games, etc.), not to mention strategies and game tips.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I added ya to Steam. I definitely suck at this game. The tutorial didn't cover what "checking" does. What does it exactly do?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to specify and fixed my original post:

"y'all need to add DarthIsurus (steam) and Isurus (in game, Texas [first one] server ) to your friends list so i can pwn you noobs."

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']
And I want tags for my games, gosh darn it.
[/QUOTE]

Right-click on your games. "Set Category". Create categories to your heart's content. You can't use multiple categories (like tags) but you can get creative and get the same effect.

My Steam game categories are:
"Unplayed", (for the ever-expanding backlog)
"Playing",
"Done",
"Done... for now",
"Done and Loved",
"Done and Hated".

[quote name='helmet']I believe it has less to do with with a lack of information, and more to do with CAGs general focus on maximizing savings. There just really isn't a rush to discuss anything but the daily deals until the sale nears its end. Also, most of those titles end up in the sale every year, at around the same price point, so I believe most of the regular CAGs already own them or at least aware of them.

I do agree though, there are a lot of great games that don't end up in the daily deals.[/QUOTE]

This is accurate. I'm usually one of the people who compiles the lists of games that are particularly cheap, but I'm pretty satiated when it comes to cheap games. I don't have a compelling reason to compile such a list, although I did gloss over the games under $10 on steam and a few caught my eye. However, the majority of them I already own since they were on sale in previous steam sales.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This would be true if games like Defense Grid and Spacechem, both games that were daily deals, weren't completely overlooked.
[/QUOTE]

Coincidentally, I ended up overlooking Frozen Synapse until you mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up, glad I grabbed in in the last couple of minutes.

[quote name='Therapy']Never heard of GOG.com and I'm not sure if it works for Europe? Looks like a downloadable thing though. Is it another client just like steam? Thanks for the info btw :)[/QUOTE]

Ha - yes. Good Old Games. They are in Europe; you shouldn't have any problems. They license older games (1990-2005, mostly) from publishers that aren't producing them anymore. They make a nice release package with tons of extras and sell for $5.99 or $9.99 (US). Not sure what that is in Euros but for comparison, $5.99 is a fast-food meal and $9.99 is a paperback book. :)

They are very reputable and they get a lot of love on this site. I've been using them since they were in beta, a few years ago. They've only gotten bigger since then, adding some (former) AAA titles like Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Keeper,Alpha Centauri, and others. The catalog is spotty but it's fun to browse and find old classics that you might have missed the first time around.

One of the major selling points is that all of their games are DRM-free, and there's no download client. Just buy, download, install, play. If you ever need to download again, just log in and download again. All of your catalog is always available to you.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']The more I look at the posts in this steam summer thread compared to the one on places like NeoGaf, it quickly becomes apparent how limited CAGs are in terms of their ability to investigate games they've not heard of before on a regular basis or seen a commercial of on television.

Sad bear is sad. You guys missed out on a lot of great CHEAP content because you've never heard of it. That said, I'm glad Frozen Synapse is getting a lot of love. Everyone buy it because it's absolutely stunning in its gameplay design. Those who have bought it are claiming that it's their 2011 strategy GOTY.

Other titles you guys should look into:

Everyday Shooter - $2.50
Stubbs the Zombie - $2.50
Zen Bound 2 - $1
Guns of Icarus $1.25
Eschalon Book 1 - 3.74
Eschalon Book 2 - $4.99
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack - $1.80
The Tiny Bang Story - $3.40
Lume - $2.38
Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples II pack - $6.24
Galcon Fusion - $3.40
Chaos Theory (not Splinter Cell) - $1.70
Shatter - $2.50
Faerie Solitaire - $1.25
Rag Doll Kung Fu - $2.50
Quantz - $2.50
Osmos - $2.50
Freedom Force pack - $5.01
Eufloria - $3.75
Darkstar One - $2.50
Children of the Nile - $2.50
Chime - $1.25
Mr. Robot - $2.50
Puzzle Bots - $1.25
Crash Time 2 - $4.99
Hinterland - $2.49
Spectromancer - $2.49
Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance - $4.99
Caster - $1.00
Arcadia - $1.70
Gratuitous Space Battles - $4.99

IGN also has a list of the top games you guys should look into that you might not have heard of yet:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1180270p1.html[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're getting at here, people want what people want. It's not really a big deal at all.

That being said, thanks for the heads up on Stubbs, I had forgotten about that game.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']

To be fair: There are still another five days left in the sale. After today's daily deals go up, everyone can take a few minutes of their time to gloss over a few trailers for like five of the games in the list every day. By the time July 10, the last day of the summer sale comes up, they can pick up what they like. But to say there are so many good indie games, that I can't choose buy any is a cop-out. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.[/QUOTE]
Right but when there is a list of all these great indie games, I find it hard to determine if I would not only like a game but want to keep playing it throughout my time with it especially when there is a crapload of other good indie games. I mean if a good game I find interesting goes on sale I will buy it, but there becomes a point where if there is so many good games, it's hard to just say ok yes, I want this and this, because it's often a bunch of games that look really good to me. I am not just going to buy 10 indie games because they look good, and the fact that they are indie developers.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This would be true if games like Defense Grid and Spacechem, both games that were daily deals, weren't completely overlooked.
[/QUOTE]

Please. Defense Grid has been on sale so many times for $5 or less, that over half of the people on my Steam friends list have it. It's a great game, but it's a dead horse. (I did buy the DLC this time around tho because they've never been so cheap!)

Spacechem - I'm actually playing it right now because I love indie puzzle games. But I'd never recommend this. It's too esoteric for most gamers.

Many of the games on your list are a big "meh" for me, although I really like Osmos and Eufloria, and have suggested both in this thread. Children of the Nile is a complete suckfest; have you really played that? The rest are a matter of personal genre taste.

I think it's possible to get "indie burnout" just as bad as big-title burnout. There is a sameness to many of the indie games... platformers are platformers. Arcade games entertain for about 30 minutes before they devolve into mindless repetition. Puzzle games are rarely innovative. Spacechem is definitely one of a kind, though.

There's usually a sub-theme running through this thread among those of us who enjoy indies. I think if you've actually read this entire thread, you'd know that. But I agree with you that most CAGers at Summer Sale time are looking for $25 off a $50 game, not $5 off a $10 game. But you don't have to call us "limited in ability" to make your point.

Just a heads up, I checked my wishlist and both STALKER: Clear Sky and both Deus Ex games are 75% off, I believe they were cheaper before. Possible franchise daily on both of those series?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Right but when there is a list of all these great indie games, I find it hard to determine if I would not only like a game but want to keep playing it throughout my time with it especially when there is a crapload of other good indie games. I mean if a good game I find interesting goes on sale I will buy it, but there becomes a point where if there is so many good games, it's hard to just say ok yes, I want this and this, because it's often a bunch of games that look really good to me. I am not just going to buy 10 indie games because they look good, and the fact that they are indie developers.[/QUOTE]

This is also just a really terrible sale for a lot of indie games (in comparison to previous sales) as far as prices go. Many of these games are going for 3-4 times what they would cost in the indie bundles that Steam has been pumping out for the last few sales. Not saying they aren't worth it at their current price, but I would definitely prefer to get five games for $5 than one for $3.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Right but when there is a list of all these great indie games, I find it hard to determine if I would not only like a game but want to keep playing it throughout my time with it especially when there is a crapload of other good indie games. I mean if a good game I find interesting goes on sale I will buy it, but there becomes a point where if there is so many good games, it's hard to just say ok yes, I want this and this, because it's often a bunch of games that look really good to me. I am not just going to buy 10 indie games because they look good, and the fact that they are indie developers.[/QUOTE]

I never said support indie developers. Not once. Buy what you want. Just make sure you take the time to know everything that is out there before you settle on a purchase. In fact I never used the word indie. You're the one hung up over it. They're all just games to me. It's like you need a game developed by a big-time publisher for it suddenly be considered a "normal" game.

Apart from that, you're using the old, "It's not you indie games, it's me.", line of argument and it's just as ill conceived as when a chick says it to break a relationship.

[/QUOTE]

The difference is that we're discussing daily deals and not every title on sale because this is CAG and we're being cheap, knowing that the last day is the REAL day to shop for the rest of the games that are on sale.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think once the sale is over, we should start a new thread because threads this big can cause database issues, even with the issues fixed that we had problems with 500+ post threads in the past.[/QUOTE]

Even better, could we start a "recommend a Steam sale non-daily deal" thread? It would be handy, for now, to have a separate place to discuss those deals before the final day so that we can all get in recommendations without having to hunt through dozens of pages talking about dead deals.

Man I am so glad, it looks like a pass day for me :D my wallet says yay. Still might have to pick up some DLC for Civilization V and A.I. wars hmm maybe King Arthur too but the Druids still might be to expensive.

[quote name='alangee']Do people still play CoD4? And how cheap was Civ V on GamersGate?[/QUOTE]

It was $11 I believe (and registered on steam)

Might be time to catch up on some of the Stalker expansions at those prices..

Guild Wars is still too expensive for me, though I'm sure its a lot of content for the price. Wish Eye of the North was part of the "trilogy", I'd definitely consider purchasing it if I could get everything. :(

[quote name='hal']The difference is that we're discussing daily deals and not every title on sale because this is CAG and we're being cheap, knowing that the last day is the REAL day to shop for the rest of the games that are on sale.

Even better, could we start a "recommend a Steam sale non-daily deal" thread? It would be handy, for now, to have a separate place to discuss those deals before the final day so that we can all get in recommendations without having to hunt through dozens of pages talking about dead deals.[/QUOTE]

Good point. There should nevertheless be discussion for a number of other titles that are on sale and do not end up being daily deals so people know what to pick up. Wouldn't you agree?

Thus your suggestion for starting a non-daily deal thread is indeed a great one.

[quote name='topplehat']I think it's funny that after 4 or so years $10 is the lowest we've seen COD4.[/QUOTE]

By itself maybe, I got it a year ago in a pack for 30 dollars that included COD 1 and its Exp, Call of Duty 2, COD4 and COD World at War. Wasn't to bad.

Was thinking about Monday Night Combat, but I already have TF2 so I don't see the point.

Guild Wars, on the other hand is tempting. I only ever owned the first game.

The Monkey Island SE bundle was 4.99 last year.

This years sale seems to be a little underwhelming. Was hoping for more indie deals, and specifically more indie packs. So far I've only picked up BTTF and DA:O Ultimate.

The Monkey Island SE bundle was 4.99 last year.

This years sale seems to be a little underwhelming. Was hoping for more indie deals, and specifically more indie packs. So far I've only picked up BTTF and DA:O Ultimate.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']My friend got me into WoW for like a month and I liked it but didn't want to pay the monthly fees - is Guild Wars (trilogy) a good buy at 15 bucks?[/QUOTE]
Guild wars is decent. Not as good as WoW but for $15 for a lifetime sub and 3 games that be completed (as of each game has a storyline and a beginning and end), it's not too shabby. Actually to be fair guild wars is the price of a month of WoW and has a lot of content.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']GOG.com is a site that sells classic PC games that have zero DRM and it doesn't use a client. It's a legit service. They also offer extra goodies for most of the games there such as soundtracks, wallpapers, avatars, etc. I've been a customer since it launched and have since purchased more games from them than I can count.

Another great thing about GOG is the excellent community forums. There are almost always FAQs and threads there about optimizing games, particularly with mods (Baldurs Gate, the Fallout games, etc.), not to mention strategies and game tips.[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely look into the site and it's contents. Thanks for the tip :)

[quote name='gcorlett']Ha - yes. Good Old Games. They are in Europe; you shouldn't have any problems. They license older games (1990-2005, mostly) from publishers that aren't producing them anymore. They make a nice release package with tons of extras and sell for $5.99 or $9.99 (US). Not sure what that is in Euros but for comparison, $5.99 is a fast-food meal and $9.99 is a paperback book. :)

They are very reputable and they get a lot of love on this site. I've been using them since they were in beta, a few years ago. They've only gotten bigger since then, adding some (former) AAA titles like Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Keeper,Alpha Centauri, and others. The catalog is spotty but it's fun to browse and find old classics that you might have missed the first time around.

One of the major selling points is that all of their games are DRM-free, and there's no download client. Just buy, download, install, play. If you ever need to download again, just log in and download again. All of your catalog is always available to you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you as well for your input :)

I want Guild Wars for that price..........but I was hoping the Trilogy would be 10 as well. Is it a pretty good MMO, all-things considered?

Something casual-ish a la WoW would be pretty good.

[quote name='scarhawk']Woooo! Guild wars! Finally[/QUOTE]

But to buy them all (GW Trilogy, EotN), it costs 24.99. No thanks! What a shitty deal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back