Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='m3talst0rm']Tomorrow's sales?

According to header images:
Mafia II
Splinter Cell Conviction (Franchise)
Empire & Napoleon Total War GOTY
Mass Effect 2

[/QUOTE]

Oh man, just got Total War: Shogun 2 the other day, hoping for some good sales on Empire & Napolean GOTY!

I hope they put up the Napoleon TW tomorrow along with the Empire/Napoleon combo. I have Empire already and have been wanting to pick up Napoleon in the $7.50 or under range for awhile.

Might have to check out that Splinter Cell franchise sale, if it happens. Ubisoft prices their stuff low compared to other publishers. I only ever played the original and Conviction, so I'd love to mess with the middle entries.

[quote name='jester55']
(Why do I have more fun collecting STEAM games than actually playing any of my huge backlog? :wall:)[/QUOTE]
I know exactly what you mean bro lol

I picked up sanctum... I love steam. I also love the backloggery.... this would be the perfect thread to mention it I imagine......

[quote name='CioCio']Might have to check out that Splinter Cell franchise sale, if it happens. Ubisoft prices their stuff low compared to other publishers. I only ever played the original and Conviction, so I'd love to mess with the middle entries.[/QUOTE] Definitely check out Chaos Theory! The others are passable in my opinion.

[quote name='CapnO']Some of you are great at pitching games. Couldn't resist the influence so I picked up LC: GoL.[/QUOTE]

Same. Let's hope it's good!

[quote name='CioCio']Might have to check out that Splinter Cell franchise sale, if it happens. Ubisoft prices their stuff low compared to other publishers. I only ever played the original and Conviction, so I'd love to mess with the middle entries.[/QUOTE]
Same. only played the first and if the others are similar or better, a good deal could be possible.

[quote name='jester55'](Why do I have more fun collecting STEAM games than actually playing any of my huge backlog? :wall:)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Phrozenx']I know exactly what you mean bro lol[/QUOTE]
I sometimes feel that CAG is STEAMaholics Anonymous Support Group!
It's all good. This is my hobby and it really is cheap over time compared to other hobbies.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I hope they put up the Napoleon TW tomorrow along with the Empire/Napoleon combo. I have Empire already and have been wanting to pick up Napoleon in the $7.50 or under range for awhile.[/QUOTE]

This - I cant see why Steam cant do this! Why do I feel they wont?:lol:

[quote name='joeyshadows']I'm kind of hoping to see The Witcher, Guild Wars, and a repeat of Borderlands.[/QUOTE]

I think Guild Wars was already up.

[quote name='henryVIII']I hate RTS's, yet I bought Company of Heroes anyway. Goddamn it, Steam.[/QUOTE]

Well, if there's any hope for you in the genre, CoH just might bring you back to the light :).

[quote name='henryVIII']I hate RTS's, yet I bought Company of Heroes anyway. Goddamn it, Steam.[/QUOTE]

Good choice, COH is a great RTS and the territory capture system changes the strategy from the usual base building RTS's.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I think Guild Wars was already up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, expect repeats on Sunday, the last day of the sale.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Oh man, just got Total War: Shogun 2 the other day, hoping for some good sales on Empire & Napolean GOTY![/QUOTE]

I have a feeling they're going to have a hard time matching the 6 Euro that the bundle went for on Direct 2 Drive UK in February.

Still, hope they can put it out for a good price for others.

[quote name='reininop']Do the enemies fight back in Sanctum? If not, I'm not sure the point of it being FPS at all.[/QUOTE]

So you can shoot them from a first person perspective?

They don't attack you back, but if they touch you,you're screen shakes so much then you have to reorient yourself.

I've also played some tower defenses that weren't first person yet also tried to allow the player to attack themselves, but this is far better than any I have played before.

EDIT: Also The Arc on normal solo is just freaking insane. I got to level 14 on my second try. I am sure you can beat it, but no other mission up to that point gave me so much trouble (of course the Arc is the 3rd level and was originally the final one).

[quote name='reininop']Do the enemies fight back in Sanctum? If not, I'm not sure the point of it being FPS at all.[/QUOTE]

No they don't fight back. Think of it like this. Your character is a tower, but is able to move about where ever you want and switch what kind of tower you are. It adds a dynamic to the normal tower defense where you have to be proactive in moving around and change your weapons instead. It is actually quite a bit of fun and since you are part of the fight, you feel much more immersed in what is going on as well.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Bought the Quake pack, was never going to pay $20 for Arena and Team Arena but $7.50 for all of them is a great price.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I just wanted Quake and 2 but for a couple bucks more I figured why not just get the whole thing plus all extras and Quake 3. Not sure if I'll be playing Quake 3 much, though but I look at it as practically free! These sales are awesome.

Also I just realized there was a Counter-Strike 1 Anthology pack available - Probably been discussed a bunch but it's Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, and Ricochet for $3.74.

I already had CS:S but was interested in getting the other games in the series. Can't beat 5 games (although older) for a few bucks.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Also I just realized there was a Counter-Strike 1 Anthology pack available - Probably been discussed a bunch but it's Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, and Ricochet for $3.74.

I already had CS:S but was interested in getting the other games in the series. Can't beat 5 games (although older) for a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

You want to own the same game 3 times on the same system why?

That is my only gripe with the Valve pack. While it is nice to get 2 DoDs, 3 CS:Ss, and 2 TFs. I am only going to play one of each of those making 4 games essentially useless.

EDIT: They changed the girl on the left's tattoo if anyone was interested.

Is Company of Heroes worth picking up? I haven't played much RTS but at $2.50 and a 93 metacritic rating, I'm thinking of giving it a shot. How are the expansions? I doubt I"ll get any of them at this price, but it would be good to know for when they eventually go down in price.

Alright I bit and got:
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Sanctum
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3

all that for about $10 - not bad.

Was thinking about the quake collection, but meh - it's old and I got the main Quake1-2-3 on CDs already. My $7.49 will definitely get more gameplay value AND newer games with better graphics with these 3 awesome new beauties I've never played.

I wonder if I can point to this thread next time someone accuses me of hating all games...

I'll say it right now: If Splinter Cell is on sale tomorrow, get Chaos Theory. Conviction is also very good (Though the campaign is a little weak compared to the Deniable Ops missions) and the DLC is absolutely worth it.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Alright I bit and got:
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Sanctum
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3

all that for about $10 - not bad.

Was thinking about the quake collection, but meh - it's old and I got the main Quake1-2-3 on CDs already. My $7.49 will definitely get more gameplay value AND newer games with better graphics with these 3 awesome new beauties I've never played.[/QUOTE]

Those cfg files won't edit themselves! (I want the id super pack but yonder demos do not fare well)

I have a random question... i used steam yesterday and bought GTA4 and l4d 1/2, let it download overnight, continued today. now i went to buy sanctum, it told me to sign in, and has me enter my credit card info all over again? it seems kind of strange. but when i signed in, it told me it was a new computer (even though it's not, same computer i bought the other games on), and i got a new code thingy in my email. i've never had issues like this with steam, has anyone else seen this before?

So I bought the Quake pack and need some help from you PC guys. I have never really played a PC game before so I don't know what to do when these error messages pop up. I tried playing Quake 1 and I keep getting the error message 'SetDisplayMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPPORTED!) and "couldn't resize DIB window." I have zero idea what any of this means. Am I supposed to download something else to run these games on my PC since they're so old?

[quote name='mariol90']I have a random question... i used steam yesterday and bought GTA4 and l4d 1/2, let it download overnight, continued today. now i went to buy sanctum, it told me to sign in, and has me enter my credit card info all over again? it seems kind of strange. but when i signed in, it told me it was a new computer (even though it's not, same computer i bought the other games on), and i got a new code thingy in my email. i've never had issues like this with steam, has anyone else seen this before?[/QUOTE]

It asks for CC info if you didn't click Save CC info.
But yeah I've had the code thing happen to me before on a couple of occasions.

[quote name='Blackout']So I bought the Quake pack and need some help from you PC guys. I have never really played a PC game before so I don't know what to do when these error messages pop up. I tried playing Quake 1 and I keep getting the error message 'SetDisplayMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPPORTED!) and "couldn't resize DIB window." I have zero idea what any of this means. Am I supposed to download something else to run these games on my PC since they're so old?[/QUOTE]

Seems to happen for old games sometimes.
Here's some solutions I found. The game is GTA but it's the same kind of error so the fixes should translate over to Quake. These may work for you:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244839

EDIT: I also hear it's mainly an issue for 64-bit OS. So maybe that's why. But there's bound to be a fix somewhere in that thread that works for you.

[quote name='scarhawk']It asks for CC info if you didn't click Save CC info.
But yeah I've had the code thing happen to me before on a couple of occasions.[/QUOTE]

it's been saved for a while, i bought super meat boy back in december, and when i went to buy GTA, everything was saved. i changed my password and that's the only thing i can think of that could do it. oh well. the code thing is getting annoying though, every time i sign in, it makes me put the code in.

does it flip out massively if you have steam on 2 computers?

[quote name='Blackout']So I bought the Quake pack and need some help from you PC guys. I have never really played a PC game before so I don't know what to do when these error messages pop up. I tried playing Quake 1 and I keep getting the error message 'SetDisplayMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPPORTED!) and "couldn't resize DIB window." I have zero idea what any of this means. Am I supposed to download something else to run these games on my PC since they're so old?[/QUOTE]

I think Steam runs Quake via Dosbox. Screw that. You'll have better luck running it through a source port, since those are made for modern system. You can also get the game to look better that way.

I know that zDoom is very popular for Doom and eDuke is what people use for Duke 3D, but I don't know what's the go-to Quake source port. So I can't help you there, you'll have to do your own research.

finally tried audiosurf and tidalis, getting the tickets. not a huge fan of audiosurf so far but only tried it listening to an audiobook so far. tidalis seemed amusing.

sigh died at 99% completion on last level of jamestown on divine twice now damn that sliver of hp.shortly after that getting to boss again something crashed. something about microsoft visual C== runtime library.
hmm died again at first form this time and it said 99% completed due to the sliver left. interesting so people who die then don't learn about next part of it I suppose.

[quote name='Ardrid']While I can't argue with the Plug n Play nature of a 360 controller, setting up my PS3 controller was completely painless. Grabbed the Win7 64 driver from MotionJoy, ran the exe, checked my calibration and settings to make sure everything was functioning and I was good to go. Even has a one click 360 controller option for games that are finicky.

That said, it's insane how the control scheme makes a difference. Beat Hazard is great with mouse/KB, but it's nuts with my controller. Just felt right, which makes sense since it's a twin stick shooter :)[/QUOTE]

going to have to try getting my the ps3 controller working right with it then.
So far it's not recognizing X [] |> O r1 L1 recognizes everything else.

[quote name='mariol90']I have a random question... i used steam yesterday and bought GTA4 and l4d 1/2, let it download overnight, continued today. now i went to buy sanctum, it told me to sign in, and has me enter my credit card info all over again? it seems kind of strange. but when i signed in, it told me it was a new computer (even though it's not, same computer i bought the other games on), and i got a new code thingy in my email. i've never had issues like this with steam, has anyone else seen this before?[/QUOTE]

code thingy is I think steam guard related dunno about the rest.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Great RTS games from Relic

or this

Either way you can't loose. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Or you could just download that video and not play the game. You would live a happier life for it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I wonder if I can point to this thread next time someone accuses me of hating all games...

I'll say it right now: If Splinter Cell is on sale tomorrow, get Chaos Theory. Conviction is also very good (Though the campaign is a little weak compared to the Deniable Ops missions) and the DLC is absolutely worth it.[/QUOTE]

I only ever played the very first one on the Xbox, and only then for a very, very short while. Are Chaos Theory and Conviction stealth heavy? I have to admit that stealth games are among my least favorite games :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back