Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
ryog: A GOTY of ME2 seems very unlikely at this point, but we can't rule it out.

gunm: We don't know for certain, but they usually do a re-run of the biggest games' sales on the final day, which would be Sunday. No promises though; if you see something you like, buy now.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Anyone heard if there will be a Mass Effect 2 ultimate edition with all of the DLC included, kind of like Dragon Age Origins Ultimate?[/QUOTE]

Bioware has said that there will not be.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Anyone heard if there will be a Mass Effect 2 ultimate edition with all of the DLC included, kind of like Dragon Age Origins Ultimate?[/QUOTE]

It's their cash cow. EA gonna milk it. F the fans ! Compare the DLC on #1 vs #2 to see how EA as a parent company will change things lol

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Anyone heard if there will be a Mass Effect 2 ultimate edition with all of the DLC included, kind of like Dragon Age Origins Ultimate?[/QUOTE]Sure, if you pick up the PS3 version and buy The Arrival on PSN.

The PS3 version was the closest to a GOTY/UE version of ME2.

Amnesia is one of the best horror games in years. For an indie game made by a handful of guys, they've managed to create one of the richest atmospheres in gaming that puts most high budget games to shame. There is almost no other game out there that create such a feeling of isolation and tension. If you get scared with games you will absolutely shit your pants. MUST play for horror fans or even horror movie fans.

Well, there almost is. The PS3 version has every piece of DLC minus one, IIRC.

Any recommendations for Fallout 3 mods that don't change the core gameplay much or a thread here that has them? Fan bug patches, texture mods, etc.

[quote name='Vegan']Does anyone have an opinion on Winter's Voice or whatever? It's one of today's raffle achievements. I like adventure games, so I'm not opposed to story-heavy games, but some people have said that it's REALLY slow. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I keep going back and forth. I figure it will either be cheaper in the future or there will be some kind of pack with it. I played the demo and it's kinda cool, but I hear it's fairly story heavy and just reading a ton of text is usually boring to me.

Meh, still waiting for something. Kinda want a Splinter Cell, ME2, or FO3. Already have the DLC for ME2 and FO3 on my Xbox.

If my opinion on Amnesia is worth anything...

Last night I downloaded and played the demo. This game is interesting but very different from any game I've played. I can't say I'm compelled to buy it after trying to get through the demo.

I kept running out of lamp fuel and tinder to light candles (why can't I light a candle with my lighted lamp?). Your character quickly goes insane if you are in darkness for too long. This makes it harder to solve the puzzles and move around. I made a wrong turn and ran out of fuel making it almost impossible to get back to where I needed to be.

The two monsters I encountered were scary but I was more scared by the environment. One was a zombie thing walking away from me in the dark. The other was this invisible thing splashing in the water that would only attack if I was touching the water.

I needed to unlock a gate but the switch was all the way on the other end of the flooded hallway. It was really difficult to get there without getting killed by this invisible thing. After the 3rd try I gave up because it was so hard to maneuver with the blurred vision and slow reflexes of insanity after being in the dark for so long.

Maybe I just wasn't playing smart enough. You can block doors and stuff. Also I read somewhere that the demo was not as scary as the full game. If anyone wants to tell me what I'm missing here, please do. I want to give this game the proper chance.

One last thing. If you are prone to motion sickness from FPS games this may cause it. Try the demo first!

[quote name='facls']I played all three as well. I think Anniversary's levels are more fun. Having played the original one, maybe nostalgia factors in this. Also, I feel that the new style of gameplay used for the first time in Legend was better explored in Anniversary. Underworld was good, but underwhelming. All three are good games though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CGlade']It's their cash cow. EA gonna milk it. F the fans ! Compare the DLC on #1 vs #2 to see how EA as a parent company will change things lol[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure EA as a parent company is the only reason that the dlc for Mass Effect 1 and 2 are so different.

Mass Effect 1 was the first BioWare game of this generation and I think, like a lot of developers, they didn't understand or didn't realize what dlc could be. The DLC for ME1 is pretty lame really.

It wasn't until DA:O that BioWare started to flex its dlc might. The two games that followed ME2 and DA2 seem to be getting a similar treatment
as DA:O.

That said - BioWare used to put out a lot of extras for free...their support of Never Winter Nights for example. With EA in charge that just isn't gonna happen.

Soooooooo

How do folks feel about the Total War pack? Is it fairly approachable? Like just play for a few hours here or there, or is it like Europa Universalis?

I thought Amnesia was scary but what frustrated me most was how you can't fight back. The room you're talking about, I think you're supposed to distract the monster. I tried this unsuccessfully but eventually I think the game bugged out and the monster left me alone to open the gate.

[quote name='paulcalypse']If my opinion on Amnesia is worth anything...[/QUOTE]That sounds incredibly annoying more than scary. I'm also on the fence trying to decide if it's worth $5, because my initial impression was /yawn.

[quote name='oscargrouch']Soooooooo

How do folks feel about the Total War pack? Is it fairly approachable? Like just play for a few hours here or there, or is it like Europa Universalis?[/QUOTE]

From what I hear about Empire and Napoleon and how buggy they are, I'd advise you to check out the complete packs for Rome or Medieval II. Awesome strategy games in my book. Not quite on the learning curve level of EUIII, but still plenty fun. Far less buggy and still cheaper than the Emp/Napoleon pack.

[quote name='Jodou']That sounds incredibly annoying more than scary. I'm also on the fence trying to decide if it's worth $5, because my initial impression was /yawn.[/QUOTE]

If you don't find the demo appealing, then I'd give it a pass. Thats pretty much the entire game, except it gets progressively darker in new surroundings + puzzles get increasingly difficult. Not a whole lot of new elements are added beyond that.

The game also gets less scary as you progress, once you get an understanding of the mechanics of the monsters, event routines are very predictable. The atmosphere of the game in general is pretty great though.

On a similar note, this is my favorite Amnesia video! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibZAOBitTM

[quote name='Vegan']Does anyone have an opinion on Winter's Voice or whatever? It's one of today's raffle achievements. I like adventure games, so I'm not opposed to story-heavy games, but some people have said that it's REALLY slow. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I've played the first Winter Voices game.

There's TONS of text, and most of the game's text is over-the-top symbolic. You're not "fighting" so much as you are defending. It's hard to make sense of the storyline, other than that the main character's father has died. She's carrying a metric ton of baggage, and your job is to help her sort through it all.

It's slow, and battles are pretty slow as well. Unless you really, really like turn-based RPGs, I would stay away from this one. Me, I'm intrigued by the game, although it has a lot of flaws. It's just so unique, and the writing style is so heavy. I'll be buying one or two more episodes at the end of the sale, if there's no daily deal.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Weird. I was about to get the Deluxe version of Mafia II because I thought the Amazon version I got just after Christmas was only the vanilla version (it registered on Steam, but I didn't download or play it yet, just the demo). Clicking on the game's page in Steam shows that it's considered the Deluxe... huh!

Here's the game page on Amazon, which has no Deluxe indicator:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-4046...4ISM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310149328&sr=8-2

Bonus for me today, I guess! (*Does Ed Grimley dance*)[/QUOTE]

You are gonna have to right click the game and go to the dlc tab to see if you have the deluxe edition

[quote name='Rehykja']From what I hear about Empire and Napoleon and how buggy they are, I'd advise you to check out the complete packs for Rome or Medieval II. Awesome strategy games in my book. Not quite on the learning curve level of EUIII, but still plenty fun. Far less buggy and still cheaper than the Emp/Napoleon pack.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Rome is one of my favorites in the series. There is a nice balance of depth, accessibility, and strategy.

In fact Rome is probably my second favorite of the series. I REALLY like Shogun 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hulk409']Does Conviction still have the "always on" DRM?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It only checks it in the beginning and that's it. No more "always on" DRM. While still pointless, it's a lot better than what it used to be and the game is a lot of fun. It's no Chaos Theory, but still good. Worth it for the current price....the same price I paid not too long ago during another sale.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I got Fallout 3: GOTY. I'm officially done with this sale. See you guys in December![/QUOTE]

Lies! You know you'll be back!

We all come back...we all float down here!

Thanks for the ME2 info. I'm soooo disappointed in Bioware and EA. I heard some of the ME2 DLC is pretty good, but they're so expensive. I hate not getting complete versions of games, but overpriced DLC really pisses me off. :bomb:

I might have to wait for the PS3 version to go on sale.

[quote name='Genocidal']Any recommendations for Fallout 3 mods that don't change the core gameplay much or a thread here that has them? Fan bug patches, texture mods, etc.[/QUOTE]You can Google up lists of top recommended mods, etc. Not a lot of fan-made bug patches, but plenty of hi-rez texture packs and skin/model replacers (read: boobies!) which pretty things up if you've got a butch rig.

The two mods that made me grateful I wasn't playing on console were the one that sped up the walking speed somewhat so you didn't feel like you were trudging so slowly and one that eliminates the carrying weight restrictions. Being deep in some dungeon and having to pick and choose what armor or weapons you could loot or keep was a PITMFA in Oblivion and continued to be pesky in Fallout, especially because fast-traveling back to your home can't happen when you really needed it - when you're dungeon crawling.

Now this breaks the economy of the game somewhat because you can just strip everything you find and then carry it to a dealer and trade it for whatever you need. Stock up on Rad-Away and stim-packs and pay for it with those 20 extra Chinese machine guns you've picked up along the way. I like that I can spend more time scouring the landscape than having to play Inventory Tetris.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Nope. It only checks it in the beginning and that's it. No more "always on" DRM. While still pointless, it's a lot better than what it used to be and the game is a lot of fun. It's no Chaos Theory, but still good. Worth it for the current price....the same price I paid not too long ago during another sale. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Might have to pick it up.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Thanks for the ME2 info. I'm soooo disappointed in Bioware and EA. I heard some of the ME2 DLC is pretty good, but they're so expensive. I hate not getting complete versions of games, but overpriced DLC really pisses me off. :bomb:

I might have to wait for the PS3 version to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I hear ya. I usually wait till the dlc goes on sale before I pick any of it up. Sure it means I wait awhile, but for what you get at full price the dlc doesn't seem worth it. Although I really do enjoy BioWare dlc.

[quote name='Genocidal']Any recommendations for Fallout 3 mods that don't change the core gameplay much or a thread here that has them? Fan bug patches, texture mods, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'll quote myself from a previous post when someone asked about FO3's copy on D2D (also to offer some FO3 mod recommendations).

[quote name='immanewb']
FO3 without mods is like a life without meaning.
icon_neutral.gif

Most mods requires FOSE (which disables Game for Windows), even a basic save game manager mod (which makes the default saving systems look archaic) needs FOSE.

Here are some recommended mods:
CASM (Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager): manages when the game will save (level up, found new location, under specific circumstances, etc.) and allows you to specify up to (if I remember correctly) 50 different save files in case something goes wrong later down the road. Extremely handy.

MTUI: modifies the GUI to increase efficiency (check out the screenshots there to see what I mean).

Marts Mutant Mod (aka MMM): adds a whole buncha new monsters and stuff into the game. Even new bosses, if I remember correctly!

FOOK2: adds weapons, among other goodies. I can't remember exactly why this mod was so popular.. but more = better, right?!
icon_lol.gif

And last, but not least, the ever-so-important mod manager: organizes all of your mods, sorts your load order (very important, as incorrect game load may affect your game [in a bad way]), and totally compatible with Steam's Fallout 3! A must have for all your modding needs!
icon_biggrin.gif

Lastly, an important note, I would suggest that you avoid the "Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch" as it has been known to cause a lot of instabilities with other mods [or even the core game]. And from reading around, a few people have mentioned that some of the stuff fixed in the unofficial patch have been fixed officially.[/QUOTE]

In your case, Genocidal, I'd recommend the MTUI and the CASM mods. There are TONS more that can be found at Fallout 3 Nexus, so do browse around. :)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Lies! You know you'll be back!

We all come back...we all float down here![/QUOTE]

Taking that Pennywise avatar a little too seriously, eh?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Alright, time to stop spending money, I have Oblivion, Morrowind, Guild Wars, and some other stuff I probably won't even get around to playing until the holiday sale. Unless it's a game I've wanted for a while and think it won't be cheaper by the time I get around to actually playing it, I think I'm good until the next steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Where did you pick up morrowind? Im on the lookout for it.

[quote name='pROvIs']Pretty blah day for me. Only thing I am even considering is Worms.

Amnesia and Empire deals are good and recommended.

Fallout 3 is a great deal if you haven't played it. Beware of the GFW requirement though....[/QUOTE]

What are the GFW requirements? like the system requirements? Can this Fallout not be modded?

[quote name='iso135']Big backlog, but liked the Mafia II demo, to buy or not to buy?[/QUOTE]

It's an amazing game. I would recommend it, amazing story.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']Thanks for the ME2 info. I'm soooo disappointed in Bioware and EA. I heard some of the ME2 DLC is pretty good, but they're so expensive. I hate not getting complete versions of games, but overpriced DLC really pisses me off. :bomb:

I might have to wait for the PS3 version to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there on waiting for a Bioware DLC sale. The problem is that we haven't seen a single one since ME2's launch on PC (that i'm aware of anyway), so I'm honestly not sure how likely a DLC sale is at this point time. :C

Since there's a bit of talk about ME2 DLC, here's my $0.02 on them:
Kasumi's Stolen Memory -
Good stuff. First and foremost, you get a new party member! :D She's a fun character both personality wise, and how she lends herself to combat. The loyalty mission is very fun, and an interesting change of pace from most other missions. She's like Zaeed in that you don't have to do any missions to actually recruit her. Be forewarned however that like Zaeed, she has no true dialogue trees. Just the same lines that she'll spout off in sequence when you speak to her. =(

Overlord -
This one was really interesting. You're getting straight up combat missions, with no additional characters. There's also a fair bit of driving the Firewalker tank around. It's fairly fun, acts as a decent sub-plot, and honestly does end with probably the most disturbing thing i've seen in the series thus far. Not sure it's worth the $7, since you do the mission and that's it. (Unlike Kasumi and Lair's lasting presence in your save) Regardless, a fun distraction for a couple hours.

Lair of the Shadow Broker -
This is the big one you see given the most praise. (Also worth noting it costs more than the rest. $10 vs $7) Honestly, this one feels like a requirement for anyone who is a fan of Liara. This DLC really helps to flesh out why she's changed personality wise, and ties up a fair number of loose ends if you've read any of the comics. It's got a lot of great action scenes, and augments your save with investment opportunities as well as *** the ability to retrain your party member's powers *** once you beat the DLC. I've seen the opinion many times that this DLC honestly feels like it belongs right in the game with how well done it was. I'm inclined to agree.

Oh, and i'm told that after completing the DLC you have the chance to
rekindle your romance with Liara.

The Arrival -
A bridge from ME2 to ME3. No, really. That's it. It's a Shepard only mission that shows you the events leading up to what I assume is the beginning of the third game. There's a sneaking segment, some shootouts, and that's really it. A lot of people expected this to end ME2 on a big bang, but it ends up far more a whimper.

So yeah. I know we're all CAGs here and its typically against our nature to even consider paying $7 for a single piece of DLC. That said though, figured I would pipe in with my thoughts towards the four in case anyone was considering getting one or two of them. I'd highly recommend Kasumi and Lair. Again, partially for their ability to augment your game with lasting characters or environments rather than one-shot missions. Also because they're simply fun experiences.

Oh, and also know that all 4x DLC items can be done at pretty much any time in the story. (Well, except for missions that keep you from going anywhere else till their completion) You don't have to beat the game first.

tl;dr: If you're going to buy any DLC at all, at least get Lair and Kasumi. The other two are enjoyable, but don't offer nearly as much to the experience of Mass Effect 2.

Bit on FO3 GOTY because I love that game and don't think it's going any lower for a while. Gonna hold off on ME2 though since I haven't played the first one, and I can see this game going down to $5 with a discount on DLC like during the winter sale or something.

I think I am getting the first Mafia today. I played through the 2nd one and it was easily one of my favorite games of last year. I look forward to trying out the original...

[quote name='jj5206']I think I am getting the first Mafia today. I played through the 2nd one and it was easily one of my favorite games of last year. I look forward to trying out the original...[/QUOTE]

I played the first Mafia just before the sequel was released. I really, really enjoyed it. Great and well told story, it's long, the missions have a lot of diversity and the shooting parts were enjoyable. It's also a difficult game.

The graphics are dated, of course, and the driving parts are very long, though after a while I felt they added to the overall atmosphere of the game. I enjoyed it more than its sequel actually.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Bit on FO3 GOTY because I love that game and don't think it's going any lower for a while. Gonna hold off on ME2 though since I haven't played the first one, and I can see this game going down to $5 with a discount on DLC like during the winter sale or something.[/QUOTE]

Considering that the DLC is sold through Bioware's site and not Steam, I don't see there being much of a discount on the DLC anytime soon. =P

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Considering that the DLC is sold through Bioware's site and not Steam, I don't see there being much of a discount on the DLC anytime soon. =P[/QUOTE]
It happens. I believe they had a sale last fall on all Bioware DLC but can't corroborate that, it's just a faint memory in my head...

[quote name='cusoman']It happens. I believe they had a sale last fall on all Bioware DLC but can't corroborate that, it's just a faint memory in my head...[/QUOTE]
I've seen such sales quite a few times on XBLM, but never heard of em happening on the PC end. Don't mind me though. I'd -absolutely love- to be proven wrong on the whole "no PC DLC sales" thing. :C

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']wonder if I should give the last remnant an other shot. Bought used on 360 and sold it after about an hour of play.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. $10 seems steep to me tho given how old the game is & how poorly it was received. $5 and I would bite to try it out again.

Nothing for me today I think :)

I already own FO3GOTY on X360 and I still need to finish it... I reckon if I finally do I don't have to play through it again seeing as I've got limited gaming time and a reasonably large backlog. Lest of all I can probably wait for the next sale.

Mafia 2 and Total War both look very appealing but the same thing applies: next sale maybe. First gotta finish the other games I own :p

So... anyone feel like starting a new thread for talking about non-daily deals?

You know, so we're all ready for that last day? There's no way we'll be able to find all the recommendations in this thread.

[quote name='hal']So... anyone feel like starting a new thread for talking about non-daily deals?

You know, so we're all ready for that last day? There's no way we'll be able to find all the recommendations in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='hal']So... anyone feel like starting a new thread for talking about non-daily deals?

You know, so we're all ready for that last day? There's no way we'll be able to find all the recommendations in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I have a habit of just checking out games other CAGs mention. Another CAGs feedback is usually better than reviews scores for me.

Atm, my buy list for the last day is:

Painkiller Redemption, Gary's Mod, Terraria, and Spectromancer, With a maybe for Fate of the World and Puzzle Agent 1/2.

[quote name='gunstar808']I have a habit of just checking out games other CAGs mention. Another CAGs feedback is usually better than reviews scores for me.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hal'] There's no way we'll be able to find all the recommendations in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Self explanatory ;)

I am looking for the wolfenstein games on the last day, maybe the hexen ones too. Would love in Metro, or Bulletstorm went daily deal tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back