Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Anyone recommends Splinter Cell Conviction DLC if I already beat the main game on 360?[/QUOTE]
I highly recommend the Conviction DLC. It's just Deniable Ops maps with no story but they are VERY good maps, even in solo. Better in co-op but still great fun in Solo.

Damn now I'm gonna have to reinstall.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Bit on FO3 GOTY because I love that game and don't think it's going any lower for a while. Gonna hold off on ME2 though since I haven't played the first one, and I can see this game going down to $5 with a discount on DLC like during the winter sale or something.[/QUOTE]

There's a pretty good chance that Fallout 3 GOTY will go to 75% for the Quakecon Sale in about a month.

[quote name='Phasher99']Looks like it's gonna be Prince of Persia franchise, X Superbox (&franchise), Hitman Franchise and Dead Space (Franchise) tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I hope not...

Just restating the recommendation for Conviction+DLC and Chaos Theory

[quote name='Phasher99']Looks like it's gonna be Prince of Persia franchise, X Superbox (&franchise), Hitman Franchise and Dead Space (Franchise) tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

That's a wallet busting mix. Pretty much all the PoPs are great, including the 2009 reboot and Forgotten Swords. Hitman Blood Money is the only Hitman worth the effort but it is up there with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory as one of the best games ever made. And Dead Space is just quality.

[quote name='paulcalypse']If my opinion on Amnesia is worth anything...

Last night I downloaded and played the demo. This game is interesting but very different from any game I've played. I can't say I'm compelled to buy it after trying to get through the demo.

I kept running out of lamp fuel and tinder to light candles (why can't I light a candle with my lighted lamp?). Your character quickly goes insane if you are in darkness for too long. This makes it harder to solve the puzzles and move around. I made a wrong turn and ran out of fuel making it almost impossible to get back to where I needed to be.

The two monsters I encountered were scary but I was more scared by the environment. One was a zombie thing walking away from me in the dark. The other was this invisible thing splashing in the water that would only attack if I was touching the water.

I needed to unlock a gate but the switch was all the way on the other end of the flooded hallway. It was really difficult to get there without getting killed by this invisible thing. After the 3rd try I gave up because it was so hard to maneuver with the blurred vision and slow reflexes of insanity after being in the dark for so long.

Maybe I just wasn't playing smart enough. You can block doors and stuff. Also I read somewhere that the demo was not as scary as the full game. If anyone wants to tell me what I'm missing here, please do. I want to give this game the proper chance.

One last thing. If you are prone to motion sickness from FPS games this may cause it. Try the demo first![/QUOTE]

I didn't get as far as you did, but I do share similar criticisms against the game. I'm kind of glad to know that I'm not the only one who felt that the limited resources were more of a hindrance in the fun factor since it gave me the impression that the game is constantly being played as such:
1. Save Game
2. Attempt to proceed
3. Run out of lantern fuel/tinder
4. Reload Saved Game
5. Get a little further than last time
6. Save Game when you think you have enough tinder/lantern fuel for the next section.
7. Repeat above steps all over again.

That type of game play would make the game too tedious and reduce the scare factor for me. Guess it just wasn't my cup of tea either.

Tried the demo of The Last Remnant, but I wasn't impressed. It's a very pretty game, but I found the battles a bit tedious and chaotic. Not good in an RPG where you'll likely have many, many similar battles.

Hm, I might could go for a Prince of Persia game.

But personally, I'm more looking forward to finding out the indie games on sale.

Already have all the Total Wars, Amnesia, Splinter Cell pack so I got The Last Remnant since I'm a Squeenix fanboy ;)

[quote name='Woot1337']It's an amazing game. I would recommend it, amazing story.[/QUOTE]

I might get it, and bump it up the backlog...I played the demo three or four times on xbox..

Just tried the demo of The Longest Journey. I must say I'm glad I tried the demo before purchase. The game is too dated for me, and much of the dialogue seems a waste of time. I'll stick with modern point-and-click games.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just tried the demo of The Longest Journey. I must say I'm glad I tried the demo before purchase. The game is too dated for me, and much of the dialogue seems a waste of time. I'll stick with modern point-and-click games.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much the demo shows... but if I remember correctly, the game starts off kinda slow, but gets a lot better just a few hours into it.

I loved this game when it was released. I haven't played it since, but I was eagerly awaiting a sale on it and couldn't help but toss it in my cart for the 10 quarters.

I am really looking forward to another playthru...

Just thought I would point out that it has a 91 on metacritic... You are one of the few who didn't like this game.

there doesn't appear to be a link to a Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition group buy thread, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

The Last Remnant is my least favorite edition in a very lacking genre this gen. Almost unplayable, i think they were shooting for something grand in the battle system, but i never saw it. Maybe after 40+ hours played it really opens up, but nothing else about this game was redeeming enough for me to put the time in.

[quote name='Stretch']The Last Remnant is my least favorite edition in a very lacking genre this gen. Almost unplayable, i think they were shooting for something grand in the battle system, but i never saw it. Maybe after 40+ hours played it really opens up, but nothing else about this game was redeeming enough for me to put the time in.[/QUOTE]

I only lasted about 5 minutes in the demo before uninstalling.

Now that I have a hard and fast limit on what I can spend through the end of the sale, this is getting interesting. There's several great games I want today, there's going to be more tomorrow I want judging by what we know already (Hitman series, X3:TC, DS2), and then there's the last day's non-daily mop-up.

Why Steam, why?

I was thinking about getting the Empire Total War pack even though I already have Empire. I think I'm going to wait until the last day and pick up Shogun 2 instead. It seems more my style. I know it was already a daily (I wasn't interested until after), but a 3 dollar difference won't dissuade me from getting it if it isn't part of the final day.

[quote name='pROvIs']Fallout 3 is a great deal if you haven't played it. Beware of the GFW requirement though.[/QUOTE]
Actually, Fallout 3 is probably the least problematic GFWL game as it is not required in any way to play the game, it is completely optional. If you never push the GFWL button in the main menu it will never affect your game in any way whatsoever.

I simply never touched it and therefore (almost) never knew it was there. There is however a GFWL removal tool if you're having problems with it. This tool unfortunately only works on Fallout 3, I'm guessing because of the optional nature of the GFWL implementation in the game, as I would love to have some sort of tool to remove this malware from any games that are infested with it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Tried the demo of The Last Remnant, but I wasn't impressed. It's a very pretty game, but I found the battles a bit tedious and chaotic. Not good in an RPG where you'll likely have many, many similar battles.[/QUOTE]

Yep, definitely agree with the take. I've played the X360 version of Last Remnant (and I assume the PC version is about the same), and I would NOT recommend the game. I'm a big fan of RPGs, but Last Remnant's loading was atrocious and the battle system makes all the battles draaaaag.

Anyone know if the two Mafia II dlc packs (Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventures, not the skins & car packs) are worth it? All I can find is people complaining about how soon they came out.

I'm also picking up Worms and Chaos Theory.

[quote name='lassiterb']Anyone know if the two Mafia II dlc packs (Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventures, not the skins & car packs) are worth it? All I can find is people complaining about how soon they came out.

I'm also picking up Worms and Chaos Theory.[/QUOTE]

From what I hear they are definitely not worth it, but that is just heresay.

[quote name='dallascowboys']There's a pretty good chance that Fallout 3 GOTY will go to 75% for the Quakecon Sale in about a month.[/QUOTE]

Oh great, I just bought it today, haha.

^Yeah, thanks for telling me AFTER I bought it, lol. fuck me.

I guess that means I have to play through most of the DLC this month so my purchase feels justified.

[quote name='justme99z']Seriously... tomorrow all I want is Titan Quest... that is the last thing on my wishlist that hasnt been a daily[/QUOTE]

I bought that during one of the last sales for like $7 or $10 and I'm just now playing it and it's so much fun! I hope it goes on sale for ya! :p

After trying to start the download for the games I just bought for the last 15 minutes and getting the "try again later" message, a scary thought popped into my mind: what if Steam were to pull a PSN? That would suck not being able to play my library for ~ a month.

I can't decide if I want Fallout 3: GoTY! I've been watching youtube videos of all the mods for the past half hour. I just can't decide if the mods change it up enough to warrant another playthrough. Decisions suck.

The criticisms of amnesia levied by those who played the demo are unfounded, if you ask me. I am just past where the demo evidently ends, and I have half of my lantern reservoir full of kerosene and 8 matches (this is a very generous portion of resources, for those who haven't played this game). I had no trouble keeping them, and have yet to experience e full delirium. The first player had it right: he was not playing smartly. The second player had it wrong: I haven't even actually died, and as such haven't had to reload. I do save often because the game is scary as fuck and I don't know if ill be able to keep playing, but take my wors for it: it really isn't that hard or frustrating. I recommend it.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']^Yeah, thanks for telling me AFTER I bought it, lol. fuck me.

I guess that means I have to play through most of the DLC this month so my purchase feels justified.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it's 2.50 and he's just speculating about the drop.

Amnesia does get better as the game progresses imo. Really a no brainer if you want a scary game. There's also free DLC for it called Justine which was interesting. I haven't tried any yet, but I've heard there's some good fan-created levels too.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Seriously, it's 2.50 and he's just speculating about the drop.[/QUOTE]

1) I agree with you
2) This is cheap ass gamer.com This should be expected
3) Rule of thumb: If you have a backlog, that means you are now playing one game and have at least TWO games not being played. Finishing all three to completion should placate your restlessness to purchase. By then, Im sure the game will be cheaper! woot!

Still itching?
4) once it is in your backlog, it will never LEAVE your backlog, so just buy it. who cares if it is cheaper later. You are in the safe zone.

a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. Especially when that one is GOTY.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Seriously, it's 2.50 and he's just speculating about the drop.[/QUOTE]

Reading my comment now makes me laugh, haha. Being a CAG (and poor college student) gets to you sometimes. Also, getting all these $0.99 iOS games has spoiled me. :p Also, thanks for the advice, fyrtoes, haha.

I was about to buy Mass Effect, but turns out I already did in early May (and it was only $5 then). I think I buy things on Steam more than I play them.

I have a smallish backlog thanks to Steam :(
I'm at an 8 game back log atm. Not to include some PSN games I've never got around to (and probably never will lol)

[quote name='gbpackers94']After failing the opening sequence of Mafia five times, I regret my purchase.[/QUOTE]

It can be effing brutal. And even with the health cheat, it can only be used once per mission! And the handling and speed of the early cars? Fuhgeddaboudit.

Mafia II is much more forgiving in all respects, and it's so shiny!

[quote name='scarhawk']I have a smallish backlog thanks to Steam :(
I'm at an 8 game back log atm. Not to include some PSN games I've never got around to (and probably never will lol)[/QUOTE]

I have 130 games on Steam alone, and I know for a fact without even needing to verify with others here that that is considered light. Welcome to CAG dude.

lol ^this^ my thoughts exactly.

Just don't buy a game that you may just have bought because it was cheap and it evens out. I don't buy games anymore just because they're cheap; they have to be cheap AND I have every intention of playing them lol. That way, if I see a game in the future for a few dollars less than I paid for it, I know I haven't wasted a lot of money on other games in-between that I will more than likely never play. It's all about balance for me. :)

I don't know about you all, but I use to be really bad about buying games just because they were cheap. How else would I have ended up with Spongebob Squarepants and a bunch of Harry Potter games for the Gamecube? :p

[quote name='Stry-ker']so clicking on one of the links from last night reveals art for hitman franchise sale.[/QUOTE]
awww%20yeah.jpg

Became interested in this franchise recently (saw someones lets play on youtube and it looked really fun) But have never played any of them.

So looks like

X-com Franchise
Prince of Persia Franchise
Hitman Franchise
Dead Space 2 Franchise

so far for tomorrow, utlizing the links from last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back