Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to decide between a couple of cheap Indie games, can anyone that's played these give me their opinion? Looking to only grab a couple of the best of the bunch. So far I think I'm leaning towards VVVVVV, Rush, Flight Control, and Eversion.

I-Fluid
Zen Bound 2
Rush
Flight Control HD
Eets
Eversion
VVVVVV
The Maw
Saira
And Yet It Moves

[quote name='VexxedCS']Steam trying to download the whole game I just downloaded from Amazon?[/QUOTE]

This.

You needed only to take the serial key and put it into Steam.

My haul:

Alien Breed 2: $0.00
Magicka DLC- The Lonely Cruise: $0.00
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall: $6.24
---Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
---The Longest Journey
Magicka: $3.39
Terraria: $2.49
Audiosurf: $1.49
Killing Floor DLC- Steampunk Character Pack: $0.00
Trine: $1.99
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition: $5.00
Star Wars: KOTOR: $2.49
The Heroes Pack: $4.99
---Heroes of Might and Magic V
---Heroes of Might and Magic V: Hammers of Fate
---Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
---Dark Messiah Might and Magic
Borderlands DLC- Dr. Ned: $2.49

Total games: 13
Total DLC: 3
Total price: $30.57
Average price per item: 1.92

Not too shabby, overall.

[quote name='jimbodan']Trying to decide between a couple of cheap Indie games, can anyone that's played these give me their opinion? Looking to only grab a couple of the best of the bunch. So far I think I'm leaning towards VVVVVV, Rush, Flight Control, and Eversion.

I-Fluid
Zen Bound 2
Rush
Flight Control HD
Eets
Eversion
VVVVVV
The Maw
Saira
And Yet It Moves[/QUOTE]

The ones I've played...

I-Fluid: Interesting concept but overall I found the game not very enjoyable to play. Slow and awkward controls. The game just wasn't for me.

Zen Bound 2: I just purchased this a yesterday and enjoying it immensely. The controls can be kind of weird at first but you get use to them. Relaxing to play and challenging when attempting 100% coverage.

Flight Control HD: Easy to pick up and play. A great go to game when you don't have a lot of time and just want something quick to play or chill out with.

Eets: Fun 2D placement puzzle game. I didn't get too far in the game but I enjoyed my time with it.

[quote name='Indignate']This.

You needed only to take the serial key and put it into Steam.[/QUOTE]

I realize that, but with Steam's servers being crap today I figured I'd DL it from Amazon. The Amazon DL was over 7gb, then when you install it forces you to activate on Steam, yet Steam immediately starts downloading something that's just under 5gb...

So if the install is linked to Steam, why wouldn't Steam recognize that the game is already installed? Why is the Steam file 2gb smaller?

Just to be clear on what I'm dealing with here: If someone without Steam were to buy the game from Amazon as a DD, they would spend time and bandwidth downloading 7gb worth of game only to be forced to boot up Steam and download it again to be able to play it? That seems either completely borked, or I'm downloading a ridiculously sized update. Can anyone who only got the game through Steam verify the file size?

[quote name='VexxedCS']I realize that, but with Steam's servers being crap today I figured I'd DL it from Amazon. The Amazon DL was over 7gb, then when you install it forces you to activate on Steam, yet Steam immediately starts downloading something that's just under 5gb...

So if the install is linked to Steam, why wouldn't Steam recognize that the game is already installed? Why is the Steam file 2gb smaller?[/QUOTE]

Did the game install into the Steam folder?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Guys, is Dawn of War 2: Retribution worth it? I still have Starcraft 2 I haven't played.[/QUOTE]

Stop lurking on these forums and go play Starcraft 2, right now!

[quote name='Magicman103']Fellow CAG's i need you to help me make a decision... I have 3 tickets left, should i go for alien breed 2 or the portal 2 goo gear snorkels?[/QUOTE]

Alien Breed 2...that other thing just sounds ridiculous.

Heads up Amazon just charged me 18 bucks for DOW 2: Retribution. the 7.50 price could have been a mistake. I'm contesting the price with amazon support right now.

From info gathered on the Steam forums, these are the truly limited time prizes until further notice:
*Dwarfs!? mission
Monday Night Combat gear
Dawn of War 2 gear
Magicka map
Serious Sam characters
Fate of the World mission
Beat Hazard gear
X3 mission
Team Fortress 2 gear
Portal 2 gear
Winter Voices mission

The Dwarfs!? mission is an exception to this list, but only for a limited time: you need to get the 9 carnival achievements before July 22nd to unlock the mission without tickets.

More info here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971098

[quote name='KingDox']Heads up Amazon just charged me 18 bucks for DOW 2: Retribution. the 7.50 price could have been a mistake. I'm contesting the price with amazon support right now.[/QUOTE]

Price of Dawn of War 2 Retribution went to 17.99 now.
I'm thinking it went back to that price after midnight?

[quote name='DPsycho']Odd. I never hit a point where I had to make any guesses. There were times I had to stare at the grid for 20 minutes before spotting the cell where I could rule out all but one choice, but never a point where guessing was mandatory. I thought the puzzles were very well designed in that regard.[/QUOTE]

perhaps not but 9x9 < > puzzles certainly feel that way sometimes but yeah a good game. now to take a last look at a few games.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']The ones I've played...

I-Fluid: Interesting concept but overall I found the game not very enjoyable to play. Slow and awkward controls. The game just wasn't for me.

Zen Bound 2: I just purchased this a yesterday and enjoying it immensely. The controls can be kind of weird at first but you get use to them. Relaxing to play and challenging when attempting 100% coverage.

Flight Control HD: Easy to pick up and play. A great go to game when you don't have a lot of time and just want something quick to play or chill out with.

Eets: Fun 2D placement puzzle game. I didn't get too far in the game but I enjoyed my time with it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Got all the prizes offered except six (no plans to buy those games)

My haul (about $60 total):

Games
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Alien Breed: Impact
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Atom Zombie Smasher
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
Fortix 2
HOARD
Jamestown
Universe Sandbox
Terraria $2.49 woot!

DLC/Add Ons
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem + DLC
Lara Croft GOL DLC: All the Trappings, Lara Croft GOL DLC: Hazardous Reunion
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Beat Hazard iTunes DLC, Beat Hazard - Ultra
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money, Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC
Tropico 3: Absolute Power
Magicka DLC
Gratuitous Space Battles DLC

Be sure and check out Anomaly: Warzone Earth if you're looking for one more and you're into TD games (this is a reverse TD). Great graphics, solid gameplay, 50% off ($4.99).

my haul:

hitman blood money $2.50
terraria $2.50
company of heroes $2.50
left 4 dead 2 $5
stalker clear sky $2.50
stalker cop $3.75
kotor $2.50
penny arcade pack $1.80

total: $23.05

so nice!

Hal, thanks for mentioning Anomaly: Warzone Earth. I swear I scoured Steam from top to bottom for any and everything I thought I might like this past week but that one went under my radar. I'm over budget after the sale, but it's already on my wishlist for next time I get paid.

Reporting in with my haul:

AI War
Beat Hazard Ultra
Bit.Trip.Runner
C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising
Darksiders
Defense Grid maps
Frozen Synapse
Garshasp
Hoard
Killing Floor DLC
Jamestown
Just Cause 2
Lara Croft DLC
Left 4 Dead
Mafia
Magicka
The Mawesome Pack
The Oddboxx
Sanctum
SpaceChem
STALKER Clear Sky
Terraria
Winter voices

I'm too lazy to add up the totals, but I guesstimate it around $60. I also managed 53 tickets (didn't miss a single one, for the games I had) during the sale, largely because I had many of the games from previous sales and because I have far too much free time.

Despite my best efforts, my wish list actually grew during this sale. >.< At least I was able to crack 300 games (even though I'll probably never play 200 of them. Curse days and them only having 24 hours!).

Sale's over in a matter of hours... wonder what tomorrow's daily is?

Say what you will about how the sale went, but the entire, "people are you just waiting until the last day to buy all that stuff not in the daily deals" was apparently just lies.

*Thumbs up.*

Grrr... Steam sales are addictive.

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas + DLC's
Magicka
Dawn of War - Retribution
Need for Speed pack
Lara Croft the Guardian of Light
AI War
Company of Heroes

This was my first Steam Summer Sale so my wallet took a beating:

Lead and Gold
Braid, Star Wars: KOTOR
Defense Grid + DLC
Doom Pack, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Trine, Bionic Commando Rearmed
Frozen Synapse
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Beat Hazard Complete
Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead Bundle, Far Cry Complete
Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Audiosurf, Lara Croft GOL
Sanctum 4-Pack
Mass Effect, Fallout 3 - Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2, Mafia II, Mafia, Amnesa: The Dark Descent, Worms Reloaded, Splinter Cell Collector Pack
Hitman Collection, Sam and Max: Seasons 1-3, Terraria, Prince of Persia Complete Pack
Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield Pack
GTA IV Complete Bundle

Grand Total: $261.15

Well done Steam :applause:

Say what you will about how the sale went, but the entire, "people are just waiting until the last day to buy all that stuff not in the daily deals" was apparently just bullshit.

*Thumbs up.*

Now some of you people may say you have the right to buy whatever they want. And you would be correct. You do have the right to buy whatever they want. Just like I have the right to bitch about anyone who can't see past their own noses. That or they're too stupid to look past the front page and scour for great deals that were equal to anything on the daily deals.

My haul:

AI: War
Alpha Protocol
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Atom Zombie Shooter
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Beat Hazard
Ben There, Dan That!
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword III: The Sleeping Dragon
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Company of Heroes
Dark Messiah: Might and Magic
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Eets
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Elven Legacy
Elven Legacy: Magic
Elven Legacy: Ranger
Elven Legacy: Siege
Empire: Total War
Eschalon: Book 1
Eschalon: Book 2
Eversion
Far Cry
Far Cry 2
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich
Frozen Synapse
Ghost Master
Gish
Guild Wars
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Hammers of Fate
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
Hitman: Blood Money
Hoard
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Inside a Star-Filled Sky
Jagged Alliance 2 Gold: Unfinished Business
Jagged Alliance 2: Gold Pack
Jamestown
Jolly Rover
Just Cause 2
Killing Floor
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
King's Bounty: The Legend
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
The Last Remnant
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Machinarium
Magika
Majesty 2 Collection
Majesty: Gold Edition
The Maw
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Mr. Robot
Napoleon: Total War
Nimbus
NyxQuest
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode 1
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode 2
Plain Sight
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Puzzle Bots
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Samorost 2
Sanctum
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Shatter
Sid Meier's Civilization V
SpaceChem
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
Terreria
Time Gentleman, Please!
Toki Tori
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Torchlight
Tropico 3 - Steam Special Edition
Tropico 3: Absolute POwer
VVVVVV
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution
Who's That Flying?!
Zen Bound 2

See you in the winter.

I'm just about to make my final Indie purchase, looking to only pick up 2 or 3 of these $3+ games. Any recommendations from this list? Right now I think I'm leaning towards Tiny Bang Story and Dawrfs!?

Gish
Tiny Bang Story
Who's That Flying
Dwarfs!?
Nightsky
Nimbus
Flotilla
Aquaria
Capsized
Tidalis
Beep
Your Doodles are Bugged!

Well after that post, I guess is would be good to post my haul.

Atom Zombie Smasher. Bought it for $5. Really liked the demo. its fairly casual which is what I wanted. Still might get Terraria before the nights out.

Atom Zombie Smasher
Who's that Flying?!
Nation Red 4-Pack
Tiny Bang Story
AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!! + The Wonderful End of the World
Greed Corp 4-Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Jamestown
Best of the Underground
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
NyxQuest
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack
The Polynomial
DogFighter - Four Pack
Cogs
Everyday Shooter
Garry's Mod
Plain Sight - Four Pack
The Mawesome Pack
Portal 2 - The Final Hours
Windosill
Super Laser Racer
Puzzle Bots
RUSH

any takes on the above?
wanted to double-dip on Toki, Flight Control HD and Zen Bound 2 (got them on iOS but thought I should save the money)

I strongly advise the Stronghold Pack

Even though the games are quite old, I can't get enough of playing the very first Stronghold. And you get that, it's expansion, Stronghold Legends (slightly better graphics) AND stronghold 2.

You gather wood and iron and make weapons and armor out of it. You can design your own castle with stone you gathered. Produce food to feed your citizens. The game, even though it's aged, feels like it's really showing a thriving community: labourers are doing their jobs (bakers, beer brewers) women and children are running through your castle and priests are busy blessing your people. Sometimes a fanfare arrives in your town, making your populace more happy which can yield you higher taxes. Bandits or wolves randomly attack you, or you might get the plague in your town or bugs or rabbits that eat your crops.

The most rewarding thing is building a giant wall, entrench it with oil pits and stack it with archers. Order one to light his bow and shoot the oil pits, then watch as you reign down fire and arrows on your attackers. Ohh the joy... :D

If you think CityXL is soulless, this is the other extreme!

I think this gives a nice overview of how it looks (the 1st game. All the images on the steam page are stronghold 2 which I haven't tried yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6yqNl-hHEA&feature=related
If you like medieval games but maybe don't want it too complex like total war, this is the game for you. It also runs on any system :p

All I bought this week was:

Back to the Future- $12.49
Fallout 3: GOTY- $10.xx
Terraria- $2.49

Already own everything else that interested me as far as daily deals go. Almost bought Magicka but it seemed more geared for co-op which is not my thing.

My final from the sale:

Magicka Complete Pack
Stalker Clear Sky
King Arthur Complete Pack
Jamestown
Terraria
Summer Sale Prize - Magicka DLC
Sanctum
Dawn of War 2 - Retribution (via Amazon)

Alright, I've narrowed down my list to these games. I've watched some videos and read some reviews on them all and they all look good. I'm trying to only spend like 15-20$ and that's proving to be tough since I want them all! Can anyone that's played any of these offer some opinions? I'm mainly looking for good pick up and play games that preferably aren't available elsewhere (wiiware, xbox live, etc..) and that are on sale for close to the cheapest that they have been.

I'm leaning towards getting rid of the 2 Eschalons since I don't know when I'd ever get around to playing them, but the price is good and they do seem cool. Same with Aquaria, it looks really awesome and this is the cheapest it's been but it looks like it would probably take awhile to play through.

Eschalon Book 1 - 3.74
Eschalon Book 2 - 4.99
Flight Control HD - 1.25
Rush - 1.24
Zen Bound 2 - 1.00
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwhich of Time - 1.25
vvvvvv - 2.49
Eversion - 2.49
Eets - 2.49
The Mawesome Pack - 2.99
Tiny Bang Story - 3.40
Dwarfs!? - 4.99
Aquaria - 4.99
Your Doodles are Bugged 4.99

[quote name='wilflare']Atom Zombie Smasher
Who's that Flying?!
Nation Red 4-Pack
Tiny Bang Story
AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!! + The Wonderful End of the World
Greed Corp 4-Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Jamestown
Best of the Underground
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
NyxQuest
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack
The Polynomial
DogFighter - Four Pack
Cogs
Everyday Shooter
Garry's Mod
Plain Sight - Four Pack
The Mawesome Pack
Portal 2 - The Final Hours
Windosill
Super Laser Racer
Puzzle Bots
RUSH

any takes on the above?
wanted to double-dip on Toki, Flight Control HD and Zen Bound 2 (got them on iOS but thought I should save the money)[/QUOTE]

I'm largely in the same boat as you, I'm considering a lot of the same games. Unfortunately the only one I've actually played is Atom Zombie Smasher and I didn't really like it. The basic premise is that you have a random assortment of units/devices in which to kill/stall zombies in cities while you try and rescue as many civilians as possible. I felt it was wayyyy too hard and lacked a decent tutorial on advanced strategies. It also irked me that you could win every single "battle" in the cities and still lose the "war" by a large amount. Everything is also completely random and there really isn't any sort of story, just some little vignettes.

Bought about 10 games.

So far the only ones I regret are

Cities XL (imo subpar city builder... Viva Tropico!!!)
King Arthur Collection (not my type of game, feels like its 10 years old)

Oblivion GOTY Deluxe
Hitman: Blood Money
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Terraria

Free crap:
Alien Breed 2
Portal 2 snorkels
TF2 shades
Monday Night Combat summer gear

A good enough haul for me, considering Hitman was the only one not on my wishlist. I'll probably end up spending more during the winter sale.

[quote name='jimbodan']Alright, I've narrowed down my list to these games. I've watched some videos and read some reviews on them all and they all look good. I'm trying to only spend like 15-20$ and that's proving to be tough since I want them all! Can anyone that's played any of these offer some opinions? I'm mainly looking for good pick up and play games that preferably aren't available elsewhere (wiiware, xbox live, etc..) and that are on sale for close to the cheapest that they have been.

I'm leaning towards getting rid of the 2 Eschalons since I don't know when I'd ever get around to playing them, but the price is good and they do seem cool. Same with Aquaria, it looks really awesome and this is the cheapest it's been but it looks like it would probably take awhile to play through.

Eschalon Book 1 - 3.74
Eschalon Book 2 - 4.99
Flight Control HD - 1.25
Rush - 1.24
Zen Bound 2 - 1.00
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwhich of Time - 1.25
vvvvvv - 2.49
Eversion - 2.49
Eets - 2.49
The Mawesome Pack - 2.99
Tiny Bang Story - 3.40
Dwarfs!? - 4.99
Aquaria - 4.99
Your Doodles are Bugged 4.99[/QUOTE]

I strongly recommend Aqauria, VVVVVV, and probably Eversion. All three of those games are very good.

Sorry for the double post...I'll change this one to also say that I highly recommend VVVVVV, Aquaria, and The Mawesome Pack out of the games that you posted jimbodan!

What I ended up getting

Leaf and Gold
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (I think this is my 3rd time getting this game now, wanted it on steam)
Star Wars Empire at War Gold (One of the few Star Wars games I never owned actually)
King Arthur: Collection
Worms Reloaded
Terraria
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Guns of Icarus
Plain Sight
Garry's Mod
Poker Night at the Inventory
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
The ID Super Pack since I didn't have any of those games and steam and I'll enjoy every one :p
Alien Breed 2 with the tickets

Overall I felt like I got a good amount of games that will hold me over for a while, picked up a few of them that were cheap mainly for the coop with friends so that should be fun.

[quote name='danstabbingworth']I strongly recommend Aqauria, VVVVVV, and probably Eversion. All three of those games are very good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MoCiWe']Sorry for the double post...I'll change this one to also say that I highly recommend VVVVVV, Aquaria, and The Mawesome Pack out of the games that you posted jimbodan![/QUOTE]

Thanks, VVVVVV and Eversion are on my definitely buy list now. I'll probably add the Mawesome pack too, seems like a lot of content for cheap. Still kind of on the fence on Aquaria though, it looks really fun and the price is really good but I'm afraid I'll either never get the time to play it or else I'll get stuck in it when I do. It also doesn't seem very pick and up play friendly. Damned if it doesn't look awesome though!

any games not advertised as daily deals that look interesting and are good deals? Grabbed penny arcade adventures, never player episode 2.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']any games not advertised as daily deals that look interesting and are good deals? Grabbed penny arcade adventures, never player episode 2.[/QUOTE]

Check out all the games I listed above in my posts, as well the post I quoted by Wilflare. Lot's of good stuff listed there. At the very least VVVVVV seems to be getting rave reviews if you like 2d platformers. The Ben There, Dan That/ Time, Gentlemen Please! double pack also got great reviews if you are into point and click adventures.

Hmm, I'm on the fence about Two Worlds II. I already had Witcher 2 gifted to me, so I might be ok on the third-person RPG front for a while.

Think it's still worthwhile to pick up?

Total Damage Done:

1. Oblivion GOTY Deluxe $8.50
2. Dragon Age Ultimate Edition $10.20
3. Assassin's Creed Collector's Pack $27.19
4. Defense Grid (redeemed 3 tickets for DLC) $2.49
5. Jamestown $4.99
6. The Last Remnant $9.99
7. Fallout 3 GOTY $10.19

$73.55

I now have 167 games listed on my SteamCommunity profile and 100 games on SteamCalculator (joined Steam in September 2003)...Very satisfied ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back