Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but tw2's dialogue was terrible 99% of the time imo. i dont mind occasional snark, but the game mocking itself *constantly* just annoyed the hell out of me, and the new We Have To Be Batman voice for the protagonist only made it worse.

i actually do think basically everything was vastly improved (especially quests) but not enough to hold my attention. i knew it wouldnt be morrowind but i really wanted a cheap game where i could wander around in nice environments and mindlessly hit things while watching tv until i got ultra overpowered and rich, just because. and tw2 didnt deliver on that. those are my personal expectations, definitely, though, and it makes sense for most people to prefer tw2 over tw1

Didnt like either Two Worlds game, but honestly didnt give either a fair shot.

finally went through the 5 pages of steam cards I had built up and have made a little over $7 so far.  Nothing too special, but it'll pay for a game at some point so I cant complain. 

I have Two Worlds still sealed someplace. And yet, you bastards have me wishing I had it on steam.
I actually recently re-bought Two Worlds 1: Epic + Two Worlds 2: Epic - just to have them on GOG...and DRM-FREE.

Those games are notorious for their DRM on ANY Non-GOG versions.

<DRM on 2W1+2>

It's a damn shame that the Steam-versions of 2W1+2 (and other Non-GOG versions, for that matter) still come w/ that crappy homebrew DRM that has them pathetic install limits that you have no revokes for; and then you have to PM board members in control of DRM at Zuxxez and/or e-mail support to get the activations reset - especially for the SP-portion. What kind of crap is that?

Going w/ CEG DRM only (at the worst) or just No DRM period on Steam-versions would've been perfectly fine, IMHO.

sorry but tw2's dialogue was terrible 99% of the time imo. i dont mind occasional snark, but the game mocking itself *constantly* just annoyed the hell out of me, and the new We Have To Be Batman voice for the protagonist only made it worse.

i actually do think basically everything was vastly improved (especially quests) but not enough to hold my attention. i knew it wouldnt be morrowind but i really wanted a cheap game where i could wander around in nice environments and mindlessly hit things while watching tv until i got ultra overpowered and rich, just because. and tw2 didnt deliver on that. those are my personal expectations, definitely, though, and it makes sense for most people to prefer tw2 over tw1
FWIW the TW2 expansion is basically a completely separate game and the dialog is better plus they replaced the PCs voice actor.

I had no real problem w/ the snark and mocking in 2W2 - probably b/c I was liking the game and its laundry list of improvements, as it was. I do feel - sometimes, games do indeed take themselves quite a bit too seriously, anyways.

If we're talking about snark, mocking, parodying, and joking around in RPG's - I think Larian does that way better than most...see their Divinity series.

Of course - I never expected 2W series to ever have the kind of excellent characters, writing, dialogue, and story-telling that world-class RPG studios like BioWare and Obsidian always seem to put into their RPG's.

EDIT:

FWIW the TW2 expansion is basically a completely separate game and the dialog is better plus they replaced the PCs voice actor.
Damn - I still need to get around to actually playing that expansion.

Gothic series is MUCH better than 2W (Two Worlds) series on certain things - especially on the immersion factor, story-telling + character development stuff. Gothic is also much harder and way more hardcore than the Fable series + 2W series ever dared to be, as well.

2W series just has better controls than Gothic, namely - mostly for the combat. Plus, w/ the 2W series - you can get really addicted to the crafting systems - 2W1 had it w/ the potion crafting; but especially in 2W2 w/ its additional weapon crafting + magic system. It has this Diablo-type of addiction w/ its crafting and upgrading system.

I think Gothic 1 is the best game in that franchise, IMHO. It was so fresh, so different, so new, and seeing such excellent AI behavior - there was nothing like it when it came out. Great game. Though, final cliffhanger ending - was the right ending, but felt too abrupt for me and could've been expanded on a bit.

While I did like Gothic 2 a lot and thought it was very good, a lot of my minor complaints from the original game were magnified times 10 here in the sequel (lack of mouse-look, performance issues galore back in the day when it was out on many PC's, over-used voice-actors for main + side characters that don't even change their voice-style per characters, cliffhanger ending in the base-game, and the list goes on).

Gothic 3 is a technical disaster - even w/ all the Community Patches. Underneath it, lies a great game. If they could even knock out all the issues, the game could be great. But, I don't think that'll ever happen - it would require an even more massive overhaul than what we already have. And that game's probably too big for its own good, anyways - as also the map + journal are bare minimum here and just not super useful; especially in a game this huge.

If you don't own Gothic 1 + 2, you really should get them - especially if you love RPG's; and especially hardcore type of RPG's.

Onto 2W series...

I think 2W1 (Two Worlds 1) has the "this is so bad, it's good factor" - namely, I'm talking about how poor the story-telling, dialogue, and actual writing is. 2W2 (Two Worlds 2) improved on this stuff quite a bit, to say the least. Unfortunately - when 2W1 came out, while the game was jaw-dropping and gorgeous to look at - the game just flat-out ran like garbage on most PC's - thank God for Best Buy's Sale on it, where it was only ONE Penny. :D As for 2W2 - it ran much better when it came out, on the technical side; and again, the game was just flat-out gorgeous to look at.
seem like ur pretty knowledgable about the franchise.. so what's the difference between Gothic 3 and Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?

So Killing Floor is on sale but DLC is still 50%. Not only that, but a lot of the DLCs have had their prices bumped up from $4.99 to $7.99.

Just thought you guys should know.
That is kinda nuts that those early skin DLC prices have jumped from $2 to $8, but they've been bundled so many times it shouldn't be all that hard to find keys in the wild.

As far as the other DLC goes, not having been 75, I've reached the acceptance stage. With the amount of free stuff and updates they've put out twice/thrice a year for the past several years, I don't have any hard feelings for wanting to recoup some of the costs via mostly cosmetic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyk1qezYKXk

The wub gives the chub.
Not a single CAG secure enough in their masculinity to give that a like.

seem like ur pretty knowledgable about the franchise.. so what's the difference between Gothic 3 and Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?
forsaken gods includes the expansion pack, which wasn't developed by the original team behind gothic 3 and reportedly sucks

Oh there's errors plenty. And you have to admit they both make about as much sense.
I can usually understand Tebow.

That chick... she's just plain out of her mind.

and HATED two worlds 2. i dont know how this happened to me
I think somewhere in your development as a human being you just failed at personhood.

It's cool. We won't hold it against you. (Too much.)

All you need is Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and Gothic 3.  And Risen.  Gothic 3 is kind of mediocre but it's still worth playing.

Watch he's codex so old farty RPGs are practically religion to them. I mean they basically created an entire site to constantly spew vitriol about how they just don't make games like the RPG good old days.

Alright, I caved in and picked up Gothic Universe. When The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Complete goes on sale for 4.99 you know who to thank

All you need is Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and Gothic 3. And Risen. Gothic 3 is kind of mediocre but it's still worth playing.
I liked Risen 2, but to be honest because pirates only!!! Well and that little funny NPC I don't remember what he said but was funny for me.

Anyways I'm looking forward to see Risen 3.

So Mooby.. do you like RPG's right?.

[quote name="dfg" post="11895787" timestamp="1404522493"]

Not a single CAG secure enough in their masculinity to give that a like.[/quote]
I Liked it on YouTube last night.

Piranha Bytes (PB) developed first three Gothic games - Gothic 1; Gothic 2 + Night Of The Raven expansion; and Gothic 3 base game.

They also developed the Risen series of games.

Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is a stand-alone expansion - and it was NOT developed by PB.

Never played it. Can't tell you how good or bad it is.

Even though I do own it from retail.

I liked Risen 2, but to be honest because pirates only!!! Well and that little funny NPC I don't remember what he said but was funny for me.

Real RPGs, yes.

Mooby? Liking games?

4691573+_b66753392108395251304ed6f9cba9eb.jpg

forsaken gods includes the expansion pack, which wasn't developed by the original team behind gothic 3 and reportedly sucks
suckier than Gothic 3? how on earth can it happen? o_O MysterD said that Gothic 3 is just a technical mess.. so Forsaken God is even more broken?

Oh there's errors plenty. And you have to admit they both make about as much sense.
i regret my attempt to convince you NOT to look up Molly.. .it's a learning process, young one.. an opportunity for growth & maturation. Shielding you from such horror will only dwarf your potential for great duckhood. :D/

So Killing Floor is on sale but DLC is still 50%. Not only that, but a lot of the DLCs have had their prices bumped up from $4.99 to $7.99.

Just thought you guys should know.
In a rare Dispenser.tf win for me, several people are selling the complete(?) bundle for 2 keys. Figured that for $4.50 for the whole mess vs the $12.75 sale price it was worth a try.

suckier than Gothic 3? how on earth can it happen? o_O MysterD said that Gothic 3 is just a technical mess.. so Forsaken God is even more broken?
errors aside, the game itself sucks.

btw there's a community patch that fixes gothic 3, not sure if mysterd mentioned that or not

i regret my attempt to convince you NOT to look up Molly.. .it's a learning process, young one.. an opportunity for growth & maturation. Shielding you from such horror will only dwarf your potential for great duckhood. :D/
But my mommy says molly can cause depression after the first dose.

suckier than Gothic 3? how on earth can it happen? o_O
<Gothic 3 - being released too early + being a technical issues>

About Gothic 3 (base game) - that game has a great game hidden, somewhere underneath all of the technical problems. It pretty much launched in an Alpha State...or worse. The publisher basically kicked this behemoth out the door WAY, WAY, WAY too soon. Even after numerous patches, it was still a mess - even including Community Patches.

Load times were horrible; they'd literally take about 2 minutes or so to load or more on my PC, back in the day. The game performed horrible, no matter what resolution or settings you ran it on. No matter what settings or PC you had - the game would just stutter, here and there; think like say Gears of War 1 PC's major complaint on most PC's, back when that launched. Clipping was a problem again (always was on the Gothic games) - whether clipping through terrain and falling into oblivion and never dying (i.e. go reload last save, or you'll wait for dude to...never hit a floor and die for falling too far); projectiles (magic like say fireballs, arrows from bows) clipping through walls. One of the biggest problems in Gothic 3 was combat - you could literally hit an enemy and then they just get them stuck + stop moving (whether AI died or you noticed the enemy's graphics clipped and they couldn't move right) - so then you could pounce them and just spam the attack button, no matter how big their health bar is and what level they are.

<G3 doing the seamless world thing + more on technical issues>

Gothic 3 always tried to do the seamless world thing, loading entire world at once - probably to keep them interrupting load times out of the game from when you're entering new areas, entering houses, and things like that. They probably should've split the world up a bit - just to keep load times down + to possibly knock-down performance issues. Processing the amount of info G3 was doing - from complex AI + AI behavior schedules; to lots of stuff on screen in this ridiculously sized world that was probably bigger than G1+2 put together - this was looking to be a recipe of disaster from the jump. Even G2 had two areas at least split apart (since it was at least 2 times the size of the original) - probably b/c they knew load times + performance would be crazy, otherwise. Wise-move - as it probably kept performance up. Even if they split G3's world into a few pieces - that probably would've been for the better.

<Gothic series = hardcore>

These games are hardcore - if you look in an area and see a huge monster - there's a good likelihood you don't wanna go into the area. Likely - it's WAY outside your level, until way, way later. In the Gothic games, you could easily take a turn - and one way would land you into an area way outside of your level. If the enemies look much bigger and much more menacing in the distance and you're not a super-high level yet - JUST DON'T GO THERE! Quick-saving is your friend - abuse it b/c you're going to run into areas in Gothic 1 + 2 that'll wipe you out w/ one or two swings, if you go the "wrong" way.

<Gothic 3 + Forsaken Gods - All about the Community Patches>

Community Patches - since you should use them (b/c they overhaul the game quite a bit), I'd suggest using balanced combat - since they tweaked the hell out of it. It's improved the combat quite a bit on that game - from stopping some of the issues of being able to spam enemies and whatnot.

<Gothic series - known for its carefully crafted worlds>

AFAIK - Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is nowhere as carefully put together as Gothic series, from what I heard + read. Can't speak on it; ain't played it. But, Trine Games developed it; not Piranha Bytes.

What Gothic 1 + 2 were known for - the entire world was very carefully crafted. It's what PB's known for. From who's in what area; what the people do in the area; what skills you can learn from what trainers; to what the situation is in that area; etc etc - everything is meticulously crafted in these games. The game knew how to immerse you into the story, world, and atmosphere. Gothic 3 did have this, but not everywhere like G1+2 had - but b/c G3's world was so damn big, there was also a lot of "one-off" fetch-quests w/ not much decision-making involved, too. One thing Gothic 1 + 2 were known for - making decisions of who you align with, which also could dictate what trainers you'd be around and what skills you could learn, too. By doing quests especially and things in an area - you'd run-up (or down) a reputation in an area - and eventually, get to meet more important and more powerful people in an area.

I might've spend over 70 hours w/ G3, hoping eventually that official patches and community patches could fix the severe issues. I still played it a ton, despite issues galore. It was the game I'd keep installed, hoping it'd get fixed to the point I could finally finish it - nope, never happened.

<Some Final Thoughts on Risen + Gothic series>

Eventually, Risen series came out - and I really ain't touched G3 much since. No real need to.

If you like PB's games - seriously, just stick w/ Gothic 1 + 2; and Risen 1 + Risen 2. All of those games range from really good (Risen 1 + 2; and Gothic 2) to great (Gothic 1), IMHO.

You could certainly give G3 a whirl - just if you do, make sure it's all patched-up officially and got the newest Community Patch; and hope to God it ain't as broken as it once was. The Last Community Patch that I tested (1.73), it was still a disaster, IMHO.

That's more words than Gothic deserves.
Well, I could also go on about the stuff that was supposedly happening behind the scenes w/ PB + their publisher JoWood.

<Behind the scenes stuff b/t PB + JoWood over Gothic series>

Basically, after G3 launched - PB was rumored to have been working on a huge patch and expansion w/ new content to obliterate issues in G3. They tried to make a deal w/ JoWood to release this - but, JoWood basically struck a deal w/ PB to use Gothic IP rights for a while (since the game was a commercial failure, PB probably need money, and wanted a more lenient publisher) and JoWood opted to have someone else work on future Gothic games, for the time being.

So, thus - Risen was created.

Thus - PB took Risen to another publisher, Deep Silver.

<Risen + Gothic universes - Are they linked? Or not?>

Only, one thing - I think Risen universe could be tied to Gothic universe. It's unofficial, right now. It could happen at a later date officially. Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows.

If you've played G1+2+3 and Risen 1, it's also insinuated here and there that this series could be part of the Gothic universe. I do wonder if Risen 1 was also going to be PB's rumored G3 expansion, at one time. Risen 1 is a lot similar to Gothic 1 + Gothic 2 w/ some similar story elements; story elements that feel continued; the game being in an isolated area; and especially its game-opening moment.

While Risen certainly feels like a spiritual successor....

<SPOILERS section - Risen 1 + Gothic 1, 2, and 3 spoilers incoming...>

...Risen got stuff in it that makes you question if this is part of the Gothic universe.

To go into some details...

Since Risen 3 is subtitled Titan Lords, this looks like a focus on Gods and Titans - and this again sounds like it's continuing Xardas' evil and major unfinished plans from their Gothic series.

In Risen 1, Titans were unleashed upon the world. These feels like the plans that Xardas talked about in the Gothic series. Risen 3 sounds it'll be like more of a sequel to Risen 1, than the pirate theme that was the main focus from Risen 2. I'm also curious if Risen 3 will take place before Risen 2 or after.

Only time will tell...

Yes, there are a lots of words, but Gothic is something special, at least for me.

MysterD is like Gothic, he needs some love :) . It's not for all tastes though.
Yes - I think PB's early Gothic series (G1+2+3) are NOT for everyone. At their heart - they're a hardcore RPG that can be punishingly difficult, if you don't play smart and/or play your cards right.

And IMHO for me, Dark Souls series is just MUCH harder than Gothic series.

But, yes - Gothic 1 is one of those RPG's that I thought were absolutely stunning and amazing, back when it came out. Full-fledged voice-acting; excellent AI + behavior system; really good graphics in a RPG (for its time); excellent story + atmosphere - there was nothing else like it, at its time. We can all say that Gothic 1+2 and Risen 1 + 2 are very similar and almost the same game, in some ways or many ways - depending which games and what stuff you're looking at. It's still that first one for me, Gothic 1, that stands the test of time - and I think is PB's best game.

Many would argue against that - and I'm certain some might even prefer G2, for it's much bigger world and more epic storyline.

Yes - I think PB's early Gothic series (G1+2+3) are NOT for everyone. At their heart - they're a hardcore RPG that can be punishingly difficult, if you don't play smart and/or play your cards right.

And IMHO for me, Dark Souls series is just MUCH harder than Gothic series.

But, yes - Gothic 1 is one of those RPG's that I thought were absolutely stunning and amazing, back when it came out. Full-fledged voice-acting; excellent AI + behavior system; really good graphics in a RPG (for its time); excellent story + atmosphere - there was nothing else like it, at its time. We can all say that Gothic 1+2 and Risen 1 + 2 are very similar and almost the same game, in some ways or many ways - depending which games and what stuff you're looking at. It's still that first one for me, Gothic 1, that stands the test of time - and I think is PB's best game.

Many would argue against that - and I'm certain some might even prefer G2, for it's much bigger world and more epic storyline.
so by skipping gothic 3 and its expansion (it stated enhanced edition, so does it mean that they fix all issues?), do i miss any important story line? thanks

Did somebody say pierats?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=281267711 :bouncy:

Yup. Hope it does so again now that I finally have a 20% off coupon. :mrgreen:

In a rare Dispenser.tf win for me, several people are selling the complete(?) bundle for 2 keys. Figured that for $4.50 for the whole mess vs the $12.75 sale price it was worth a try.
Cool. Just a heads-up since we're in the same boat, you'll be missing the Mrs. Foster DLC and the 2 new DLC packs (Neon shit).

If you and any other CAGs wanna play during the summer event, we should get something going.

No you don't. Those indie pixel trash shit "games" you keep wish-listing are not real RPGs.

I'm playing Divinity OS now... meanwhile you're playing animu Victim of Xen. "But I'm just idling for cards." Sure.
Why are you arguing with yourself Moobruticis?

I'm still kicking myself for missing this.
+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back