Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have lurker shaming Humble links to post, but in the mean time, here's a handful of keys I've been scrounging from the lesser known and easily forgotten bundlers. More junk to come maybe.

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 1 DLC - [SIZE=100%] 5QQN9-6DK8F-5B04Y [/SIZE]

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 2 DLC [SIZE=100%] - [/SIZE][SIZE=100%] [/SIZE]W7IL7-76ZFE-LB3T7

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 3 DLC [SIZE=100%] [/SIZE][SIZE=100%] [/SIZE]KD7D2-23ABP-HN9BP
I took these. Thanks!

(Hacker Evolution Untold) Hardcore Music Pack DLC - [SIZE=100%] [/SIZE]GCDE4-TDCRQ-0IMTW
I managed to grab this... and it's not the music pack, it activated Hardcore Pack 2. Whoops. All I need are the music packs since they never go on sale for some reason.

Thanks though.

any reason why they drop Altair?
Probably b/c the game takes place in Italy and in a different time period. We follow Ezio from his youth until he gets much older. Oh, plus Ezio has a lot more personality than Altair.

Altair is important to AC:R, though - since that game focuses on both Ezio + Altair.

Motoki posted this in the Amazon PCDD thread. I just grabbed a copy and can confirm it's a Steam key.
Thanks for the heads up. While getting my key from my games library I noticed that the last PC game purchase I made from Amazon was way back in early July. How sad.

Motoki posted this in the Amazon PCDD thread. I just grabbed a copy and can confirm it's a Steam key.
Thanks for the heads up. While getting my key from my games library I noticed that the last PC game purchase I made from Amazon was way back in early July. How sad.

Don't buy if you plan on playing it in online co-op. There's so much desynching that it makes the game unplayable, and there's a bug that causes the 2nd player to always have inverted aiming controls.

The singleplayer should be ok though.

Okay, so Dragon Age 2. I'm the brokenest of all broken records with this game. A lot of people hated it. I thought I was going to hate it, but I ended up liking it. Most of the criticisms were fair, but I found I liked the characters and dialogue enough to make up for it.

This part is important though. I could not stand the combat on normal mode. It was terrible. It was disgusting. It was shallow. Once I put the game on hard mode I started enjoying it again. There are a lot of synergies in the skill trees, many cross class, that don't come into play until you put it on hard mode.

If you don't care about combat, put it on easy and breeze through the story as fast as possible. If you do care about combat, put it on hard. It's not really that hard, but at the time anything that required thought beyond "mash this button" was too much for some people apparently.

To this day, this is the only thing that has disappointed me in the series. It started off as a return to challenging PC-style role-playing games, but oh, most of the sales were on consoles and they were kind of babies so we better make it easier and more fast paced. Sigh.

No offense to any babies in the audience, at least they bought it.
I think the biggest issue wasn't what platforms had the best sales but the amount of time they had to work on the game... Which, was the game's biggest issue across the board. It seemed to me like it was a "one interface to rule them all" issue instead of customizing it for each platform. I think an extra year would have given the PC the interface it deserved.

* I speak as some who has only played the first two DA games via console... I've played all the other classic "D&D inspired" Bioware games on PC.

I think the biggest issue wasn't what platforms had the best sales but the amount of time they had to work on the game... Which, was the game's biggest issue across the board. It seemed to me like it was a "one interface to rule them all" issue instead of customizing it for each platform. I think an extra year would have given the PC the interface it deserved.

* I speak as some who has only played the first two DA games via console... I've played all the other classic "D&D inspired" Bioware games on PC.
It's more than just the interface.

Also throw in these problems: tons of recycled maps, the game-world is not that huge (you're in Kirkwall, one city, for most of it), lack of customization of equipment on certain parts of certain party members, removal of tac-cam, combat is not as strategic as DAO & main storyline is nowhere as epic as DAO.

Don't buy if you plan on playing it in online co-op. There's so much desynching that it makes the game unplayable, and there's a bug that causes the 2nd player to always have inverted aiming controls.

The singleplayer should be ok though.
I don't even plan on playing it. So I'll be aight. ;)

Bulletstorm is ridiculous fun. The story and dialogue will have you rolling your eyes, but the gameplay is great. The entire game is set around making the absolute most mayhem that you can, and you are rewarded for it -- with arcade style point pop ups -- right in the game. The guys that made Painkiller (the great original, not the crappy sequels), created the game and you can tell by looking at some of the crazy weapons you get to use:

- 4 Barell (yes) Shotgun
- A cannonball launcher
- A gun that fires two grenades connected by a chain (which can be super-heated)
- A gun that shoots rocket propelled drills
- A sniper rifle that lets you guide the bullet

And all of them have alternate fire modes. It's tons o' fun, so, don't pass it up altogether. I didn't have problems running it the last time, but I guess everyone is different. Personally, I'd snatch it up at $3.99 as it seems unlikely it'd ever go lower than that.

Oh, I use Origin. It's where I keep all the free games they give me that I never play.
You make it sound too good to resist for a mere $3.99. Who am I to stand in the way of creating mayhem :twoguns: ...Bought!

So like an idiot I bought Skyrim(vanilla) on GMG for $4 yesterday now the Legendary Bundle is on sale on Steam. If I buy the bundle on Steam as a gift, would I receive 1 key or 4 keys?

On the product page it says bundle includes 4 items:
Skyrim
Hearthfire
DawnGuard
Dragonborn

If it's separate keys I'll just get it and drop the key for the base game, but if it's only one I'll probably just pass.

So like an idiot I bought Skyrim(vanilla) on GMG for $4 yesterday now the Legendary Bundle is on sale on Steam. If I buy the bundle on Steam as a gift, would I receive 1 key or 4 keys?

Skyrim
Hearthfire
DawnGuard
Dragonborn

If it's separate keys I'll just get it and drop the key for the base game, but if it's only one I'll probably just pass.
Buying Skyrim base, bad move.

Buying Skyrim Legendary will only allow you to get the DLC... the base game is a loss. You will not receive any compensation, nor will you get a giftable version of the base.

Your best deal for getting the DLC is finding Skyrim Legendary for ~$10.79 on GMG or Nuuvem.

It's more than just the interface.

Also throw in these problems: tons of recycled maps, the game-world is not that huge (you're in Kirkwall, one city, for most of it), lack of customization of equipment on certain parts of certain party members, removal of tac-cam, combat is not as strategic as DAO & main storyline is nowhere as epic as DAO.
I view the removal of the tactical camera as an interface issue for the PC version... (Granted there no reason why it couldn't be on the console version too... but tactics on the console version of DAO was an issue at times.) Recycled maps, small game world, one city, lack of equipment customization was all an issue of lack of time.

Storyline was indeed not as epic as DAO... but what RPG is? (That's more of a rhetorical question... Just me trying to point out that DAO was likely top 5 in story all time in RPGs.)

Skyrim
Hearthfire
DawnGuard
Dragonborn

Let this be a lesson - never, ever buy the base game for a game if you intend to buy the dlc, unless the dlc hasn't been announced but not yet released and you just really want to play the game. Buying the base for a game with the intention of picking up dlc later is a surefire way to get gouged for pricing, as many companies don't put their dlc on a level of sale which makes the purchase of the dlc + base comparable with a GOTY edition.

Your choices are to either buy the DLC off Amazon right now (Dawnguard/Dragonborn are five bucks each and hearthfire is 2.50) or as ashes said try to find legendary on nuuvem or gmg for 10 bucks. Not sure if its on sale there for that price right now or not.

Storyline was indeed not as epic as DAO... but what RPG is? (That's more of a rhetorical question... Just me trying to point out that DAO was likely top 5 in story all time in RPGs.)

IMHO you're severely overrating the story of DAO. It was pretty cliche. It had deep lore and characters but the storyline itself was nothing special.

Let this be a lesson - never, ever buy the base game for a game if you intend to buy the dlc, unless the dlc hasn't been announced but not yet released and you just really want to play the game. Buying the base for a game with the intention of picking up dlc later is a surefire way to get gouged for pricing, as many companies don't put their dlc on a level of sale which makes the purchase of the dlc + base comparable with a GOTY edition.

Your choices are to either buy the DLC off Amazon right now (Dawnguard/Dragonborn are five bucks each and hearthfire is 2.50) or as ashes said try to find legendary on nuuvem or gmg for 10 bucks. Not sure if its on sale there for that price right now or not.

IMHO you're severely overrating the story of DAO. It was pretty cliche. It had deep lore and characters but the storyline itself was nothing special.
Or if an EA game, gouged forever... (bringing it back around!).

I'd say forgo the DLC or just get Dragonborn off Amazon and then use mods.

Damn near every video game story is a cliche...? DAO Cliche is just so extremely tightly woven compared to most anything else that it stands out. Truth be told.

DAII is less of a cliche than DAO, or most games to be honest... and it doesn't fair very well compared to DAO. *shrug*

Damn near every video game story is a cliche...? DAO Cliche is just so extremely tightly woven compared to most anything else that it stands out. Truth be told.

DAII is less of a cliche than DAO, or most games to be honest... and it doesn't fair very well compared to DAO. *shrug*
I'm not saying the story was bad, especially in the context of video games as a whole, but saying it's top five amongst all rpgs i just don't think is true. Heck, Bioware itself has multiple rpgs whose stories are more interesting/creative, like Kotor 1, ME1, Baldur's Gate. Add in games like the Witcher series, Planescape, early Fallout games, System Shock games, etc. People bash the Elder Scrolls for its story telling, but I personally think Morrowind was pretty good, much more creative than DAO. Obviously this is subjective, but I just don't think DAO is really all that close to the top in terms of story. If you want to say top five in terms of recent rpgs, maybe, but I don't think it's really close for all time.

Hey man JRPG's  are where the real good stories are. Western rpg's are a projection of yourself so you can make your own story and...

oh i'm sorry that was my teenage weaboo-self talking... he's gone(dead) now.

Hey man JRPG's are where the real good stories are. Western rpg's are a projection of yourself so you can make your own story and...

oh i'm sorry that was my teenage weaboo-self talking... he's gone(dead) now.
Thank goodness, take a dump on his grave daily. Thankfully I was never in the darkness

Since no-one posted yet (people gave up on the sale this early?)

New 12 but really 24 hour deals:

The Wolf Among Us--$6.24 (75% off)

Omerta: City of Gangsters--$2.99 (85% off)

Killer Is Dead Nightmare Edition--$6.79 (66% off)

Awesomenauts--$0.99 (90% off)

Bastion--$3.74 (75% off)

Valiant Hearts--$5.99 (60% off)

Since no-one posted yet (people gave up on the sale this early?)

New 12 but really 24 hour deals:

The Wolf Among Us--$6.24 (75% off)

Omerta: City of Gangsters--$2.99 (85% off)

Killer Is Dead Nightmare Edition--$6.79 (66% off)

Bastion--$3.74 (75% off)

Valiant Hearts--$5.99 (60% off)
Some part of me is hoping against hope that the deals on the 25th will be fantastic, but, yeah, I've more or less given up. Honestly it feels as though the Thanksgiving sale was better than this one. I think the best I can hope for is that there may be a pretty good discount on one or two things like Wings! or Wasteland 2. If not, I'll probably just use most of my credit on Take On Mars and grab one or two of the cheap indies on my wishlist and call it a day.

These deals sort-of embody the generic "Steam sale deals": some bundle repeats at pretty good prices, a couple of bundle repeats or fodder at deep discounts but not really "cheap," and some niche titles like Killer is Dead and The Wolf Among Us at significant discounts but not really "cheap." I'd probably like to the play the latter two at some point, but at that price, it's cheaper for me to rent TWAU for a weekend from a Redbox for PS3. It feels like a $5 title to me for some reason, so if this is the best discount it will get, I'm better off waiting for it to be bundled, which it probably will be sometime next year. Killer is Dead is bound to hit $5 at some point too, I suspect. So at the end of the day, this is how I summarize the Steam holiday sale: a few reasonable deals but nothing that's spectacular and no gimmick to make it interesting (yeah, I know that was the gem nonsense, but the barrier to entry for those auctions was pretty high for people who didn't have a lot of Steambux, and it looked like something more insomnia-inducing than GOG's insomnia sales, which isn't all that fun). I think that Valve gave up a few years ago on trying to make these sales fun and creative ways to justify exploring your backlog while bargain-hunting at the same time, and once it did, it kinda sucked the fun out of it for all of us (well, for me at least).

EDIT: Also, not being able to grab even better deals from our comrades hurts this sale more than any other. With Amazon having thrown in the towel, Greenman's most significant deals being tied to its VIP-room-lapdance-crap, and no Gamersgate glitches to speak of, it's a fairly dismal holiday deal season. Maybe I need to make some hot chocolate and watch a stupid Christmas movie because I'm starting to depress myself.

Friendly reminder that this was in a Humble Bundle so you probably already have a copy.

Don't waste your cash.

EDIT: Also, not being able to grab even better deals from our comrades hurts this sale more than any other. With Amazon having thrown in the towel, Greenman's most significant deals being tied to its VIP-room-lapdance-crap, and no Gamersgate glitches to speak of, it's a fairly dismal holiday deal season. Maybe I need to make some hot chocolate and watch a stupid Christmas movie because I'm starting to depress myself.
Nuuvem is not the hero we need, but the one we deserve.

Obviously this is subjective, but I just don't think DAO is really all that close to the top in terms of story. If you want to say top five in terms of recent rpgs, maybe, but I don't think it's really close for all time.
That's the best part of this... There is no right or wrong choices. Its whatever pulls you in and captures your imagination the most. :)

Just a quick notes since I really should be in Midtown right now... (Marvel Heroes has an awesome weekly even called Midtown Madness where the drop rates or much better than normal.. and so is the XP. And I need to get Venom to lvl 60!)

I think KotoR has the best twist in gaming, so much so that some close to a decade and a half you see people respectful enough in this thread to not mention it out right... but to me the rest of its not quite as good as DAO but that's hardly a slight. Again nothing wrong with agreeing with me or not agreeing with me.

Mass Effect, the first is need an all time classic story, the whole series is an all time classic in gameplay (I would honestly be just as happy to see Bioware remake them all to mimic ME1's gameplay OR see ME1 remade to mimic the gameplay of the others), but I just cannot separate ME1's story from the rest of the series. Maybe that's my failure or proof that the story in the ME trilogy is suppose to be viewed as an all in one collection is up to everyone to decide on their own. But to me I sort of view the story as an example of the biggest cliche in gaming. A twist ending that doesn't work, a twist ending that does more damage than good, a twist ending that's not even needed at all... and flies in face of the facts presented in the story previously.

Again, there is no right answers... :) And it would be boring as hell if everyone liked the same things...

Anyhow, I gots go punch some villains in their collective faces... :D

Guess I'll give my two-cents on Dragon Age 2 since everybody else is. 

It wasn't a bad game IMO.  I think I would have liked it far more if it had come out first and DAO had been the "much anticipated sequel".  It was just such a let down by comparison.

And the regurgitation of the maps pissed me off in ways I can't describe.  It was unthinkable that a major studio like Bioware with a publisher the size of EA would do something so f#$%ing lazy.  I could see an indie developer reusing maps if they had, like, one guy making the game and he was trying to save time because he had to get back to his day job.  But for a company like Bioware doing that in a AAA caliber game?  It was absolutely shameful and, for me, left a huge stain on the game.  Maybe I take issue with something like that more than others.  I own two businesses and I am super service oriented.  If I did something that resulted in my clients looking at my product in that kind of light, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.  The laziness was just so blatant.

Also, I totally agree with INMATEofARKHAM about the plot twist in KotoR.  My jaw dropped when I played that game and that twist hit.  It was as shocking as hearing Vader tell Luke he was his daddy.  Hands down the best plot twist in gaming history.  That bitch dying in FFVII had nothing on that.  What was her name?  Aries?  Screw that jaggy-looking flower child.  KotoR FOREVER!

That's the best part of this... There is no right or wrong choices. Its whatever pulls you in and captures your imagination the most. :)

Just a quick notes since I really should be in Midtown right now... (Marvel Heroes has an awesome weekly even called Midtown Madness where the drop rates or much better than normal.. and so is the XP. And I need to get Venom to lvl 60!)
Only one Midtown Madness worth mentioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLfmFLRr4Kk

I'm not saying the story was bad, especially in the context of video games as a whole, but saying it's top five amongst all rpgs i just don't think is true. Heck, Bioware itself has multiple rpgs whose stories are more interesting/creative, like Kotor 1, ME1, Baldur's Gate. Add in games like the Witcher series, Planescape, early Fallout games, System Shock games, etc. People bash the Elder Scrolls for its story telling, but I personally think Morrowind was pretty good, much more creative than DAO. Obviously this is subjective, but I just don't think DAO is really all that close to the top in terms of story. If you want to say top five in terms of recent rpgs, maybe, but I don't think it's really close for all time.
re: Morrowind / DAO

They're very different styles of story telling and I think they both work in their own way. Morrowind was really excellent at world building, atmosphere, mood, lore, and the main plot was in my opinion the best of the Elder Scrolls series by far, but a lot of it was in the background in books and such or inferred. Much of it was really subtle and I suspect lost on many people.

Dragon Age the story is front and center and you can't really get away from it (well I guess in Inquisition you can run around the Hinterlands for 50 hours or so; they did inject a bit more ES in the latest chapter). Also I think Bioware always has its characters, the interactions with them, feeling of camaraderie with a team as one of its strong points. Characterization is kind of a weak point with Elder Scrolls. There's really only a couple of characters from Morrowind I remember like Therana and Crassius Curio and that's just because one was batshit insane and the other was a furry pervert.

Morrowind was about as far from generic as you can get while still having some roots in Tolkien fantasy, but they went and whitewashed the next game from what should have been Greco-Roman culture in a jungle environment to traditional Anglo-Saxon inspired fantasy with some token Roman architecture in the capitol.

And ES doesn't do choice and consequence at all. Their solution to when they did do it was to have a quantum event where all possibilities, including conflicting ones, happened at the same time. Admittedly though the whole choice and consequence thing is debatable anyway because the differences are largely token and no matter what they're always going to have to have the paths converge to about the same place anyway. That's just practicality and I get it.

The one thing you hit on though, "If you want to say top five in terms of recent rpgs", when I first played Dragon Age Origins I kept feeling like 'Nobody makes games like this anymore' and I actually got that same feeling from Inquisition too, which after reading from multiple sources (not just press either) that it was good I decided to go for it (well that and I had a bunch of Amazon credit saved up from Bing Rewards :p).

Recent Elder Scrolls in comparison? Well let me just say that I do like Skyrim, but for those of us who have been around for the series since early on it does feel like it's lost some of its roots (they just don't make things like the good old days *shakes cane*). It feels like a wordy console game. Like for most people it's just you run around a beat stuff up.

Giving the devil their due, Bioware with their latest Dragon Age I think for the most part was able to take back again some of the qualities and feel of RPGs of old to some extent (I'm not talking about combat because quite frankly I don't give much a shit about it so I'll let someone else argue that point) and they were able to work in some Elder Scrolls open world feel so I think they did a good job with it overall. That's why I don't feel bad about not cheaping out on it. That and

efJHlHW.png

Admittedly I'm way on the extreme end of playing time I think and I have done two play throughs doing most of the side stuff, stopping to smell the roses and all that jazz.

My concern though is that if Inquisition doesn't sell a ton more copies than Dragon Age 2 (and remember DA2 was on Steam at launch) that EA will look at it as why bother spending extra time effort and money when you can make about the same amount of sales cutting corners and half assing with a short development cycle.

I'm not sure EA will go for another game like this if it's not super mega uber blockbuster. And on the PC side, while I don't have much problem with it personally, forcing the mountain to come to Mohammed (Origin) is not helping. Plus we're all so damned spoiled with cheap prices that it seems outrageous to pay regular prices even for games we want and will play the hell out of.

/End MysterD-eque RPG rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back