Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, there wasn't even the traditional 'hey, here's me on Steam, go ahead and add me'. The lack of seasonal infestation also signifies that it wasn't just this single sale that was sub-par, but seemingly Steam as a whole lost a bit of it's push from years past. Though the latter could also be due to CAG itself showing some decline in the past year as well.

Huh, there wasn't even the traditional 'hey, here's me on Steam, go ahead and add me'. The lack of seasonal infestation also signifies that it wasn't just this single sale that was sub-par, but seemingly Steam as a whole lost a bit of it's push from years past. Though the latter could also be due to CAG itself showing some decline in the past year as well.
Maybe the unwashed masses were fooled by the insanely long Star Wars: Empire at War sale going on.

So all I bought was Detective Case and Clown-Bot, which was a whopping $2.50.

Also the Dark Souls 2 dlc not being on sale was the biggest pile of horseshit.

Did you miss the entire winter sale? Cuz that's what it sounds like..
only 349 more days till the next one, no excuses on missing the next holiday sale. I've given plenty of notice here

Yeah, usually my approach is just a judgment call. If i recognize you i'll give you the game.

Meh, everybody is new at some point. If you stick with it long enough (like even a month is long enough where people will start to recognize your name) you'll get plenty of free games. Besides...there's no way of telling which new users/low reps are "on the up and up" and which ones are just in it to take a free game and stay silent til another drop gets on the board. To me if you expect people to give you things you should be willing to stay around until people get to know you. Why should I give my games that I paid for to a stranger when there's a whole board of people who post everyday? Like I said above, I typically (depending on my mood) just give games to people I recognize, and have at times in the past noted in my drop that I reserve the right to not give you a game if I have no idea who you are or you just started posting like a day ago. I prefer using a judgment call to post limit because then you can include people who contribute and are recently active in the community but don't have 300 or 500 posts or whatever. Maybe its a bit of an ass way of doing it, but it's my game that I paid for. I'm not giving it to some stranger who plans on dropping in and out of threads to vulture things.
just dropped by to vulture some keys

For anyone who missed these from gala,

Deadbreed.

Racer 8.
gallery_338480_7901_38626.jpeg

what a douche

Fixed That For Him

Seriously dude, and you obviously lurk here, W T F?

As for the whole giving to regulars thing, I think there's a middle ground between requiring someone to have 500 posts and giving to any shifty yahoo who asks. Just ask that they have at least somewhat of a post history of contributing to the community in some way, preferably prior to 5 minutes ago.

I mean, it's not hard to check someone's post history and as long as they have some posts where they are asking or answering legitimate questions or making witty (or not so witty) remarks or whatever then fine. Basically anything that isn't asking for something free or utterly useless spam crap like "First".

Of course our friend Jflux here is an ahem, 'respected journalist', so I suppose even people who contribute can pull shenanigans.

Maybe it's because he seems to be a console person so he's all serious bidness on that side and doesn't care about fucking people over with shady shit on the PC side. Who knows?
found his baby picture

summers-eve-douche.jpg

A new year and a new giveaway contest. Funny entries will get a bundle fodder game and the grand prize will get three of them.

Reply to this line and tell me: What game in your Steam library best describes your last fart.

Rules: must be a thread regular with lots of posts or have the same avatar as me, must be right handed, if color blind must be of the tritanomaly variety, must own Bad Rats, must not own Lost Planet.
fuck, I'm ambidextrous

happy_new_year_2015_hight_quality.jpg

I'm not gonna say it's the reason but I did notice that people posted far less after I was forced by the mods to stop posting jiggly boob gifs. Not saying it was the fault just that there is some correlation involved.

No full edition for 2 and the DLC never goes on sale so don't get your hopes up for that.

For Origins Ultimate try not to pay more than $7.50, though I believe it's been as low as $5 if you don't need it on Steam. If you get it on Steam you can also in turn activate it to Origin and own in it both places like many EA games on Steam but that's optional. Owning it on Steam doesn't really make a difference other than having it with the bulk of the rest of your game collection but you can't get the other two games in the series on Steam anyway so eh.

DA2 I'd say go for it at $5 but no more. You can't buy it on Steam anymore so wherever you get it it will be an Origin code. If you want the DLC you will unfortunately need to deal with that Bioware points BS. Don't expect a deal. Ever.

You can consult ITAD for best pricing:

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:dragon%20age;/scroll:%23gamelist

About Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 - there is currently No Complete Edition for those. BioWare Points are what you need to buy to get any of the DLC's. Sorry, but BioWare + EA sells DLC at Premium. Only other place selling it is Amazon DVG - and they hardly have sales on it. :(

Future BioWare games won't use BioWare Points, though. Get the DLC on Origin. And likely, most BioWare games will require Origin - so those won't be on Steam.

If you buy DAO: Ultimate on Steam - then, you can take the game's "CD key" and ALSO activate that version on Origin. You probably should go Ultimate on DAO - since DAO is great; Awakening is quite good; and DLC's like the one about Shale is important (b/c it's a main part of the game and he's a good party member); and also both Leilana's Song + Witch Hunt DLC's are good.
Great feedback, thanks. I did not know about the DA 2 DLC issues. It's the same reason why I haven't touched the ME Trilogy at all. Sigh... I'll have to take a careful look at the DLC list and decide later on.

Did you miss the entire winter sale? Cuz that's what it sounds like..
only 349 more days till the next one, no excuses on missing the next holiday sale. I've given plenty of notice here

Yeah, usually my approach is just a judgment call. If i recognize you i'll give you the game.

Meh, everybody is new at some point. If you stick with it long enough (like even a month is long enough where people will start to recognize your name) you'll get plenty of free games. Besides...there's no way of telling which new users/low reps are "on the up and up" and which ones are just in it to take a free game and stay silent til another drop gets on the board. To me if you expect people to give you things you should be willing to stay around until people get to know you. Why should I give my games that I paid for to a stranger when there's a whole board of people who post everyday? Like I said above, I typically (depending on my mood) just give games to people I recognize, and have at times in the past noted in my drop that I reserve the right to not give you a game if I have no idea who you are or you just started posting like a day ago. I prefer using a judgment call to post limit because then you can include people who contribute and are recently active in the community but don't have 300 or 500 posts or whatever. Maybe its a bit of an ass way of doing it, but it's my game that I paid for. I'm not giving it to some stranger who plans on dropping in and out of threads to vulture things.
just dropped by to vulture some keys

For anyone who missed these from gala,

Deadbreed.

Racer 8.
gallery_338480_7901_38626.jpeg

what a douche

Fixed That For Him

Seriously dude, and you obviously lurk here, W T F?

As for the whole giving to regulars thing, I think there's a middle ground between requiring someone to have 500 posts and giving to any shifty yahoo who asks. Just ask that they have at least somewhat of a post history of contributing to the community in some way, preferably prior to 5 minutes ago.

I mean, it's not hard to check someone's post history and as long as they have some posts where they are asking or answering legitimate questions or making witty (or not so witty) remarks or whatever then fine. Basically anything that isn't asking for something free or utterly useless spam crap like "First".

Of course our friend Jflux here is an ahem, 'respected journalist', so I suppose even people who contribute can pull shenanigans.

Maybe it's because he seems to be a console person so he's all serious bidness on that side and doesn't care about fucking people over with shady shit on the PC side. Who knows?
found his baby picture

summers-eve-douche.jpg

A new year and a new giveaway contest. Funny entries will get a bundle fodder game and the grand prize will get three of them.

Reply to this line and tell me: What game in your Steam library best describes your last fart.

Rules: must be a thread regular with lots of posts or have the same avatar as me, must be right handed, if color blind must be of the tritanomaly variety, must own Bad Rats, must not own Lost Planet.
fuck, I'm ambidextrous

happy_new_year_2015_hight_quality.jpg

also don't forget to bet your life savings on the Cubs to win the World Series this year

bttf2.jpg

Also New Year Giveaway open to Freques(Regulars) and Seasonals. Newbs and jflux look the other way:

A New Beginning - Final Cut
Borealis
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising Origin Key
Gun Metal
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Little Inferno
Mechanic Escape
One Finger Death Punch
Penguins Arena: Sedna's World
Sang-froid - Tales of Werewolves
Toki Tori 2+
White Noise Online
Worms Blast
Worms Crazy Golf
Worms Pinball
I'll take One Finger Death Punch if you still have it! Thanks for the giveaway.

I figure it would take me 35 to 40 hours to download FF13. That's if everything went perfectly and I didn't use even one drop of extra bandwidth for anything else.

I have 3mbps internet. I only get somewhere between 2.6 and 2.8 though. The best I can get unless they ever move one of their stations/boxes closer to me. I'm maybe a thousand feet too far away to get 6mbps. I'm lucky to have 3 since I live out in the sticks.

We can't all live in the city where 50 mbps rains down like manna from heaven. :) Kind of a moot point though I guess since I have zero interest in living anywhere near a city.
Great, even the toaster has faster internet than me. Maybe my New Years Resolution should be to snuff it...

6 Mbps... and no hope of better since I'm behind an RT (because I'm a little too far from the CO... despite the fact that I live along a main road/railroad tracks... Clearly I live too far out in the sticks... 3 miles from Facebook and Stanford.

OMG, I live in the sticks and only have 1.5Mbit. ... I have no idea how long this would take me to download. New Years Resolution (for me)... find better internet!

I'd be taking days and days.

I don't live in an actual town.. just in a county somewhere... and I still want to be further away from people. :wave:

I feel your pain, 6 Mbps DSL here. I keep hoping that Google will decide to wire my area with 1 Gbps internet on a whim, even if it is only a fool's hope.

Time for a year end colon spreadsheet cleansing. I'm pretty sure these are all good, but it's possible some used ones snuck in there. Let me know which one you want and I'll PM it over. To help prevent the jflux effect you need to have at least 300 posts.

8BitBoy

A New Beginning

Avencast: Rise of the Mage

Blades of Time - Limited Edition

Coldfire Keep

C-Rush

C-Rush

Deep Eclipse: New Space Odyssey

EvilQuest

Galaxy on Fire 2

Kingdom Elemental

Muffin Knight

Penguins Arena

Realms of the Haunting

Return to Mysterious Island 2

Soulbringer

Space Hack

Space Trader: Merchant Marine

Star Ruler

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

Thief Gold

Thomas Was Alone
Malkan made my backlog explode thanks again.

Great feedback, thanks. I did not know about the DA 2 DLC issues. It's the same reason why I haven't touched the ME Trilogy at all. Sigh... I'll have to take a careful look at the DLC list and decide later on.
I'm probably not the best person to give my opinion on it because I really don't like Dragon Age 2 as a whole, but I don't think its DLC is any great shakes. The one is basically Felicia Day cosplay fan service and the other is pretty much 'Oops we let some evil guy out. But we killed him. Or did we? *drama prairie dog head turn*'

Neither of them is anywhere near as extensive as Awakenings for Origins (which thankfully does come with the Ultimate Edition) that is a full blown expansion with a new campaign, locations, characters etc. and about 30 hours worth of play.

I mean the DA2 Legacy DLC does tie into Inquisition but you can get the jist by Youtubing it and it's really no shakespearean epic. Plus in Inquisition you get plenty of expository dialog about the main event in Legacy just in case you missed it.

You still should NOT deprive yourself of the ME series just b/c of BioWare's DLC shenanigans. You will get at least somewhere b/t 30-50 hours out of each Mass Effect iteration's base-game (per play-through), depending on how much you decide to do.

If ME Trilogy is ever $7.50 or less on Gamersgate or anywhere else for that matter, which is what ITAD says is its cheapest - don't hesitate to take it. It's a fantastic series.

Just - yeah, ME3 base-game's last 10-20 minutes bloody suck, IMHO. While that part at the end of ME3 does disappoint, the other 100+ hours you'll spend w/ the rest of the series is fantastic + a steal at any sort of cheap-pricing for such a fantastic journey.

I do not have the Premium DA2 DLC's, ME2 DLC's, and ME3 DLC's - and I'm still glad I played all of 3 of those base-games. I just wish that DA2 could've been better than it actually turned out, though...

You still should NOT deprive yourself of the ME series just b/c of BioWare's DLC shenanigans. You will get at least somewhere b/t 30-50 hours out of each Mass Effect iteration's base-game, depending on how much you decide to do.

If ME Trilogy is ever $7.50 on Gamersgate or less, which is what ITAD says is its cheapest - don't hesitate to take it. It's a fantastic series.

Just - yeah, ME3 base-game's last 10-20 minutes bloody suck, IMHO. While that part at the end of ME3 does disappoint, the other 100+ hours you'll spend w/ the rest of the series is fantastic + a steal at any sort of cheap-pricing for such a fantastic journey.

I do not have the Premium DA2 DLC's, ME2 DLC's, and ME3 DLC's - and I'm still glad I played all of 3 of those. I just wish that DA2 could've been better than it actually turned out, though...
I agree with this, the atmosphere and the whole series of ME was still fun even if it was disappointing in the end. The DLCs are good but the base games are still great without them. But, if you have a console I would just play it there, the DLC is worth it because they come on sale for the consoles all the time.

OR: They'll probably release a "definitive" edition of the trilogy for PS4/XBONE, and then hopefully it'll come to PC complete with all DLC. It'll still be expensive for a while though.

I agree with this, the atmosphere and the whole series of ME was still fun even if it was disappointing in the end. The DLCs are good but the base games are still great without them. But, if you have a console I would just play it there, the DLC is worth it because they come on sale for the consoles all the time.

OR: They'll probably release a "definitive" edition of the trilogy for PS4/XBONE, and then hopefully it'll come to PC complete with all DLC. It'll still be expensive for a while though.
Oh, I'd love for a Definitive Edition of the ME Trilogy w/ every single-solitary DLC. Even if it's expensive in the beginning, at least it's here. That way, when it's cheap enough to suit me - I'd certainly be all over that.

Same goes for a Dragon Age 2 Definitive Ed, as well.

Are the prices today as low as they'll be for this sale? I'm not sure how these sales work. I want a few games including Banished but I missed the lowest price. Should I pick them up now?

Are the prices today as low as they'll be for this sale? I'm not sure how these sales work. I want a few games including Banished but I missed the lowest price. Should I pick them up now?
In the past that generally used to be the case except for new releases. Right now it's not so clear anymore. The sales have gotten lesser than what they used to be. Generally 75% off is the rock bottom price, but lately it seems like some have been pushing for that to be 66% off, and then there are exceptions on the other end too. And bundles.

As for Banished, it's out of Early Access now so there's that. I suppose if you count the full release date then it's still a new release of sorts, meaning the (*Edit: I guess it never was Early Access. So many games are it's blurring my memory :p) price should go down further eventually. Also it has been lower before. Isthereanydeal.com shows the low price to date was $5.99 at the Humble Store at one point. (which the Enhanced Steam plugin shows handily on the steam store page).

8YlgtRj.png

TL;DR - It will almost certainly get to $5 at some point and possibly also get bundled. If you aren't going to play it right away then wait.

My holiday haul, excluding bundles:

Steam:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bionic Commando Dual Pack
Defense Grid
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Ridge Racer Unbounded + DLC
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Nuuvem:
Castlevania LOS: Mirror of Fate

Funstock:
Rocksmith 2014

Gifts:
Shadowrun Returns

It actually ended up being not a terrible sale for me; grabbed a number of titles I won't play at nice prices and a few I might actually take a look at.  However, my wishlist actually grew during the sale from around 30 to 46 titles, I only knocked three titles off of it, and two of those were non-Steam purchases, and I started the sale with about $50 Steam wallet and ended with $23 and a lot of unsold cards.  So that pretty much says it all there.  I would have grabbed a lot more if we still had Russian traders.

Big shoutout to djbooba for the totally unexpected and very much welcome gift.

My massive haul from the worst sale ever:

MMX: Legacy

Dungeon Derpfenders Eternity (since I never bought the DLC to the original and it was essentially the same price)

DDE stands a great chance of being bundled in the future but I'm getting bored of Dark Souls and need to put something in my 'to play' queue.  Other stuff was either potential bundle fodder, early access stuff at mediocre discounts, or AAA games with laughable 50% off or less discounts I'd expect from midweek/weekend deals.

Hoping this upcoming Sunday Humble offers a few decent titles... probably even Prison Architect~

Hoping this upcoming Sunday Humble offers a few decent titles... probably even Prison Architect~
I remember when Prison Architect was in the 10 dollar tier of that Humble Bundle and I was like "eh, I'll get it its another 3 bucks or so" and you were all "eewwwwww it's early access ewwwwwww"

direct quotes

what changed mooby

WHAT'S HAPPENED TO YOU

In the past that generally used to be the case except for new releases. Right now it's not so clear anymore. The sales have gotten lesser than what they used to be. Generally 75% off is the rock bottom price, but lately it seems like some have been pushing for that to be 66% off, and then there are exceptions on the other end too. And bundles.

As for Banished, it's out of Early Access now so there's that. I suppose if you count the full release date then it's still a new release of sorts, meaning the (*Edit: I guess it never was Early Access. So many games are it's blurring my memory :p) price should go down further eventually. Also it has been lower before. Isthereanydeal.com shows the low price to date was $5.99 at the Humble Store at one point. (which the Enhanced Steam plugin shows handily on the steam store page).

8YlgtRj.png

TL;DR - It will almost certainly get to $5 at some point and possibly also get bundled. If you aren't going to play it right away then wait.
Awesome, thank you!

Should I wait on Jade Empire or should I buy it now? It never goes on sale.... :p
Or like that one Steam sale where it went on sale the very first time and people raved and bought it (me too). Then, the next daily deal post sale, it was on sale for a larger percentage. Like it was a daily encore and then boom, cheaper the next day.

Or like that one Steam sale where it went on sale the very first time and people raved and bought it (me too). Then, the next daily deal post sale, it was on sale for a larger percentage. Like it was a daily encore and then boom, cheaper the next day.
That next day was the day I bought it. So glorious!

Should I wait on Jade Empire or should I buy it now? It never goes on sale.... :p
Just know that to get the Steam-version working - it could take a song, dance, and a spin on your head sideways to maybe get going, especially on newer OS's (Win 7 + 8).

Here's some info on how to fix its launcher issues:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jade_Empire#Issues_fixed

It's really something that should be fixed on Steam-version, especially since GOG-version does NOT have any of these issues.

This is what I was referring to an apparently it went over quite a few heads :) Maybe it's just funny to me.

Once again I ended up spending more on gifts for others than purchasing for myself, and not because I'm particularly charitable—it was reciprocal obligation. And that's really the only way a CAG can get away with buying a $16 piece of DLC without vomiting.

Instead of a haul post, here's a yearly backlog(-gery.com) recap:

303c71dbd4.png

What's the opposite of progess again?

Bioshock!

Auction: Oddworld: Munch's Odysseye, The Wonderful End of the World

Steam Sale: Super Time Force Ultra, Super Meat Boy (gifted), Agarest, Premium (gifted back for SMB).

+some spodering and an IG bundle to boot.

Everything card money/based in backgrounds and stuff I had. I concur with everyone, least exciting sale yet! But could have taken advantage of auctions a lot more. That was a pretty cool idea on Valve's part. 

Worms Blast (I may have an intestinal issue)

First off, I got the joke that Ikeda was making that went woosh over everyone else's heads, probably because I bought it then. :bomb:

Just know that to get the Steam-version working - it could take a song, dance, and a spin on your head sideways to maybe get going, especially on newer OS's (Win 7 + 8).

Here's some info on how to fix its launcher issues:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jade_Empire#Issues_fixed

It's really something that should be fixed on Steam-version, especially since GOG-version does NOT have any of these issues.
As I said the last several times you played the broken record, that isn't necessarily the case.

Instead of repeating DRMfreeist propaganda for a game you don't own on Steam why don't you buy it or just shut the hell up and let the people who actually own it there and have played the Steam version talk?

Because I do own it on Steam and after you and a couple of others were going on and on about hearsay how the GOG version will make you rich and beautiful while the Steam version gives you cancer, I went and installed the damned thing on Windows 8 and played it and it worked. I didn't have to do a damned thing to it. It just worked.

Even in cases where some older games have some problems with newer versions of Windows it's really not as Sky-Is-Falling as you make it sound. In pretty much every case after a couple of minutes of searching the Steam forum or Google I found a simple solution like use compatibility mode or make a minor edit to an ini text file or something like that which is hardly spinning on your head sideways or whatever NOT FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE you are spouting. But in the case of Jade Empire, I didn't even have to do that.

And there's some GOG games that have issues too but no one ever wants to talk about that because the DRM Free Illuminati always cover for their ass and for CD Projekt too.

Just buy games where the hell you want and don't listen to people who heard from their friend's sister's aunt's cousin's dog's proctologist about it.

First off, I got the joke that Ikeda was making that went woosh over everyone else's heads, probably because I bought it then. :bomb:

As I said the last several times you played the broken record, that isn't necessarily the case.

Instead of repeating DRMfreeist propaganda for a game you don't own on Steam why don't you buy it or just shut the hell up and let the people who actually own it there and have played the Steam version talk?

Because I do own it on Steam and after you and a couple of others were going on and on about hearsay how the GOG version will make you rich and beautiful while the Steam version gives you cancer, I went and installed the damned thing on Windows 8 and played it and it worked. I didn't have to do a damned thing to it. It just worked.

Even in cases where some older games have some problems with newer versions of Windows it's really not as Sky-Is-Falling as you make it sound. In pretty much every case after a couple of minutes of searching the Steam forum or Google I found a simple solution like use compatibility mode or make a minor edit to an ini text file or something like that which is hardly spinning on your head sideways or whatever NOT FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE you are spouting. But in the case of Jade Empire, I didn't even have to do that.

And there's some GOG games that have issues too but no one ever wants to talk about that because the DRM Free Illuminati always cover for their ass and for CD Projekt too.

Just buy games where the hell you want and don't listen to people who heard from their friend's sister's aunt's cousin's dog's proctologist about it.
Jade Empire on Steam cured cancer and got me laid

the GOG version turned me european and gave me false positives on Norton

Now that there are tons of Nuclear Throne copies out there for cheap, go and buy it now! I like it better than Isaac, dont hate.

tumblr_nbm3i5lnCn1tpvwyho1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back