Steam Weekend Deal: $5 Universe at War

it's not spectacular but it's a good play through. the different races aren't completely out there but it's good.

$5 is a good price!

Its ok, I picked this up for 5$ retail at Ollies Bargain outlet about 8 months ago. A sadly forgettable RTS but a good start for the Petroglyph boys (aka westwood studios!)

How's the *SINGLE* player on it? I kind of think this was the game with a really lame single player, like not even any bases or resources or something in single player? That's the part I like best, so....

And does the retail game have activation? Does this one have any DRM BESIDES Steam?

I tried the demo for this on the 360, and thought it was unplayable...but that's 'cause of the game pad so I might like this fine.

Obviously for $5 I'm thinking about it... (And that Defense Grid...dang, Valve actually has ME buying stuff from them! :whistle2:D )

[quote name='RoboPhish']Its ok, I picked this up for 5$ retail at Ollies Bargain outlet about 8 months ago. A sadly forgettable RTS but a good start for the Petroglyph boys (aka westwood studios!)[/QUOTE]

I actually hated their Star Wars game that came out before this though :whistle2:( Soooo not sure if this is for me.

Im going to bite. My steam account iis so backlogged, I havent touched Lost Planet or Tomb Raider from the $5 sales.

this deal actually sucks comparative to some of their others. Universe @ War has been less than $10 off sites like Amazon for months.

Hmm...yeah, I see it's $8 on Amazon, and I *guess* it just has a disc check version activation on this version.

I'm not sure about the game itself though...

Heh, it's been $6 at Big Lots for months. Passed it up several times already.

At least I got Defense Grid for $5

Tryed the game and when compaired to most other RTS's its horrid and unplayable.. my big gripe was a VERY limited zoom feature.

[quote name='qwerty1']this deal actually sucks comparative to some of their others. Universe @ War has been less than $10 off sites like Amazon for months.[/quote]

$8 plus you have to pay shipping and tax so how is $5 not a great deal for this game?

can anyone confirm how a GFW game works with steam? Do you still sign onto xbox live? Do you get xbl achievements through the steam version?

[quote name='guyver2077']can anyone confirm how a GFW game works with steam? Do you still sign onto xbox live? Do you get xbl achievements through the steam version?[/quote]

If it's anything like Fallout 3(which used GFW), it installs the GFW UI, then in order to go online with the game(for F3, it was achievements, I assume its achieves + multiplayer for this game), you have to input the CD-key, then log in to the UI. The game creates a profile linked to that account so you earn achievements and show up on the service(if you so choose).

[quote name='Shimrra']$8 plus you have to pay shipping and tax so how is $5 not a great deal for this game?[/QUOTE]

Shipping and tax for some people. He's not saying its not a deal, just that it's not as mind blowing as it might first look.

Not a bad game, but when I got it 6+ months ago, I couldnt find a match online at all. I doubt its gotten much better. Singleplayer was ok, but not great.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Hmm...think i'm going to pass on this one. I already have enough RTS games in my backlog and I'm broke as it is.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, I still have C&C3 and Supreme Comander in my backlog. Anytime I have a RTS in my backlog I know it will sit there since I really need a big window of time before I play it.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I usually do not like RTS games, but I really enjoyed Universe at War. One of the few RTS games I've ever managed to play the entire campaign all the way through on. I liked it a lot more than Supreme Commander.
The graphics are very good, the factions are diverse, and the walkers are an absolute blast to play with. The limited zoom does suck, yeah, but if you can get past that the gameplay is awesome.
I do admit that I hated the storyline. Too camp for the art direction. Also the community is probably long since gone so I wouldn't expect to get much out of the online portion.

Still, well worth $5 for single player imho.

[quote name='nexen']Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I usually do not like RTS games, but I really enjoyed Universe at War. One of the few RTS games I've ever managed to play the entire campaign all the way through on. I liked it a lot more than Supreme Commander.
The graphics are very good, the factions are diverse, and the walkers are an absolute blast to play with. The limited zoom does suck, yeah, but if you can get past that the gameplay is awesome.
I do admit that I hated the storyline. Too camp for the art direction. Also the community is probably long since gone so I wouldn't expect to get much out of the online portion.

Still, well worth $5 for single player imho.[/QUOTE]

Cool, well single player's what I care about, so I think I'll pick it up (except I think I'll get the Amazon version for $2 more since someone pointed that out).

purchased and installed..

everytime i launch though i get an error message that says "Games for windows live failed to initialize and game will start in offlne mode" or w.e

wtf

[quote name='guyver2077']purchased and installed..

everytime i launch though i get an error message that says "Games for windows live failed to initialize and game will start in offlne mode" or w.e

wtf[/quote]

I'm having the same freakin' problem...

Let me know if you get GFW working! I need mah Achievements for playing the story mode. :bouncy:

Do you have to like install Games for Windows first or separately or something? I think the universe may explode from using both simultaneously :D Maybe they can throw in Securom too :lol:

I tried this on the 360, and as is the case with most RTS games on consoles, it was like trying to nail jello to a wall. Might have to finally get this on the PC.

The Xbox demo was unplayable for me at least. I went ahead and got it along with Grid Defense.

I have had nothing but problems with this purchase so far. First the game wouldn't start, turns out I had to go in and disable DX10 with being able to get in the game. Now I can get in the game but when I try to sign into Live it tells me I must be trying to use a LIVE account from a different region and it doesn't sign me in. UGH!

[quote name='Shimrra']$8 plus you have to pay shipping and tax so how is $5 not a great deal for this game?[/quote]

For a weekend deal its on the weak side. I think tax on Amazon is only for residents of NY, i'd be surprised if Steam didnt charge tax for the same law but they do charge sales tax for residents of WA, and i've seen it go as low as 7. Its a filler item. Not to mention the boat load of sellers who have it for five and change shipped through Amazon. New of course.

If this game was $8 on Steam 24/7 and as a weekend deal they knocked $3 off you'd consider that a great deal? If so we have different definitions of the term.

I always get this and Supreme Commander mixed up, then I remember that SC is the better one.

Still a decent deal if you're hungering for some RTS besides DoW2 and don't want to wait for SC2.

I watch enough movies that if I can get a good hour out of a game that costs $5, I don't feel ripped off. If I can get more than a couple hours for $5, it's a great deal. So for me, this is a great deal. Probably picking this up with Plants vs Zombies tomorrow.

[quote name='jonac13']I watch enough movies that if I can get a good hour out of a game that costs $5, I don't feel ripped off. If I can get more than a couple hours for $5, it's a great deal. So for me, this is a great deal. Probably picking this up with Plants vs Zombies tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't judge things by price or whatnot, I judge it by how much time it'll keep me going for.

Doesn't mean I don't hunt for the lowest price though and it seems I found it via Steam. I guess it's a purchase then :D

Well I bought it, it would take an absolute turd to shy me away from a $5 game. But this one looks like it's atleast $5 worth of fun.

[quote name='guyver2077']purchased and installed..

wtf[/quote]

If you're having trouble with GfW, use the installer from the Games for Windows site.

Ok, now that we've got that GfW thing out of the way, another thing to note with this is that it doesn't seem to work at all with Nvidia 3D Vision. Which is too bad for an RTS that is fairly recent.

And remember this is a cross-platform title. So you can play against console guys. My son has played it a lot more than me (I really haven't gotten much past the tutorials), and he found lots of console guys to play against within the last few months.

There was also a cool article about this game in the old GfW print magazine that I really want to find again and I can't find. Does anybody know what issue that was in? It was one of those articles they had where they played against each other and described their strategies. I know zombies were involved. . .

I've already bought 2 cheap boxed copies of this game, but I'd rather have the Steam version. . .but I don't know if I can spend another $5 on it.

Do you guys know if Steam updates this automatically? It said I needed and update so I did it manually. but I think I used the wrong patches because after I got done it made the game unplayable and it would crash.

Or someone can link me to the patches I do need.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Do you guys know if Steam updates this automatically? It said I needed and update so I did it manually. but I think I used the wrong patches because after I got done it made the game unplayable and it would crash.

Or someone can link me to the patches I do need.[/QUOTE]

You have to update it through GFWL.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You have to update it through GFWL.[/quote]

I have it updated now. I had to go through so many hoops to get it working, I dont even know what ended up getting to work >.>

It's working good now though.

bread's done
Back