Steam Weekend Deals - $2 Freedom Force Pack/$ 2 X-Com Pack/Tropico 3 66% Off

Liveforlaughs76

CAGiversary!
Really a must buy if you haven't played either of these franchises. Rebel FM Game Club is also doing FF: The Third Reich if you're looking to play along like me. Tropico 3 is $13.60

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3384/

spotlight_freedomforce.jpg
spotlight_xcom.jpg
tropico3wed_spotlight.jpg

Like comic books? Like Aliens? Like autocracy?

The Freedom Force Pack $2.00.
X-Com Complete $2.00
Tropico 3 $13.60

Metacritic:
Freedom Force (90)
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich (86)
X-Com: Enforcer (65)
Tropico 3 (79)

Mobygames:
X-Com: UFO Defense (4/5)
X-Com: Terror from the Deep (82)
X-Com: Apocalypse (88)
X-Com: Interceptor (76)

Demos:
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
X-Com: UFO Defense
X-Com: Terror from the Deep
X-Com: Apocalypse
X-Com: Interceptor
X-Com: Enforcer
Tropico 3

Last edited by a moderator:
X-Com is an absolute steal at that price. Holy crap. Keep in mind the first 2 are better than the latter 3, but at 2 dollars... my god. I'm not sure you can't NOT buy it at that price.

[quote name='darthballz']Freedom Force pack for me.[/QUOTE]

do the games have a coop mode over LAN/or online? Os is the mutiplayer just some kind of versus?

Not sure on the multiplayer question, but if it had co-op you would need to copies and two steam accounts.

In for all 3. I'm pushing about 160 games on steam now.

Edit: passed on X-com pack. Didn't interest me and looks like it didn't age well.

[quote name='Metalic']Someone convince me to buy X-com. I want to buy it but i dunno. I have a big backlog already but $2...

I just picked up the FF pack, Just unsure on X-com.[/QUOTE]

X-Com was the reason I signed up for steam. I remember many many nights playing this game. It is still very addictive and aged OK.

If nothing else, the knowledge that you can play this classic, or just load it up for kicks/cred or whatever must worth atleast the price of a big gulp or something...

I bought the X-Com pack mid-last year when it was on sale for $4.99, I think, and I thought THAT was a great deal.

You are stupid if you don't pick it up for $2 ... skip the Big Mac and buy this.

The only thing stopping me from buying Xcom and trying it out is how it runs on modern systems.

Edit-I'm wondering how it runs on modern systems, so if someone could share some insight on that.

[quote name='Tony208']For games as cheap as these, don't think, just buy. It's $2.[/QUOTE]

:) I love it when people say things like this.

I just bought the Freedom Force pack. I'm new to PC gaming this year so I'm excited to play some of the classics of yesteryear. Hopefully STEAM continues these awesome sales!

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']The only thing stopping me from buying Xcom and trying it out is how it runs on modern systems.

Edit-I'm wondering how it runs on modern systems, so if someone could share some insight on that.[/QUOTE]

I bought the pack last year when it went for $5. I only played the original Xcom but it ran fine under Vista x64. It's a DOS game and it comes bundled with DOSBox setup to run the game. I believe the newer games might have been Windows games, but I'm not sure how they run.

I think I'll just pick up the Freedom Force pack, since X Com looks REALLY old. Not to say that something old can't be fun and interesting, but I don't think I would ever play it over my backlog of cheap Steam games containing Overlord, KotOR, Psychonauts and now the Freedom Force games (although my laptop can't handle the 2nd one, but I'll give it a shot if I ever beat the first one). Plus I have several disc PC games. And I don't play games on my cheap little laptop that I have very often anyways.

I've wanted to check out Irrational Games pre-Bioshock games, so I'm glad that I can get them for so cheap. On that same note, I know Ken Levine is a huge fan of the X COM games and a sequel might be Irrational's next project, so maybe I will grab both of the $2 packs.

Freedom Force is fantastic, and worth every penny of the $2. You're getting a strategy RPG with original characters (well, at least as original as comic book archetypes get), fantastic voice acting and cut-scenes, and a game that's just a joy to play. Times two, because you get the sequel too.

And you guys get it for $1.34 cheaper than I did during the holiday sale. :lol:

I'm not sure on XCOM. I've never played the series, but it'd run just dandy on my netbook and for $2... :whistle2:k

[quote name='BlueScrote']Any word on how FF 1/2 work on Windows 7 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

They both play fine on my friend's computer.

I'll be grabbing both later tonight after I hit the pub. Dunno about Tropico 3, I've played the crap out of the others but I've been leaning on getting this one for the 360

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Freedom Force is fantastic, and worth every penny of the $2. You're getting a strategy RPG with original characters (well, at least as original as comic book archetypes get), fantastic voice acting and cut-scenes, and a game that's just a joy to play. Times two, because you get the sequel too.

And you guys get it for $1.34 cheaper than I did during the holiday sale. :lol:

I'm not sure on XCOM. I've never played the series, but it'd run just dandy on my netbook and for $2... [/QUOTE]
Dude it's 2 bucks, only hobos should think twice if they're spending that amount of dough.

Hobos < CAGs (or Hobos = Cags):whistle2:k

If you guys that like strategy/tactical games don't get XCOM for $2 you are INSANE. The original is by far one of the best PC games of all time. The graphics are certainly nowhere near modern, but the style, charm, and pure fun gameplay of hunting aliens, and then researching their technology and using it against them is pure, addicting, "one more turn" gaming CRACK.

I'm in, even though I've got multiple copies already but Steam is just too convenient, and well, [size=+2]it's TWO FREAKIN' DOLLARS people!!! [/size]

Yea for $2 you must pick up x-com. One of the greatest games of all time. I played the crap out of it in DOS back in the day. I spent plenty of times debating on "just one more turn" and ended up playing 2 or 3 more missions after that one turn! :D

I still remember gearing up all my noob soldiers and stepping off the dropship for the first time just to hear a plasma shot ring out and cut down the first man off the ship. :cry: Then ultimately turning the tide by capturing and researching the aliens and their technology. Just a ton of fun.

Pick it up and spend some time with it, you will see the roots of squad based tactical combat and see how all the great games of the genre have just built on what X-Com originally perfected.

[quote name='flix1']

You are stupid if you don't pick it up for $2 ... skip the Big Mac and buy this.[/QUOTE]

Big Mac's cost more ;)

i'm in for both FF and XCom, $4 is the change i have in bowl around here. Even if XCom looks ugly, always down to have an extra game (or 5) in case i'm super bored one of these days

Just had to sign up for steam to get X-Com I've never played it on PC just PS1. Hopefully I have better luck with beating it than I did over 10 years ago. Have all ready owned Freedom Force before or I would have picked it up also.

X-Com is a steal. FF probably too (though never played). Will probably have to get Tropico as well (given political background). Damn you Steam!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You know this thread was made first, right? Says 12:26 PM in this OP and 12:28 PM in the other thread.[/QUOTE]

haha, nope. other one was the one that was up here and had more responses :cry:

Who cares which thread was first, XCOM deserves both threads, so I'll repost what I said in the other thread--

If you guys that like strategy/tactical games don't get XCOM for $2 you are INSANE. The original is by far one of the best PC games of all time. The graphics are certainly nowhere near modern, but the style, charm, and pure fun gameplay of hunting aliens, and then researching their technology and using it against them is pure, addicting, "one more turn" gaming CRACK.

I'm in, even though I've got multiple copies already but Steam is just too convenient, and well, [size=+2]it's TWO FREAKIN' DOLLARS people!!! [/size]

For the uninitiated, when people are talking about X-COM, they mean the original game (and Terror from the Deep, which is basically the same thing, but harder). I suspect that Enforcer and Interceptor didn't age nearly as well (plus they weren't liked that much even when they came out).

I bought X-Com Apocalypse a long, long time ago for some reason. I think I returned it though, but I don't have it anymore. I think I only played 1 mission, and I think I got lost in the controls. I had my doubts about getting it on Steam because I doubt I'll actually play it, but just for some weird sense of collection and "nostalgia," I think I will.

Picked up the X-COM pack. I have the CD-ROM version of Terror from the Deep somewhere, but $2 for 5 games make it a pretty easy re-buy. I just hope this time around I'll do better than when I first bought it. Game was fucking hard! And the screaming civilians in the dark scared the heck outta me!

Has anyone played Apocaylpse? It looks like it is pretty similar to the first two games which would be nice since I haven't played that one. Considering I've never heard much about it though, I doubt it's near as good. Either way I'm still buying the set. I damn near bought the first one last week.

I just asked this on the other thread but thought someone might know on this one too.

How is Apocalypse? No one ever mentions it and it looks like it would play a lot like the first two, at least with the pictures they have up.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and say that unless you're buying from a basis of nostalgia, Xcom isn't worth picking up ... it's simply wayyy too dated and definitely an example of old school PC games ... you know, before it was cool to be a PC gamer ;)

Freedom Force is a bit more modern and worth the $2 but X-Com ... sorry guys, I just booted Terror from the Deep for 2 minutes and I had no idea wtf was going on or how to play it after having been away from the franchise for years ... these have not aged well.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and say that unless you're buying from a basis of nostalgia, Xcom isn't worth picking up ... it's simply wayyy too dated and definitely an example of old school PC games ... you know, before it was cool to be a PC gamer ;)

Freedom Force is a bit more modern and worth the $2 but X-Com ... sorry guys, I just booted Terror from the Deep for 2 minutes and I had no idea wtf was going on or how to play it after having been away from the franchise for years ... these have not aged well.[/QUOTE]

I still play through one of the two at least once every couple years. I never have trouble getting back into it.

[quote name='etcrane']...sorry guys, I just booted Terror from the Deep for 2 minutes and I had no idea wtf was going on or how to play it after having been away from the franchise for years ... these have not aged well.[/QUOTE]Perhaps it may be too hasty forming an opinion after playing the game for only 2 minutes, presumably without having reread the instructions for such a deep game. The first two X-com games require a good amount of time to get into.

[quote name='etcrane'] ... sorry guys, I just booted Terror from the Deep for 2 minutes and I had no idea wtf was going on or how to play it after having been away from the franchise for years ... these have not aged well.[/QUOTE]

LOL...gave it 2 minutes and gave up!...Sadly, this is the reason most modern gamers won't let themselves experience one of the best computer games of all time...

How is Apocalypse? No one ever mentions it and it looks like it would play a lot like the first two, at least with the pictures they have up.

It's not nearly as good as the first two, but it's not terrible either.

Online digital distribution has really taken off with these sales.

Think about it. This week alone, you can get Sam and Max Season 1, 5 X-Com games, and Freedom Force...for less than $10.

Insane in the membrane.

[quote name='Thrinn']Perhaps it may be too hasty forming an opinion after playing the game for only 2 minutes, presumably without having reread the instructions for such a deep game. The first two X-com games require a good amount of time to get into.[/QUOTE]

I said booted it up tonight and played 2 minutes, I've played the games before ... you know, back in the day when they were considered modern. For their time, they were awesome ... but gaming has evolved and these games have not aged well by any means. A game like Super Mario Brothers is an example of a game that has aged well because it's simplistic and fun to pick up and play. Unfortunately, most games that are complex and rely on being able to read through a manual to get started, simply don't age as well over time.

Take for instance the original Civilization ... do many of you still boot that up? Hell, even Civilization II ... great for their times but not so great compared to what we have today. The fundamental style of gameplay in these types of games has evolved ... I would definitely pick up a copy of X-com if it were remade with better graphics and some of the gameplay elements were slightly updated, but as it stands they are simply games which benefit heavily from nostalgia and the whole "I remember I played this when" factor rather than being compelling to new audiences.

Hell, I'm a huge fan of Fallout and Deus Ex, but even those games are tough to invest time in when you boot them up and realize that your ruby colored glasses and memory don't quite reflect what is presented on the screen. For $2 these are worth picking up for anyone with a fond memory of X-com, but as a person who can't spend every moment gaming, I don't have the time to take the nostalgic time-warp back which is required to invest in and play these types of games. With all the love these 2 game packs are getting, I'm simply presenting an alternative perspective before people drop their $2.

[quote name='etcrane']I said booted it up tonight and played 2 minutes, I've played the games before ... you know, back in the day when they were considered modern. For their time, they were awesome ... but gaming has evolved and these games have not aged well by any means. A game like Super Mario Brothers is an example of a game that has aged well because it's simplistic and fun to pick up and play. Unfortunately, most games that are complex and rely on being able to read through a manual to get started, simply don't age as well over time.

Take for instance the original Civilization ... do many of you still boot that up? Hell, even Civilization II ... great for their times but not so great compared to what we have today. The fundamental style of gameplay in these types of games has evolved ... I would definitely pick up a copy of X-com if it were remade with better graphics and some of the gameplay elements were slightly updated, but as it stands they are simply games which benefit heavily from nostalgia and the whole "I remember I played this when" factor rather than being compelling to new audiences.

Hell, I'm a huge fan of Fallout and Deus Ex, but even those games are tough to invest time in when you boot them up and realize that your ruby colored glasses and memory don't quite reflect what is presented on the screen. For $2 these are worth picking up for anyone with a fond memory of X-com, but as a person who can't spend every moment gaming, I don't have the time to take the nostalgic time-warp back which is required to invest in and play these types of games. With all the love these 2 game packs are getting, I'm simply presenting an alternative perspective before people drop their $2.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not playing the games to get nostalgic and reminisce, I play them them because the gameplay still holds up. I didn't play XCOM when it was first released. I only discovered it later, but I still play one of the first two once or twice a year, because it's a great game. True, the graphics are horrible compared to modern games, and there is a learning curve to it if you've never played it, but it is still one of the best strategy games you can play on the PC.

Your Civ/Civ II analogy isn't relevant, because we've got an arguably better, updated version in Civ 4. If we had an updated version of XCOM I'd probably play it, but at the same time if there was no Civ 4 you'd be darn tootin' right I'd be playing Civ II.

And let's not forget that these packs are only $2. My alternative perspective is that it is so cheap that it's worth that much even if someone demos it and discovers it's not to their tastes.

You know, etcrane, some people actually like to RTFM of a complex game and consider it part of the experience of settling into a deep game.

Yeah, they don't make them like they used to. But I say that's a shame.

bread's done
Back