Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='Soodmeg']Man it just dawn on me how monotonous its going to be to go through the game 26 different times. Even with setting it to 1 round and 30 seconds......

Online mode keeps distracting me from doing anything.[/quote]

I just knocked out Akuma and Gouken, going through with the other chars. Shouldn't take that long and I've already won 50+ online matches. :)

Yeah, I have unlocked all the people except Seth so really I only have like 15 people to beat it with...BUT there is a cheesemint that ask for you to beat the game with everyone at least on med or higher which I didnt do when I was unlocking people.

If I would have know I would have stuck with Med the entire time just so I would have to go back through with the same guy.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I have unlocked all the people except Seth so really I only have like 15 people to beat it with...BUT there is a cheesemint that ask for you to beat the game with everyone at least on med or higher which I didnt do when I was unlocking people.

If I would have know I would have stuck with Med the entire time just so I would have to go back through with the same guy.[/quote]

Heck no. I'll do that later, not to get the characters. Some of the characters are just brutal to use against Seth, even on easiest.

You guys say you vs ken all the time......pfft apparently I am a the magnet for Sagat and Sakura users.

The one guy I seem to have a huge problem with is effing Blanka. I have vs him 5 times and lost 3 of them. There is something about Balrog vs Blanka that is hard to figure out. Most likely because they are both back charging char.

Is there a way i can block a grab?

Im on seth on very easy and fuck, as viper i cant beat him. I try to get close and bam. I beat him with ryu and sakura no problem.

Abel is a damn good character...

I'm pretty good at beating Seth now, after countless attempts. I don't think you can block his grab combos, which sucks but he is the pre-req "impossibly hard last boss" in fighting games afterall. The best technique is to let him come to you and barely actually go after him, if you do he's gonna lock you in those unblockable combos. Take it slow and just keep your distance and jump/block a lot.

Alternatively I found that using a brawler character, or Bison is a great technique for him. Just keep wailing on Seth with the left and right bumpers, I got a few perfects on Seth with Bison thanks to this. Granted it was on easy but still... worth a shot if you have trouble.

... if all else fails use the old Zangief spinning fist spam!

You can not block a grab command....as in a input command not hitting kick/punch together.

You can tech a normal grab my trying to do a grab yourself.

*Side note...I feel disgusting when I spend a round jumping around like a fool with Balrog but all these damn projectile char make it hard. I can dash past them but I dont quite have the timing down so I can do it every time. Ah well I have only lost 2 matches today vs mostly Sagat, Kens and Sakura.

Ice Cold, you've voiced your opinion on this game multiple times already. It's enough already.

Any future posts you make in the thread will be deleted.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You can not block a grab command....as in a input command not hitting kick/punch together.

You can tech a normal grab my trying to do a grab yourself.

*Side note...I feel disgusting when I spend a round jumping around like a fool with Balrog but all these damn projectile char make it hard. I can dash past them but I dont quite have the timing down so I can do it every time. Ah well I have only lost 2 matches today vs mostly Sagat, Kens and Sakura.[/quote]

You're using Balrog? Dude his reach is amazing when jumping over fireballs. Also you can headbutt through them if you time it right. I use lots of EX headbutts.

Yeah, I know...Balrog is a monster in this game. Most of the time I just dash past it and punch them in the face.

Its just when it gets down to the nitty gritty and we are both down on health most shotos (what the hell is a shoto? Ken/Ryu/Sakura?) Will throw a limitless amount of fireballs and sometimes I dont trust myself to time the headbutt or dash right.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. I dont understand the timing when dashing past fireballs. Sometimes I fly right through them....sometimes I get smashed...sometimes I actually seem to punch the fireball away and dont get hurt.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I know...Balrog is a monster in this game. Most of the time I just dash past it and punch them in the face.

Its just when it gets down to the nitty gritty and we are both down on health most shotos (what the hell is a shoto? Ken/Ryu/Sakura?) Will throw a limitless amount of fireballs and sometimes I dont trust myself to time the headbutt or dash right.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. I dont understand the timing when dashing past fireballs. Sometimes I fly right through them....sometimes I get smashed...sometimes I actually seem to punch the fireball away and dont get hurt.[/quote]

If I remember right, an EX dash straight or upper should eat a fireball and hit them. That's another way to get in close. At any rate, an EX headbutt will eat a fireball if you don't go over it, which most do.

I fucking hate Rufus. As in, playing as him.

Any ideas/tips on how to not suck with him? I play through arcade mode with the characters I generally dislike first to get them out of the way before playing as the characters I like playing as, but with this tub of shit I got 2 fights away from Seth and was beat by Sagat like 5-6 times in a row before I just gave up on it for now.

When not playing against friends, it's Ken and Sagat (2). I've ran into 1 Ryu as well. It's quite ridiculous. Ken needs to be nerfed so we have some more variety for crying out loud.

So...I think I've found out something cool. It's basically how each character moves. Each character moves slightly differently while idle on each stage. Like...they go along with the music of each stage. It's kind of neat, actually.

I encountered an online hiccup for the first time tonight though. It slowed things down for a seconds, not stopping it, and it continued on.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I fucking hate Rufus. As in, playing as him.

Any ideas/tips on how to not suck with him? I play through arcade mode with the characters I generally dislike first to get them out of the way before playing as the characters I like playing as, but with this tub of shit I got 2 fights away from Seth and was beat by Sagat like 5-6 times in a row before I just gave up on it for now.[/quote]

I only played with him on easiest to beat the game towards getting Seth. Jump in fierce, crouching medium punch, two in one into his Galactic Tornado.

Yeah, I guess I just didnt know the extent of it. I made some early comments about people going crazy when they see ken and I guess I am going to have to retract them as I forgot you have to account for the lowest common denominator with XBL.

I have vs nothing but god damn Kens and Sagats all day. Also, Ken/Ryu Shinruken (sp jumping uppercut) is bull to me. They can do it seemingly out of any postition. So annoying.

Playing this game on a regular controller is fucking ridiculous. I can't pull off half the easy moves because the D-pad sucks major ass. Time to go buy a fight pad or something.

And how the fuck do I shut off the thing where people join me when all I'm trying to do is play arcade? Pisses me the hell off.

Edit - Finally figured it out. God damn that was pissing me off. I get to the last fight in arcade and am about to win and some asshole decides to play online and then I have to do 2 rounds all over again.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Playing this game on a regular controller is fucking ridiculous. I can't pull off half the easy moves because the D-pad sucks major ass. Time to go buy a fight pad or something.

And how the fuck do I shut off the thing where people join me when all I'm trying to do is play arcade? Pisses me the hell off.

Edit - Finally figured it out. God damn that was pissing me off. I get to the last fight in arcade and am about to win and some asshole decides to play online and then I have to do 2 rounds all over again.[/quote]

Press RB at the main menu.

If you are an achievement whore, there's an achievement for accepting 10 fights.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

Hey are focus attacks the one when you start blinking yellow or is that the hold down kick and punch?[/quote]

Focus attacks are when you press or hold medium punch and kick at the same time. You'll flash white if you hold it long enough and do an inky unblockable attack. When you flash yellow it's an EX attack or you've canceled an attack using the focus attack.

[quote name='DT778']How do I check my win - loss record from online play?[/quote]

From the main menu it should be under PLAYER DATA.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is there a way i can block a grab?

Im on seth on very easy and fuck, as viper i cant beat him. I try to get close and bam. I beat him with ryu and sakura no problem.[/quote]

You can't block throws but attacks beat throws so when he gets close just toss anything at him.

Did you guys suck as much ass as I did when you first started the game? I'm usually good at fighting games. Specifically Soul Calibur games and I was never really bad at Street Fighter games, but I am getting ass raped on Medium Difficulty by C. Viper. Such a cheap character. Any hints/tips for the noob?

And lets not even mention the fact that I think C. Viper looks like ass. Horrible character design with her if you ask me. Not only do her glasses piss me off, but her hair does too. I can see myself getting rid of this game VERY soon and just go buy Soul Calibur IV to hold me over until another decent fighting game comes out. >_

[quote name='DarkRider23']Did you guys suck as much ass as I did when you first started the game? I'm usually good at fighting games. Specifically Soul Calibur games and I was never really bad at Street Fighter games, but I am getting ass raped on Medium Difficulty by C. Viper. Such a cheap character. Any hints/tips for the noob?

And lets not even mention the fact that I think C. Viper looks like ass. Horrible character design with her if you ask me. Not only do her glasses piss me off, but her hair does too. I can see myself getting rid of this game VERY soon and just go buy Soul Calibur IV to hold me over until another decent fighting game comes out. >_

You know what is pissing me off? How I am taking years off my A button life because I have to press it 50 times before I can get into a online match.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You know what is pissing me off? How I am taking years off my A button life because I have to press it 50 times before I can get into a online match.[/quote]

I just make matches. Its easier that way. But my TE stick has turbo so I use that if I need to. :)

OMG guys I'm gone to work for like 5 hours and there's three more pages to catch up on.

For the record if anyone's looking for a CE and having trouble finding one we have two or three 360 versions, not sure about PS3 forgot to look, left. If you want one PM me, send me a message on XBL, whatever and it'll be yours for cost + shipping.

Ugh dude seriously...not only do is it only Kens online (I played 12 kens in a row) all of them do the exact same 4 sets of moves no matter how advanced they are and they are damn hard to stop when spammed over and over. The god damn leg sweep that can be linked into a shiroken is mad gay since the shiroken has priority over every other move in the game.

Ken is godly in this game.

And I know there are way to get through a fireball.......key word fireball singular...but even bad player can through 20 fireballs in a row. I have yet to see a single person be able to dodge that many in a match.

(obviously I have...I am just angry at loosing random fights against spamming kens...and I somehow posted this without actually finishing it...durr?)

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ugh dude seriously...not only do is it only Kens online (I played 12 kens in a row) all of them do the exact same 4 sets of moves no matter how advanced they are and they are damn hard to stop when spammed over and over. The god damn leg sweep that can be linked into a shiroken is mad gay since the shiroken has priority over every other move in the game.

Ken is godly in this game.

And I know there are way to get through a fireball.......key word fireball singular...but even bad player can through 20 fireballs in a row. I have yet to see a single person be able to dodge[/quote]

Lol Ken is far from godly. In fact, I think he and Ryu are nerfed just right over previous games. If you think they're bad on this game, you should play some Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix.

I just unlocked all my characters, woot. :)

Time to beat someone's ass online.

Well fuck me. I just watched a Seth battle and a demo of Dan on Youtube, and now my interest is re-piqued. Time to scrounge up some funds...

[quote name='mike.m']Lol Ken is far from godly. In fact, I think he and Ryu are nerfed just right over previous games. If you think they're bad on this game, you should play some Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix.

I just unlocked all my characters, woot. :)

Time to beat someone's ass online.[/quote]

Yeah, I know that....I posted that without actually finishing what I was saying for some reason. Like I said in the edit I am just angry that I just lost to a spamming ken thats all.

EDIT: I think I am going to start training with Blanka.

Anybody else having trouble connecting to games. I always get a list of people with blinking red antennas. I have to click on every one on the list until it connects to someone.

Wow, ever have that moment where you did something crazy and no idea how you did it? Canceled from a low kick into a Spiral Arrow, which I meant to do, but then I canceled that into a super combo. Wish I knew what I did. >.<

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I know that....I posted that without actually finishing what I was saying for some reason. Like I said in the edit I am just angry that I just lost to a spamming ken thats all.

EDIT: I think I am going to start training with Blanka.[/QUOTE]

Blanka's so disapointing from HDR, was going to main him again but meh.

[quote name='jdeluis']Anybody else having trouble connecting to games. I always get a list of people with blinking red antennas. I have to click on every one on the list until it connects to someone.[/QUOTE]

Yea just start a game, works much better.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I fucking hate Rufus. As in, playing as him.

Any ideas/tips on how to not suck with him? I play through arcade mode with the characters I generally dislike first to get them out of the way before playing as the characters I like playing as, but with this tub of shit I got 2 fights away from Seth and was beat by Sagat like 5-6 times in a row before I just gave up on it for now.[/quote]

I can see myself liking Rufus a lot in the near future. His moves flow into each other pretty nicely.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Playing this game on a regular controller is fucking ridiculous. I can't pull off half the easy moves because the D-pad sucks major ass. Time to go buy a fight pad or something.

[/quote]

I'm loving my fightpad. It makes pulling off the supers a LOT easier.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Did you guys suck as much ass as I did when you first started the game? I'm usually good at fighting games. Specifically Soul Calibur games and I was never really bad at Street Fighter games, but I am getting ass raped on Medium Difficulty by C. Viper. Such a cheap character. Any hints/tips for the noob?

[quote name='bardockkun']I Have no trouble finding games when in arcade mode.[/QUOTE]

Well yea, I had 6 matches against people earlier before I got through the second round.

It seems like online is going to crap from when I first started to play and that was when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Hell I still don't but I know more now. I have played against all Kens, Ryu's and 2 or 3 Akumas. All of them did nothing but shoot fire balls at me and all the Akumas I had beat till they did the utlra combo and took so damn much life. I thought I was fighting a boss. Can you use Seth online? If so then when people start unlocking him he will chances are be all over the place.

[quote name='sendme']It seems like online is going to crap from when I first started to play and that was when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Hell I still don't but I know more now. I have played against all Kens, Ryu's and 2 or 3 Akumas. All of them did nothing but shoot fire balls at me and all the Akumas I had beat till they did the utlra combo and took so damn much life. I thought I was fighting a boss. Can you use Seth online? If so then when people start unlocking him he will chances are be all over the place.[/quote]
And no one will know how to use him and it'll be an easy win.

I really hope they do some balance tweaks to the game because Akuma and Seth in particular seem like they're going to be banned from tournaments. While I will probably never play in said tournaments when that's the case it usually speaks to great exploitable lack of balance.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Wow, ever have that moment where you did something crazy and no idea how you did it? Canceled from a low kick into a Spiral Arrow, which I meant to do, but then I canceled that into a super combo. Wish I knew what I did. >.<

Blanka's so disapointing from HDR, was going to main him again but meh.

Yea just start a game, works much better.[/quote]

You can cancel into super moves. So example, Balrog:

You do a charge back, forward dash straight punch and immediately after hitting the punch button you hit back, forward quickly and punch again.

It does his dash straight move then goes into his super.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What makes Blanka disappointing?[/QUOTE]

I just don't like the way he plays. Feels heavier and his balls much less menacing. Used to be able to zip all over biting faces. Now he bites shoulders instead of faces. That and I don't like the really cartoony look.

So far i really like using Sakura. I can whip some ass with her. I also was able to breeze through arcade mode with Bison and his Crouch+Kick slide kick move he has. LOL.

I still cant get ultras to work when they involve the 2 second hold into a forward double tap. Well im not sure how they work. Ultras like Chun Li's and Bisons.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I haven't tried this yet, but how easy is it to play against someone from your friend list?[/quote]

Start a player match, turn private slots on, invite and done!

[quote name='amusedtoe']I really hope they do some balance tweaks to the game because Akuma and Seth in particular seem like they're going to be banned from tournaments. While I will probably never play in said tournaments when that's the case it usually speaks to great exploitable lack of balance.[/quote]

The boss characters from the single player are no where near as powerful as the unlocked playable versions. Playable Akuma is still pretty powerful but he takes alot of damage in SF4.

[quote name='The 7th Number']

I still cant get ultras to work when they involve the 2 second hold into a forward double tap. Well im not sure how they work. Ultras like Chun Li's and Bisons.[/quote]

Forward double tap? It's hold back then forward, back, forward then punch/kick.

I am 6-0 with my test blanka. People seemingly have no idea how to fight him. The jumpers get crushed by the vertical ball....he can duck under all fireballs..and when they try to come forward I smash them with the straight ball. Throw some combos in there and they fall apart.

I would love to see the faces of the last 4 kens (2 sagats) when they saw they couldnt even get block damage with fireballs as they were completely missing me. Then when they tried to jump in I just hit them with the vertical ball.

Here is what I am finding out about this game....you can never really tell how good you are. One second you are owning some guy who probably barely knows anything..the next second you are getting your ass handed to you in a basket from the Bruce Lee of Street Fighter.

That mystery alone excites me enough to at least put in a couple hundred online matches.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

Here is what I am finding out about this game....you can never really tell how good you are. One second you are owning some guy who probably barely knows anything..the next second you are getting your ass handed to you in a basket from the Bruce Lee of Street Fighter.

That mystery alone excites me enough to at least put in a couple hundred online matches.[/QUOTE]

Simple...there's alot of scrubs playing this game right now online but as the weeks go by you'll see an improvement in online opponents. For now you might as well prey on the weak :)

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Simple...there's alot of scrubs playing this game right now online but as the weeks go by you'll see an improvement in online opponents. For now you might as well prey on the weak :)[/QUOTE]

How true is that. I won 12 matches straight with Dan before i met a REALLY good Dhalsim player. Im loving dan though. For some reason i actually think they made him good in this game.

I think once the players start to branch off the Shotos than we can see some good online competition. I mean ive mained up Ryu and Ken but branching to Sagat and Dan...Im having so much fun right now.

bread's done
Back