Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (3/15-3/21)

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4876&pictureid=5667[/rightimg]This week's best deal is at Kmart (B&M only), who has the PS3 & 360 versions of Call of Duty: World at War for $30.

Also of interest is Toys R Us buy 1, get 1 $20 off all $39.99+ Wii, 360, and PS3 games sale. Don't forget that today is the last day for GameStop's buy 2 get 1 free used games/accessories sale.

Read on for the rest of this week's Sunday ad deals.[/preview]

I've stripped out all the MSRP items and have listed the most noteworthy items in bold.

Best Buy (Ad)
Thanks Masker13 - See Masker13's ad post here

:ps3: Buy any PS3 console, get LittleBigPlanet, MLB 09, or Killzone 2 Free

:wii: Cooking Mama World Kitchen $29.99

:pc: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II $39.99
:pc: Empire: Total War $39.99

:psp: Namco Battle Collection $9.99

GameStop (Ad)
Offers good 3/13- 3/19
icontrade.gif
Trade in 2 select games, get Resident Evil 5 for $19.99
icongs_r1.gif
Rock Band Special Edition Bundle (PS3/360) $99.99

iconused.gif
Buy 2, Get 1 Free Used Games/Accessories Ends 3/19

iconused.gif
Used Deals of the Week
:360: Condemned Criminal Origins $9.99
:ps2: Resident Evil Code: Veronica X $4.99
:ps2: Resident Evil Outbreak $4.99

:ds: $10 off select Spongbob DS games[hiddenlist]
:ds: Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants Edition $19.99
:ds SpongeBob SquarePants featuring NickToons: Globs of Doom $19.99
:ds SpongeBob vs. The Big One: Beach Party Cook Off $19.99[/hiddenlist]
:ds: $5 off select THQ DS games[hiddenlist]
:ds: WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009
:ds: Drawn to Life $14.99
:ds: Paws and Claws Pampered Pets $14.99[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[/hiddenlist]

Kmart (Ad)
Thanks, atchisonk

kmart.gif
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3/360) $29.99

Target (Ad)
Thanks, stevemoco - See stevemoco's ad post here

:ps3: Buy a PS3 160 GB console, get a $50 PSN card free

icontarget.gif
Shaun White Snowboarding (PSP/PS2) $18
PSP $170

Toys R Us (Ad)
Thanks, life.exe - See life.exe's ad post here

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Buy 1, Get 1 $20 off ALL Wii, Xbox 360, or PS3 games priced 39.99 or more

:wii: Save $20 when you buy Wii Fit and Wii We Ski together

:ds: Free Giratina Figure when you reserve a copy of Pokemon Platinum for $5

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by heyheyhey11
Man, the money I'm saving being a CAG is huge.

Here's my plan

Buy re5 and get 20gc on fri.
Buy sf4 and valkyria chronicles. Get 20 dollar off plus 20 more using the GC.

And return the sealed copy of sf4 at target where I saved the receipt. When I bought it last
Month.

60 + 60 + 60 - 20 - 20 - 60 = 80 dollar for full priced games.

I think you're miscalculating. You're not taking into account that you already bought SF4 so techinically you bought SF4 twice.

No, he is calculating it correctly because his returning SF4 and getting the original monies he paid for that back.

He is a CAG after my heart, this doesn't hurt anyone Target will still get their $60 from someone else.

It's a brilliant plan, maybe a little un-ethical, but it's not hurting Target or TRU, just the joe who has so much cash he didn't figure out how to do it.

Not sure if someone allready asked this, but if I buy RE5, get the 20$ gift card and then return RE5 do I get 60$ back in store credit on top of the 20$ gift card?

I highly doubt it. You would be able to buy 3 copies of RE5 and get 3 $20 giftcards. Then you return the 3 copies and use the 3 giftcards on a free copy of RE5. I do not picture Toys R Us setting themselves up for that.

[quote name='wildcpac']I highly doubt it. You would be able to buy 3 copies of RE5 and get 3 $20 giftcards. Then you return the 3 copies and use the 3 giftcards on a free copy of RE5. I do not picture Toys R Us setting themselves up for that.[/quote]

Read the posts, people have done this before. Returning these one at a time probably wouldn't raise a red flag.

Unethical? Slightly. Fraud? No. Go CAGing!

[quote name='drktrpr1']Read the posts, people have done this before. Returning these one at a time probably wouldn't raise a red flag.

Unethical? Slightly. Fraud? No. Go CAGing![/QUOTE]

Returning 3 games for full price and somehow managing to keep the 3 $20 cards to use to acquire the game for free is in FACT the very definition of fraud. You might as well stroll behind the counter, borrow the keys, take one out of the glass case and walk out the door without paying for it. Just because SOME stores may not ring returns correctly does not make it any less of a fraud for you to take advantage of it. And yes it is unethical as well.

Now I'm not saying CAGs should or shouldn't be unethical, immoral or commit fraud, but let's not say something isn't fraud when clearly it is. Yes, I have been known to commit this type of fraud in the past, and I have even done it against TRU, but never for a free game, usually for more of the FREE promotional giveaways they include with new games.

fraud (frôd)
n.
1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.
2. A piece of trickery; a trick.
a. One that defrauds; a cheat.
b. One who assumes a false pose; an impostor.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Read the posts, people have done this before. Returning these one at a time probably wouldn't raise a red flag.

Unethical? Slightly. Fraud? No. Go CAGing![/quote]

You make me sick.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']Originally Posted by heyheyhey11

Here's my plan

And return the sealed copy of sf4 at target where I saved the receipt. When I bought it last
Month.

I think you're miscalculating. You're not taking into account that you already bought SF4 so techinically you bought SF4 twice.

No, he is calculating it correctly because his returning SF4 and getting the original monies he paid for that back.

He is a CAG after my heart, this doesn't hurt anyone Target will still get their $60 from someone else.

It's a brilliant plan, maybe a little un-ethical, but it's not hurting Target or TRU, just the joe who has so much cash he didn't figure out how to do it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if he were calculating correctly it'd be:

$60 (SF4 at Target)
$60 (RE5 at TRU), Free $20 GC
$60 + $60 (SF4 / VC at TRU) - $20 instant savings; use gift card -$20
-$60 (Return SF4)
=================

So: $60 + $60 + $60 + $60 - $20 (GC) - $20 (instant) - $60 (Return) = 140

140 =/= 80

[quote name='Twie']Not sure if someone allready asked this, but if I buy RE5, get the 20$ gift card and then return RE5 do I get 60$ back in store credit on top of the 20$ gift card?[/quote]

The only way you might be able to do this is to get a gift receipt.. I have dont this in the past during the B1G1 free deal in the fall. Also it depends on if they ring the game up at full price or not. In the past they have rung the games up at full price, and the gift card up as $0.00, if you do that you could go in, buy the game w/gift card and return the game only with your gift receipt and keep the gift card for another purchase.

This thread is a joke. All of these genious CAG's thinking they can cheat TRU out of free gift cards. Do you all really think you are the first person to think of this idea?!?!?!?! And do you not think TRU knows about about that kind of scam when they do these deals all the time?!?!

Seriously, y'all a bunch of RAG's (Retarded Ass Gamers)

With the $20 GC Deal at TRU can you price match and either get a GC for $20 or $20 off Resident Evil 5 at Wal-Mart?

Thanks,

love the RAG! and the point I was making is that you are just exchanging an item for it's full value for something else. You are not scamming anything. Money spent is money spent. And it has been done before, and so long as they ring up the game at full price and the gc. as 0.00 you are good to go.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Actually, if he were calculating correctly it'd be:

$60 (SF4 at Target)
$60 (RE5 at TRU), Free $20 GC
$60 + $60 (SF4 / VC at TRU) - $20 instant savings; use gift card -$20
-$60 (Return SF4)
=================

So: $60 + $60 + $60 + $60 - $20 (GC) - $20 (instant) - $60 (Return) = 140

140 =/= 80[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I was just about to do the same (correct the math, that is). Otherwise three $60 games for only $80 would've been an amazing deal.

People here always like to share with others their justification of fraud as being clever.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']Originally Posted by heyheyhey11

Here's my plan

Month.

It's a brilliant plan, maybe a little un-ethical, but it's not hurting Target or TRU, just the joe who has so much cash he didn't figure out how to do it.[/quote]
No he is calculating it wrong.
60 for target street fighter
60 for RE4
120 for other two games
_____
-20 gift card for RE4
-20 promo for two games
-60 returning ST4
____
140 for the three games

You're right. Ultimately I just be getting 2 games to keep. That's re5 and VC. For 80buck.

I had to include sf4 to my purchase of VC to save 20 dollars. And re5 GC promotion is only for fri and sat.

I bought sf4 at target for full price and kept the receipt just in case I find a better deal somewhere else during 3 month period I could return. In the end, I'll save 20 dollars but at this bad economy, we all need every dollar to be productive.

I am the happy to be member of CAG

Hello, new member here. I'm a gamer at heart and I've gotten most of my deals through Fatwallet or Slickdeals. I've seen CAG mentioned enough times that I decided to check it out for myself.

I like what I've seen here so far but this thread kind of troubles me. I'm all for being cheap and trying to get the best deal possible, but some of you guys are in fact talking about fraud, no matter how you try to word it.

I know stuff like this happens and my opinion probably won't sway the people who think this is ok. I'm curious tho, is open discussion of this tolerated by the owner(s)/mod(s) here? On other sites they'd be squashed pretty quick or the users themselves would flame these people hard enough to prevent these types of discussions.

Anyways, I'm in for RE5 and the TRU GC. I shop there enough for my kids to make this a good deal for me. Thanks OP!

I don't know how people think its right to think it it is okay to buy a game, get a giftcard, and try to return the game for full price. So stores are supposed to pay customers to window shop now huh.... It's assholes like that, which make shit so horrible for the rest of us.

[quote name='BoboTheBear']Hello, new member here. I'm a gamer at heart and I've gotten most of my deals through Fatwallet or Slickdeals. I've seen CAG mentioned enough times that I decided to check it out for myself.

I like what I've seen here so far but this thread kind of troubles me. I'm all for being cheap and trying to get the best deal possible, but some of you guys are in fact talking about fraud, no matter how you try to word it.

I know stuff like this happens and my opinion probably won't sway the people who think this is ok. I'm curious tho, is open discussion of this tolerated by the owner(s)/mod(s) here? On other sites they'd be squashed pretty quick or the users themselves would flame these people hard enough to prevent these types of discussions.

Anyways, I'm in for RE5 and the TRU GC. I shop there enough for my kids to make this a good deal for me. Thanks OP![/quote]
I go to slickdeals alot to and trust me things get much worse than this.

Even if the "return and keep the gift card" people do not think of it as fraud, it is still unjust enrichment. You are expecting to receive something for nothing.

The return game gc will not work I can garuntee it, over the past winter they changed the registers to deduct the value of the item of the amount of the gc. So you guys trying to return the game will only get 39.99 back unless you want to give the gc back as well.

anyone who is expecting to get full price (59.99) back for a (game+GC) transaction is a moron.
The store are way ahead of you and already figured that out. but if people have managed , by chance to get full price back its because of a newbie cashier most likely. most registers are set up not to accept such transactions

[quote name='varev']The return game gc will not work I can garuntee it, over the past winter they changed the registers to deduct the value of the item of the amount of the gc. So you guys trying to return the game will only get 39.99 back unless you want to give the gc back as well.[/QUOTE]

Actually it depends on the item. At least in CA it was pointed out earlier that "promotional" gift cards, ones that EXPIRE, can NOT be charged for as CA has a law that prevents gift card expirations. Therefore when I purchased RB2 bundle with the $20 GC promo it rang up at $0. Also when I used that RB2 $20 GC the week before it expired, I purchased Gears of War which included a Free XBL 3 month card. The $20 XBL card also rang on the receipt at $0. I exchanged the GOW a week later for SFIV and kept the XBL card, the manager didn't even question it.

So SFIV cost me net $40 and I got a 3mo XBL card ($20) and Chun-Li figure ($0) to boot, it took 3 trips to TRU in order to use the Promo gift card before it's expiry as I planned to get SFIV with it anyway. Yes I believe this is unethical and fraud as TRU wasn't technically selling SFIV with the free XBL card. However GOW and SFIV sell for the same price and the Chun figure was free anyway, and the manager didn't ask for the XBL card back, or I would have given it to her. In the end I unintentionally got something (XBL) for nothing. This is THE SAME tactic as exchanging the B2G1F games a week later for ones that haven't yet released and everyone seems perfectly okay with that.

Now if it is a TRUE gift card in CA they should charge you the $10 or $20 for it and discount the game by the same amount. However these never expire so I think TRU is still testing the waters to determine if they make more by giving Gift Cards that expire and hoping people don't use them or giving ones that don't and risking people returning the product without the gift card, in which case you still paid for it. They could get in TONS of legal trouble for this unless they allow you to return gift cards for their cash value too. Their POS doesn't seem to understand the concept of forcing returns with promotional items to require inclusion or deduction of the promotional item's value. Best Buy POS has been doing this correctly forever as have most other retailers.

[quote name='williamspam91']can anybody confirm that Toys R Us will actually do the deal mentioned in OP's post?[/quote]

I kinda work there...and have the ad in my hands.

[quote name='slidecage']nice fraud ... stores really need to start putting some type of their own lables on the games to keep people from doing this..

[/QUOTE]

This isn't fraud. He just sucks at math

60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) - 20 (RE PROMO) - 20 (TRU PROMO) - 60 (TARGET RETURN) + 60 (TARGET PURCHASE FROM 2 WEEKS AGO = 80 140 dollar for full priced games.

That is unless he doesn't count the money he ALREADY PAID to target 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='gwill']This isn't fraud. He just sucks at math

60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) - 20 (RE PROMO) - 20 (TRU PROMO) - 60 (TARGET RETURN) + 60 (TARGET PURCHASE FROM 2 WEEKS AGO = 80 140 dollar for full priced games.

That is unless he doesn't count the money he ALREADY PAID to target 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

geebus how many times are we going through his math. Its already been clarified twice

[quote name='judgedee']geebus how many times are we going through his math. Its already been clarified twice[/QUOTE]

all night?

60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) + 60 (TRU) - 20 (RE PROMO) - 20 (TRU PROMO) - 60 (TARGET RETURN) + 60 (TARGET PURCHASE FROM 2 WEEKS AGO) = 140 dollar for full priced games.

That is unless he doesn't count the money he ALREADY PAID to target 2 weeks ago.

I just want to make sure I understand this ad because it seems like this is being blown out of proportion. I want to buy RE5 and receive the $20 GC. Now I also want Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria chronicles. Will I get the $20 off of either ToV or VC? or does the 2nd game purchased need to be a $40 game? That's the only way I see how to get 2 $60 games for $80.

As long as they still cost $39.99 or more you should be able to get $20 off those (combined purchase) while using your $20 gc from RE5. But they may not have those in stock.

[quote name='life.exe']I kinda work there...and have the ad in my hands.[/quote]
okay thanks sorry, it's just the Toys R Us in my neck of the woods is far from my house so I didn't want to plan ahead for nothing.

160GB PS3 $500 with free $50 PSN card
PSP $170
DS GTA Chinatown Wars $35
Wii Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz $18
DS Kung Fu Panda $18
PS2 or PSP Shaun White Snowboarding $18

Cheapy get in touch with me and I can just send you the info instead of typing it all twice

[quote name='stevemoco']160GB PS3 $500 with free $50 PSN card
PSP $170
DS GTA Chinatown Wars $35
Wii Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz $18
DS Kung Fu Panda $18
PS2 or PSP Shaun White Snowboarding $18

Cheapy get in touch with me and I can just send you the info instead of typing it all twice
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Cheers, gunna put in for kung fu panda!

Saint

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 deal is interesting , but I'm still holding out for the long rumored price drop. Kinda weird putting Super Monkey Ball Wii on sale when the game has been available since launch.

Could I go on the 15th and buy RE5 and SFIV together.

Get $20 off that with B1G1 and still get a $20 GC for a later purchase for buying RE5?

[quote name='r19ecua']I just want to make sure I understand this ad because it seems like this is being blown out of proportion. I want to buy RE5 and receive the $20 GC. Now I also want Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria chronicles. Will I get the $20 off of either ToV or VC? or does the 2nd game purchased need to be a $40 game? That's the only way I see how to get 2 $60 games for $80.[/quote]

sigh, WTF! you're making things complicated, just read the damn first post again!

buying TWO games and get $20 off as long as they're $40 +
buying RE5 will give you a $20 GC back

which part of the deal you don't understand?

People got creative in their math, the only way (in this promotion) you get TWO $60 for $80 is if you apply the $20 off and the $20 GC from RE5. That still means you're paying $60 for RE5, duh!

As for the dude with anal math issue, returning the Target copy ($60) using the TRU promo only netting you a $20 GC, regardless how you look at it. So, if you're spending the $20GC on something else, it doesn't change the fact that you paid $60 for RE5. NO, it doesn't! Man, no wonder the accounting/financial system is freaking complicated...

[quote name='JustinP31688']Could I go on the 15th and buy RE5 and SFIV together.

Get $20 off that with B1G1 and still get a $20 GC for a later purchase for buying RE5?[/quote]

no because the $20 GC promotion ends the 14th, and the B1G1 starts the 15th

I love all the math.

If they split the $20 off on both games that makes it $10 a piece right? You could then un-fraudingly return one of the games and still get $10 off the one you didn't return.

WTF? You guys pooping up the thread man... I finally figured out what B1G1 used here means. It means B1G1 $20 off... and i thought it was B1G1 FREE. You know, it's less misleading if you just say buy TWO $40+ games and get $20 off (which is what the OP said).

Sigh... you must be extremely naive to think that RE5's $20 GC promo count as one game toward the TWO games $40 + and $20 off promo.

bread's done
Back