Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this had included Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and maybe a few other Mario games as well. I mean, this is the same as the SNES Mario All Stars game and Mario has surely had many hit games since then.

Wow! Nice that they're bringing it, and just $30 too. SO wish they'd release more games like this, but oh well.

Hmm...guess I need to do Gamestop to spend my astounding amounts of credit.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']In for one... money well spent.

And I bet that all the haters in this thread are guys that started gaming in the PS1 or PS2 generations. Sorry guys, but Mario will always (forever) be the king of videogames.

Sorry that you guys don't have a franchise that can rival Mario in your consoles of choice.[/QUOTE]

Stop hatin hypocritical hater

Got mine preordered! (Used up the last credit on this gift card, and some from my Edge card...what's this...new card they're talking about that Gamestop has? I'd never heard of it before. Don't know if it's just a new name for an Edge card or what.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Got mine preordered! (Used up the last credit on this gift card, and some from my Edge card...what's this...new card they're talking about that Gamestop has? I'd never heard of it before. Don't know if it's just a new name for an Edge card or what.)[/QUOTE]

i got it too when i pre-ordered Mario in store. Its called their Power-Up rewards program.

its just a rewards program like Best Buy where you buy stuff, get points and redeem for coupons or goods. looking at the current catalog, it looks like just a bunch of items that didnt sell well at all in stores like a mario wallet or batteries. Heck for 1000 pustints you can buy a game play guarantee lol.

here is info on it
http://www.poweruprewards.com/Home/Benefits

Thanks for the info!

Ugh...my order is "under review", whatever that means. I'd better not have issues...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Thanks for the info!

Ugh...my order is "under review", whatever that means. I'd better not have issues...[/QUOTE]

its just their anti fraud system. You should be fine otherwise.

anyone else's GameStop history still messed up? when I pre-ordered few copies (to get rid of $10 credits) the confirm emails said Mario but the order history online had different games. I check today and the online history is still wrong.

[quote name='happydogs']$30, if it was the version of All Stars with Super Mario World on it. I didn't mind the fact that my SNES copy didn't have it because i already owned it(obviously, it was a pack in with the original system), but the absence of it in this package is the deal breaker for me. I won't be losing any sleep over it; i'm just not going to buy it.[/QUOTE]
For the love of god, people, there is NO version of All-Stars that had Super Mario World. The combo cartridge that contained both All-Stars AND Super Mario World was a 2-games-on-1-cartridge just like how Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were 2 totally separate games on 1 cartridge. Super Mario World was NEVER part of All-Stars, and just because there was a system pack-in cartridge that had TWO games on it -- All-Stars and SMW -- doesn't mean that SMW was ever part of All-Stars. Because it wasn't. /rant ;)

[quote name='ananag112']I wish this had included Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and maybe a few other Mario games as well. I mean, this is the same as the SNES Mario All Stars game and Mario has surely had many hit games since then.[/QUOTE]

If Nintendo ever released the following compilation, I'd happily fork over $50 for it. Until then I can live with $30 for this collection. Thanks OP!

SMB
SMB2 (US)
SMB3
Lost Levels
SMW
SMW2: Yoshi's Island
Mario 64

(or heck, $60-$70 for a Limited Ed. that includes Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64)

[quote name='gamerdogbert']For the love of god, people, there is NO version of All-Stars that had Super Mario World. The combo cartridge that contained both All-Stars AND Super Mario World was a 2-games-on-1-cartridge just like how Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were 2 totally separate games on 1 cartridge. Super Mario World was NEVER part of All-Stars, and just because there was a system pack-in cartridge that had TWO games on it -- All-Stars and SMW -- doesn't mean that SMW was ever part of All-Stars. Because it wasn't. /rant ;)[/QUOTE]
It looks like SMW is actually part of the second SNES version of All-Stars rather the a separate game on the same cart. You have to go through a modified version of the All-Stars title screen to access SMW. Then SMW is integrated into the menu from All-Stars along with the other four games.

SuperMarioAllStarsWorld.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gamerdogbert']For the love of god, people, there is NO version of All-Stars that had Super Mario World. The combo cartridge that contained both All-Stars AND Super Mario World was a 2-games-on-1-cartridge just like how Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were 2 totally separate games on 1 cartridge. Super Mario World was NEVER part of All-Stars, and just because there was a system pack-in cartridge that had TWO games on it -- All-Stars and SMW -- doesn't mean that SMW was ever part of All-Stars. Because it wasn't. /rant ;)[/QUOTE]
Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to get at in the wrong way. You have to go through a modified version of the All-Stars title screen to access SMW (the original title screen for All-Stars has been removed). Then SMW is integrated into the menu from All-Stars along with the other four games.

[quote name='CGH']If I did not own the super mario all stars world snes cart and gba versions I would be all over this.[/QUOTE]

I also own the snes cartridge, but still going after this one, it's a great collectible especially the soundtrack and the booklet

anyone else's GameStop history still messed up? when I pre-ordered few copies (to get rid of $10 credits) the confirm emails said Mario but the order history online had different games. I check today and the online history is still wrong.

[quote name='ZForce915']Do want...but, how many damn times do they want us to buy the same damn game over and over?

Super Mario Bros:
NES
SNES (All stars)
GBA
Virtual Console

This will be the fifth time they sold us this game.[/QUOTE]

6th, actually. You forgot the Gameboy Color "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" XDD

[quote name='Roninalchemist']6th, actually. You forgot the Gameboy Color "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" XDD[/QUOTE]

Man, that version ruled.

[quote name='Thrinn']Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to get at in the wrong way. You have to go through a modified version of the All-Stars title screen to access SMW (the original title screen for All-Stars has been removed). Then SMW is integrated into the menu from All-Stars along with the other four games.

[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but the All-Star/SMW version had the SM2 Luigi physics vs. the original SMW that Luigi was a Mario clone. I've got the game pre-ordered because I'm a Mario whore, but I haven't decided if I'm going to cancel or not. If you are into the soundtrack, bonuses this is a great deal. If you just want the games, Sony releases 3 PS2 games in HD on PS3 for $40, Nintendo releases 4 NES games on Wii for $30? Doesn't seem quite right since I already have multiple versions of the games and an SNES hooked up right now. But alas I'll probably keep the preorder just so I have a version to travel with me to people's houses hat have Wiis.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_All-Stars_Super_Mario_World

Ahem.

"Although there are no huge differences to the game unlike the other games in All-Stars, there are a few minor differences, such as the sprites for Luigi in Super Mario World. In the original game, Luigi looks exactly like Mario except with a green outfit. In the remake, he is slimmer than Mario and performs many actions differently (for instance, Mario slides down slopes on his rear, but Luigi slides down on his knees). Interestingly, Luigi also spits fireballs rather than shooting them from his fingers, resembling the attack of a Fire Bro. Mid-game saving is also incorporated, which works the same as it did in the other games.

Also note that Super Mario World now has four save files similar to the rest of the games in Super Mario All-Stars, where original version only had three. "

Can we stop talking about this now? Yes, there was a combo pack. YES, it had minor differences that probably will not be in this version which lacks Super Mario World. Whether those differences matter that much to you is an open question.

[quote name='iGen']Let's be honest, now: for those of you who have played these games before, what's the most you would be willing to pay for this re-release, not considering potential resale profits?[/QUOTE]I'll pick it up since the battery in my SMAS cart is almost dead. $30 is a little more than I want to pay, but only by $5.

[quote name='E-Z-B']My only gripe with this (may have been mentioned already), is that in the first SMB, when you're small mario, you lose speed when you jump up and hit a block from underneath. It throws off the timing that you're used to from the NES version.[/QUOTE]

Huh. So there IS a control difference? Because back when this came out, I could have sworn I wasn't as good at it-I remember mentioning that to some guy at Toy's R Us and he said something like yeah, it feels different.

You know, it would be awesome if this included the original versions of these games-and throw in the original game Super Mario Bros. 2 is based off of also! (And Super Mario World should be in there obviously!)

Oh well, $30 for 3-4 kick-ass games is still good :)

Just my two cents, but I really don't care about the booklet or the soundtrack. I know the history of Mario, and I have the music from the games in MP3 form.

So that just leaves the game disc, which apparently contains only what the SNES cartridge contained in 1993 (even omitting Super Mario World, which was added a year later). For that, $30 is a bit steep. There's so much else they could have done: They could have thrown in Yoshi's Island (which has yet to be released on the Virtual Console), or Super Mario Land or Donkey Kong [94] (since there is currently no such thing as a Virtual Handheld, and there won't be until the 3DS comes out). Instead, we get the original All Stars release--nothing but 16-bit versions of games that are readily available for download in 8-bit form.

I get why Nintendo didn't want to make All Stars a standalone, $8 VC release, but cripes. This one's a pass for me.

[quote name='Thrinn']Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to get at in the wrong way. You have to go through a modified version of the All-Stars title screen to access SMW (the original title screen for All-Stars has been removed). Then SMW is integrated into the menu from All-Stars along with the other four games.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, it was integrated into the loading screen, and there were other revisions as well, but... (I'll continue below)
[quote name='Gourd']http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_All-Stars_Super_Mario_World

Ahem.

"Although there are no huge differences to the game unlike the other games in All-Stars, there are a few minor differences, such as the sprites for Luigi in Super Mario World. In the original game, Luigi looks exactly like Mario except with a green outfit. In the remake, he is slimmer than Mario and performs many actions differently (for instance, Mario slides down slopes on his rear, but Luigi slides down on his knees). Interestingly, Luigi also spits fireballs rather than shooting them from his fingers, resembling the attack of a Fire Bro. Mid-game saving is also incorporated, which works the same as it did in the other games.

Also note that Super Mario World now has four save files similar to the rest of the games in Super Mario All-Stars, where original version only had three. "

Can we stop talking about this now? Yes, there was a combo pack. YES, it had minor differences that probably will not be in this version which lacks Super Mario World. Whether those differences matter that much to you is an open question.[/QUOTE]
The fact that it contains a revised version of SM All-Stars (we'll call it version 1.1) along with a SM World integrated into the bootloader screen, does not change the fact that World is still not part of All-Stars itself, as evidenced by the packaging and the new title screen saying "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World". If World was part of All-Stars, then they wouldn't need to say it with a PLUS. Esoterics, I know, but I just got tired of all the posts whining that it isn't the version of All-Stars that includes World, when no such thing ever existed.

This is a re-release of All-Stars, not All-Stars + World, people. Whether it ends up containing v1.0 or v1.1 of All-Stars remains to be seen. But if it was a new collection with a new, different selection of games included, then it would have been given a new name, such as Super Mario Anniversary Collection. But it's not, it's just a re-release of All-Stars and all you're getting is all that All-Stars has ever included.

^Yea, people are saying it should've came with Super Mario World too and be able to choose on the main menu? What do you not get about that?

It was a collection of Mario games and the latest "collection" they gave us was "Super Mario World/All-Stars"

You're really arguing for the sake of arguing. People are saying there should be a better collection now 17 years later (like the Super Mario World/All-Stars collection that was released). This "collection" should include more than just the SNES collection released all that time ago, which was originally only released as a collection of the best Mario games from NES to play on SNES.

At this point, to release this same old "collection" on to the Wii as a retail disc is absurd. There should definitely be more added all this time later. There's been a lot of good Mario games since then.

looks like your img is broken, MM.

41PJFXuyjZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

man what bullshit! They didn't use the shade of red I wanted! This is c2222e and I insist on having cd2733. FAIL NINTENDO FAIL!!!!!

[quote name='confoosious']
41PJFXuyjZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I hope it's a box set (2 dvd case) like the JP and EU versions, that just looks like it's all in one case :[ Still getting it, wish Nintendo would show everything included.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I hope it's a box set (2 dvd case) like the JP and EU versions, that just looks like it's all in one case :[ Still getting it, wish Nintendo would show everything included.[/QUOTE]

I suspect it's gonna be 1 box too. But I can't tell if the artbook will fit in it or be separately. I'd actually pay more if it was like the ME2 CE. (no steelbook of course.)

edit: although this just could be the artwork of the dvd case and there's an outer case we don't know about yet.

Nintendo could have done so much more for Mario's 25th anniversary than this... a re-release of a game that came out on SNES 17 years ago. Hell, it's the 25th anniversary! Put some more of Mario's legendary games in the collection. This feels like a cash-in to make a few quick bucks rather than something to really celebrate Mario.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']Nintendo could have done so much more for Mario's 25th anniversary than this... a re-release of a game that came out on SNES 17 years ago. Hell, it's the 25th anniversary! Put some more of Mario's legendary games in the collection. This feels like a cash-in to make a few quick bucks rather than something to really celebrate Mario.[/QUOTE]

Did anyone else hear something? Oh sorry must have been that echo still going on.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Did anyone else hear something? Oh sorry must have been that echo still going on.[/QUOTE]

Bitches gonna hate playa! /pimpwalk

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I can't help but think of this when reading the comments here. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Was that promotion released towards the end of the SNES's lifespan? If not, then they were definitely more generous about their IPs back in the day.

I played Super Mario Bros 3 off All-Stars like 100 times my second year of college. Hearing about this release on the Wii gets me excited, but I think I'm going to pass. I think I'd play SMB3 for like 30 minutes and then never touch the disc again.

I'm not paying for these again. Already bought them originally, on GBA and then on Virtual Console. Seems like a PITA to play these off the disc instead of off the Wii's HDD, considering I already have then downloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back