Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how people are getting this at TRU with the Gift Card, the Toys R Us here had a sign in the game department listing which games qualified, and Mario Allstars was clearly not on it.

And to those of you who bought multiple copies, good luck trying to sell them, you ain't gonna make a dime of profit since all of you hoarders had the same idea and will flood the market.

[quote name='joshnorm']It was the same way with Metroid Prime Triology. Everywhere had them but then when they were gone it was gone.

Yea, so it looks like the supply is there now I will be curious to see if it will be depleted and then restocked or if it will be a shipment or two then nothing else.

I doubt it but who knows[/QUOTE]

And that didnt happen overnight. For a while Metroid Prime Triology was $20 at best buy and just about every store had them.

[quote name='spmahn']Not sure how people are getting this at TRU with the Gift Card, the Toys R Us here had a sign in the game department listing which games qualified, and Mario Allstars was clearly not on it.

And to those of you who bought multiple copies, good luck trying to sell them, you ain't gonna make a dime of profit since all of you hoarders had the same idea and will flood the market.[/QUOTE]

I hope the hoarders/flippers/resellers get burned as much as the next guy, but I think in the near term this might go the way of typical Nintendo "sold out everywhere/hard to find" items (particularly the notorious Nintendo hot item shortages around the holidays). I haven't looked at eBay prices, but I suspect most resellers will make a little bit of profit over the next couple of weeks...I could see asking prices/Buy It Now on this at $50-60 with copies actually selling for $40-45, then with the market becoming further and further oversaturated, prices plummeting after the holidays. Not as if that's really making any money, but for most flippers/ebayers making roughly minimum wage flipping beats working a minimum wage job.

I doubt this will be anywhere near as limited a print run as Metroid Trilogy though.

[quote name='spmahn']Not sure how people are getting this at TRU with the Gift Card, the Toys R Us here had a sign in the game department listing which games qualified, and Mario Allstars was clearly not on it.

And to those of you who bought multiple copies, good luck trying to sell them, you ain't gonna make a dime of profit since all of you hoarders had the same idea and will flood the market.[/QUOTE]

Its in the weekly ad.
Clearly shows that allstars is part of the 5 / 25giftcard deal

[quote name='62t']And that didnt happen overnight. For a while Metroid Prime Triology was $20 at best buy and just about every store had them.[/QUOTE]

I understand and I agree but people can't just assume that its here now so its not rare or is going to be rare.

I am sure there are plenty of stories like that (Tron DVD being bought for $10 now selling for $60 due to it being "rare")

You can also assume that when it goes out of print/becomes harder to find it will go up in price since its Nintendo published title. Look at Super Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, Mario 3 v 3 Hoops for the DS. They aren't readily available (I know Toys R Us has some still but other stores not so much) and are being listed for a premium now. Were they available when it was first published fuck yes its Nintendo is it hard to find now sure

amazon.com has none in stock ... it's through tigerdirect. Just to correct the first post on this page.

Also I agree I'm going to buy one for myself and one to hold until later through tru. I believe it'll end up rare later maybe not so much now. You have to figure if this is the only print run those copies in the store are going to eventually dry up and then the price online will increase.

Take tetris DS for example ... yes easy to find at first but now look at the prices for them new.

[quote name='joshnorm']I understand and I agree but people can't just assume that its here now so its not rare or is going to be rare.

I am sure there are plenty of stories like that (Tron DVD being bought for $10 now selling for $60 due to it being "rare")

You can also assume that when it goes out of print/becomes harder to find it will go up in price since its Nintendo published title. Look at Super Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, Mario 3 v 3 Hoops for the DS. They aren't readily available (I know Toys R Us has some still but other stores not so much) and are being listed for a premium now. Were they available when it was first published fuck yes its Nintendo is it hard to find now sure[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between being rare and out of pring/hard to find. I don't know why people say this game is going to be "rare", if anything it's going to be hard to find and if you get Joe Schmoe to pay $100 for what ever godly reason, then he is an idiot too.

Please people, stop calling games like this rare or saying its going to be rare. For example, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Fortune Hunter Edition, that is rare and wasn't sold in stores.

You know what's funny? If you look at the * fine print and the snow flakes (near Mario), then Super Mario All-Stars are included in the $5/$25 Gift Cards. Problem Solved :D

101210_30_3h5rn.jpg

[quote name='skiizim']There is a big difference between being rare and out of pring/hard to find. I don't know why people say this game is going to be "rare", if anything it's going to be hard to find and if you get Joe Schmoe to pay $100 for what ever godly reason, then he is an idiot too.

Please people, stop calling games like this rare or saying its going to be rare. For example, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Fortune Hunter Edition, that is rare and wasn't sold in stores.[/QUOTE]

Isn't hard to find or unlikely to come across, well, rare.

"It's rare to find poo on the White House floor"

Not to nit pick but it is the same :D

Its not on the list but you do get a Mario limited gift card. I just bought 4 copies and got 2 gift cards.

[quote name='skiizim']There is a big difference between being rare and out of pring/hard to find. I don't know why people say this game is going to be "rare", if anything it's going to be hard to find and if you get Joe Schmoe to pay $100 for what ever godly reason, then he is an idiot too.

Please people, stop calling games like this rare or saying its going to be rare. For example, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Fortune Hunter Edition, that is rare and wasn't sold in stores.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. No way will this game be rare in the traditional sense. It will be rare in the way Final Fantasy VII is rare for the PSOne, but that rarity is really only based on the number of people who are willing to part with it (which tends to help keep the price higher than it should be).

This one will certainly not be rare. We're not talking about Earthbound or Space Channel 5 Part 2 for the DC; those games were incredibly rare because they were published in such small numbers.

It's interesting to see so many people jump on an item merely because it claims itself to be "Limited" -- this is limited in the way Disney limits its print-run of its movie titles. I'm sure Nintendo won't send this to the printer again. It's almost certainly a one-run, albeit probably one-run of several million copies.

I'd suspect the game will hold its MSRP regardless whether its open or new in the next 3-5 years. Then again, if Nintendo ever decides to make these available via its VC, then we'll probably see something akin to what happened with Rez for PS2, Super Puzzle Fighter for PSOne, and MvC2 for DC -- prices scaling back considerably.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Its in the weekly ad.
Clearly shows that allstars is part of the 5 / 25giftcard deal[/QUOTE]

While I agree that the ad is deceptive, and they SHOULD honor it based on that, if you really look at it, it's obvious that Mario Allstars is not included. The games that are part of the sale are all listed underneath, with small pictures, and they're all Third Party / Shovelware titles, while Mario Allstars is shifted way off to the left hand side. I can see how it might be confusing, but Mario is definitely not part of the sale.

I was on the fence about this, thinking I'd be able to get it when it released if I decided to. I see the price on Amazon has gone from 28.49 to now over $55. I heard the manager at Gamestop telling a guy yesterday that his only chance at getting a copy was to be there at midnight on release day.
It turns out I was right though. I decided to get it for my nephew for Christmas. It's still in stock on NewEgg with no tax and free shipping at 29.99.
What's the big deal about?

Yes, please, people that are saying that the deal works despite what the ad and signage says need to post more details. Manual override? Or it all worked smooth and automatically?

NO blast processing, WILL NOT BUY!

:D

Pumped for this game, $10 coupon prints for next game purchase at Kmart. Expires 1.29.11 and no arguing except to try to get the braindead employess to actually stock the game cases.

I love people seeing copies of the game in stores today (the 1st day it's available) and saying, "SEE! SEE! IT'S NOT RARE!". Simple minds.

Everyone else: Buy it while you can. Maybe it'll be hard to find, maybe it won't be. Experience says this will at the very least sell for MORE than retail price once supplies are gone. You can't say that with most games these days. It won't be like a $150 Demon Souls Limited or a $200 Pokemon Box...but it probably will get up to $40-50 in a few months.

This game isn't worth an investment...but for those of us who actually want to PLAY the game...why pay $50 later when you can just pay $30 today?

Thanks for the heads up. I went to best buy this mornng. The only thing was they had these anti theft cable around the box. These IMO scratch the box. It is a small gripe but still.

When I asked if they had any ones in the back they said they were all cabled.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yes, please, people that are saying that the deal works despite what the ad and signage says need to post more details. Manual override? Or it all worked smooth and automatically?[/QUOTE]

Its automatic at the register.

It isnt on their little generic print out/list thats taped to the wii glass case where they keep the games at.
But it IS part of the deal. As the ad shows and the registers ring up correctly.

Went around noon and the place was packed. They didnt have allstars on the shelf.
They were bringing them out 1 at a time.... hiding them behind the register.

I Got 2 and the old lady in front of me bought 2 also and we both automaticaly got the 25.00giftcard

They also had a big endcap display all in red showing the bnew mario limited edition game.
I would guess they would be sold out by the end of the day pretty easily.
If they actually kept them on the shelfs for people to SEE they would sell even more/faster

They had 1 guy trying to help 20 people... I'm not use to lines thanks to amazon/online shopping the past few years.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yes, please, people that are saying that the deal works despite what the ad and signage says need to post more details. Manual override? Or it all worked smooth and automatically?[/QUOTE]

When they scanned my copy, "PROMO" appeared on the register and the clerk said, "Oh, and you get a $5 gift card as well".

You guys won't believe this. Just picked up my copy today. Really nice except they taped a piece of paper over the artwork so the back got a little ruined. That's what you get for pre-ordering. But anyhow now that it is opened it won't be worth much.

Anyhow here is the incredible part they had 41 on shelf. Not bad for limited. He said they were not getting any more however. That is it looks like. So I'm glad I pre-ordered. This was BESTBUY buy the way.

I went by my local TRU store at 3 pm this afternoon. They had no line in electronics and plenty of copies. Thus, I got two copies and a $25 gift card with no trouble at all. Glad I didn't bother to preorder.

OMG, it's "teh rare" for the win!

Last edited by a moderator:
picked up the only non-preorder copy earlier today when I traded some games in to GS for the 50% more deal. Buy all three on the VC and it's like $23. For $6 more I get a soundtrack and a booklet! SCORE!

Plus it's nostalgic for me as I grew up on the entire SMB series!

Damn, headed to TRU now! Damn near b1g1f, can't beat that! I've got a copy coming for myself from Amazon, these 2 will go to my niece and nephew who are each getting a Wii for Christmas. They can't share ANYTHING dumb kids.....

Any expiration on the GCs?

[quote name='$hady']Damn, headed to TRU now! Damn near b1g1f, can't beat that! I've got a copy coming for myself from Amazon, these 2 will go to my niece and nephew who are each getting a Wii for Christmas. They can't share ANYTHING dumb kids.....

Any expiration on the GCs?[/QUOTE]

Mine says promo gift card expires 7/31/11. card valid 6 hours after activation.

My amazon order hasn't shipped yet for some reason; still says it'll be here on the 15th though. I got the last copy at GS this morning. Looks like I'll be keeping a sealed copy, and maybe in 10 years, it'll be a couple hundred.

[quote name='slothsd']Mine says promo gift card expires 7/31/11. card valid 6 hours after activation.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, making sure it would be alive long enough to take advantage of another game deal since I don't buy toys. ;)

Actually its 30 cuz you can't buy just 100 points. Anyhow my Super Nintendo looks much better. The wii version stays centered and doesn't fill the screen. And I hate you can't save what ever level your on, only the world like world 1. But you can't save like 1-1 or 1-2. You have to start all over from world 1-1 and go back to 1-2. I thought I remember it being fixed in the Super Nintendo version. Oh well looks like it will do for now.

BTW sealed copy might be worth maybe 200 in 10 years like somebody said. But once I've opened it and start playing it won't be worth much right even 10 or 20 years from now right? Or just just the bonus soundtrack cd or whatever it is called might be worth alone even alone if sealed? Or should I just open it and see what it is?

[quote name='0078265317']

BTW sealed copy might be worth maybe 200 in 10 years like somebody said. But once I've opened it and start playing it won't be worth much right even 10 or 20 years from now right? Or just just the bonus soundtrack cd or whatever it is called might be worth alone even alone if sealed? Or should I just open it and see what it is?[/QUOTE]

$200? Good luck, this is sort of like that rare, limited edition comic book, where everyone buys 2 copies, one to read, and one to keep mint, and it never ends up being worth anything, because now theres hundreds of thousands of mint copies in existence, and everyone who might want one has it.

There are VERY few video games out there currently worth more than their initial value, even sealed and never opened. Of those games, 99% of them are games from the 80's and 90's that either had a limited print run, or subsequently gained a larger or much larger following (Earthbound, FF7). These games are hard to come by brand new, because no one back then had the sense to buy an extra copy to sit on for 15 years. Mario Allstars is a rerelease of a rerelease of 4 games that have been rereleased countless times since their initial release. Even brand new, you'll never get more than 50 or 60 dollars out of this, which is still a decent profit for a 30 dollar game.

[quote name='confoosious']can we please stop discussing the semantics between hard to find and rare?

who gives a shit.[/QUOTE]

You've got to be the most negative poster on CAG. Why do you care what others are taking about? If you don't like it, don't read it.

On-topic: Grabbed 2 copies from TRU along with the $25 GC. Wasn't able to ascertain how much TRU had in stock. They were keeping all the copies in the back.

[quote name='Ardrid']You've got to be the most negative poster on CAG. Why do you care what others are taking about? If you don't like it, don't read it.

On-topic: Grabbed 2 copies from TRU along with the $25 GC. Wasn't able to ascertain how much TRU had in stock. They were keeping all the copies in the back.[/QUOTE]

my Toysrus said they got in 6boxes 8games per box. = 48 or 24cags that buy 2 and get 25giftcard.

And minus 2 from me, 2 from old lady and 2 from random girl in line that was buying it too.

Thats not a lot and they said no rainchecks since they were pretty sure they wernt getting anymore in.

Kmart got in 8 copies total and were sold out according to the electronics guy.

This actually reminds me of the PS2 shortages . Where tons of stores got the inital shipment and then didnt get restocked for weeks/months.
My bestbuy had 100 PS2s some others only got 20 etc.

But In this case. its suppose to be limited and at least from what the employees are saying they wont be getting anymore in. Unless maybe they have some lost inventory or slow shipping due to weather etc. It is snowing some places.

EDIT: Just checked it out on my MP3 player and it looks like shit. Going to work with it some more and see if I can make it look better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spmahn']$200? Good luck, this is sort of like that rare, limited edition comic book, where everyone buys 2 copies, one to read, and one to keep mint, and it never ends up being worth anything, because now theres hundreds of thousands of mint copies in existence, and everyone who might want one has it.
[/QUOTE]

This makes a lot of sense. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna enjoy my sealed copy any less.

[quote name='Ardrid']You've got to be the most negative poster on CAG. Why do you care what others are taking about? If you don't like it, don't read it.
[/QUOTE]

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you were The Boss. I guess you're allowed to express your opinion on what I comment on but I can't express my opinion that a discussion between two video game geeks about HTF vs Rarez is lame as shit.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']my Toysrus said they got in 6boxes 8games per box. = 48 or 24cags that buy 2 and get 25giftcard.
[/QUOTE]

The "back room" at my TRU is easily visible. I saw about 4-5 boxes. So probably 40 at my store too. (major metro area)

Just because it's in stock on launch day doesn't mean it will always be in stock.. of course you're going to find it on launch day. I did hear that they're only doing ONE shipment of it.. I seriously doubt that's the case, though.

[quote name='Scorch']Just because it's in stock on launch day doesn't mean it will always be in stock.. of course you're going to find it on launch day. I did hear that they're only doing ONE shipment of it.. I seriously doubt that's the case, though.[/QUOTE]

Right i remember Mass Effect 2 C.E. everybody had it launch day.
Those dried up very fast.

This is a limited edition I dont feel can print enough copies.

I mean Mario 1,2,3 and Lost Levels = $30.00 WOW

Almost everybody who owns a Wii wants this

[quote name='Scorch']Just because it's in stock on launch day doesn't mean it will always be in stock.. of course you're going to find it on launch day. I did hear that they're only doing ONE shipment of it.. I seriously doubt that's the case, though.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that there's really only going to be one shipment too. But amazon hasn't restocked or listed it as in stock soon or anything, which is suspicious.

Just picked up two copies with a $25 GC at TRU. Even if it ends up not being rare, I can gift the extra to someone.

Has Nintendo ever lied before about only shipping one shipment? Why are people calling bullshit on this? If I heard it from Gamestop, I'd call bullshit. But I've heard this from multiple retailers. Now, they all could be lying but it's never happened before.

[quote name='2DMention']Went to Best Buy and they had a bunch of them. Cost co had it for $26.99 and they had a ton too.[/QUOTE]

There's a 10% off coupon for BB through this weekend via rewardzone mobile text or mailer coupon - picked mine up for $26.99 too.

So, this game hasn't been reformatted for widescreen similar to Metroid Prime Trilogy?

More disappointment :(

Edit: 16:9 and 4:3 option. I understand that some people would want to play it closer to the original. Then again, I don't think the original version of SMB is in this anyways (it has the SNES version's updated graphics).

I just picked up 2 at my TRU with gift card. It automatically rings up with it. They had at least 2 cardboard boxes of these on the floor behind the counter, but no display for them. Now I regret preordering from amazon, but at least I cancelled my 2nd preorder in time.

[quote name='confoosious']Has Nintendo ever lied before about only shipping one shipment? Why are people calling bullshit on this? If I heard it from Gamestop, I'd call bullshit. But I've heard this from multiple retailers. Now, they all could be lying but it's never happened before.[/QUOTE]

when did nintendo say it was only one shipment? link?

Does Super Mario All Stars Wii support the classic controller or just the Wii remote?

If it supports the classic controller as well, I might pick up a black one while I'm out @ Kmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back