Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Collectordragon']Why is this item so popular? It's an overpriced unchanged port of a single SNES game. It's a terrible value when compared to things like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or even past Nintendo collections.[/QUOTE]For me, it's one word: nostalgia. To be specific, blind nostalgia. Is it a lazy port? Very definition of lazy. Is it over-priced? IMHO, most definitely. Truth be told, I would have much rather pay 50 bucks for this to be updated to modern standards, than to pay 30 for the product that was released, but regardless of all that, the bottom line is that this game was a huge part of my childhood, and I can be quite the sucker at times for nostalgia, even it be blind, as the case is here.

It's the same reason I purchased the Dino Megazord, even though I've only played with it once or twice (and I knew that going in), and it's same reason I find the Hey Dude theme enjoyable, even though I hated the show as a kid.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']These games are harrrrrd. Modern games have spoiled us by being too easy.[/QUOTE]If anything, the SNES "spoiled" us. Personally, I find the FC version of Lost Levels on the VC to be more difficult than what is found on the SNES version.

[quote name='fuchikoma']It's hard to tell the scale, but yes Amazon shipped my copy in a 3 foot long box.

71521782.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:shock:....:rofl:

[quote name='karkyco']Nice tags, FLOL:

confoosious fails, limited edition, omg teh rare, only 10 million printed, rare mario game?, sold out everywhere, super mario all-soldout, super mario all-stars, will never be rare[/QUOTE]

Where have I ever said this will be rare? I've repeatedly said it could be rare or not but either way I'm getting two copies. One to play and one for the collection.

Gotta love the tough guys and their tags.

[quote name='Drclaw411']for those of you in the area, here's one gamestop that already has it used:

http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/StoreSearch.aspx?sku=918051(GameStopBase)&return=%2fdefault.aspx%3fdsNav%3dNtk%3aTitleKeyword%257cSuper%2bMario%2bAll%252f-Stars%253a%2bLimited%2bEdition%257c1%257c&CCTest=1[/QUOTE]

This I don't get. Why would anyone trade it in already? Were tjeu completely unaware of what this title is? What's the TIV? $7?

[quote name='Diebythesword']And as expected corner of the artbook is scrunched because of the case, a lot are going to be like that.[/QUOTE]

yup mine too and even worse for some reason Costco decided to put price tags on the box even though they weren't on display since you had to bring the paper with the item number to pay and pick it up and it is impossible to take off without leaving marks on the box not to mention the residue. Oh well

so far, all these posts been talking about rarity. has anyone actually OPENED the game and played it? id like to hear opinions. im trying to look for a copy -_-

[quote name='Serious McMopy']If anything, the SNES "spoiled" us. Personally, I find the FC version of Lost Levels on the VC to be more difficult than what is found on the SNES version.[/QUOTE]

Sure it spoiled us, it spoiled us in mountains of fun.

how rare do you guys think this is going to be? thinking about grabbing another one. my best buy still has some in stock according to the site.

I'm finished with SMB and SMB2; going through every level without Warp Zones. On World 3 for SMB3.

Saving the hardest of them (Lost Levels) for last. I may go back to SMB3 for a "perfect" (no deaths) run. Used to do that on SMW quite often.

[quote name='david12795']so far, all these posts been talking about rarity. has anyone actually OPENED the game and played it? id like to hear opinions. im trying to look for a copy -_-[/QUOTE]

It's Super Mario All Stars. The data on the disc is 13MB.

Yup, mine came in that huge box too. They put some packing paper in also, but it was still a loose fit. The box came decently scuffed up, with noticeable wear on the edges.

Oh well, I blame Nintendo as much as Amazon on this. It's pretty short-sighted to not put some type of protection (at least a plastic wrap) for a "collector's" edition. If the ones at the B&M stores had blemishes too, there might have been some wear before it even got to Amazon.

You guys got the long ass box too?

When I saw this in my front door step I was like -> Hmm?

Only to realize that the package used was 10 times larger than necessary. But, can't complain because it did the job protection wise. Just kinda funny.

[quote name='antlp89']You guys got the long ass box too?

When I saw this in my front door step I was like -> Hmm?

Only to realize that the package used was 10 times larger than necessary. But, can't complain because it did the job protection wise. Just kinda funny.[/QUOTE]

I don't now about that; damn paper packaging inside the huge box scrapped off the gold on the "25". I think bubble wrap and a small box would have solved it.

[quote name='david12795']so far, all these posts been talking about rarity. has anyone actually OPENED the game and played it? id like to hear opinions. im trying to look for a copy -_-[/QUOTE]

I opened it. 17 years ago. And I played it.

It rules.

That being said, it was 17 years ago, and this is just a $30 emulation. Still, it's an awesome collection of games.

On the Wii, though, it's a strange bit of irony. Who would expect one of the greatest examples of "Old Nintendo" when they actually gave you a good deal to be reused as a "New Nintendo" half-assed attempt at value? If "Old Nintendo" was still around, these games would have been remade again just like they were remade 17 years ago.

[quote name='rpgfan']I wonder how long will it take before it becomes a gem/rare game. lol[/QUOTE]

If this thread is any indication, never. Everyone seems to be buying it & it's going to be a hot Holiday item for sure.

[quote name='rpgfan']I wonder how long will it take before it becomes a gem/rare game. lol[/QUOTE]

For these reasons, this will not be a title you could sell for more later down the road.

1) You can get all the titles on virtual marketplace for $21.
2) It is a direct port of Super Mario All-Stars. No enhancements. No reason to upgrade.
3) My Best Buy still has copies, which tells me they printed a ton of these to start off with. Even if they decide not to create more, there is still a ton out there.
4) All the people interested would have already bought a copy
5) Some of us still have the original carts; thus no benefit from owning this.

That said...I would only buy this if you never played all of these titles, as it is some of the best platforming ever.

It is a direct port (screens still show SNES buttons). IGN stated the extra non-game stuff wasn't that worthwhile. I watched the Giantbomb quick look and it told me this wasn't for me as there was zero improvement from the original cart, which I still own 3 of the titles still on my NES.

[quote name='Mafoofoo']My copy has been "processesing" in hayward for like two days.[/QUOTE]

an employee stole it (serious)

if it's still there after 3 business days, let amazon know... they'll call the hayward location, be like "wtf where is this package" and the hayward place will say "duh.... i dunno"... amazon will probably give them a day to find it, and if they don't they'll send you another one

I got that same long ass box from Amazon. :)

There are some scuffs on the Mario box, which is something I wouldn't have been nearly as anal about if I hadn't read this thread. LOL.

But the worst offender is those fucking "security stickers" on the top and bottom. No matter HOW carefully you unpeel them, you WILL take part of the box with you. My solution was to peel the top part of the sticker only, leaving the rest of the sticker the back (because it was going to peel away layers of the box otherwise), and then use a scissors to cut what was sticking out from the top. There's still an ugly sticker in the back, and on the bottom of the box (which I didn't bother to touch), but at least all the artwork/lettering/box coloring is still intact. Whoever decided to put security stickers on a paper box (Amazon? Nintendo?) deserves to be slapped upside the head.

I had a friend pick me up 2 at TRU since I didn't think my Amazon order was ever coming. He grabbed very nice looking ones at TRU with just the smallest scuffs on the sides.

Then I got home and my Amazon copy was there, in a bubble wrap mailer. Creased on the sides and dinged up a bit, but I'm really not that OCD.

(Yes, the extras are gifts.)

I'm not sure what to do about my copy. It's scuffed on the corners, has some blue specks on the back, and has a wrinkle running down the gold spine of the box. I'm the type of guy who keeps games in flawless condition and will check through multiple copies of various items- games or otherwise- to find one in perfect condition. But if Amazon doesn't have any more to send, I can't do anything, I reckon.

@Matt Young: Best bet would be to purchase one from a local B&M in the condition you desire then return the slightly lower than mint copy back in its place.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm not sure what to do about my copy. It's scuffed on the corners, has some blue specks on the back, and has a wrinkle running down the gold spine of the box. I'm the type of guy who keeps games in flawless condition and will check through multiple copies of various items- games or otherwise- to find one in perfect condition. But if Amazon doesn't have any more to send, I can't do anything, I reckon.[/QUOTE]

You can always send it back and get a refund. :D Let us know when you do that so we can grab your copy. :lol:

[quote name='Luketaru']Best bet would be to purchase one from a local B&M in the condition you desire then return the slightly lower than mint copy back in its place.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha! Maybe Target will do it for me because they're the one who puts spider wire too tight!

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm not sure what to do about my copy. It's scuffed on the corners, has some blue specks on the back, and has a wrinkle running down the gold spine of the box. I'm the type of guy who keeps games in flawless condition and will check through multiple copies of various items- games or otherwise- to find one in perfect condition. But if Amazon doesn't have any more to send, I can't do anything, I reckon.[/QUOTE]

I contacted Amazon about my copy and they offered me a $6 refund because my copy came slightly damaged. If you can't find a pristine copy in your area try sending them an email and complain.

[quote name='Vegan']It's Super Mario All Stars. The data on the disc is 13MB.[/QUOTE]

WOW only 13MB. Who knew 13MB could be so much fun.

I guess I'm just one of the few lucky ones. Mine arrived in perfect condition -- medium sized box, shrink-wrapped on to a piece of cardboard. Now to debate if I should open it and play it, or just keep it here.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']Whoever decided to put security stickers on a paper box (Amazon? Nintendo?) deserves to be slapped upside the head.[/QUOTE]

Most electronic items nowadays have those from the manufacturer whether it's a new xbox, ps3, computer, bundled games all have it.

i try to use a utility knife/box cutter and cut between the slit, then slowly peel off the two pieces. if it starts taking some of the box with it as i peel it off, i just leave it on.

i only take off the top so it's easier to open the box, but i don't like 2 pieces of sticker being there. i usually just leave the bottom sticker though.

Best Buy tracking number finally updated. On its way...

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']If this thread is any indication, never. Everyone seems to be buying it & it's going to be a hot Holiday item for sure.[/QUOTE]

...and that means it's not going to become rare, how? :whistle2:?

If there is only the one print run, then some stores are already sold out of the only quantities they'll ever get. If Metroid Prime Trilogy is an indication (and it may not be), demand WILL go up some once it's not shelves any more. It may not ever be "rare," but the logic you use "everyone's buying" the finite number of copies that exist - seems to indicate the exact opposite of what you're trying to assert.

[quote name='0078265317']WOW only 13MB. Who knew 13MB could be so much fun.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I remember when the 165KB that would fit on Commodore 64 disks seemed like massive storage capacity for games, and when 837KB on Amiga disks was absolutely amazing. :lol: Honestly, in light of the kinds of games that would fit on a disc for those systems, I'm a bit baffled that these games need even 13MB.

[quote name='arcane93']Honestly, in light of the kinds of games that would fit on a disc for those systems, I'm a bit baffled that these games need even 13MB.[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet that the animated intro that shows up on the Wii dasboard is the majority of those 13MB. ;)

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd be willing to bet that the animated intro that shows up on the Wii dasboard is the majority of those 13MB. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah! It probably is! :lol:

[quote name='arcane93']Haha, I remember when the 165KB that would fit on Commodore 64 disks seemed like massive storage capacity for games, and when 837KB on Amiga disks was absolutely amazing. :lol: Honestly, in light of the kinds of games that would fit on a disc for those systems, I'm a bit baffled that these games need even 13MB.[/QUOTE]

I sort of can't believe that the 8 and 16-bit games were the sizes they were. I mean Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are both HALF A MEGABYTE! How the heck do you fit such big, fun, diverse, good looking games in half a megabyte?

Final Fantasy 6 was 4MB, on the big end of that scale! Mind blowing to me. I'm impressed now they can fit what they can fit in the Xbox's 6.8GB!

It is pretty amazing how simple the coding for the original Super Mario is. I mean nowadays in a typical freshman Computer Science course in college, the final is sometimes along the lines of "recreate a level similar to super mario".

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Best Buy tracking number finally updated. On its way...

...and that means it's not going to become rare, how? :whistle2:?

If there is only the one print run, then some stores are already sold out of the only quantities they'll ever get. If Metroid Prime Trilogy is an indication (and it may not be), demand WILL go up some once it's not shelves any more. It may not ever be "rare," but the logic you use "everyone's buying" the finite number of copies that exist - seems to indicate the exact opposite of what you're trying to assert.[/QUOTE]

Because the rarity is destroyed by the fact that there are millions of copies out there and people are buying multiples, one to open and one to play. Despite this hoarding, copies are still plentiful at many retailers. Yes, it will sell out at some point and likely won't be reprinted. But, that's the case with many, many games and most of those haven't been the subject of this level of speculation and double buying. These will be readily available on Ebay for many years to come and the supply in the secondary market will keep the price fairly low.

Just go to any local retailer selling the game, buy a minty copy, then return the flawed copy.

Here is how I see it. It is snowing in illinois where I am from. So buy the time I waste gas and what have you running around looking for copies and gift cards it is not worth it. And it mine wasn't mint anyway so I am probably thinking (especially after all the complaints here) Not many are going to be mint. By the time I find one to collect I will have spent more in gass and sh** than it is worth. And if it never goesup more than 50 or 60 not worth it. Plus it is snowing so if I have an accident not worth it. I'll spend more in repairs than I will ever proffit.

Even if I buy 100 copies at 40 a piece that is 10 per game proffit. So 10 x 100 is $1000. Unless I got toysrus but even BESTBUY had a 1 per ustomer limit. But anyhow when ever I see on ebay I rarely get full price. Plus shipping and listing fess.

So and a box like the mario size won't go easily in a padded envelope so I'd have to buy a box and wrap so it would be like 10 dollars just for that and there goes my profit.

Or charge extra for shipping but it is hard to calculate ahead of time. And nobody like to buy unless they know exactly how much they are in for. Plus even so lets not forget gas for running around looking for mint copies. Plus nobody will buy full price if not mint and has scratches or dents.

So it's not worth it. I already have the snes version at home. But I was excited cuz all the adds said new controls. So disappointing unless they ment wii remote and gc controller.

But still good as backup even though I prefer the snes picture quality better and not much difference even with hidef component cables. And those backup batteries in the arts were hard to resolder if it dies. I'm no good with soldering.

So Still worth tbe 30 in my opinioon. So I'll just use it and for what it is worth and if it never goes up oh well at least I had fun.

[quote name='karkyco']Just go to any local retailer selling the game, buy a minty copy, then return the flawed copy.[/QUOTE]

You can't because they will remember the copy they sold you not containing any dents and so when you try to return it they will say hey this is not ours. Ours did not have any dents when we sold it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back