Super Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition DLC Out Now & Retail Disc Out Now!

[quote name='MtlTom']GGs last night to Guardian, awwjayzin, TooLate, joe, & Kensei in SSFIV & HDR last night. Had a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

Good games, man. Lots of fun, as always. Missing Shinobi and co., though!

Morton-Coarse-Kosher-Salt_056FC9E8.jpg

My wife is going to give this to me for Valentines Day. After about 3 years of practice I'll be ready to get my ass handed to me by you guys. ;) No, really, I'll try to get in some online games with CAGs, but I'll need a little time so it isn't too embarrassing.

[quote name='GuardianE']Good games, man. Lots of fun, as always. Missing Shinobi and co., though![/QUOTE]

I missed being there with you guys. January close fell on a Wednesday night. Didn't even get home from the office until 9:30 pm (wah wah, right?). Anyway, I have all Tuesday night dedicated for MvC3. We need to pop that 8-player lobby achievement pronto!

I got my copy of the game and I'm really struggling with performing the super and ultra combos, I believe they are called. I'm playing as Ryu for now and I can't perform them with even the remotest of consistency. In 20 attempts I might get it work once, and that's only in the practice, not in an actual game! >:whistle2:O

Really I can't perform nearly any of the moves consistently other then the basic attacks. I'm using a HORI HRAP EX-SE, but that's not really seeming to help. I think maybe I just don't really understand how these are performed even though it looks obvious. So you press down and curve up to the right (or left, when on the right side) and then just do that again and then press a punch button (or all 3). Is that right? Do you do this in one motion (sort of circling) or are you suppose to pause at neutral in between?

Any tips anybody can provide would be most appreciated.

[quote name='crunchewy']I got my copy of the game and I'm really struggling with performing the super and ultra combos, I believe they are called. I'm playing as Ryu for now and I can't perform them with even the remotest of consistency. In 20 attempts I might get it work once, and that's only in the practice, not in an actual game! >:whistle2:O

Really I can't perform nearly any of the moves consistently other then the basic attacks. I'm using a HORI HRAP EX-SE, but that's not really seeming to help. I think maybe I just don't really understand how these are performed even though it looks obvious. So you press down and curve up to the right (or left, when on the right side) and then just do that again and then press a punch button (or all 3). Is that right? Do you do this in one motion (sort of circling) or are you suppose to pause at neutral in between?

Any tips anybody can provide would be most appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I started to type a lot, but I need to ask this first. Do you mean you're have trouble doing just Supers/Ultras or "special" moves like Hadokens and Shoryukens too?

And to answer your question for real. Yes, when you are doing two Quarter Circle Forwards for a Super or Ultra you do go neutral after the first QCF. It just takes some practice. Slowly do the double QCF until you are comfortable in training. You have an EX-SE so you have Seimitsu pushbuttons. They are a bit heavier than Sanwas, so I'd say watch you inputs in training to see if you are really hitting them all at once for your ultras.

Add me to play sometime. I'm not that great at this game, but I have put a lot of time into it and wouldn't mind sharing what knowledge I do have of the game.

GT: TooLateForRoses

Pretty much all of it, though I can do the single quarter circle one fairly reliably. I struggle even with that power uppercut attack (I can't remember the names) where you make a Z shape, though certainly I have more luck with that then the super and ultra combos. The main one is the super and ultra that have you do that quarter circle twice. Can you pause a long time in-between them or do you have to be fast? That was real unclear and so I kept trying to do it very fast. Plus I inevitably end up jumping by accident.

[quote name='crunchewy']Pretty much all of it, though I can do the single quarter circle one fairly reliably. I struggle even with that power uppercut attack (I can't remember the names) where you make a Z shape, though certainly I have more luck with that then the super and ultra combos. The main one is the super and ultra that have you do that quarter circle twice. Can you pause a long time in-between them or do you have to be fast? That was real unclear and so I kept trying to do it very fast. Plus I inevitably end up jumping by accident.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, man. You're not alone. Everyone struggles with the double quarter circle motions (QCF) the first time they see them. You just have to build the muscle memory for it.

I know it sounds really obvious, but you're pressing the stick too wildly if you're jumping while trying to do it. Take a second to actually look at your hands while you're doing the motion. A lot of times, you won't realize how erratic your motion is unless you see it. Also make sure to turn on Input Display in Training Mode, so you can actually see what directions you're pressing.

SSFIV has input shortcuts. While you should work on execution so you go neutral between the QCFs, you can "cheat" by running the the stick in an arc from down to forward, then rolling to down, then rolling to forward again. You want to make sure you press all three punch buttons when the stick is in the Forward direction though, otherwise the input shortcuts will read an EX-Shoryuken.

As for the Shoryuken motion, the easiest way to think about it is doing a QCF immediately after walking forward. You walk forward ->, then roll from Down to DownForward, and hit the punch button. That will at least allow you to get the motion consistently so you can work on doing it without exaggerated motions.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it another shot tonight. One thing I noted is that RB and LB buttons (it's an 8 button stick) are shortcuts for LMH punch and LMH kick, so I could just press those instead of trying to hit all 3 at once. Or at least I think that's what they were mapped to. Need to double check.

I really need to go back to this game, but I have that problem with many titles thanks to the great deals on CAG. I'm posting here more to remind myself than anything, heh. Crunchewy, if you want, send me a friend request. I remember playing Animal Crossing with you on the Wii.

Yes. I put a lot of hours into AC:CF and had a lot of fun with it. I should fire up that game again some day.

Anyway, I'll add both of you. I hope some day to be able to survive more then 10 seconds versus either of you. :)

I got my ass kicked when I tried versus and I haven't played the game since May 2010, so I'm quite sure you'll beat me handily. As for AC, I sold my Wii and later re-bought the system, but I don't have it in me to buy and start that game up again. But the next installment, I'm all in!

Hey guys, I work late into Thursdays right now, so I come home around 1:30p Eastern. Do you guys tend to play around this time, or it is mostly west coast players.

I finally got back to this game after my first feeble attempt, and those tips definitely helped, especially the shortcut... at least in training. I still couldn't do the ultra combo and such in an actual game. I guess I'll get it eventually.

Mostly I did better because I switched to the easiest difficulty level. :) But while I got to vs. Rival (Ken), Ken keeps kicking my ass. What am I supposed to do when I'm backed into a corner and Ken keeps knocking me down, and every time I get back up he knocks me down again... and again.... and again. Nothing I tried got me out of that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I finally got back to this game after my first feeble attempt, and those tips definitely helped, especially the shortcut... at least in training. I still couldn't do the ultra combo and such in an actual game. I guess I'll get it eventually.

Mostly I did better because I switched to the easiest difficulty level. :) But while I got to vs. Rival (Ken), Ken keeps kicking my ass. What am I supposed to do when I'm backed into a corner and Ken keeps knocking me down, and every time I get back up he knocks me down again... and again.... and again. Nothing I tried got me out of that.[/QUOTE]

Block?

I hadn't played this game since last May. According to the in-game timer, I'd put in 16 hours. Most of that was Endless Battle with CAG friends. I just wanted to pop it in again to see if the 3DS version would be a worthy purchase for me. I don't play fighting games much since I suck.

Next thing I knew, 4 hours had passed. Playing a bunch of ranked matches, I realized that I can really enjoy this game. I also realized I like the analog stick/regular controller a lot more than the 6 button SFIV controller and the d-pad.

Like I said, I suck... and I can pretty much only play as Ryu. But it would be nice to play this with CAGs. Same with MvC3. I've only put a few hours into that.

Is it confirmed to be disc release only? Or could it be DLC and Disc release at the same time?

If it's disc release only, I might not be buying it day one unless there's a decent price reduction. I completely supported the SFIV->SSFIV conversion, but I think this is a bit too much.

I think releasing a disc version of AE is a smart move for Capcom. However, if it's just a disc release it's counteracted into a really stupid move. I won't be buying it if that's the case, and everyone I've talked to about it agrees.

It should be DLC. I think Capcom is smart enough to realize that most people feel the same way and it's the best thing for business.

[quote name='KingBroly']So guess what's getting a disc release? That's right, Arcade Edition.
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/ClassifiedWorks/F4058F2F4C95E47C80257861003B89B8

So angry.[/QUOTE]

This better be $20 or less. Hell I think it should be $10 just because they said multiple times there would be no more SF4 disc versions (LIES LIES LIES!).

Oh well can't say I'm not gonna buy it, but now I'm stuck with two versions I'll never play again once its released.

I will buy AE in any iteration possible.

I am a sheep.

Most of my time goes into playing Street Fighter. It may be over priced for the same game, but when it is all I play I'll gladly buy any update they put out.

Here's what I see happening....

- SSF4 AE released as DLC for existing SSF4 owners. Re-balancing available for free along with the ability to fight DLC character. New characters (the twins, E. Ryu, Oni) released at a premium. Priced $10-20.

- SSF4 AE disc release ala RE5: Gold Edition, or most GOTY edition releases. Includes SSF4 game with AE DLC already on disc. Potentially includes all alternate costumes released to this point or possibly an all-new set of costumes. Priced between $20-30.

Does anyone else here still play Super? I am too terrible at MvC3, even on a casual level, i just get bodied. I play Chun Li alot now, so tired of Ryu. Someone hit me up sometime plz.

[quote name='Matt Young']See my post on the last page, John Quincy. ;)[/QUOTE]

I see you don't have CAG FIGHTER IV added. Does that mean your FL is still maxed out? If so what is your alt? I'll msg you sometime to see if you want to play.

The only way I won't play this game is if Capcom decides to do some crazy shit like patch out 30% of Balrog's health. :cool:

I'm actually thinking about playing Seth more seriously when AE comes out. Some of his nerfs are really bad but his health and stun buff seem like they'd really help him. Plus I heard AE is all about RTSD.

^

Rush That Shit Down

Which i think is only appropriate for like yun since his dive kick is way to quick to react to. I still think AE is very much a controlling space/footsie game. Its not like every character is mag from marvel 2.

[quote name='naiku']^

Rush That Shit Down

Which i think is only appropriate for like yun since his dive kick is way to quick to react to. I still think AE is very much a controlling space/footsie game. Its not like every character is mag from marvel 2.[/QUOTE]
Yep, nailed it.

I've read a lot of comments from a lot of top players that they feel it's a much more offensive based game compared to console SSFIV. I wish I had an arcade that I could play it at :cry:.

[quote name='naiku']^

Rush That Shit Down

Which i think is only appropriate for like yun since his dive kick is way to quick to react to. I still think AE is very much a controlling space/footsie game. Its not like every character is mag from marvel 2.[/QUOTE]

A lot of characters were given more offensive tools. And considering that the physical characters got buffs (Makoto, Fei Long), and the projectile characters are substantially less effective (Ryu, Guile), there is certainly an emphasis on rushdown vs. zoning.

It's also supposed to be horribly imbalanced, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dragilores']I am on the ps3 version tho[/QUOTE]

You'll have trouble finding XBL players on PSN.

I have the PS3 version as well and would be willing to throw down some time.

PSN - TooLateForRoses

bread's done
Back