Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

J7., on 26 Apr 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 4/5

- Damn it's 1 day off the 37th anniversary of its theatrical release.
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 4.25/5

A little better than the original. WTF the Bluray does not have any special features. FU George Lucas.
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 4/5

The end is the best part, except maybe the additional scenes which seem a bit too perfect technically compared to the rest.

Yeah. I liked Episode III the most from the recent ones. The younglings line in it was kind of funny.
How would you rate each episode?

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 1 had some cool parts (Podracing, Darth Maul), but the story was extremely weak and most of the middle of the movie existed solely to introduce Anakin.

Episode 2 had a much stronger story but a handful of re-arranged plot elements and a horrible B plot love story between Anakin and Padme marred an otherwise decent film.

Episode 3 had a great story and some nice action pieces, but was once again marred by the Anakin/Padme love story and a refusal to have a CGI Palpatine fighting Mace Windu.

Also, if you can track down the Genndy Tartakovsky Star Wars: Clone Wars miniseries, they act as a bridge between Episodes II and III, particularly the last short, which shows what happens during the prologue scroll of Episode III.

J7., on 26 Apr 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 4/5

The end is the best part, except maybe the additional scenes which seem a bit too perfect technically compared to the rest.

How would you rate each episode?
In a scale of 1-10,

I: 6 Darth Maul, Obi Wan Kenobi, and Qui-Gon Jinn ftw

II: 6.5 for some cool fights and Obi Wan taking a larger role in the main story.

II. 7 for taking it to the next level. It was too serious though.

I think that they traded some elements from the first trilogy around too much without balancing them. For example, the adventure and journey element keeps decreasing as the episodes progress and the intensity of the fights increase as the episodes progress. They're unbalanced, but if you focus on their better qualities, then they aren't so bad.

I have to agree, the refusal to put the original theatrical cuts of the films leads me to have no interest in ever rewatching them. The special cuts or whatever they are called are not good.

Was never a huge Star Wars guy so I don't really care but you'd think all the money they could grab they would take. Maybe Disney now that they own them would eventually just release the original unaltered movies before Episode 7.

I never really minded the SEs. Some of the changes like Greedo shooting first were awful. But I like the updated special effects etc. For the most part I just ignore crap like Greedo, so I'm not sure I'd buy the orginal versions if they put them out. I seldom re-watch movies anymore anyway, so I've cut my buying way back.

August: Osage County 4.5/5

The Wolf of Wall Street  3.5/5

The Secret Life Of Walter MItty  3.5/5

August: Osage County is my favorite movie so far this year.  The Wolf of Wall Street isn't bad if you remember going in that it's a comedy.  The Secret Life of Walter Mitty I found relaxing.  Not great, but decent and I personally have always liked Ben Stiller.

I would love to own the original Star Wars trilogy on blu ray but I refuse to buy those shit special editions.  All the garbage they added doesn't fit at all.  Putting crap CGI together with real sets makes it look awful.  I don't mind cleaning up the picture, the cleaned up shots of Luke driving the speeder in Episode IV look way better.

Also the small changes are ridiculous as well.  Changing Obi Wan's dragon call was unbelievably stupid.

Dallas Buyers Club - 4.25/5

I know it may have destroyed the movie,
but I would have preferred that they did not add the fictional characters of Rayon and Dr. Eve Saks. I would have like to seen what really happened to Woodroof.

Based on your feedback I'll probably give EP 1-3 a shot if I see them aired on tv.

I am curious if Lucas didn't alter the Han/Greedo scene if the Special Editions would be as railed against.
I watched the original trilogy a few times when I was very young and again about 15 years ago maybe. I don't remember the who shot first scene, but seeing it now I prefer that Han does not shoot first. Han is already too self-absorbed and a bit of a douche so him not shooting first actually redeems his character somewhat. Really, I didn't find Han to be a good character at all in the movies, even if he is a smuggler.

That's exactly why Lucas made the change, but I feel like the Death Star battle was his redemption and the real start of his heroic path, so I don't like the change.

Gravity. I liked it more than I was expecting since I'd heard mostly disappointed views on it from friends. Wish Netflix or Redbox rented 3D Blurays though as I'd have liked to see it in 3D but dint know that I liked it enough to buy it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 3/5 - Watched the prescreening last night. I don't think the movie look terrible. Electro is kinda look like Mr Freezer. And there's no ending scene.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:

Excellent film with an great cast. Lee Marvin was just excellent as Liberty Valance. The film also had really emotional ending.

That's exactly why Lucas made the change, but I feel like the Death Star battle was his redemption and the real start of his heroic path, so I don't like the change.
I don't feel that him helping out in the battle is redemption. Even if it wasn't for self-serving reasons. Han shooting first happens after the battle as well. I could see greater redemption if it had occurred beforehand.

Congrats. You and Harrison Ford think alike.
What did he say?

I don't feel that him helping out in the battle is redemption. Even if it wasn't for self-serving reasons. Han shooting first happens after the battle as well. I could see greater redemption if it had occurred beforehand.

What did he say?
He shot Greedo before the Death Star battle.

Fistful Of Dollars

25 minutes in I just couldn't finish it, too boring. But it's strange because I loved The Good Bad & Ugly.
That's because Yojimbo did it better! :rofl:

For a Few Dollars More is actually the best of the three. It doesn't get enough recognition IMO.

I don't see how Sergio Leone thought he was going away with copying Yojimbo. Every plot point is lifted straight from that film. Still a really good film though.

I don't see how Sergio Leone thought he was going away with copying Yojimbo. Every plot point is lifted straight from that film. Still a really good film though.
A lot of scenes are frame for frame too. Eastwood is great, but he just doesn't have the raw charisma of Mifune.

I still think that Unforgiven is Eastwood's best western though.

Amazing Spiderman 2 - 4/5

Much better than the first and Garfield's acting has improved. Didn't like Electro too much because the CGI was distracting.

^Just got home from the theater, opted for the 3D experience and it was very enjoyable. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to spidey or comic fans. I'm enjoying this series a lot more than Rain 's.

No, that was literally what Harrison Ford said when asked about the Greedo scene.
Oh. My bad. But I don't see how that means me and Ford think the same. He doesn't care. I said I felt Han wasn't a good person and felt it was better if he did not shoot first. Though now it does seem stupid that Greedo missed the shot from that short distance, but still better if Greedo shot first.

He shot Greedo before the Death Star battle.
Oops.

I watched the last half hour of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls yesterday on tv. They did blur out the nipples and butt cracks, but man were those boobs HUGE!  The fight scene at the end was hilarious, especially when everybody else got killed a few minutes earlier.

Roger Ebert wrote the screenplay? WTF!

The Thing from Another World:

Great film. I enjoyed it more than John Carpenter's remake. Both are great in their own ways though with the original having a better script ans the remake having great special effects;along with the hilarious scene where Wilford Brimley goes ape shit.

The 4 documentaries covering the West Memphis Three.

Paradise Lost - 4.5/5 

Paradise Lost 2 - 4.25/5

Paradise Lost 3 - 4.5/5

West of Memphis - 4.5

These were all 2nd viewings, originally I rated them 5/5. The movie Devil's Knot is coming out this week. Should be interesting, although it's got bad reviews.

Bad Country.. early 80s in Louisiana, about a mob guy who turns and works with a cop to take down the biggest southern mafia group.  It has Williem Dafoe, Matt Dillon and Tom Berenger in it.  Great movie 3.5 out 5.

Robocop 2014 - surprisingly lackluster, thought it would have had a decent amount of action. Not bad but not particularly good. It's different enough from the original to stand on its own two feet but unfortunately it's the definition of average.

Pompeii - my mum forced me to watch this with her, I thought it was shit.

Watched Oculus last weekend. Forgot to post. Really enjoyed the movie. Ending was...hit or miss depending on who you ask. Definitely a fun watch

Amazing Spiderman 2 - Very average, nothing special.  The entire movie felt like a build up for the next.  I must have been the only person looking forward to Rhino's scenes because his mech suit looked cool as shit, but they were totally halfassed.

No one should be forced to sit through a Paul W.S. Anderson film. About as bad as sitting through an Uwe Boll film.

Blasphemy! Mortal Kombat was awesome!
Actually just watched that for the first time since I was, like, eight. And Mortal Kombat Annihilation. And Street Fighter. And Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

It's been a strange week.

bread's done
Back