Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Three thumbs up for Book of Eli!

Saw it today and really liked it. Mila seemed out of place especially at the end but wasn't horrible. DEFINITELY a movie you'll want to see again after it ends........

Blind? That was awesome lots of stuff to pick out on the 2nd viewing.

Halloween 2 remake: blah :shame:

Hurt Locker was pretty good. As a war movie though, specifically as a war movie critics are hailing as a "classic", it doesn't hold a candle to Platoon.

Oliver Stone needs to fastrack that shit to Blu-Ray.

Hmm... Story wise FAIL like I predicted, Picture wise it will be in my Blu Ray collection just because of the pretty lights. They out did themselves in with computers. I had low expectations so it did slightly better than I thought. Some parts just really sucked though.
:cough:Last Samurai:cough: Also, I felt like I was watching a Halo movie. I still don't quite get what an avatar is still too.

I will probably be going to see it in 3D and treating my friend since they paid for me this time. I'm aiming for Captain EO although, I need to try something first before I knock it so that I don't become a troll too... :/

Finishing up the premiere episode of The Wire on DVD right now. Pretty dull, and has some of that late-90's over the top HBO stank to it, but I'm hoping it picks up.

[quote name='Labbo94']Finishing up the premiere episode of The Wire on DVD right now. Pretty dull, and has some of that late-90's over the top HBO stank to it, but I'm hoping it picks up.[/QUOTE]

It picks up. When I first started watching, the first..........6 episodes or so I just couldn't get into it. There's just a moment that it clicks and you suddenly find yourself in the 'just one more' syndrome, and then you've suddenly finished the season.

[quote name='chimpster1313']It picks up. When I first started watching, the first..........6 episodes or so I just couldn't get into it. There's just a moment that it clicks and you suddenly find yourself in the 'just one more' syndrome, and then you've suddenly finished the season.[/QUOTE]

I just started the 3rd season a few days ago. I'm not sure why I keep on watching it. It has some good characters and very intelligent writing but underneath it is still just another detective show.

[quote name='spoo']I just started the 3rd season a few days ago. I'm not sure why I keep on watching it. It has some good characters and very intelligent writing but underneath it is still just another detective show.[/QUOTE]

I just recently finished the 3rd season. I promise, the ending of this season is pretty surprising.

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes back to back last night. Glad to see it leaving the courthouse/office a little bit and on to the streets, which is 100x more interesting.

Just hard because the show is so old that even if it was great when it aired, most crime dramas have probably been ripping it off for so long I'm not giving it the respect it deserves.

Blow - This was pretty dull. The whole time I'm waiting for something more than just getting busted by the cops to happen. I guess I was expecting this to be more like Goodfellas. Paul Reubens was the best part.

[quote name='tcrash247']Blow - This was pretty dull. The whole time I'm waiting for something more than just getting busted by the cops to happen. I guess I was expecting this to be more like Goodfellas. Paul Reubens was the best part.[/QUOTE]Blow is one of my favorite movies

Just got home with Donnie Darko :br:, thoughts on that later...

Book of Eli - It was cool. It was slow, but not boring slow.

Legion - Mixed feelings. I wanted to like it, but I dont think I did.

[quote name='Labbo94']Finishing up the premiere episode of The Wire on DVD right now. Pretty dull, and has some of that late-90's over the top HBO stank to it, but I'm hoping it picks up.[/QUOTE]

The first 2-3 episodes are slow, it's all character intro. Once they get through that, the show picks up and it's like a fucking freight train until the very end.

I'm actually watching Oz on Netflix right now and it's scary how that show's cast made up the bulk of the core cast on both The Wire and Dexter. By today's standard, it's a tad hokey, but Oz was a critical milestone. Without it, I think some of the biggest shows (particularly on HBO and Showtime) wouldn't be the same if they even got made at all had Oz not existed to push the envelope.

Blackhawk Down - I think this was my second time seeing this. It remains pretty great although the cast is a bit distracting. Legolas, Obi Wan, and a million other well-known actors hurt the immersion.

Saw Legion last night and I have to say it has its moments. However them moments made me think of a Sam Raimi movie. Also when they were on the roof I expected someone accross the street to hold up a sign like in Dawn of the Dead. Hell I thought I saw Mr. Miyagi with a birthday hat on so they could have had the shooting game. I only wish this movie was to make money just so when people talk about it I can say it is the biblical version of The Terminator. However people only bitch about another movie using the same story as another when that movie makes money.

As for a movie that didn't suck before I went I started to watch preadator on AMC. I have to say that is still a good movie. I wonder how good the BD is of it.

Book of Eli - 3/5 - Starts pretty good where you get a good sense of survival. I wished there was more about the book and the power behind it.
I liked how they mentioned how the book could control the weak but sadly we didn't get to see any of that happen, not even a little. I guess the story is more about his quest to give the book to the 'west' but I just didn't find his quest to be that interesting.
Overall I didn't care for the ending.

Its hard not to compare the world of Eli and The Road. I felt like The Road did a much better job with how the world was portrayed. The Road had dirtier and darker environments which made the world a much more desperate place. The one major issue that bothered me with Eli was the color correction done. The world was pushed white and grey which looked nice. Some of the aerial shots in Eli are stunning but sadly there are not enough of them. The sky is my major gripe. It stands out..in the bad way. I am not sure if it was completely green screen but the contrast between the sky's color and the ground were pretty distracting in some scenes. Overall Eli is an enjoyable film. There is a decent amount of blood and gore which might make your girlfriend cringe, but after the 5th decapitation its hard not to feel like Denzel is a video game badass chopping up fools like War in Darksiders.

Miss March - 1/5 - God awful. I thought it was gonna be at least half as good as American Pie (which isn't that great). This was just terrible, it just wasn't funny.

Never got a chance to see The Road due to it not showing near me. I hear nothing but good about it though. I will check it out when it hits BD.

I did just get done watching Pandorum. I have to say I liked it. I didn't expect that much out of it but I thought it was really good. It was like someone had said on cag about it being a mix of Alien(s) and The Decent. I suggest if you are a fan of them types of movies you atleast check it out.

I got about an hour into The Hurt Locker before I turned it off. It was like a Hollywood director rounded up every Iraq War stereotype he could find and stuck them into a movie without consulting anyone that had ever even been in the military let alone Iraq. I also had a nice laugh at them playing Gears of War in 2004.

The Book Of Eli - Wasn't as good as I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. If you are a Denzel fan, you will probably enjoy this, otherwise wait for it to come out on dvd.

Has anyone seen that new flick with Harrison Ford? Can't remember the title right now for some strange reason, but it something about him curing some rare disease that children can have. It was supposed to be good but I didn't make it out to see it yet.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Has anyone seen that new flick with Harrison Ford? Can't remember the title right now for some strange reason, but it something about him curing some rare disease that children can have. It was supposed to be good but I didn't make it out to see it yet.[/QUOTE]

Extraordinary Measures. I am interested in what you think of it. I haven't read any review of the film but I did see it was made by CBS Films.
I am not sure if it was supposed to be a made for TV or maybe the script was for a CBS movie then they got some talent for it and released it ? Sorta interested if it has that TV movie feel to it.

[quote name='naiku']Extraordinary Measures. I am interested in what you think of it. I haven't read any review of the film but I did see it was made by CBS Films.
I am not sure if it was supposed to be a made for TV or maybe the script was for a CBS movie then they got some talent for it and released it ? Sorta interested if it has that TV movie feel to it.[/QUOTE]
Guess that explains the horrible trailers that made it look like the Hallmark movie of the week (the more recent trailers are better).

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The first 2-3 episodes are slow, it's all character intro. Once they get through that, the show picks up and it's like a fucking freight train until the very end.

I'm actually watching Oz on Netflix right now and it's scary how that show's cast made up the bulk of the core cast on both The Wire and Dexter. By today's standard, it's a tad hokey, but Oz was a critical milestone. Without it, I think some of the biggest shows (particularly on HBO and Showtime) wouldn't be the same if they even got made at all had Oz not existed to push the envelope.[/QUOTE]

Oz is still one of my favorites and it makes me smile every time I see one of the actors appear on another show. Exactly, before OZ HBO didn't really have a series that pushed the limits. It paved the way for Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, True Blood, etc.

I'll add to the love for Oz. It truly was the first show to push the boundaries, and it had an unbelievable cast. I own the entire run on dvd and still watch it every year or two.

[quote name='naiku']Extraordinary Measures. I am interested in what you think of it. I haven't read any review of the film but I did see it was made by CBS Films.
I am not sure if it was supposed to be a made for TV or maybe the script was for a CBS movie then they got some talent for it and released it ? Sorta interested if it has that TV movie feel to it.[/QUOTE]
The "TV Movie feel" seems to be the movies major complaint:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/extraordinary_measures/

I tried to watch the Hurt Locker but gave up after an hour. Too many inaccuracies and just silly things. I could go into them but most people would probably roll their eyes at them. It comes down to this, if they had one, just one former active duty member of either the Army or the Marine Corps look at the movie, they could've corrected several things just off the tops of their heads. I'm thinking of three at the moment and a couple other partials. There was a lack of attention to detail and that just smacks of laziness.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Oz is still one of my favorites and it makes me smile every time I see one of the actors appear on another show. Exactly, before OZ HBO didn't really have a series that pushed the limits. It paved the way for Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, True Blood, etc.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I found this gem from SNL.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Jerry-Seinfeld-in-OZ

Jerry, as always is as funny as a heart attack, but I'm shocked so many actors participated and they filmed it on the actual set.

Universal Solider Regeneration - 3/5 - Jean-Claude, Dolph Lundgren, and Andrei Arlovski fight eachother. How can this go wrong?! Dolph is the best thing about this film and sadly he is only in it for a short period of time. It starts off semi interesting where they build up Arlovski to be the baddest mofo around since he is a 'Series 7' Universal Solider. The motivation or reasoning for the story is pretty bare which left me bored and uninterested...but its a low budget direct 2 dvd film, who cares! The beginning of the film is by far the best. You get a pretty enjoyable action scene ~20minutes into the movie. the hand to hand looked good mainly because and Arlovski actually knows how to fight. The middle and end of the film feels like recycled generic action. nothing new, nothing too interesting. The nostalgia factor with Dolph & JCVD helps this movie a lot. I just wish some deaths were a bit more creative. There had to be at least 4 kills where a universal solider would get on top of a guy and punch down to the camera. It got old fast. I did find myself bored around the hour mark...which made the last 37 minutes drag on. This movie could have been so much better, I mean Arlovski has a freaking wrist blade straight out of Assassin's Creed but sadly its not used in any creative or interesting way, not a single creative kill with it. Such a disappointment.

I honestly thought it was a made for TV movie until just recently :lol:

Requiem for a Dream, finally. After watching Pi I figured I was in for something unique. Really enjoyed it, and the soundtrack was great.

This is England - Awesome, awesome movie. For those who don't know, it's about a young British boy who is adopted into a skinhead gang. A look into a very complicated culture that is very foreign to most Americans despite the shared language between the United States and Great Britain. It can be streamed off Netflix, well worth a viewing.

It's Complicated - Pretty good flick. Alec Baldwin was awesome as always and John Krasinski was really funny.

Monsters vs Aliens - fun movie and the kids liked it

Went to B-fest @ Northwestern for most of last night. B-fest = 24 hours of badmovies, I just stayed for the beginning which had most of the films I wanted to see.

Cripple Masters - 2/5 - one man without arms, another man without the use of his legs, kungfu masters. Definitely weird enough to pay attention throughout, definitely a straight up 80s chinese martial arts film. Something weirdly enjoyable watching a man without arms spin a bow around his missing limb and beat up people. Just weird and enjoyable.

Heart Beeps - 1/5 - by far the worst movie of the bunch @ b-fest. 2 robots go out into the forest and fall in love or some crap. Its god awful, randy quaid is in it & they have 'bags of beer' in the future...besides that its extremely dreadful. Its one of those movies that you watch just to see how much pain your friends can endure.

Gymkata - 2/5 - I had high hopes going into this one. It starts off just what I want, a man running about beating the crap out of people w/ Gymnastics & Karate. It becomes this weird tournament/race to save a town from a villain who uses 'The Game' to kill off competitors so he can marry the town's princess. There are some extremely unnecessary gymnastic moments to evade an enemies attack which lead to some quality laughs. Besides those moments Gymkata ended up not living up to the expectations I had going into it.

Plan 9 From Outer Space - 3/5 - Saw this 3 times in the past 366 days, last years bfest, this year & for riff traxs event. Its a classic, nothing much else to say. I need to stop seeing Plan9 that often because the night/day, bela/not-bela moments aren't as funny once u know exactly where they all are. Tor is still a badass.

The Room - 2/5 - Its painfully funny and by far the most enjoyable film at b-fest. I already seen it about a month ago. Its definitely a growing cult classic. I think I posted a review about how god awful it is, if not rent it on netflix. Watch it with friends.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii - 3/5 - boobs! One of the best films I saw last night. Drug dealers/diamond smugglers & attractive operatives in hawaii get into it. Girls find smuggler's diamonds, smugglers want them back. FBI/Law Enforcement dudes come in and help the girls, rockets are shot at a dude skateboarding....Oh and there is a hazardous snake on the loose which has been infected w/ cancer from rats. Yep...amazing.

Just saw Mighty Ducks for the first time. Awesome movie. Pretty sure my life would be very different if I had seen it 10 years ago...

bread's done
Back