Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='lolwut?']Thanks. You got those controllers for sweet prices.

Most pawns usually suck ass around here, or they overprice everything. That one has been good to me though, I also picked up Skate 2 on PS3 and one of the Harry Potter movies on Blu sealed for $45.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to only check EZ Pawn, but tried one that used to have overpriced games, and found they had finally lowered their prices, and they were also willing to bargain, at least one guy who I think was a new employee, haha.

[quote name='Coper3000']Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to only check EZ Pawn, but tried one that used to have overpriced games, and found they had finally lowered their prices, and they were also willing to bargain, at least one guy who I think was a new employee, haha.[/QUOTE]

EZ Pawn around here is a joke, an employee grabs all the games worth more than they sell them for.

In other news my local pawn got shut down by the ATF as I mentioned several weeks ago, now they are back open with out a pawn liscense, bascily just a high class buy sell trade place. sadly the owner had to let the old manager go because they were both in trouble with the ATF so he hired a new guy that is spot on with games, I havent found anything good since he started, and he told me that he has been taking alot of games home, thankfully he seems to only be into the 360 and PS2.

[quote name='Coper3000']Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to only check EZ Pawn, but tried one that used to have overpriced games, and found they had finally lowered their prices, and they were also willing to bargain, at least one guy who I think was a new employee, haha.[/QUOTE]

This is the worst, to me... it seems as soon as management changes at these pawns, prices either get a) extremely overpriced or b) incredibly underpriced.

One pawn here, every 1 or 2 months, fluctuates between the two - one month Mario Kart Wii, without the wheel, was $45 used... the next month, every game across the board was $10 - $15.

Went in recently, now they are back to $30 - $40 pricing for games.

Last night I picked up FF VII, Persona 2, Kartia, and Mega Man Legends 2 for $15. I was pretty happy with that. Kartia was a bonus, as it was in the Persona 2 case. :) No manuals, and MML2 and Kartia are disc only, but still a good haul I think.

...guess what I found at my pawn shop today??? around 100 PS3 controllers, tons of disc only PS3 games, tons of PSP mem cards, and alot more....can anyone say stolen?????

not quite gaming related, but I got the Firefly series today for $10.70 after tax and found the serenity DVD shoved in the package.

Nice find in one of my local pawn shops (EZ Pawn) today:

Call of Duty 4 (360) - $9.99
Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN) - $4.99

Both mint and complete!

Found a lot at Pawn Shops near Camp Lejune:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360) - $15.00
Ghostbusters (GEN) - $4.00
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (GEN) - $7.00
Xenosaga Sealed (PS2) - $5.00
Project Justice (DC) - $4.50

I found some more, but those were the standouts.

I stopped by a "pawn shop" that I don't get around to visiting very much yesterday. I say "pawn shop" because although they do pawn stuff it's more of a jewelry store, and a good bit more classier(scented candles abound) than your average pawn shop. You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that the owners are of the wine and cheese variety and can sometimes be a bit snoody.

Anyways, I get there and start flipping through some PSX games. A clerk comes up to me and says "weren't you just here yesterday?" "Umm... no?" "Oh, I must be thinking of someone else. There was this guy that came in yesterday and was really excited because they found some game we had...I think it was called Final Destination 7."

Ahh shucks. I did get Star Gladiator for $5 though for what it's worth. At another pawn I also managed to snag Oblivion GOTY(which was wrapped together with a standalone copy of Shivering Isles...?) for $15.

[quote name='eastshore4']I stopped by a "pawn shop" that I don't get around to visiting very much yesterday. I say "pawn shop" because although they do pawn stuff it's more of a jewelry store, and a good bit more classier(scented candles abound) than your average pawn shop. You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that the owners are of the wine and cheese variety and can sometimes be a bit snoody.

Anyways, I get there and start flipping through some PSX games. A clerk comes up to me and says "weren't you just here yesterday?" "Umm... no?" "Oh, I must be thinking of someone else. There was this guy that came in yesterday and was really excited because they found some game we had...I think it was called Final Destination 7."

Ahh shucks. I did get Star Gladiator for $5 though for what it's worth. At another pawn I also managed to snag Oblivion GOTY(which was wrapped together with a standalone copy of Shivering Isles...?) for $15.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry FF7 is only worth about $30 now thanks to the PSN re-release. It's not a colossal rarity anymore.

there was a yard sale down the street from the pawn shop and i got ff7, green label for 25 cents, went to the pawn shop with a bunch of techies, had them look it up, they gave me 35 for it =) i then got wolverine origins for the ps3 for 15 bucks

[quote name='RobMinhas']there was a yard sale down the street from the pawn shop and i got ff7, green label for 25 cents, went to the pawn shop with a bunch of techies, had them look it up, they gave me 35 for it =) i then got wolverine origins for the ps3 for 15 bucks[/QUOTE]

there ya go :applause:

[quote name='RobMinhas']there was a yard sale down the street from the pawn shop and i got ff7, green label for 25 cents, went to the pawn shop with a bunch of techies, had them look it up, they gave me 35 for it =) i then got wolverine origins for the ps3 for 15 bucks[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a pawn shop that is going to go out of business very quickly. FFVII is barely even worth $30 as a black label these days. GH copies are worth even less. There is no way that pawn shop will ever make money off of that.

I just entered the world of hardcore console collecting, and my local PS sold me a XaviXPort for $20.

Also grabbed BurgerTime and Dr. Mario for NES, and Toy Commander for Sega DC for$3 each. I love my PS.

Picked up Devil May Cry 1-3, Final Fantasy XII, Shadow of the Colossus, Armored Core 2, and Clock Tower 3 today for $42 total. Don't think I did too bad for myself.

Got a complete, excellent condition Little BigPlanet from a local pawn shop for $10 on Monday. It was marked at $15.95, but when I went to pay with my debit card, the guy at the cash register asked me if had $10 cash. I didn't, so I drove across the street to an ATM and got the cash. I had been looking for LBP for awhile, but was determined to not pay more than $20 for it.

[quote name='phoenix529']I just entered the world of hardcore console collecting, and my local PS sold me a XaviXPort for $20.[/QUOTE]

I had to look up what the hell that was, and I'm still not sure. The Wikipedia page is mostly in Russian.

Found a pretty sweet deal at the local pawn shop today -

Someone had traded in a ton of NES games, and for once, they all weren't shitty sports games. They were $1.99, cart only, all are in perfect shape (after my gf and I clean them) except for one which has label damage, but should be able to be repaired. We scored -

Bubble Bobble
Punch Out featuring Mr. Dream (this one has label damage on the top of the label.. a little tape and glue should fix it)
Dragon Warrior
Double Dragon
Kung Fu
Ikari Warriors
TMNT 2
TMNT 3
Blaster Master

Most of these go for $1 - $2 on Ebay, but after the shipping it's really like $4 to $5 per game, so walking out of there with 9 games for $19 and change imo is quite the deal. This is the only the second time in a long time I have seen decent NES games for sale.

[quote name='Roufuss']Most of these go for $1 - $2 on Ebay, but after the shipping it's really like $4 to $5 per game[/QUOTE]

ZOMG, is this an admission of gouging (loosely defined)?

[quote name='dfg']ZOMG, is this an admission of gouging (loosely defined)?[/QUOTE]

No, I think he was saying he didn't want to pay $4-5 per game, so he got a pretty good deal.

Hack Infection Mutation Outbreak Quarantine and Zone of the Enders second runner for 24. Also got a few odds and ends like KOTOR 1, Kill Switch and Riddick for 4 dollars each.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']24 each or all together?[/QUOTE]

24 for the first 4 alltogether. Usually its 4 bucks a game, but the shop clerk tried pulling the "They look like rare rpgs people may want so let me check online gig." I just offered him 6 dollars a piece or 24 out the door on the 4 .hack games. I made a mistake and looked at my receipt and realized I paid 3 each for the other 3 and zone of the enders second runner.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']24 for the first 4 alltogether. Usually its 4 bucks a game, but the shop clerk tried pulling the "They look like rare rpgs people may want so let me check online gig." I just offered him 6 dollars a piece or 24 out the door on the 4 .hack games. I made a mistake and looked at my receipt and realized I paid 3 each for the other 3 and zone of the enders second runner.[/QUOTE]

Nice, especially on ZOE.

Over the course of the week got :

Suikoden IV Ps2(5 dollars)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth PSP(5 dollars)
Arc the Lad End of darkness Ps2(5 dollars)
Tales of the world Radiant mythology PSP (10 dollars)
Star Ocean Second Evolution PSP (10 dollars)
Final Fantasy VII Crisis PSP (5 Dollars)

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I had to look up what the hell that was, and I'm still not sure. The Wikipedia page is mostly in Russian.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda like an early Wii, cartridge-based, with 32x-ish graphics. Real obscure, so I'm guessin people may hound after them in a decade. Kinda fun too

Got an awesome haul today.

They had just started putting out some N64 games and I asked for them before they were able to look them up and price them so they let me lump em in my lot for an extra 10 bucks!

I picked up:

N64
Super Smash Bros Melee (faded label, but I want to play it anyway.)
Super Mario 64 (faded label too, but just want to play it.)
Paper Mario (mint cartridge!) Don't care for the game, but how can you pass it up?

Game Boy Advance
Pokemon Sapphire!(cartridge)

Nintendo DS
Star Fox Command (C, and I do mean C, IB)

Gamecube
Metroid Prime (game and case) (I know, but again, want to play it.)

And the grand finale!!!

I picked up this:

ed39_35.JPG

No, that's not mine cause I don't wanna take pictures now, but mine did in fact come in that condition with all things pictured.

For a total of...

$30!!!

I love pawn shops...

Fun day,

I found MvC2 for Xbox1 for 8.99 (complete)
and Street fighter anniversary collection (disc only) $4

Not bad, esspecially since MvC2 is coming out on XBLA soon, nothing like have the original on the shelf :)

I posted a 360 controllers wanted ad on craigslist and ended up getting a response from the little 'swap shop' across the street from where I live. I got a nice condition official wireless controller for $5. I was happy, and then was even more pleased when I found rechargeable batteries in it.

Today was one of my best finds in years... Super Metroid complete with box and all the inserts for $20. Also, I got a mint copy of Power Stone 2 for the Dreamcast for a whopping $9!

Great finds by our standards, cloud, but they both seem a little high for my pawn shop. My local PS never charges more than like $5 for an SNES game, even in a box, and a couple bucks for Dreamcast games.

Edit: Post #200! And I haven't been here a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but this was at a Pawn America, and I've noticed that typically they will charge appropriately for some of their more rare games. This PA in particular is kinda ghetto though, and are often quick to slash prices for me when I don't even ask them to.

A few months back, I inquired about a stack of slim PS2's that they had for sale for roughly $40. Without even asking, he offered them to me for $20 and I bought out his entire stock. So I sold one, kept one, gave one to a friend, and the other was broken. But still... at that price, I was pretty excited.

Nothing too special this week so far. One pawn had mario kart wii w/ wheel for $25, but I still don't have a wii, and I don't think it's worth buying to flip anymore. At another pawn, I managed to pick up a Sega Game Gear with a bunch of games(a few sonic games, nba jam, and some others) plus the infamous tv tuner for $35. The GG works great, and there's quite a few manuals and other paperwork(including an old sonic fold-out poster). Guy gave me a free Saints Row game too!

[quote name='cloudmd23']True, but this was at a Pawn America, and I've noticed that typically they will charge appropriately for some of their more rare games. This PA in particular is kinda ghetto though, and are often quick to slash prices for me when I don't even ask them to.

A few months back, I inquired about a stack of slim PS2's that they had for sale for roughly $40. Without even asking, he offered them to me for $20 and I bought out his entire stock. So I sold one, kept one, gave one to a friend, and the other was broken. But still... at that price, I was pretty excited.[/QUOTE]

Some of my pawn shops do that too. They had Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest the other day on SNES, which you would think ignorants would put at the same price, but FF3 was $25 and MQ was $8, so sometimes eBay is their friend.

As for the PS2 lot, was that $20 each or altogether?

Yeah, I had to return the broken one, and the one I sold covered the cost for all three, so it was like I basically got a free PS2 for a friend and I, lol.

Another decent haul at the local pawn shop -

NES (all $2 each, all cart only)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Rampage
Super Spike V Ball
Goonies 2 (with manual)

Genesis (all $2 each, cart only)

Streets of Rage 1
Kid Chameleon

N64 ($3, cart only)

Banjo Kazooie (!!)

The NES finds are nothing special, but I remember Roger Rabbit and Goonies 2 from being a kid and at $2 even, it's better than $2 + overpriced shipping via Ebay, plus I get to see the condition before I buy. The manual with the Goonies 2 was a nice bonus.

The genesis games and Banjo was a find though, as Banjo is one of the few N64 games I want but haven't yet found. Grabbing it for $3 was a steal. I wish the Streets of Rage was part 2, but really, I won't complain for that price.

Also, my girlfriend's mom let her take some of the family's old NES games from back in the day when she moved in with me, so we picked up -

Strider
Legend of Kage
Baseball Stars
Tetris

[quote name='Doomstink']Sounds like a pawn shop that is going to go out of business very quickly. FFVII is barely even worth $30 as a black label these days. GH copies are worth even less. There is no way that pawn shop will ever make money off of that.[/QUOTE]

Actualy that is based on internet sales, there are still alot of people around here that never shop online, stores here can still get $50-$60 for GH copies, I think people are dumb, but that is the beauty of the system.

In other news the owner of the local pawn has a new girlfriend that talked him into selling all next gen games for $20 up from the original price of $10-$20 based on how long ago they were released... funny that most of them have stickers from the local game store that have 9.99 on them with the pawn shop marking $20 on the spines....how dumb do people get...she also talked him into dropping all pre PS2 games to $1 so I give her props for that, the only problem is most people dont want to sell them that low.

[quote name='cloudmd23']Today was one of my best finds in years... Super Metroid complete with box and all the inserts for $20. Also, I got a mint copy of Power Stone 2 for the Dreamcast for a whopping $9![/quote] GRATZ on the powerstone, that is well worth it weather you want to play it or flip it. one of my favorite games of all time.

Suikoden (PSX) - $4
Gauntlet (NES) - $3
Excitebike (NES) - $3
Dead Or Alive 2 (DC) - $3
Jet Grind Radio (DC) (Sealed) - $7

I also got the following NES games at a Goodwill for $2.99 each
Ghostbusters
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior II
Double Dragon
Alpha Mission
Castlevania II
Spider-Man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Suikoden (PSX) - $4
Gauntlet (NES) - $3
Excitebike (NES) - $3
Dead Or Alive 2 (DC) - $3
Jet Grind Radio (DC) (Sealed) - $7

I also got the following NES games at a Goodwill for $2.99 each
Ghostbusters
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior II
Double Dragon
Alpha Mission
Castlevania II
Spider-Man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[/QUOTE]

OMG, lucky find on Suikoden. Then again, I did find Digimon World 2 and FF7 GH at one pawn shop a few months ago, for $4 a piece.

bread's done
Back