Target offering $200 gift card for any iPad which can be used on anything in-store. YMMV.

Nope, cant pay for a prepaid with a GC (former employee here).

Also anyone know what time Target Mobile opens?
Actually, this isn't entirely true for this situation. While you cannot buy a Prepaid VISA at Target with a regular gift card, the gift cards issued when trading in electronics items in store are programmed as some type of prepaid Mastercard Gift Card even though they don't have a MC logo and probably will not work outside of Target. That said, I know from experience that a GC issued from an in-store electronics trade in can be used to buy a prepaid VISA GC and the register will not block it. Keep in mind that the largest prepaid VISA that Target sells is $100 and it has a $6 fee.

Looks like they are a few 32GB Wifi 1st gens in my area. They show up as $168, with the 10% and the 25% mystery this gets it down to close to $100...

So a (Scratch and Scuff) iPad 16GB should come out like this

$199.99

Disc $20.00 Promo #15052 (10% Scratch & Dent ???)

Disc $18.00 Promo #15152 (10% Electronics)

Disc:$40.50 Promo #15194 (25% mystery coupon)

Total = $121.50 + Tax

Will wait for someone to report back...
Can confirm this, exactly how it came out for me.

Also, I can CONFIRM that you CAN buy a VISA Pre-paid giftcard using the giftcard you get from the trade-in. Here's a picture since everyones all 'pic or it didn't happen'.

iq8msz.jpg

I know it says Mastercard charge, but it was indeed the giftcard I got from trading in the iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A used iPad mini is still going for $270 plus shipping on EBay right now. I'm going to pick up the new iPad mini 2 cellular with T-mobile for the free 200 mb data per month, and then sell my mini. I would have gotten the iPad Air, but no way now that it only has 1 gb of memory on a 64 bit architecture.

Also, I can CONFIRM that you CAN buy a VISA Pre-paid giftcard using the giftcard you get from the trade-in. Here's a picture since everyones all 'pic or it didn't happen'.

iq8msz.jpg

I know it says Mastercard charge, but it was indeed the giftcard I got from trading in the iPad.
Hey where did you find a $200 PP VISA card? I have never seen anything higher than $100 at target.

Just came back from trading my 1st gen 32GB iPad with no hassles. Brought my iPad inside a bag and the guy knew exactly what I wanted before I even brought it out. Said he's been doing trade ins all day. Process took about 7-10 minutes.

Tried to get a 32gb Air but they were out. Might swing by another Target tomorrow to see if they have them.

sorry if it has been mentioned but will they take 1st gen Ipads? The first ipad is slow as crap and the apps always crash. I need a way to get rid of it.

Just came back from trading my 1st gen 32GB iPad with no hassles. Brought my iPad inside a bag and the guy knew exactly what I wanted before I even brought it out. Said he's been doing trade ins all day. Process took about 7-10 minutes.

Tried to get a 32gb Air but they were out. Might swing by another Target tomorrow to see if they have them.
How much did you get for the 32GB model? Do you have a RED card and did you get a bump from that?

$200, yes I have a red card but you dont get bonuses for trade in.
I wonder why they say "at least $200" on the site and the OP said RED Cards get a bump. You'd think they'd toss a little extra toward those with bigger capacities. 64GB was $200 more than 16GB when they came out, you know?

I wonder why they say "at least $200" on the site and the OP said RED Cards get a bump. You'd think they'd toss a little extra toward those with bigger capacities. 64GB was $200 more than 16GB when they came out, you know?
I think OP meant you get a bonus if you buy something from Target you get using your Red Card. So if you're buying another iPad or Ps4 or whatever, you'll get 5% off.

iq8msz.jpg

Would you be able to show a pic of the front of the giftcard you received so I know I can get the right 1 on my trade-in or does it work with any standard Target giftcard?

Would you be able to show a pic of the front of the giftcard you received so I know I can get the right 1 on my trade-in or does it work with any standard Target giftcard?
It just says Target Electronics Credit or something on it but it works on everything in the store. I would take a picture but the cashier just took it and threw it out for me seeing as there's no balance left on it.

Just got back from trading 3 YMMV on getting the Giftcard instead of putting it towards the purchase of a iPad associate told me I had to put it towards a new one,but once the line started to pile up I guess they didn't care anymore.

Just got back from trading 3 YMMV on getting the Giftcard instead of putting it towards the purchase of a iPad associate told me I had to put it towards a new one,but once the line started to pile up I guess they didn't care anymore.
3 at one store?

successfully traded in a gen 1 ipad that was gathering dust around the house.

notes --

1) LONG lines today, because lots of people are doing phone exchanges that take forever.

2) card is only good for the 'electronics' section, though as some mentioned you may be able to convert to another card.

3) trade-in was smooth and no-fuss, she turned it on and i had a card within a couple minutes.

----

i assume the card is good for the the games section, correct (As in, that's counted as electronics)? so... ps4 games it is.

yeah in michigan the first gave me a hard time and told me i have to put it on a ipad

2nd store they helped a lady in front of me trade in 3 old ipads and he saw me and pulled out another giftcard for me . did my trade in asked me what i pad i wanted

i laughed and he said well its nothing he can do its already on the card ...i pimp walked out the door 

successfully traded in a gen 1 ipad that was gathering dust around the house.

notes --

1) LONG lines today, because lots of people are doing phone exchanges that take forever.

2) card is only good for the 'electronics' section, though as some mentioned you may be able to convert to another card.

3) trade-in was smooth and no-fuss, she turned it on and i had a card within a couple minutes.

----

i assume the card is good for the the games section, correct (As in, that's counted as electronics)? so... ps4 games it is.
I don't think #2 is right. I traded a couple beat up gen 1's that we bought for a song off craigslist to keep our toddlers entertained on trips. They gave me the standard "electronics trade in" card and activated it just like during the past game trade bonanzas. They've worked on everything in the store in the past.

Uh-oh, YMMV on getting a GC for the value...? I'll still give this a shot, but I'd definitely prefer a GC over another iPad. :bomb:

While I personally understand why someone with a 64gb iPad 1st Gen would be upset at the same price as a 16gb I invite you to go on ebay and you will feel much better about the $200

iPad Mini is a nice upgrade but personally I stashed my card and will buy a Mini Retina in the coming weeks

Damn, I was just in Target this morning and saw the ad and instead of reading it through I went online and checked what they were offering there for the Gen 1 iPad, and it was less than $100 so I didn't do anything.  Gonna have to go tomorrow, hopefully they won't make me buy a new iPad although I wanted to upgrade anyways so this is still a good deal for me.

I saw the ad also says you get $40 gift card for buying the iPad, do you guys know if this applies to the iPad Air or it is it for a 4th Gen iPad?

If they insist you have to buy an IPad right then just tell the associate that you want the 128gb version Air. They will then tell you they don't carry it I store, so you'll reply, "that's okay I'll just buy it off the website with the gift/trade card."

Another confirmation of the 16G iPad S&S flip.  Came out to just under $130 with tax.  The guy @ Target said without the promo, I'd have gotten about $64 or something like that for it.  I also went with my own personal 1st gen 32G iPad w/3G and got another $200 gift card.  That would've gotten about $72 or something without the promo.  I might actually try to track down another and do it again.

Target GiftCards and Target Mobile Gift Cards can be redeemed for merchandise or services (excluding American Express® and Visa® gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com. Source Target.com and me because I work in management at a Target store

Target GiftCards and Target Mobile Gift Cards can be redeemed for merchandise or services (excluding American Express® and Visa® gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com. Source Target.com and me because I work in management at a Target store
YMMV as it depends on the cashier really.

I don't think #2 is right. I traded a couple beat up gen 1's that we bought for a song off craigslist to keep our toddlers entertained on trips. They gave me the standard "electronics trade in" card and activated it just like during the past game trade bonanzas. They've worked on everything in the store in the past.

Target GiftCards and Target Mobile Gift Cards can be redeemed for merchandise or services (excluding American Express® and Visa® gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com. Source Target.com and me because I work in management at a Target store

oh, wow. the clerk at the register told me it would only be good in the electronics section. if it's good store wide, that's just awesome.

Btw, do you need to trade in the iPad and the usb, or just the iPad?  Was thinking of keeping the usb if I could.

Btw, do you need to trade in the iPad and the usb, or just the iPad? Was thinking of keeping the usb if I could.
Just bring it and don't give it unless you're asked. It might not be the most "ethical" thing, but a lot of companies also don't like to deal with those wires.

Well sucks I cant take advantage of this, they don't do trade-ins at the Hawaii Target stores. Was hoping to get some credit for the upcoming B2G1 but looks like it won't happen.

bread's done
Back