Target offering $200 gift card for any iPad which can be used on anything in-store. YMMV.

For people swapping out their 1st gen ipads for the air, is it worth it? I've literally never used any iPad newer than the first gen model....
If you're happy with iPad1 then you might want to just upgrade to a 2nd or 3rd gen. at minimal cost My experience was that the memory management in iOS just went to shit around version 5 causing frequent crashes especially in the browser. Apple has this passive aggressive thing where if you're more than a couple of years behind then they not only don't care about your device they will actually try to make you upgrade by downgrading your experience. You really need to have the increased memory and processor speed just to get the same experience you had when the ipad1 was new. Of course the screen is better, weight is less, but not really worth $400 extra if your current ipad is working fine.

Why not wait for the new ipad mini 2? It comes out mid November and pretty much has the same specs as the new ipad air?
The iPad Mini is not for me but rather for my mom. She just uses it for browsing, checking emails and streaming live TV. Her 1st Gen iPad has been crashing often, so I thought I'd get her a nice upgrade as an early gift.

The iPad Mini with Retina does look good though. I have a 3rd Gen iPad, and I'm tempted to upgrade to an Air or the Retina Mini.

So I filled out the online form and got a UPS shipping label for Target's online trade-in with the $200 TIV from $65 original value with $135 promotion bonus for my Ipad 1 16GB. Now the code is expired but I have my emails confirming the $200 total value. Should I bother sending it in if they might deny it? Would they send it back if I don't agree with the TIV if it doesn't match?

In case anyone's wondering how I did this;

http://lifehacker.com/get-200-at-target-with-any-ipad-trade-in-even-a-first-1458268904

but remember it's expired now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded in my third ipad yesterday, there were 10 people in line trading them in.  The lady even took a couple with huge cracks in the screen.  Super ready for buy 2 get 1.

Had my card changed out for a regular Target GC. They ran it as a MasterCard.

Halloween candy is 70% off! Bought a TON for so cheap!

Why are people doing this? The card you get from the trade-in is good for anything in the store plus other things. ;)
When I first got it the other day, the girl at the register didn't know how to run it. I was going to get a Visa GC if she figured it out. I saw some site that an SDian posted about making it function as a MasterCard, but that site looked sketchy and generic as hell. I tried to shop at a different store on line with it and it didn't go through.

I shop there, anyway, and this was easier for me.

When I first got it the other day, the girl at the register didn't know how to run it. I was going to get a Visa GC if she figured it out. I saw some site that an SDian posted about making it function as a MasterCard, but that site looked sketchy and generic as hell. I tried to shop at a different store on line with it and it didn't go through.

There's nothing to it. It swipes like a CC.

I liked the guy on SD who took his giftcards and converted them all to iTunes cards because he was worried he wouldn't be able to use them, not realizing until after the fact that iTunes cards can only buy iTunes content and not Apple merchandise.

I liked the guy on SD who took his giftcards and converted them all to iTunes cards because he was worried he wouldn't be able to use them, not realizing until after the fact that iTunes cards can only buy iTunes content and not Apple merchandise.
Lmfao! I saw that person! I was like, WTF? Talking about iTunes credit can be used for physical goods. :rofl:

Can't deny it. A huge evil grin came across my face reading that.

Because you're not supposed to be able to buy Visa gift cards with Target gift cards.
ChunLiBarbie made it sound like the cashier didn't know how to run the trade-in card at all. Furthermore, as proven here, these cards from the trade-ins act like MCs and are able to be used to buy Visa GCs.

Because you're not supposed to be able to buy Visa gift cards with Target gift cards.
No. I would have been able to get a Visa GC. However, I swiped the card at the credit card reader and she did so me things on her end, but there was zero response from the card. She looked new or lost. Probably missed some prompt on the screen.

Did I see something upthread about how to convert the Target GC into Amazon credit? That would be ideal because with BF coming up, I'd rather have $200 in Amazon credit that Target credit.

Traded my non-usable 1 gen 32 GB iPad for 16 GB mini.  I Didn't think it would be a huge difference but man its nice to be able to open the app store or load a web page without it crashing.  I didnt know if the size would feel too small but im loving It, it's a great size for gaming, I often felt my full ipad was difficult to hold/play for some shooters and action games but Bastion runs beautifully the mini.  Brand new mini and smart cover out of pocket 132.  Thanks everyone.

Target is lame here.  They don't do trade ins.  However, they gave the persons working at Mobile center a promo code so that way they could still partake in the promotion.  Only, I have to mail it out and wait for my gift card. 

Thanks for the heads up regardless.  I'm thinking of picking up the new mini when it comes out.

every store in my area (LA) actually ran out of the trade-in cards they use to load the $200 lol so they haven't been able to process any trades for the past 2 days. gonna check back in tomorrow.

Did I see something upthread about how to convert the Target GC into Amazon credit? That would be ideal because with BF coming up, I'd rather have $200 in Amazon credit that Target credit.
No Target pulled ALL Amazon merchandise from their stores 2 or 3 years ago.

Man still tempted to do the trade for my OG 32gb model to the 16gb mini, but can't convince myself. 

It'd be easier if the 32gb mini was 330.  Couple more days to decide

Man still tempted to do the trade for my OG 32gb model to the 16gb mini, but can't convince myself.

It'd be easier if the 32gb mini was 330. Couple more days to decide
Yea i struggled with doing the exact same thing. I just decided id rather have a better running ipad and just be more selective with what games i keep on it. It helps that i have itunes match so i don't keep any music on it. But im glad i made the decision to get the mini. I actually am liking the size a lot (didn't think i would) and i forgot how nice it was to have a usable ipad that doesnt crash on the simplest things. I dont know if you og 32gb ipad is messing up as much as mine was. Now im just debating whether to upgrade to ios7... I think ill stick with 6, dont want to go through the same issues with having too powerful an os on a older device.

I dont know if you og 32gb ipad is messing up as much as mine was. Now im just debating whether to upgrade to ios7... I think ill stick with 6, dont want to go through the same issues with having too powerful an os on a older device.
Yeah, mine crashes out if I open too many tabs in safari and the few apps I still run take a while to load up... but I still consider it bearable.

Got it back when Verizon cleared'em out at 400 so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the 32gb mini. It sorta evens out after all these years.

Arrrgh, but then I gotta deal with the lightning connector in a 30-pin household... mo' money, mo' money, mo' money

Yeah, mine crashes out if I open too many tabs in safari and the few apps I still run take a while to load up... but I still consider it bearable.

Got it back when Verizon cleared'em out at 400 so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the 32gb mini. It sorta evens out after all these years.

Arrrgh, but then I gotta deal with the lightning connector in a 30-pin household... mo' money, mo' money, mo' money
I hear that, i have an iphone 5 so that made it a little more bearable. Especially since my puppy chewed up my 5's cord so i was actually glad to get a new lightning cord.

So tomorrow is the last day for this right? My Target Mobile has been closed all week (apparently their rep quit and they can't line up a replacement) and the next closest is over an hour's drive...I might just bite the bullet and return it to GS. Crap.

I traded mine a half-hour ago. Also got the old lady in front of me's charger and cord for my old iPods. Now to see how to convert this GC into something I can use at Amazon.

This is what I was referring to: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?/topic/321886-Target-offering-$200-gift-card-for-any-iPad-which-can-be-used-on-anything-in-store.-YMMV.#entry11194093

You apparently convert the Target card into a Mastercard and then buy Amazon bucks with it.
OK I was referring to Target at one point sold Amazon GC's & Kindle's in store then pulled them. They also put the restriction on Target gift cards being used to buy Visa/Am. Express gift cards for that reason also.

Also as a reminder today is the LAST DAY to do this at Target.

I know this has been covered but is it better to buy a 32 gb Mini than a 16 gb iPad Retina? I have a Galaxy Tab 2 16 gb already, so I know how quickly space fills up a tablet.

OK I was referring to Target at one point sold Amazon GC's & Kindle's in store then pulled them. They also put the restriction on Target gift cards being used to buy Visa/Am. Express gift cards for that reason also.

Also as a reminder today is the LAST DAY to do this at Target.
See my post above yours. ;)

I know this has been covered but is it better to buy a 32 gb Mini than a 16 gb iPad Retina? I have a Galaxy Tab 2 16 gb already, so I know how quickly space fills up a tablet.
At this point, I wouldn't buy a 16 gb anything. I guess if you were only surfing, using iTunes Match or streaming videos it would be ok, but if you plan to game on your ipad and want it future proofed then 32 gb is a must. The install size for xcom on ipad was around 3 or 4 gb and you need twice that to install without a pc, so you get three or four games like that plus the OS and random apps and you'll constantly be moving things around.

Of course, it depends on the mini too ... if you mean a current mini vs an ipad air, the air might be a better buy. If you're waiting for a 32 gb retina, that's probably ideal.

Yeah, I have the dilemma most CAGs have with the enormous backlog, so I probably don't need one, but $449 for an iPad mini 32 gb with a $25 gift card isn't bad. Granted, I have the money but I also want a Wii U since I own six games for it and don't own the system, but iPad will be getting more new releases than Wii U soon, making it a better deal. I dunno...

Just remember the iPad mini is housing the exact same specs as the iPad 2. As someone who just sold my launch iPad 2, it's a great tablet but it was beginning to show its age. Xcom ran fairly well on it, but the graphics were muddy and I believe textures were lower res than the retina version to allow the 2 to run it. Also, Square already released a game (Deus Ex) which didn't initially support the ipad 2, with support only being added in a few weeks later. What all of this means is that the ipad 2 and therefore original ipad mini hardware is going to be left behind within the next 6 months or less. Soon there will be releases that simply won't have any support. I would save the money, as tempting as the current deals are and hold out for a retina model, be it air or mini, buying an original mini right now would be like going out to buy a PSP. Just my two cents.

I get what you're saying, etcrane, except the PSP doesn't run upwards of $400. Matter of fact, I still play mine. The reason I like the iPad is that the apps are so cheap, but Apple devices are such a huge money sink.

The iPad Retina was like $549 when I looked at it earlier, and that is a lot of scratch to me even with a $40 gift card. It might be better to wait until Black Friday since no stores near me take trade-ins and I can't find a cheap GameStop iPad to flip.

I can confirm that you can buy Visa giftcards with the trade-in card. Just swipe it like a credit card, don't show it to them. It will go through with no trouble but I have heard that some cashiers assume it won't work and won't let you try, hence don't show it to them.

I am so glad about this promo.  the guy let me trade in my iPad 2 16gb with a crack in the corner for $200 be trying to get rid of it for a good price. 

I get what you're saying, etcrane, except the PSP doesn't run upwards of $400. Matter of fact, I still play mine. The reason I like the iPad is that the apps are so cheap, but Apple devices are such a huge money sink.

The iPad Retina was like $549 when I looked at it earlier, and that is a lot of scratch to me even with a $40 gift card. It might be better to wait until Black Friday since no stores near me take trade-ins and I can't find a cheap GameStop iPad to flip.
If you're looking on the site, you're not going to find stores with a Mobile section. They took that function down the day the deal started. Call your store/s. Today is that last day for the deal.

Looks like I missed this promo. Was anybody able to trade in an iPad with a major amount of dead pixels? My iPad 1 turns on and has no scratches, but there is huge bar of dead pixels in the middle.

bread's done
Back