Thank You for Your Last Movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='munch']Rashomon = :drool:

Is it Criterion? The transfer is excellent. It was my first Kurosawa.[/QUOTE]

lets see....yep, it's criterion. can't wait to watch it. I've been putting off the book for months now, so I said fuck it and decided to get the movie.

I also get a good perk for watching these flicks-- extra credit for my East Asian Studies class! wewt!

[quote name='Apossum']lets see....yep, it's criterion. can't wait to watch it. I've been putting off the book for months now, so I said fuck it and decided to get the movie.

I also get a good perk for watching these flicks-- extra credit for my East Asian Studies class! wewt![/QUOTE]
excellent story...though it's more of a short story than a book. i bought it a couple of years ago in a small collection of 6 or so stories by the same author. i read the book within a week during my lunch breaks. could easily be read in a day (all 6 stories that is).

excellent movie as well. breakthrough cinematography. credited as the first time a camera was intentionally aimed at the sun. also, the light levels in the woods were not good enough to properly expose the film and they couldn't get their own lights to location and supply power. the dop grabbed a mirror from the wardrobe dept and reflected sunlight onto the actors. to give it a more genuine look he placed branches between the mirror and subject to break up the light with believable shadows.

Hostel 2/10 Just because there were some good tits in the begining and some decent gore later in it. Other than that, it sucked sooooooooooooooooo much. I can't believe people enjoyed that p.o.s.

In other news, I bought Garden State and Troy today. A friend also let me borrow The Something whatever of a spotless mind.

A History of Violence last night. Honestly, I'm sure it's a great movie to some people, but I just cannot wrap my head around what made this movie tick. There was something slightly off, but not enough to make it a straight out bad movie. The gore was intense, but it didn't really add anything to the film. Maybe a repeated viewing in a few years will help me out.

Just finished watching Doom, the middle 1/3 of it was entertaining, but the other 2/3rds sucked.

Sidebar: I was watching one of the special features, man, some of those G4 hosts are annoying, particularly that X-Play guy.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Amazing. 9/10

Garden State - Pretty good too. Braff is awesome and Portman could make anything look flawless. 9/10

Saw V for Vendetta @ the IMAX today.. sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood. my new favorite movie, easily.

[quote name='Eviltude']A friend also let me borrow The Something whatever of a spotless mind.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Eviltude']Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Amazing. 9/10[/QUOTE]
:rofl:i read the first comment and thought you were mocking how people love that film, then i read your second and realized you probably never saw it before. it's a title you don't forget after seeing it.

Lost Highway. david lynch is pretty much the best person in the world.

Magnolia. Such a terrible film. Good concept but it was just way too long with no action for my 4 year old attention span. eh....5/10 at best.

Pirates of the Caribean: Curse of the Black Pearl. 8/10 Pretty good.

...DUCK HUNT ON THE NES! 10/10!

Mission Impossible 3 - 7/10

Liked the 2nd one a lot more.. this one just kinda.. dives right in. Never felt the sense of urgency, either.

Mission Impossible III, I am sick and tired of the "flash to the later action, then flashback to the begining" device. Action sequences were good, but the plot didn't connect them together very well, its like they just wanted an excuse to go and film in the various world locations and bent the plot to fit it.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels 8/10
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou 9/10
"I'm sick and tired of these fucking dolphins."
Garden State tonight probably accompanied by Peanut Butter Cookies.

[quote name='Eviltude']Care to elaborate a bit? I've never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

Foreign film (from Brazil IIRC), won a good amount of awards a couple years ago and was nominated for a handful of Oscars as well.

Mission Impossible 3 - much much better then Mission Impossible 2. Its on the same level as Mission Impossible but with bigger explosions and better action scences.

[quote name='Mex25']Mission Impossible 3 - much much better then Mission Impossible 2.[/QUOTE]

Definately, DEFINATELY not.

I watched The Family Stone last night. It was.. weird. I don't really know if it was a chick flick.. I pretty much watched it just for Rachel McAdams :)drool:).. unexpected twists and turns.. worth a rental, it was actually pretty good.

[quote name='Scorch']Definately, DEFINATELY not.

I watched The Family Stone last night. It was.. weird. I don't really know if it was a chick flick.. I pretty much watched it just for Rachel McAdams :)drool:).. unexpected twists and turns.. worth a rental, it was actually pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Really, you thought M:I 3 was that bad? I thought it was pretty good. Not oscar winning material but at least it didn't put me to sleep like the second one.

MI3- 8.5/10

Looks like Tom finally found that medium level of complexity for an MI movie. The first one was overly complicated, the second was so NOT complicated it wasn't funny, but this one was just right. JJ did an awesome job directing, and I could definitely feel the old-school Alias feel to the movie. Definitely worth checking out.

[quote name='karsh']MI3- 8.5/10

Looks like Tom finally found that medium level of complexity for an MI movie. The first one was overly complicated, the second was so NOT complicated it wasn't funny, but this one was just right. JJ did an awesome job directing, and I could definitely feel the old-school Alias feel to the movie. Definitely worth checking out.[/QUOTE]
In terms of how it was shot, a fair margin of it was alright, but the other portion was shot a little too close-up for my tastes. I would rank the films M:I>M:I3>>>M:I2. Also with Abrams onboard I was hoping the writing would be a little stronger

Anyway, last movie I saw was Stealth, I went in with zero expectations, and I was surprised that it wasn't completely awful, just average with some nifty effects (and a strange change in tone at the beginning of the 3rd act). Sure it may be empty calories, but it was a decent time waster.

MI:3 wasn't bad. It was decent. I can't say whether it's better than 2 since I didn't watch 2, but MI:1 is definitely better. It's probably becasue I didn't like the story behind 3 as much as the first one since it's not as complicated (or have cool twists).

I would say though, Phillip Seymour Hoffman makes an excellent villan. Too bad they didn't develope him enough to make him cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back