The 2013/2014 NBA Thread (LBJ is a Cav)

That's too much money for him. At least not yet. But I can't blame the pacers that much as if they don't overpay him, somebody else will. It's going to be really interesting what they would do to Granger. Granger might ask for same or more money if he comes back and plays like he never got injured at all.

In regards to the Paul George max contract... a little voice in my head keeps screaming "RASHARD LEWIS!!" who the Orlando Magic gave the max contract as well. I hope I'm wrong though.
Paul George is one of the 3 best wing defenders since prime Pippen. Even if he never improves at all offensively, the contract will be worth it.

Right! He even won as most improve honor player. Not to mention his dedication in playing basketball.

Preseason starts this weekend.

It kicks off on Saturday with OKC vs. FBU (a basketball team from Istanbul, Turkey), Bulls/Pacers, Pelicans/Rockets, and Warriors/Lakers.

And if you'd prefer to watch basketball over football on Sunday, there's the 76ers vs. UBB (a team from Bilbao, Spain) and then a night game of the Nuggets/Lakers.

Aaaannnddd Dwight Howard got ejected from the Pelicans/Rockets game for technicals. But it's preseason so it's not like it matters. At least he almost had a double-double and his FT shooting looked good.

EDIT: Looks like there was some confusion and Dwight wasn't actually ejected. He really only had one technical.

And with that I can't really find anything to complain about with the game he had tonight. He looked good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great point! because you should totally not give a shit about your team and the way you go out just because your down 0-3. Bynum and odom went out like punks against the mavs couple of years ago and dwight should be no exception.

Great point! because you should totally not give a shit about your team and the way you go out just because your down 0-3. Bynum and odom went out like punks against the mavs couple of years ago and dwight should be no exception.
Hey at least I can stick to a point. Now we're talking about Dwight not giving a shit about his team or the way they went out? You said "Dwight is saving his ejections for when his team needs him." The Lakers didn't need Dwight at that point, so you're little quip made no sense.

Two new alternate jerseys the Heat will be wearing this season:

079b4974303a11e3902222000a1fa52b_8.jpg

I've been watching and enjoying the Grantland previews. They just now made it to the playoff teams. I don't agree with today's video though. I personally don't see the Blazers making the playoffs. But other than that, I've agreed with a lot of what Jalen and Bill have said. A new episode is added every morning.

And in other NBA news, Allen Iverson is apparently going to announce his retirement. Little does AI know, everyone tthought he retired years ago lol.

Oh and Melo recently stirred shit up when he said he wants to know what it's like to be a free agent.

Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose preview and rank teams for next season, what do you guys think?:

NrRTXQK.jpg
They release the image but keep the rankings hidden??? I don't see the point in it. If the image is accurate, I like seeing the Mavs at 14.

I've been watching and enjoying the Grantland previews. They just now made it to the playoff teams. I don't agree with today's video though. I personally don't see the Blazers making the playoffs. But other than that, I've agreed with a lot of what Jalen and Bill have said. A new episode is added every morning.

And in other NBA news, Allen Iverson is apparently going to announce his retirement. Little does AI know, everyone tthought he retired years ago lol.

Oh and Melo recently stirred shit up when he said he wants to know what it's like to be a free agent.
They have Portland just missing the playoffs according to their power rankings no? I'm seeing my Mavs as the number 8 seed on the image. Haven't seen the video yet...

They release the image but keep the rankings hidden??? I don't see the point in it. If the image is accurate, I like seeing the Mavs at 14.

They have Portland just missing the playoffs according to their power rankings no? I'm seeing my Mavs as the number 8 seed on the image. Haven't seen the video yet...
Bill Simmons was saying throughout the video that he thinks Portland is making the playoffs in the 8th seed.

Why are all the analysts hating on the knicks this year?  Some have even said they won't get 40 wins this year.  That makes no sense to me considering they improved the team over last year.

This pre-season has been a nice showcase of the Cavs' depth on the roster, which is something they've lacked for the past few years since The Decision that handicapped their transition early on.

Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev should be nice guards to bring in when Kyrie or Dion need a break or to change up the pace of the game, which is nice now that Daniel Gibson is no longer strangling their depth at the guard position. SF is the biggest question mark since the two main guys at that spot (Earl Clark and Alonzo Gee) haven't been that impressive to be the obvious starter and that spot seems to be waiting for Anthony Bennett to be ready to take it over. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gee get cut at some point so they can move on from him. If the frontcourt duo of Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao can stay healthy, they could be one of the best in the business since both are near the top at offensive rebounding and are fairly good on offense. Then there is still CJ Miles, Carrick Felix, Herny Sims, Jermaine Taylor, and the eventual returns of Andrew Bynum and Tyler Zeller from injuries. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out when they have to make cuts for the regular season roster.

Derrick Favors and the Utah Jazz have agreed to a 4-year, $49 million contract extension.

I think Utah is way overpaying him, but this is a rebuilding team with no real star player. I guess they're hoping either Favors or Hayward can become one.

lakers 18, wow!?! there not #1, but thought they would be top 10 at least
Kobe's 35 and coming off a severe injury, one that ends most careers, Nash is 39 and hurt, and the Lakers have no depth. I've been as big a Gasol booster as there is, but he's 33 himself, and has dealt with injuries the last couple years.

Haha yeah you're probably right. They play next Friday, so I'll see you then.
The showdown last night was great! Idk if you've been watching preseason games but it felt like a reg season game. It was the first time our starting 5 for the year was starting together. That game could've gone anybody's way. Y'all made the plays at the end though. Can't wait til Nov 1st...

The showdown last night was great! Idk if you've been watching preseason games but it felt like a reg season game. It was the first time our starting 5 for the year was starting together. That game could've gone anybody's way. Y'all made the plays at the end though. Can't wait til Nov 1st...
I did actually, and I agree. It looked a lot like a competitive regular season game through the first 3 quarters. As always, I expect the Southwest Division to be the most stacked in the NBA and there should be some good battles. Seeing as how the Rockets open the season against the Bobcats, I'm looking forward to Nov. 1st too lol.

Greg Oden made his debut today. Good to see him out there after 3 years.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix64QPX7xY8[/youtube]

The Spurs new military-inspired jerseys that they'll wear twice this season:
It's in my blood to hate everything about that organization but THIS I'm not only hating on because of the name. These are simply disgusting imho.

Curious to know what you guys think...

Suns just sent Gortat, Brown, and Marshall to the Wizards for Okafor and a top 12 protected 2014 draft pick.
The Suns are going to be loaded in next year's deep draft (while also in talks with Bledsoe to lock him up long term) and Washington gets a center who actually has an offensive game. I like this deal for both teams. Wouldn't surprise me to see Washington in the postseason as hard as it is to say that and not chuckle.

The Suns are going to be loaded in next year's deep draft (while also in talks with Bledsoe to lock him up long term) and Washington gets a center who actually has an offensive game. I like this deal for both teams. Wouldn't surprise me to see Washington in the postseason as hard as it is to say that and not chuckle.
Washington was the best defensive team in the NBA in the second half of last season. Any improvement at all offensively and they'll definitely make the playoffs.

The last 3 spots in the East are all up for grabs IMO. You can already tell that teams like the Celtics and Hawks, who made the playoffs in the East last year, aren't going to be returning.

Andrew Bogut has agreed to a contraction extension with the Warriors for 3-years/$43 million.

The Knicks new bright orange alternate uniforms:

BXcir2FCAAAY_crop_north.jpg

The whole Kobe coming back early was so overblown haha. He'll probably come back a bit early compared to the average player, but not this early.

Seems like Danny Granger just can't catch a break. He's going to be out the first three weeks of the season. But the Pacers are saying that the length of time is just a precautionary measure to make sure he's physically ready given the fact that he missed pretty much all last season.

Well the Mavs are already in need of a new GM after parting ways with Gersson Rosas after just 3 months.

He was poached from the Rockets and I can vouch on how good the guy is, so I wonder what the problem was?

The Mavs didn't have a GM for years. I don't think they had one since Don Nelson was the GM before Rosas came on board. Donnie runs the show with Cuban.

Stein is saying that they just didn't mesh. 

Edit: If someone does League Pass online, will you tell me if it is worth a damn this year. Deadspin always says that it is shit, and I don't want to throw down 130 on crap.

The Mavs didn't have a GM for years. I don't think they had one since Don Nelson was the GM before Rosas came on board. Donnie runs the show with Cuban.

Stein is saying that they just didn't mesh.

Edit: If someone does League Pass online, will you tell me if it is worth a damn this year. Deadspin always says that it is shit, and I don't want to throw down 130 on crap.
My initial reaction to the GM thing was :shock: :shock: :shock: !!??!!?? Kim Kardashian was almost married as long as he was with us...No big deal. He probably wasn't comfortable with how involved Donnie and Mark get into basketball decisions.

Why don't you just get the full League Pass? Early Bird special is only 50 bucks more (until Nov 5th) and you get mobile and online free.

bread's done
Back