The "Dear God, Take-Two, No More Yukes" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='neocisco']There are multiple venue options in the metro Atlanta area, not just Philips Arena.[/QUOTE]

World Congress Center, yo. We ran the WFTDA Championships there last November. One of the convention halls could work for a TNA taping with the right lighting. Ain't gotta have a 15K seater if you're drawing 3-5K.

[quote name='mykevermin']If competition really matters to you, keep your money in your pocket and don't go when WWE comes to town. Go see TNA when they do.

there are enough venues in the US, TNA will be fine. Still makes WWE pigdogs for shying away from direct market competition.[/QUOTE]

I feel awful for saying this, but I mainly stayed away from WCW programming because it made me feel...dirty. I know this might make zero sense to some, but back when I was younger I viewed it as the evil wrestling company because it was owned by a billionaire who kept stealing away wrestlers that I liked.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. I have watched WWF (WWE will never sound okay with me) for so long that I feel like a traitor for wanting to watch TNA. It's sad that WWF has been doing just about everything in their power to make me want to give up and switch. Some of the "top stars" there bore the ever-loving shit out of me, no matter how talented they are.

On a semi-positive note, Punk's promo this past Monday was pretty damn good. I normally cringe when the show starts off with a promo and fast forward it to 15-20 minutes in, but I'm glad I didn't. But yeah, I just watched/fast forwarded through the Hulu+ version of RAW, it's all I can tolerate. Yeesh.

WWE booked a "hold" on the Wolstein Center at Cleveland State University for later this year. That IS the smaller venue in Cleveland, holding around 7-8K rather than the 16K Quicken Loans Arena holds. It's the venue WCW used to run Thunder and Nitro in - brilliant if WWE is going to book the second tier and leave the bigger arena that TNA obviously won't fill.

TNA house shows run approximately 1500 attending - it'll be weird to see them in anything resembling an arena.

TNA ran a house show at the Coca-Cola Events Center in OKC when they were here last time. It was no bigger than my old high school gym.

3333822761_d7a1a758ca.jpg

(pic shamelessly taken from a Bing search)

It's not like this is anything new from WWE. They've been doing TV from small towns, where Vince won't even allow the announcers to say what town they're in. I think attendance is just down for them. I think it also helps that they're trying to screw over TNA in the process.

[quote name='JJSP']WWE booked a "hold" on the Wolstein Center at Cleveland State University for later this year. That IS the smaller venue in Cleveland, holding around 7-8K rather than the 16K Quicken Loans Arena holds. It's the venue WCW used to run Thunder and Nitro in - brilliant if WWE is going to book the second tier and leave the bigger arena that TNA obviously won't fill.

TNA house shows run approximately 1500 attending - it'll be weird to see them in anything resembling an arena.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they've run the Wolstein Center instead of the Q the past few times they've come to town; iirc the last two times I went one was in the Q (Unforgiven) and one was at Wolstein (Smackdown taping, maybe?).

[quote name='mykevermin']World Congress Center, yo. We ran the WFTDA Championships there last November. One of the convention halls could work for a TNA taping with the right lighting. Ain't gotta have a 15K seater if you're drawing 3-5K.[/QUOTE]

Also Cobb County Civic Center which ECW did some shows in. I went to an ECW show in Rome like pimpster mentioned and an indy show in Rome and they both did well. Both are north of the metro area but still accessible. Rome in particular is a good small-medium venue for wrestling.

North GA has a good wrestling fan base.. the convention center in dalton draws good crowds.. might be the rome folks going also since it's so close. Chattanooga would probably draw good too.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Totally fake but kinda neat. This would never fly in WWE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=961P6Vp5hl4[/QUOTE]

Read the comments. Hilarity will ensue.

Jeff Hardy!!!!! WWE official page is showing his old matches! Which means he's back yes!!
How about Christian. I mean the mask looks like the one he used to have in his titantron and he's been MIA for almost a year now.
It cant be bradd maddox because he jusy came its undertaker
its not chris benoit hes dead

[quote name='HydroX']I'm a huge HBK fan, and I have been slowly buying some of the Attitude-era figures (I only have Bret Hart, Diesel and HBK). Plus I absolutely love how great of a job Mattel did on the HBK tights.

Miss Elizabeth is only in case set B, which is apparently only available in Target stores as of right now -- if they even got their cases yet. Walmart is getting case set A for right now, which has everyone in it except for Liz.[/QUOTE]

Wish they had just left Elizabeth as a Matty exclusive if they weren't going to put her in every case. The rest of that set is pretty great all around at least. Saw the new basics set in Target today and was pretty amused that Eve sold before any of the Brock Lesnars in the case.

And I thought the Impact Zone -IS- where they used to tape WCW Saturday Night? If true it was funny to hear Mean Gene say to the Macho Man once "Welcome to atlanta" in a debut interview I believe.

Heck Impact used the old WCW introduce wrestlers announcer for a while too.

[quote name='TerraBemani']And I thought the Impact Zone -IS- where they used to tape WCW Saturday Night? If true it was funny to hear Mean Gene say to the Macho Man once "Welcome to atlanta" in a debut interview I believe.[/QUOTE]

Bischoff talked about moving the tapings to Orlando in his book, but I don't remember the exact time.

His book is actually a decent read. Sure, there's some revisionist history, but it's not the worst wrestling bio that I've read.

I don't know if Saturday Night ever moved to the studios in Orlando looking over the stuff on historyofwwe.com. I know they used to tape in Atlanta and Pro and Worldwide were taped in Orlando.

[quote name='diddy310']Wish they had just left Elizabeth as a Matty exclusive if they weren't going to put her in every case. The rest of that set is pretty great all around at least. Saw the new basics set in Target today and was pretty amused that Eve sold before any of the Brock Lesnars in the case.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, I notice a trend that the female figures tend to sell faster than their popular male counterparts. Technically, Liz is in every case (b), but not the cases they ship to Walmart (case a) .. sadness.

[quote name='TerraBemani']And I thought the Impact Zone -IS- where they used to tape WCW Saturday Night? If true it was funny to hear Mean Gene say to the Macho Man once "Welcome to atlanta" in a debut interview I believe.

Heck Impact used the old WCW introduce wrestlers announcer for a while too.[/QUOTE]

I think they used them for the WCW Worldwide syndicated show.

[quote name='mykevermin']If competition really matters to you, keep your money in your pocket and don't go when WWE comes to town. Go see TNA when they do.

there are enough venues in the US, TNA will be fine. Still makes WWE pigdogs for shying away from direct market competition.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, sir.

More people need to realize this. A lot of people complain about WWE yet still buy their merchandise and watch the shows live. In that regard, WWE is like an abusive relationship.

At most, I contribute one view to some of their weekly YouTube clips of their shows. And if they didn't upload them so quickly, I wouldn't even watch. In terms of money, the most I have given WWE in the last five years is $30 for WWE 13—which I regret because it's terrible.

In light of recently watching Cornette's interviews, I want to support ROH but they are not like TNA or WWE and don't upload clips of their shows to YouTube. I did just buy Final Battle 2012, tho, which I guess helps. We'll see how long I remember to check their shop. (Over 2 months +150, Under 2 months -110).

Yea Universal studios did Worldwide tapings. They used to tape Sat night at center stage in Atlanta in the early 90s but then they took it on the road to towns that were too small for Nitro.

[quote name='Chase']Indeed, sir.

More people need to realize this. A lot of people complain about WWE yet still buy their merchandise and watch the shows live. In that regard, WWE is like an abusive relationship.

At most, I contribute one view to some of their weekly YouTube clips of their shows. And if they didn't upload them so quickly, I wouldn't even watch. In terms of money, the most I have given WWE in the last five years is $30 for WWE 13—which I regret because it's terrible.

In light of recently watching Cornette's interviews, I want to support ROH but they are not like TNA or WWE and don't upload clips of their shows to YouTube. I did just buy Final Battle 2012, tho, which I guess helps. We'll see how long I remember to check their shop. (Over 2 months +150, Under 2 months -110).[/QUOTE]

I've used that analogy more than once in the past. It's a good one because it's accurate.

I like how Kassius is mugging like he's going to be getting some quarters under his pillow while Xavier's got a sad puppy dog look. Best is the med staffer's uncomfortable stance holding some guy's teeth as these three goofs get a pic of it like it's some sort of tourist attraction.

Is Xavier Woods FKA Consequences Creed?

You all should have seen when Adam Cole had his teeth knocked out by Kyle O'Reilly. At one point he literally had a pressurized stream of blood shooting out of his mouth. Here's a clip that shows what he looked like after it happened (I couldn't find a clip with the moment I described).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXYtSW19RsA

Yes, Xavier Woods is/was Consequences Creed. I actually watched that Adam Cole/O'Reilly match not too long ago when I made a post about wanting to watch more ROH events. I had my friend over watching and our jaws were dropped for that entire match.

I actually got to see Xavier Woods in the indys once. He was doing a straight up Rocky 4 Apollo Creed gimmick. Dancing to the ring and all. Was so so good. Really wish I would have got this on video too. I think it was around 4 years ago? Wasn't too long before he got signed to
TNA.

[quote name='neocisco']I've used that analogy more than once in the past. It's a good one because it's accurate.[/QUOTE]

'Tis a most apt comparison, sir.

I think Creed/Woods is the guy who either has a PhD or is in process of completing his PhD. Solid back-up plan in a business where most people seem to not have one. Hats off to any of them who are content working the indies as a career choice. I think it's depressing.

[quote name='neocisco']Also Cobb County Civic Center which ECW did some shows in. I went to an ECW show in Rome like pimpster mentioned and an indy show in Rome and they both did well. Both are north of the metro area but still accessible. Rome in particular is a good small-medium venue for wrestling.[/QUOTE]

Looks like TNA will be running the Gwinnett Center (sp?) in Duluth. Not sure how close Duluth is (I initially misread it as Decatur). Anyway, there you go.

Just my luck. I already have tickets for a concert the same night Impact will be in town. :censored: That really sucks.

myke, the full name is The Arena at Gwinnett Center but everyone just calls it Gwinnett Arena. TNA held Bound for Glory 2007 there and it was a great show. I also saw a SD there years ago (the Lesner/TBS/Matt Morgan/Nathan Jones faction era) but it was only OK. TV tapings definitely don't have the same feel as a live show. Duluth is a straight shot up I-85 N from Atlanta, heading NE. I-85 rush hour traffic is horrid so getting to a show there on time requires leaving extra early. To get there I actually would drive east on state highways with a lot of lights so it's extra slow.

[quote name='neocisco']Just my luck. I already have tickets for a concert the same night Impact will be in town. :censored: That really sucks.[/QUOTE]
Go to Impact instead.

Read a house show report from last night. Miz botched a stalling suplex on Punk and it sounds like Punk got a concussion out of it.

I saw a Bud Light commercial the other day and it oddly helped me contextualize Miz's face turn.

It was a commercial for Bud Light featuring the DJ/rapper (?) Pitbull. I reacted by thinking "wait, there are people who like this shit?!?!?!?" - "this shit" being either Bud Light *or* Pitbull. I can't wrap my head around people making their way through life thinking either of those things are a good idea.

But I couldn't deny that they are both, despite my best wishes, terribly popular things.

So that's how I rationalize Miz being pushed as a face. I don't get it, I can't even imagine it being a good idea. But like Bud Light, and like Pitbull - some people will get into the dumbest shit imaginable - and in large numbers, too.

So I guess one of the things Bruno had a hang-up about was the lack of a physical HoF building...

"The other thing I asked and they are planning on doing it down the road is a building. A building that people can visit. It’s down the road like I said but it’s in the works," Sammartino said.

Not that I have any inside track or anything, but I get a feeling HHH or whoever was really working Bruno pretty hard - not to sound all smarky with my terminology, but that is the best way I can put it. "Oh, we've cleaned up our product, there is no vulgarity" (unless Cena or Rock or Vince decide otherwise) "Oh, we're going to do a Hall of Fame building" (someday).

[quote name='KaneRobot']So I guess one of the things Bruno had a hang-up about was the lack of a physical HoF building...

Not that I have any inside track or anything, but I get a feeling HHH or whoever was really working Bruno pretty hard - not to sound all smarky with my terminology, but that is the best way I can put it. "Oh, we've cleaned up our product, there is no vulgarity" (unless Cena or Rock or Vince decide otherwise) "Oh, we're going to do a Hall of Fame building" (someday).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this won't happen anytime in Bruno's lifetime.

They're actually leaving money on the table on a daily basis by *not* having a physical HoF building by now. It's not like one of those WWF New York or Niagra Falls bullshit things... as long as it's got a decent admission price (say, $10 per adult, $5 per child under 12), without a tacky restaurant attached to it, you know tons of people would check that place out.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Just realized the THQ thing probably means we'll never see that XBLA/PSN version of Wrestlefest. fuck.[/QUOTE]

fuck! I hadn't even thought about that... That sucks.

[quote name='HydroX']Exactly, this won't happen anytime in Bruno's lifetime.

They're actually leaving money on the table on a daily basis by *not* having a physical HoF building by now. It's not like one of those WWF New York or Niagra Falls bullshit things... as long as it's got a decent admission price (say, $10 per adult, $5 per child under 12), without a tacky restaurant attached to it, you know tons of people would check that place out.[/QUOTE]

WWE can't do "not tacky."

I challenge you to convince me otherwise.

If it seems like it was "just yesterday," it's because for the bulk of the past 10 years, it's been the same ol' nonsense from dobble-dobble-e. Cena overcomes, Ortons' a viper, ad nauseum.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Curt Hennig died ten years ago today. Man, where has the time gone?[/QUOTE]

Easily one of my Top 3 favorite Sooperstars™ of all-time.

I was just watching Royal Rumble 2002 the other day. Let's just pretend this was Royal Rumble 2013. (The good part starts at 50:50, if you view the match on youtube)

On a side note, why the hell can't I post YouTube videos without fucking up the thread?

[quote name='HydroX']Easily one of my Top 3 favorite Sooperstars™ of all-time.

I was just watching Royal Rumble 2002 the other day. Let's just pretend this was Royal Rumble 2013. (The good part starts at 50:50, if you view the match on youtube)

On a side note, why the hell can't I post YouTube videos without fucking up the thread?[/QUOTE]

Are you just posting the straight link or are you putting tags around it? I just post the link and it always posts fine.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Are you just posting the straight link or are you putting tags around it? I just post the link and it always posts fine.[/QUOTE]

I just post the links normally. I tried a couple different things, but it wouldn't post correctly.

I bet the URLs you're trying to post are https instead of http.

Just delete the S.

[quote name='Brak']Go to Impact instead.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to but I've already bought the concert tickets (and I do want to go to that as well). Oh well, TNA will be back eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back