The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='hustletron']It's been a while since I've purchased anything and tried to get reward points for it, and when I did use my card for reward points on purchases they were cheap games and I never kept up with the return after I submitted the requests for points.

I'm planning on buying a sony tv with my rewards card and then fill out the points redemtption form and the other credit form, I also have about 7k of rewards points on my account right now.

How will the rewards/credit work for this TV? Are they going to credit my account for the balance after the redemption clears? I guess essentially what I'm asking is if I use my card for the TV, fill out the redemption forms is it basically getting a free tv?[/QUOTE]

Anybody wanna help clarify?

They apply the value of the points directly to your credit card statement as a credit. So if you have say 70,000 points (which I believe is $700), and you paid $700 for the TV, it's basically like getting it for free (assuming no finance charges have been included)

[quote name='ssjmichael']They apply the value of the points directly to your credit card statement as a credit. So if you have say 70,000 points (which I believe is $700, and you paid $700 for the TV, it's basically like getting it for free (assuming no finance charges have been included)[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured, I appreciate you clearing it up, thats what I think they did last time I filled out the point redemption form and the credit redemption form, but it was a while back and it was only for like $40 bucks so I lost track or didn't keep up with it, where as $500 I'll definitely notice.

Amazon has a nice Sony TV thats I think last year's model Bravia 32 inch 120HZ LCD for 580 I think so I'm probably gonna pick that up.

OK, so this is odd:

I signed up for the Capital One Sony Card with 20,000 bonus points offer. On my Capital One account, however, it shows a "150.00 REDEMPTION CREDIT - SONY"

Anyone else have this? (part of me wants to call and see if I can get the 20,000 pts too, lol)

[quote name='Zmonkay']OK, so this is odd:

I signed up for the Capital One Sony Card with 20,000 bonus points offer. On my Capital One account, however, it shows a "150.00 REDEMPTION CREDIT - SONY"

Anyone else have this? (part of me wants to call and see if I can get the 20,000 pts too, lol)[/QUOTE]

nce. did you check your sony rewards account and/or link your account to the credit card? It's possible you do have the points as well

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Just got a note today my card is being converted over to Capital One.[/QUOTE]

Me too, but it says the account number will stay the same and the new cards come in June or July.

That's weird since my card just expired and they gave me a new card from the same bank.

On another note, for the first time in the decade that I've had the card, they only processed 2/5 of the point credit sheets I submitted. When I contacted them about it, they gave me a lame 2 sentence answer about all the forms being processed and nothing missing. When I replied back, they gave me another extremely brief reply.

edit: I spoke too soon. Just got the "welcome" packet from CapOne talking about the changeover

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darken']That's weird since my card just expired and they gave me a new card from the same bank.

On another note, for the first time in the decade that I've had the card, they only processed 2/5 of the point credit sheets I submitted. When I contacted them about it, they gave me a lame 2 sentence answer about all the forms being processed and nothing missing. When I replied back, they gave me another extremely brief reply.[/QUOTE]

You will eventually have to mail them again with resubmit written on the top. They do it to me all the time. It happens to me 1 out of 5 envelopes I send to them. They used to let you fax them in, but now you have to mail them again. I think they do it on purpose so people don't bother submitting them. They claim they didn't receive my last 2 envelopes. So from 2000-2011 SONY hasn't received 6 of my envelopes, yet the rest of the world (ebay users, half.com users, and amazon.com users) have reported 1 of my items bot received since 2000.

Yeah, I also got the notes in the mail in the last couple days, and my card also recently expired (and they had sent me another Chase one). :lol:

Been saving points doing the daily sony rewards site games, and so far have about $70 worth of points, which I plan on accumulating until I can get $150 for statement credit of Socom 4 Deployment Edition. Basically halfway there. I have a better cashback rewards card for everyday purchases (PENFED) which is cashback to account each month, instead of point redemption hoops. I do use my SONY card for any specific item purchases, but unless its a big ticket item I dont apply for the extra points (points

Well this sucks:
May 30, 2011 will be the last day to participate in the Jeopardy! Premier Club. We hope you have enjoyed the club and would like to thank you for your loyalty and participation. The Points you have earned in the Jeopardy! Premier Club will still be available for redemption via your Sony Rewards account.

Please continue to explore SonyRewards.com to learn about the Wheel Watchers Club and other interactive programs as well as the many fun ways to earn points.
We hope you will continue to watch Jeopardy! for many years to come. Remember, for all of the latest news and information about the show as well as the many ways to play Jeopardy!, visit jeopardy.com.

Best regards,
The Sony Rewards Team

Are Amazon Warehouse Deals eligible for purchase credits?

I've used the purchase credit option in the past to buy Sony items from Amazon, but only brand new items from regular old Amazon.

If anyone has any experience, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read they're getting rid of the daily Jeopardy challenges at the end of May. Seems with the change to Capital One they're making it more difficult to get free points. I'm thinking it'll be better in the long run to get a cash back rewards card from someone else instead.

How exactly does the $100 credit thing work? I distinctly remember reading when I signed up that after my first purchase I'd receive a $100 credit. Maybe I was imagining it, but nowhere on the Sony Rewards site does it say that that offer is still valid.:cry:

That's bout the only reason I signed up for the card, aside from trying to build up a credit score of some sort.;)

[quote name='velvet396']Are Amazon Warehouse Deals eligible for purchase credits?

I've used the purchase credit option in the past to buy Sony items from Amazon, but only brand new items from regular old Amazon.

If anyone has any experience, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!:D[/QUOTE]

I have successfully gotten credit for an amazon warehouse purchase. I was shocked and figured it couldn't hurt. Im not sure if that will work as well in the future with the credit card transition to capital one.

I already received my $100 in bonus points and spent them on Ratchet & Clank: Crack In Time and Little Big Planet 2 from the store. Sweet deal. I spent $5 n change at Kmart and I received $100 worth of points to spend online. Can't beat that.;)

Bought Sly Cooper collection at Target on clearance, and my Target receipt says "PS3 MOVE" and the item number listed is their DPCI, not the game's UPC.
Should I fill out the credit form as if I bought a Move controller?? So frustrating.

[quote name='velvet396']Bought Sly Cooper collection at Target on clearance, and my Target receipt says "PS3 MOVE" and the item number listed is their DPCI, not the game's UPC.
Should I fill out the credit form as if I bought a Move controller?? So frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I would just put "PS3 MOVE SLY COOPER COLLECTION" in the first section.

The only time I have had any form rejected was when SONY claimed they didn't receive them (it has happened several times, but they have always let me resubmit the forms. I have had the card for over 10 years).

It looks like the Jeopardy and SPT clubs have been discontinued. This means 60 fewer points a day, and makes the Sony card less attractive.

speaking of canceling, anyone know the "proper" way to cancel a card? I heard that if you cancel a card too soon / the "wrong way" or cancel multiple cards at once it can actually hurt your credit score.

[quote name='Zmonkay']speaking of canceling, anyone know the "proper" way to cancel a card? I heard that if you cancel a card too soon / the "wrong way" or cancel multiple cards at once it can actually hurt your credit score.[/QUOTE]

There's no proper way. You'll take a small hit, period. But for the most part, it'll only be for a couple of months, if you're in good standing.

You'll lose more score (and longer lasting) if it's your oldest card, or it causes your debt to credit ratio raises to over 50%. The last part I'm not sure on, but the rest is pretty much known from trial and error from people on the credit score forums, and matches hints from financial advisers.

How long does it typically take the rewards to ship to your house after you place an order? I ordered LBP2 and R&C: ACIT the other day and I don't think I've received an email saying they shipped.

So which of the point earning programs still work? I just found this thread and only read the OP's post, but it has been updated since 2010. And I know for example the Jeopardy thing is being canned. Do product registration and BD Live, for examples still earn points?

Thank you kindly.

As far as I know the product registration thing is still working, since folks were registering the $.99 Blu-Rays from the Blockbuster sale with the rewards site. I'll have to scour the local BBV stores day one of the next $.99 sale and just buy up a shitton, cuz they supposedly get 100 points per Blu-Ray.;)

[quote name='TedSeattle']It looks like the Jeopardy and SPT clubs have been discontinued. This means 60 fewer points a day, and makes the Sony card less attractive.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know they were cancelling the Sony Pictures questions too until I logged in today. That really sucks, I think I'm done with this card. Oh well, I've gotten a bunch of free stuff over the years and $300 off a PS3 for signing up was pretty decent.

I'll ask you savvy ps card owners a question. I have 20,000 Pts & change. Looking to get my GF a ps3 for some portal 2 action and Blu ray capabilities. What would you suggest. Use points for a sonystyle $200 GC now? Wait for E3 and hope for a pricedrop; if that happens, do u think the Sony rewards site or sonystyle will update the price first? Any other ideas? I'll probably get rid of the card after this redemption due to removal of all the free points.

I know, spastic post. Writing on my iPhone.

[quote name='jughead']I'll ask you savvy ps card owners a question. I have 20,000 Pts & change. Looking to get my GF a ps3 for some portal 2 action and Blu ray capabilities. What would you suggest. Use points for a sonystyle $200 GC now? Wait for E3 and hope for a pricedrop; if that happens, do u think the Sony rewards site or sonystyle will update the price first? Any other ideas? I'll probably get rid of the card after this redemption due to removal of all the free points.

I know, spastic post. Writing on my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Personally I'd get a PS3 from Amazon (due to free shipping and no tax) unless Sonystyle is having some sort of sale I'm unaware of (the rewards site generally charges more in points than most retailers last I checked). You can use the purchase credit option to redeem the purchase.

Can't comment on price drops, but if you're not in a huge hurry might as well wait a week to see if anything happens at E3.

I'm still waiting for my Capital One card. It says I cannot pay my Chase card after the 4th of June. So, when is Capital1 going to give me my new card....oh well.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Personally I'd get a PS3 from Amazon (due to free shipping and no tax) unless Sonystyle is having some sort of sale I'm unaware of (the rewards site generally charges more in points than most retailers last I checked). You can use the purchase credit option to redeem the purchase.

Can't comment on price drops, but if you're not in a huge hurry might as well wait a week to see if anything happens at E3.[/QUOTE]

But I basically have $200 dollars at one of those 2 places. Not amazon. Also, sonystyle has free shipping on orders over 80 bucks or something like that.

[quote name='jughead']But I basically have $200 dollars at one of those 2 places. Not amazon. Also, sonystyle has free shipping on orders over 80 bucks or something like that.[/QUOTE]

If you have 20,000 points, you can buy a new ps3 pretty much anywhere and send in a credit request form. They will deduct the 20,000 points and issue a $200 credit to your card within a few months from the purchase.

[quote name='slowdive21']If you have 20,000 points, you can buy a new ps3 pretty much anywhere and send in a credit request form. They will deduct the 20,000 points and issue a $200 credit to your card within a few months from the purchase.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will look into this. I didn't know they did that. I've been a member and a frequenter of this thread for like 4 years. Crazy.

[quote name='redline']I didn't know they were cancelling the Sony Pictures questions too until I logged in today. That really sucks, I think I'm done with this card. [/QUOTE]

I saw the writing on the wall when they stopped doing the $10 PSN e-coupons and when the 200 points every Saturday thing never came back. It also got to be a bit of a PITA when the daily points things that they did keep started getting real slow or even unresponsive.

I actually closed my Sony card at the start of the year, paid off the whole balance and sorted all of that out, but what's funny is I'm still getting literature in the mail about the changeover to Cap 1.

I have my card still open (don't want to detract from my available credit), but, I've pretty much stopped using it. I switched to the Capital One Platinum card (1.25 miles per dollar spent).

Gotta burn through my last 4,8XX points on this card now though.

How the hell long does it take them to ship an order made from the Sony Rewards site? I placed it on the 27th or so of May and it STILL has not shipped and the points are 'on hold'. WTF!

I just don't want them to take the points and 'forget' to ship me my shit I ordered.:roll:

Sheesh, they even shut down the message boards where the awesome users there were giving all the answers. This program is dying a very quick death, time to cash in and get out for me.

[quote name='cusoman']Sheesh, they even shut down the message boards where the awesome users there were giving all the answers. This program is dying a very quick death, time to cash in and get out for me.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the message boards are shut down, just under maintenence.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I don't think the message boards are shut down, just under maintenence.[/QUOTE]

Probably attacked just like SONY's other sites.

I'm disappointed by losing all the quizzes, but I can't really blame Sony (or Capital One). With all the answers readily available on the message board, it was easy to earn $200 a year in points without using the credit card at all; that's a money-losing proposition for Sony.

"Fill the void"

you can usually just google "wheel of fortune" and the date and get an answer.

Too bad about the rewards site, pretty worthless now. Luckily i have just enough points to get something decent.

[quote name='jallen']"Fill the void"

you can usually just google "wheel of fortune" and the date and get an answer.

Too bad about the rewards site, pretty worthless now. Luckily i have just enough points to get something decent.[/QUOTE]

I did that. I figured out the problem. I was searching for 6-4-11 wheel of fortune puzzle. Today is the 3rd. hehe :dunce:

So, anyone who had a CHASE Sony CC get their Capital 1 card yet? I'm still waiting. It sucks since I cannot log in now and check my account. I called and they basically were clueless stating it should come either this month or next. so, who do I pay, how do I check my balance?

bread's done
Back