2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Mine doesn't say anything about it. I love how it says you "abuse(d)" promos. Perhaps they should've better planned their promos so as not to be "abused" by them.
How would they plan for their promos not to be exploited? All their offers say "no resellers". They already limit trade-ins to one copy per game - that's the official policy. If a store lets you do more than that, that's at your own discretion and you're the one taking the risk. Keep boomerangs to a minimum. I'm sure their recent windfall allows them to devote more resources to loss prevention than they could previously.

How would they plan for their promos not to be exploited? All their offers say "no resellers". They already limit trade-ins to one copy per game - that's the official policy. If a store lets you do more than that, that's at your own discretion and you're the one taking the risk. Keep boomerangs to a minimum. I'm sure their recent windfall allows them to devote more resources to loss prevention than they could previously.
By ensuring that you can't buy a game from them for $X price and trade it in the same day for a profit at $Y price. They constantly sell games for less than the trade value and have done so for years.

They already ensure that. Here's how it works: Associate: "Wow, Watch Dogs trades in for $32 when we only sell it for $20." *Looks into your account and sees that you bought the game from them recently* Account banned.

They already ensure that. Here's how it works: Associate: "Wow, Watch Dogs trades in for $32 when we only sell it for $20." *Looks into your account and sees that you bought the game from them recently* Account banned.
This is far from official policy, and certainly not something to expect. It might happen, but probably not.

Mine says: "Terminate membership: Customer has been using this PUR account to abuse company trade promotions for personal profit. Termianted by LP. Afulton"
So was your account banned and your points revoked and no longer able to renew or earn points from purchases?

I think most people just can't trade in anymore - but can still buy stuff, get certs, earn points, etc.

Has anyone traded in a Switch this week? I know I missed the big shot last month but curious what I could get. Website says $220 plus 10% for pro members.

Any good cert-to-credit movers at the moment? Forza 4 used to be the go-to, but not anymore.

EDIT: BOTW looks good, comes out a couple of bucks ahead with the current 50% bonus.
Thanks for the heads up on BOTW. Converted 25K points plus the $5 monthly cert to trade-in credit. I was a couple of dollars out of pocket since I paid $2.99 for ship from store but would've coughed that up in gas money any way.

Has anyone traded in a Switch this week? I know I missed the big shot last month but curious what I could get. Website says $220 plus 10% for pro members.
I traded in my switch v1 yesterday for $220 cash and I could have got $260 credit. You need the console, dock, ac adapter, hdmi cable, joy con connector thing, joy con's, and the slide for the joy con's with the safety straps attached.

Thanks for the heads up on BOTW. Converted 25K points plus the $5 monthly cert to trade-in credit. I was a couple of dollars out of pocket since I paid $2.99 for ship from store but would've coughed that up in gas money any way.
Are you guys worried about getting banned for doing this? Or do you think it's okay to do "boomerang trades" as long as you're around breaking even?

I've found that messaging them on Twitter provides more accurate information than calling. The person on the phone told me that my trade ban was 3 months, but their Twitter said that it was permanent. They were even able to get my trade ban removed after I inquired about the ban. 

Just want to chime in and state that I saw plenty of Switch consoles for $400 and more on OfferUp in my area with just one game included last year around this time.

Regarding the original Switch that can be hacked, isn't that only if the person didn't upgrade the firmware? Don't most users always update their console to the latest firmware?

Anyone bought dmc3 switch for 4.49 on the gs website recently? I was charged the full 20 and there's nothing i can do about it since i paid with trade credit.

Just want to chime in and state that I saw plenty of Switch consoles for $400 and more on OfferUp in my area with just one game included last year around this time.

Regarding the original Switch that can be hacked, isn't that only if the person didn't upgrade the firmware? Don't most users always update their console to the latest firmware?
No, the exploit can’t be patched on V1 hardware. That’s what makes them so valuable.

I've found that messaging them on Twitter provides more accurate information than calling. The person on the phone told me that my trade ban was 3 months, but their Twitter said that it was permanent. They were even able to get my trade ban removed after I inquired about the ban.
Interesting. What did you say to get it lifted? I've been banned since January.

Anyone bought dmc3 switch for 4.49 on the gs website recently? I was charged the full 20 and there's nothing i can do about it since i paid with trade credit.
You should have been emailed an estimated total with the download code. Mine showed $4.49 and I just confirmed via Gamestop balance check that the correct amount was debited from my tic.

I would think that would be proof of purchase price for any disputes.

You can check tic purchases here.

https://wbiprod.storedvalue.com/wbir/clients/gamestop

I told them that I went to a store to trade in some games and the associate told me that I reached the "trade limit". I basically just asked them how long the "trade limit" was supposed to last and when I should expect to be able to trade in my games again. I was very surprised that they were able to get the ban lifted considering the account had a history of boomerang trades and almost reached the $2000 limit every month. It's helpful to be polite and approach it from the angle of a loyal customer, although getting a ban lifted is far from guaranteed.

If you got an order in for a preowned Animal Crossing a few nights ago and it has not shipped, you are going to get a New version of the game according to a Gamestop email I received. 

Are you guys worried about getting banned for doing this? Or do you think it's okay to do "boomerang trades" as long as you're around breaking even?
Me personally? I've never worried about it but I very rarely flip a purchase from Gamestop back to Gamestop and only did this because I racked up a bunch of points from signing up for a few years of PUR and trading my One S recently.

The folks at my local store are pretty chill and I don't think they care enough to do anything about it but if they did, eh. Not the end of the world.

Honestly, even a few years ago I rarely flipped games from Gamestop back to Gamestop when people were scoring a few grand in TIC by exploiting B2G1 offers and such. I usually flipped my credit to Amazon through higher value Gamecube games when their trade in program was worth a crap.

I just want to tell these people that they aren't getting paid enough to Jr. Detective for Gamestop. As long as the person trading in isn't a dick, why do you care? It's great for your numbers.

So was your account banned and your points revoked and no longer able to renew or earn points from purchases?

I think most people just can't trade in anymore - but can still buy stuff, get certs, earn points, etc.
Good point. Yeah, that account got completely nuked.

If you got an order in for a preowned Animal Crossing a few nights ago and it has not shipped, you are going to get a New version of the game according to a Gamestop email I received.
Can you post the email? I got two of my copies so far. First one traded in at $43, the second one just traded in at $56 haha. The last one is awaiting carrier pickup.

Does anyone know if Gamestop has an extended holiday return period? Bestbuy and Amazon have extended returns to mid Jan for items bought in Nov? 

Thanks.

I just want to tell these people that they aren't getting paid enough to Jr. Detective for Gamestop. As long as the person trading in isn't a dick, why do you care? It's great for your numbers.
Junior Detective! I love that blast from the past. I remember when the occasional Blockbuster employee would go all JD on me. I believe I took this picture at a Burger King and it was so on the nose:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:7886]

You should have been emailed an estimated total with the download code. Mine showed $4.49 and I just confirmed via Gamestop balance check that the correct amount was debited from my tic.

I would think that would be proof of purchase price for any disputes.

You can check tic purchases here.

https://wbiprod.storedvalue.com/wbir/clients/gamestop
Is this legit? Wouldn't want my card info to get stolen from this

I been ban over 1-2 years too. My twitter responds was: At this time, we're no longer able to honor trades from you. While you're still welcome to purchase items online or in-store, we're not able to honor any further trades from you moving forward. This is a permanent decision and there is no process for it to be reviewed so this will be the case at all GameStop locations in-store and online.

So I traded in some Switch games today and got about $160 in store credit and used some of that to buy an Xbox controller that was on sale for $49.49 on the website and used a monthly $5 rewards coupon to lower. Only after I got back home and looked at the receipt did I notice that the controller rung up as $59.99 and $54.99 with the coupon added.

Is this something that'll be easy to fix in store? I talked with customer service over chat they said they couldn't credit me the difference in rewards points or anything like that since it was a store purchase and have to physically go in to get it fixed. Will I also lose my coupon from this? I just started up a pro membership and haven't really dealt with GameStop over the years.

Also just to verify, I also got $43.20 for Animal Crossing and $40 for Mario Odyssey, Mario Tennis, and Mario Maker 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back