The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

[quote name='imamario02']how much are the cases?[/quote]

I think they are around $1 each but you have to buy a pack of 10 or 20 or something... check nintendo's site...

As cool as this is (I've printed out the Metroid Hunters one and am ordering a case for it) it appears that the GBA instructions booklets don't fit in the DS cases. At least they don't fit in the Feel the Magic case I tried to put it in. Just warning you before you guys plop $20+ for new cases.

[quote name='Mouse']As cool as this is (I've printed out the Metroid Hunters one and am ordering a case for it) it appears that the GBA instructions booklets don't fit in the DS cases. At least they don't fit in the Feel the Magic case I tried to put it in. Just warning you before you guys plop $20+ for new cases.[/quote]

I was wondering if they would fit or not.

[quote name='Mouse']As cool as this is (I've printed out the Metroid Hunters one and am ordering a case for it) it appears that the GBA instructions booklets don't fit in the DS cases. At least they don't fit in the Feel the Magic case I tried to put it in. Just warning you before you guys plop $20+ for new cases.[/quote]

Here are some pics of my finished products. I'm excited!!
Here's my games on the shelf:
gbashelf1.jpg

gbashelf2.jpg

Sure beats these old crappy cases!!
gbaoldcases.jpg

Yes, the GBA manuals are a different size, but they will fit if you turn them like i have in these pics. and yes, the cases will close all the way.
manual1.jpg

manual2.jpg

someday i'll get around to doing up the rest of my games....i got lazy after the first batch... :lol:

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='imamario02']how much are the cases?[/quote]

I think they are around $1 each but you have to buy a pack of 10 or 20 or something... check nintendo's site...[/quote]

you can buy one case for $1, but they screw you on shipping. You can get 5 for $4, and 10 for $7. Then it is like $3 shipping. So, I ordered 20 cases for $19 shipped. not too bad.

Just a thought but why dont you guys try to get an online digital photo place to print them for you. Alot of them have like 40 % off and stuff, try ofoto or one of the others. It would be like .19 cents a piece or something, just a thought.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Just a thought but why dont you guys try to get an online digital photo place to print them for you. Alot of them have like 40 % off and stuff, try ofoto or one of the others. It would be like .19 cents a piece or something, just a thought.[/quote]

that's not a bad idea. if you could find a place that would print them for cheaper than the cost of phot paper and printer ink, that'd be cool...or if your printer sucks...

Oh man, that is so hot. Major props, organicow. Note: Everyone else who's making these cases should use the little Game Boy Advance logo that organicow made on his cases, so it'll be easier to find your games on the shelf. Just a suggestion.

How did you get the resolution on the GBA covers so nice? If you made them at 300 resolution, the GBA covers come out painfully small, so when you re-scale them, they look kind of pixelated. I'm using Photoshop.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']How did you get the resolution on the GBA covers so nice? If you made them at 300 resolution, the GBA covers come out painfully small, so when you re-scale them, they look kind of pixelated. I'm using Photoshop.[/quote]

I'm not sure what we're doing different... here's my process from start to finish:
1. scan gba boxes with my HP scanner at 300 dpi, using the 'import -> from scanner' function in Photoshop.
2. crop them to get any edges off, adjust contrast, etc.
3. drag and drop the saved scans onto my blank template (sized appropriately, and at 300 dpi). this template has a canvas size (and therefore print size) that matches the DS case.
4. arrange everything right
5. print with my Epson R300M printer. it is important to note that in order to get there covers to look right, you have to have a printer that allows you to print really close to the edge of the paper...otherwise some will get cut off...

that's it! theoretically, if you just downloaded one of my 300dpi .jpgs, you could open it in PS, and then drag and drop your 300 dpi scans on top of it.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']How did you get the resolution on the GBA covers so nice? If you made them at 300 resolution, the GBA covers come out painfully small, so when you re-scale them, they look kind of pixelated. I'm using Photoshop.[/quote]

I'm not sure what we're doing different... here's my process from start to finish:
1. scan gba boxes with my HP scanner at 300 dpi, using the 'import -> from scanner' function in Photoshop.
3. drag and drop the saved scans onto my blank template (sized appropriately, and at 300 dpi). this template has a canvas size (and therefore print size) that matches the DS case.
5. print with my Epson R300M printer. it is important to note that in order to get there covers to look right, you have to have a printer that allows you to print really close to the edge of the paper...otherwise some will get cut off...

that's it! theoretically, if you just downloaded one of my 300dpi .jpgs, you could open it in PS, and then drag and drop your 300 dpi scans on top of it.[/quote]

Hm. I guess the difference is I'm not scanning, I'm getting the cover from Amazon and creating the back cover from scratch. Hm..... I used the dimensions you used, though, so in the end, it should be the same size and such, even though we took different paths. It's just a pain for me to arrange/scale the imported pictures. I wish I had a scanner.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']How did you get the resolution on the GBA covers so nice? If you made them at 300 resolution, the GBA covers come out painfully small, so when you re-scale them, they look kind of pixelated. I'm using Photoshop.[/quote]

that's it! theoretically, if you just downloaded one of my 300dpi .jpgs, you could open it in PS, and then drag and drop your 300 dpi scans on top of it.[/quote]

Hm. I guess the difference is I'm not scanning, I'm getting the cover from Amazon and creating the back cover from scratch. Hm..... I used the dimensions you used, though, so in the end, it should be the same size and such, even though we took different paths. It's just a pain for me to arrange/scale the imported pictures. I wish I had a scanner.[/quote]

ah, yes. getting the covers from amazon is trouble because they are only 72 dpi (usually). that's why they are so pixelated when you size them. you should try www.cdcovers.cc. they have front and back scans that are not the best, but generally much better resolution than amazon. the site is a bit wonky to navigate, but i've gotten a few things off there before.

So, organicow, any more of these cases coming along? I have some requests for anyone willing to heed the call:

Pinball of the Dead
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Golden Sun
Iridion 3D

[quote name='zewone']I request Wario Ware. If you ever get a chance.[/quote]

I gotcha covered, zew. I'm working on it now. I just have to scan in the back part of the case....

[quote name='organicow']
(BTW, if you want to do this too, you can buy empty DS game cases in the nintendo.com store.)[/quote]

thanks for the heads up.... got a few... also... they are selling blank GC cases... also the doubles discers... for a buck each....

ANOTHER THING TO NOTE.... yes you can buy old manuals... but new ones are avaialbe in PDF form.... which carries some NICE vector graphics from nintendo packaging.... INCLUDING the NINTENDO OFFICIAL SEAL OF QUALITY!

(sorry to be quasi graphic design nintendo geek there for second... but somobodies gotta understand how cool that is...)

A little printing help...My printer here at work (awesome laser color printer) wouldn't print these at 100%....so I ended up using Legal size paper...and they printed out fine this way. You may want to try that if you are having issues. Just put Castlevania COTM in a DS case. Awesome.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']How did you get the resolution on the GBA covers so nice? If you made them at 300 resolution, the GBA covers come out painfully small, so when you re-scale them, they look kind of pixelated. I'm using Photoshop.[/quote]

Hm. I guess the difference is I'm not scanning, I'm getting the cover from Amazon and creating the back cover from scratch. Hm..... I used the dimensions you used, though, so in the end, it should be the same size and such, even though we took different paths. It's just a pain for me to arrange/scale the imported pictures. I wish I had a scanner.[/quote]

ah, yes. getting the covers from amazon is trouble because they are only 72 dpi (usually). that's why they are so pixelated when you size them. you should try www.cdcovers.cc. they have front and back scans that are not the best, but generally much better resolution than amazon. the site is a bit wonky to navigate, but i've gotten a few things off there before.[/quote]

Connect to form.... Bumpatron!!!

Sorry to bother you but do you know the size specs of the DS box? Thanks.

Just thought that I'd drop a quick note about the instruction book fitting in there. I tried this last night in my feel the magic case and i came up with a few thoughts. First you can just leave it sitting to the right of the little hooks that hold down the book if you are worried about the hooks causing the book to have a permanent bend over time, otherwise you can also use something like an exacto knife to cut out the top part that is meant to keep the DS instruction books in there tightly. I know that it's not much but I hope that it helps someone. :?

I have access to the Nintendo Press site and thus most of the front box art at 800x800 already at 300dpi if that helps anyone.

I'd do this, but there's some games I know won't fit in the DS cases that I own, such as Boktai, and soon WarioWare Twisted. If I can't have it uniform, I won't bother.

Anyone planning on reviving this? My PS skills are far too horrid to attempt this, but I could probably scan some boxes.

So I lied, my PS skills are way better than I let on.

Okay, I made some low-res versions that have been sized back up to what they should be to be printed at full-size to make the screen. I started with a lot of low-quality images, many have the watermark from the Moby Games website or show the reflection from the shrinkwrap on the edge of the box, but I printed them out and despite being 500x500ish images originally, they look fairly decent, so if you can't wait for people to upload high-res scans of some of these games, you can go ahead and grab them from me. Here's a list of what I did:
  • Advance Wars 1
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Dr. Mario
    Golden Sun
    Guilty Gear X Advance Edition
    Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong
    Super Mario World: Mario Advance 2
    Metroid Fusion
    Pokemon Sapphire
    Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$
You can find mine in this folder:
http://www.highlyderivative.net/~casey/misc/gba_box/mine/
and I went ahead and took the liberty of mirroring the other ones that had been posted already:
http://www.highlyderivative.net/~casey/misc/gba_box/cag/

If anyone has the box art for Advance Wars 2 and could scan it, that would be awesome-- I've only found the front cover in a low-res version. Also, I really would like some box art for my Famicom Mini Series 3 import of Balloon Fight, but there hasn't been a US release, so... uh... unless someone feels like improvising for me, oh well.

[quote name='alongx']
What resolution did you scan yours in at? I only ask because the text seems pretty blurry. I'd make some myself if I had a scanner or a printer that could print these off nicely, but I don't. Oh well.[/quote]

Er, maybe I failed to explain above: I didn't scan any of these-- I just looked around the internet for box art. Moby Games seemd to have the majority of them, and so they are low-res, blurry, and most of them have little Moby Games watermarks on them. As I said in my post above, I recognize these aren't of the best quality, but I printed them out on some color printers that the labs here at my university have and they look decent-- that is, the front cover art looks okay and the back cover text is readable. So if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but since I don't really have a way of getting high-res art (no scanners available) and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to post some of the obscure titles I had, I went ahead and made these.

sorry for the absence...finals at school are this week, and my comparative politics class really kicked my ass.

anyhoo, I plan to make Advance Wars 2, Sonic 2, and a coupla others this week. I, too, would like a WarioWare cover, but I seem to have lost my box; if anyone wants to scan it (at 330 dpi or better) and email it to me, I'll make it top priority.

Hopefully I can get back on this a bit more once my finals are over on Wed....

[quote name='soda']Er, maybe I failed to explain above: I didn't scan any of these-- I just looked around the internet for box art. Moby Games seemd to have the majority of them, and so they are low-res, blurry, and most of them have little Moby Games watermarks on them. As I said in my post above, I recognize these aren't of the best quality, but I printed them out on some color printers that the labs here at my university have and they look decent-- that is, the front cover art looks okay and the back cover text is readable. So if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but since I don't really have a way of getting high-res art (no scanners available) and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to post some of the obscure titles I had, I went ahead and made these.[/quote]

Didn't mean to sound like a dick or an ingrate, was just asking out of curiosity.

[quote name='alongx']
Didn't mean to sound like a dick or an ingrate, was just asking out of curiosity.[/quote]

Nah, s'okay. I felt kind of stupid for posting the low-res ones here in the first place since the high-quality ones initially posted look SO GOOD when you print them out, but when I printed out the ones I scrapped together and they looked decent, I figured I might as well throw 'em up here.

I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.

[quote name='Snowcone']I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.[/quote]

That would be so choice.

bread's done
Back