The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

[quote name='Snowcone']I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.[/quote]

Dont do all that....just make a Photoshop action.

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='Snowcone']I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.[/quote]

Dont do all that....just make a Photoshop action.[/quote]

If I could make a web based app that did it then not every would be required to have PS to create these. I may do both since the action is enough as well.

Ok someone may have mentioned this and I just missed it in the jumble of all the posts but how to you get the side of the game where all it has is the name and the GBA logo.

[quote name='Beccaboo0713']Ok someone may have mentioned this and I just missed it in the jumble of all the posts but how to you get the side of the game where all it has is the name and the GBA logo.[/quote]

You take the logo for the game and create it.

Ok thanks for your help. I am really not good with those kind of programs but I will see what I can do. I think that this is a great idea and right now I have all my games and instruction booklets in a make up case. So needless to say I need to do something about that.

I would like to see somebody does this, but with the art from the Japanese versions of GBA games. The Japanese box art is better 99% of the time and doesn't have the ugly GBA bar on the side of the front of the box.

supermarioadvance4_thumb.jpg

http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/supermarioadvance4.jpg

I also mirrored all the covers to date here: http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/

[quote name='sillycon']I would like to see somebody does this, but with the art from the Japanese versions of GBA games. The Japanese box art is better 99% of the time and doesn't have the ugly GBA bar on the side of the front of the box.[/quote]

Good luck finding high res scans of the Japanese box art.

i have a bunch of boxes for games that i don't have anymore. does anyone want them that can put them up for others to make cases out of. email me at [email protected] i can get a list of the names of the games when i go home friday.

Jeff

My application for dynamically creating these is well under way but it appears there is a limit to the filesize that the php gd library can handle. My sub 100k files open just fine but the 1MB files just error out. I am looking into it.

[quote name='fuzzman24']i have a bunch of boxes for games that i don't have anymore. does anyone want them that can put them up for others to make cases out of. email me at [email protected] i can get a list of the names of the games when i go home friday.

Jeff[/quote]

I emailed you about the boxes.

I have the automation partially working but it assumes you have the cover, backcover, and spine with the proper dimensions. I will finish up the page tomorrow morning and let you guys have at it.

The cover and backcover both need to be 1535x1370 and the spine needs to be 190x1370. I also pulled out the GBA logo for the spine and cleaned it up a little bit and then I will post a link to it for anyone interested in doing this. If you don't want to do it, you can always do the scans and let me know and I will do it for you.

Ladies (who are we kidding?) and Gentlemen, I have posted some new covers for your printing pleasure. On the 1st page of this thread, in the OP you will find 3 new covers from me, as well as:
I fixed the stretched spine on deathprawn's Wario cover; I added the GBA logo to the spine of the designs from Swick and Masha; I resized some of them for consistency.

Keep 'em comin guys, we are all doing cool work! And thanks for the WWare design - I seem to have lost my box...

Snowcone - above and beyond the call of duty, my man. that program sounds real cool; hopefully it will get more people involved here!

[quote name='ChrisXE']I really would love if some one can get these

Kingdom Hearts: CHain of Memories
FF:dawn of souls[/quote]

I'd be happy to do these up if someone could email me some scans of the front, back, and spine all at 300 dpi or greater!

Hmm...I wonder....

Perhaps CAG can set up an official GBA DS case shop and organicow can be the shopkeeper?

It's worth a shot if you're willing to try it...

[quote name='Sartori']Organic, ever decide if you could print and send a Metroid cover/case for me for a little compensation?

Thanks![/quote]

Sure! Which Metroid did you want - Zero Mission or Fusion? I recently traded off those games (i finished them, but now i'm wishing I'd kept them... :( ), so I'd need to get scans of the box from someone. Can you scan yours? If not, I'm sure I can get them somewhere...

Also, I'm in the process of setting up an ftp on my server so we can all contribute if we want. It'll have an 'inbox' where CAGs can upload scans, and an 'archive' for finished products; that way we can all share easily. I may host other things like mookyjooky's PS1 & DC covers too...we'll aee. Anyhoo, I'll let you guys know when I get it ready.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='ChrisXE']I really would love if some one can get these

Kingdom Hearts: CHain of Memories
FF:dawn of souls[/quote]

I'd be happy to do these up if someone could email me some scans of the front, back, and spine all at 300 dpi or greater![/quote]
Hmm..dunno if you could scan KH:CoM cause the box is foil. Would be great if you could get around it though.

Updated, so BUMP!!

I put a couple new designs on the front page - four by mookyjooky and a couple from snowcone. We're getting quite a collection here!!

Almost all my GBA games in collection are sealed or cart only (to play). You can look at it and let me know what cover do you want. I'll see if I can make a good scan out of sealed boxes.

BTW. I'll put that GBA logo next time. Personaly, I don't like it. Looks ugly IMHO.

For the Chain of Memories box, I am going to custom create one if that is ok with everyone. I found lots of good art and while I am going to recreate the back of the box, the front will be unique to us and not perfectly match the US or Japanese box art. Damned foil paper.

It seems like some boxes are going to print out much larger than they should (like the WarioWare one). Can anybody write the dimensions of what the pictures should be (maybe put it on the site snowcone)?

[quote name='evilmax17']It seems like some boxes are going to print out much larger than they should (like the WarioWare one). Can anybody write the dimensions of what the pictures should be (maybe put it on the site snowcone)?[/quote]

You have to print them out in there actual size. If you print them using internet explorer they will print too big.

Does anyone else think the games are a bit hard to get in and out of these cases?

[quote name='evilmax17']It seems like some boxes are going to print out much larger than they should (like the WarioWare one). Can anybody write the dimensions of what the pictures should be (maybe put it on the site snowcone)?[/quote]

They should be 3260x1370 and their physical dims should be 27.6cmx11.6cm or 10.867"x4.567"

I am pretty much out of GBA games. My library is quite small. I emailed Jeff about acquiring his extra boxes. Until then I can only work with what is sent to me. That or I can create completely unofficial ones, but back covers are tough to do like that.

Well I'm going to the campus production lab tomorrow and it has a nice scanner, but unfortunately you guys have pretty done my whole GBa collection save a handful of games. Lemme know if you need any scans though and I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Well I'm going to the campus production lab tomorrow and it has a nice scanner, but unfortunately you guys have pretty done my whole GBa collection save a handful of games. Lemme know if you need any scans though and I'll see what I can do.[/quote]

What games do you have that we haven't done? Scan them all and get the scans to me and I will do them.

Prays for Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls , can anybody do this one pleas :), I would but I have no scanner and no clue, nice job on the KH's one snowcone, cant wait to see your custom made one :)

Organicow, Snowcone, Mooky Jooky and everyone else making inserts:

Okay, I've scanned a bunch of boxes, and still have more to go. All at 350 dpi. But getting them to you guys to create the inserts might be a problem. I'm having issues with my main email, and they're too big to send through my yahoo account. Any ideas?

What I've scanned so far:

Advance Wars 1
Counter Punch
Double Dragon
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Klonoa
Mario Golf Advance
Metroid Zero
Ninja Five-0
Shining Soul
Shining Soul 2