The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Just get one for the old style xbox and remove it from the casing. As long as you don't plan on moving it around alot, you don't even need the housing. Both of my 360S consoles were bought as 4GB. One has an officialy 250GB upgrade (with housing) and the other has a 120GB HDD (no housing) from my old elite.

I put the 120 GB from my old Xbox in one of those snap together cases from china. Works great! It wasn't hard to remove the drive from the old case. Just look for a guide online.

So I am going to buy a xbox 360s from a guy who had an old 20gb hdd in the slot where the slim hard drive goes. Does that void the warranty / are there any issues I am going to run into if I buy it? Just wondering...

[quote name='perdition(troy']So I am going to buy a xbox 360s from a guy who had an old 20gb hdd in the slot where the slim hard drive goes. Does that void the warranty / are there any issues I am going to run into if I buy it? Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

When you ship it in for warranty they tell you to keep your hard drive unless the issue is with the hard drive IIRC.

[quote name='perdition(troy']So I am going to buy a xbox 360s from a guy who had an old 20gb hdd in the slot where the slim hard drive goes. Does that void the warranty / are there any issues I am going to run into if I buy it? Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

Harddrives won't void the warranty. You can use any old 360 HDD in the slims, they just need to be disassembled down to the actual drive.

It would void the warranty, if you get caught.

It could also damage the physical connection...which might be suspicious to them also.

My XBox Live Gold subscription is due to expire in a few days. The credit card they have on file is an old one that doesn't work any more, but I have auto-renew turned off. I plan to renew the subscription using a code instead of a new credit card. Should I wait for my subscription to expire so I can remove the old credit card, or, since auto-renew is turned off, does it not matter?

My son has two White Wireless Controllers (Microsoft Brand), which have battery packs that hold two AA rechargeable batteries that he changes out day in/day out.
One battery pack no longer stays in; the other one is working on going that same route.
Instead of buying two new controllers, can't I just buy him new battery packs?

Would something like this work: 1) HERE or this: 2) HERE

Does it matter that these don't appear to take AA batteries, but are a battery in themselves? (or do they still take AA batteries)

(He may know the answer to these questions, but I'm trying to tack down the rest of his birthday presents without his knowledge)

Thank you for any help!

[quote name='erbaledge']My son has two White Wireless Controllers (Microsoft Brand), which have battery packs that hold two AA rechargeable batteries that he changes out day in/day out.
One battery pack no longer stays in; the other one is working on going that same route.
Instead of buying two new controllers, can't I just buy him new battery packs?

Would something like this work: 1) HERE or this: 2) HERE

Does it matter that these don't appear to take AA batteries, but are a battery in themselves? (or do they still take AA batteries)

(He may know the answer to these questions, but I'm trying to tack down the rest of his birthday presents without his knowledge)

Thank you for any help![/QUOTE]

Absolutely, the battery packs have a limited recharge life, and can be replaced seperately from the controllers. You can also trade them into Gamestop :)

just upgraded to a slim 250 GB beast...I'm actually kinda bummed it was preloaded with any bonus themes, gamerpics, or even demos. previous elites had a variety of gamerpics, I remember the lego batman/pure one had Fallout 3 gamerpics and even some baseball logos.

oh well.

I have a few questions:

Which bundle do you think is better, the Gears bundle or the MW3 bundle? I do not own a 360 yet but I am considering one of these bundles. Leaning heavily towards the MW3 bundle. I plan on selling the game inside as I have no interest in playing it but I don't own any limited edition systems so this is my big chance to grab one. Really like the silver of the MW3 console too.

Also, about the controllers. The MW3 console includes 2 controllers with the transforming D-pad? Is this a bad kind of controller to get? I hear the transforming D-pad breaks very quickly? Should I avoid the bundle because of this, or is it something not really worth worrying about.

Also the chatpad will connect to this type of controller right?

I would just about break even on the cost of the bundle if I sold the game inside especially considering new controllers are $60 each and I figure I will go through more than one in the system's lifetime. The MW3 also has a bigger hard drive which will be nice since, well I have a lot of games already even though I don't own the 360 yet, and I plan on installing them all to save wear and tear. I also plan on downloading a lot of arcade games and stuff from the marketplace.

I contemplated on this earlier before actually deciding on just getting the slim w/the $75 GC.

imo pros: GOW3 console
- it's kinda sexah in red
- it has unique power up and disc tray sounds
- profit potential on the DLC codes included are high
- GOW3 controllers really do look nice
- more ppl may be inclined to buying GOW standard

imo cons: GOW console
- it says GEARS OF WAR on the console in chrome
- it's a GOW3 themed console
--

imo pros: MW3 console
- if you ever scratch or damage your console no one will notice
- it has unique power up and disc tray sounds (heck yeah!)
- it's MW3 themed

imo cons: MW3 console
- it's MW3 themed (im not crazy w/the battle dmg look tbh)
- not a lot of DLC to really make a profit on
- it might be harder to sell the game because of the bonuses the hardened and prestige edition comes with.

other: both consoles are 320 GB.

the verdict: the GOW3 console is probably a better purchase if you're planning to get the most out of selling it's contents...plus it's coming out Sept 20th vs. early Nov.

about chat pads and improved D-pad contollers: yes, chatpads snap tight into these just like any other controllers, they is no difference in the functionality of the new controllers except it has a telescopic d-pad which makes d-pad controls more defined and less random.

I agree the GOW is probably the better deal since it comes with the bonus DLC which could probably be sold for quite a profit. I think you have to preorder from GS to get that DLC, but I am not sure about that.

The GOW console is also shiny, and the MW console is matte from what I understand.

I figure the MW game will sell for about $40, I do not think there will be a problem selling the game if I put it on ebay it will definitely sell, I am willing to ship internationally. As long as I mention its the version from the bundle I should be fine. With the $60 value of the extra controller I break even and get a limited edition console with a bigger hard drive than the standard slim.

The codes would be difficult to sell on ebay, as a lot of people scam those who sell the codes. I have a lot of experience selling on ebay but I do not have experience selling digital download codes. I don't know where else you can sell a code.

Its a little early to see but its possible GS could announce preorder DLC for the MW bundle too.

I wonder how fast these bundles will sell out, personally if one is offered with a retail gift card I would probably go for it. After all this will be my big splurge.

Overall I think that these 2 limited bundles sound like a better value rather than splurging on the $399 bundle that comes with the slim 250GB and the Kinect. I want a kinect but I do not think I have much use for it as my room is too small to use it in. I am not interested in spending another $30 on the add on either that allows you to use Kinect in a smaller room, and we don't even know how well that add on works yet. Finding a place for the Kinect would be a problem as well, as I do not have anywhere to mount it, which would probably involve me spending $30-50 on some ridiculously overpriced kinect mount. The way I figure it the Wii sensor bar will sit on top of the HDTV, attaching that will be super easy, however I will have no idea where to put the kinect since the top of the HDTV will already be taken up by the Wii sensor bar. The Kinect is large and it moves around, so it would require the mount. Regardless me getting a kinect would probably result in me spending way too much money to get it working properly in this room. Its not like I don't have enough games to play as it is! I have no intentions of getting rid of my Wii either.

There is also the star wars console to think about, however that one costs more and comes with kinect and only one controller, and it doesn't come out till after the holidays. I definitely want to purchase before the holidays.

If there was a regular slim holiday bundle announced that I liked that came with games and the hard drive I might be swayed towards that though, especially if the slim gets upgraded to 320GB instead of 250GB.

Still a little early to make my decision, the slim matte 250GB console isn't out yet either, so I am curious to see what they bundle with that.

You should honestly get a lot closer to MSRP on MW3 especially since it's not even opened.

the DLC codes are for the console and 1 for preodering, + the infected omens wpn for the extra controller you get in the bundle. As for selling all this stuff, you're in NY...just use craiglists. if ppl are local enough you'll save on shipping costs and person to person transactions are good.

the reason I don't want a kinect is because then I'll be inclined to getting kinect games. I have enough of a backlog and if I need to dance, i'll go to a club.

the 250GB console is bare bones...I just set up mine, i'm still installing games as we speak. It literally comes with just enough to play your games. contoller, battery, power brick, cables to connect it to your tv, and of course the console itself. No HDMI cable, no ethernet cord, no bonus gamerpics or themes, no demos (ironically), and the packaging is like IKEA furniature...it's tight, minimal to save money.

I don't see the bundled consoles coming w/incentive to buy outside of a preoder bonus. the additional controller, game, and 320 GB HDD really makes up for the extra $100 cost. I did the math and if you sell the game and controller you're really just paying for the extra HD space + unique sound efx. you might earn some rewards point from BB or TRU since you're spending $ at their store.

I wouldn't expect the system to come with the HDMI cable, but you can get that for like $5-10 at monoprice. The bundled systems also come with a barebones headset.

The consoles have built in wifi, at least you aren't stuck purchasing a $100 adapter this time around if your router is not in the same room as your console. I have a wireless router so I will not need an ethernet cable, if I do again that can be purchased at monoprice for very little cost.

Its pretty much like you said 100xp, you can break even if you sell the controller + game but you also get the benefit of having a limited edition console plus you get 2 limited edition controllers so you can choose to sell one if you want.

If you are factoring in resale value then definitely get the limited edition bundle as they will no doubt go up in price in a few years. The limited edition controllers will also be worth more than a standard controller, however you are paying the same price for limited vs standard controllers if you get the bundle. As I assume the limited controllers and standard controllers function the same and cost the same price other than the paint job on the plastic. I don't plan on selling the system as it would be my only Xbox system. I am the type of person who finds it quite satisfying to stare at something that is limited edition though vs something that is the standard item that everyone else has.

You can download the hexic game from the market place for free if you go to xbox.com with your live account and put it in your download queue. There is also a doritos game you can get for free. There is also other free content on there like themes. No idea if those themes come with gamerpics or not as I don't have a console to test it on.

I am assuming some people probably want a clean hard drive without any crap on it, and for that the 250GB bundle will probably suit them well.

I already have a large stash of AA rechargeable batteries so I figure I am set for batteries. You guys have no idea how many batteries I have. I doubt I will run out.

If you buy at Kmart you can get Shop your way rewards points.

Same situation as SaraAB here.

Do not own Xbox. Want one for 1 reason: To play with friends. Honestly, none of the games entice me, but I'll try out Gears.

I'm deciding between waiting for the Star Wars bundle or preordering the Gears console as it seems like the best deal.

What detracts from the Star Wars bundle is the fact that the game is gonna suck, 1 controller, and Kinect. I want Kinect, but not for the Xbox. I want it for my PC (so I need to get the adapter and power supply kit) to develop and hack on for fun. I have zero interest in any Kinect game.

What is nice about the Gears bundle is I will actually play Gears and all my friends will have it. 2 Controllers. The larger hard drive, although probably not needed is bonus.

Gears + an extra controller and smaller hard drive is not far off in total price (about $90 - $100 after buying both on Amazon). So the total to get the 250GB + Gears + another controller would be about $365 - $375. Smaller hard drive and I guess this DLC is worth something...? No clue.

So, anyone want to suede me towards keep waiting for Star Wars bundle or just dive into this Xbox scene with this Gears bundle? Don't care about resale, I won't ever sell it. I'm a pack rat. The Star Wars console is much cooler in my opinion, but just the console, the other stuff it comes with is mostly crap, well, the gold controller is neat.

I would personally go with the gears console in your situation, the star wars console doesn't sound worth it, and if you want kinect you can probably a score a unit on sale during the holidays. I am not sure if the stand alone unit includes the power supply kit or not but perhaps it does. Kinect will also be bundled with a child of eden digital code for a while so that could potentially net you some resale value even if you don't play it. Or I would gladly take that code off your hands if you don't want it heh even though you can play child of eden without kinect too.

I am just wondering how long these bundles will last at retail, especially the MW3 one that comes out on November 8th which is very close to black friday. I would fully expect the MW3 console to be gone by black friday no questions asked. In the past my area has sold out of these things really fast, and game consoles are usually very hard to get at any retail store during the holidays in my area. I would like to buy at Kmart but I might have to break down and preorder at Gamestop so stock doesn't fly off the shelf before I am able to get one. I also watched the limited Red and Orange DSi systems disappear from the shelves the same day they were released. Hopefully I don't have to worry about this thing flying off shelves at retail on the first day at least..

The star wars bundle also doesn't come with 2 controllers, it only has one.

TRU has a deal where if you buy a gears console you get a year of xbox live for free, if I read that right, its on the forums in the deal section right now.

I have about 200 Xbox games on my want list (not including anything on xbox live arcade), surely there must be something you want to play, the xbox has a huge library, and you can play original Xbox games on it too.

[quote name='SaraAB']I would personally go with the gears console in your situation, the star wars console doesn't sound worth it, and if you want kinect you can probably a score a unit on sale during the holidays. I am not sure if the stand alone unit includes the power supply kit or not but perhaps it does. Kinect will also be bundled with a child of eden digital code for a while so that could potentially net you some resale value even if you don't play it. Or I would gladly take that code off your hands if you don't want it heh even though you can play child of eden without kinect too.

I am just wondering how long these bundles will last at retail, especially the MW3 one that comes out on November 8th which is very close to black friday. I would fully expect the MW3 console to be gone by black friday no questions asked. In the past my area has sold out of these things really fast, and game consoles are usually very hard to get at any retail store during the holidays in my area. I would like to buy at Kmart but I might have to break down and preorder at Gamestop so stock doesn't fly off the shelf before I am able to get one. I also watched the limited Red and Orange DSi systems disappear from the shelves the same day they were released. Hopefully I don't have to worry about this thing flying off shelves at retail on the first day at least..

The star wars bundle also doesn't come with 2 controllers, it only has one.

TRU has a deal where if you buy a gears console you get a year of xbox live for free, if I read that right, its on the forums in the deal section right now.

I have about 200 Xbox games on my want list (not including anything on xbox live arcade), surely there must be something you want to play, the xbox has a huge library, and you can play original Xbox games on it too.[/QUOTE]

The first run stand-alone Kinect units came with the power adapter, and I don't see why they wouldn't still, since you need them to use the Kinect with the old style 360s.

[quote name='SaraAB']
I have about 200 Xbox games on my want list (not including anything on xbox live arcade), surely there must be something you want to play, the xbox has a huge library, and you can play original Xbox games on it too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does, but they are almost all multiplatform, so I don't count them. I can't think of a single exclusive game I want honestly. The only thing that excites me is playing online with firiends and some of the XBLA games, but many of the best ones have already been pulled in my opinion. I looking forward to the reviews for Fire Pro Wrestling the most if anything Xbox exclusive. I mostly play single player RPG and Nintendo franchise games. There are enough to keep me busy.

Does anyone know how it would work if i sold my old Xbox to someone, but its still under warranty because ive been buying the 30 dollar warranty extensions to keep it under. So if i sold it and new buyer calls MS to buy a warranty extension, how would that work because its under my address, email, and all that jazz.

[quote name='b3b0p']Same situation as SaraAB here.

Do not own Xbox. Want one for 1 reason: To play with friends. Honestly, none of the games entice me, but I'll try out Gears.

I'm deciding between waiting for the Star Wars bundle or preordering the Gears console as it seems like the best deal.

What detracts from the Star Wars bundle is the fact that the game is gonna suck, 1 controller, and Kinect. I want Kinect, but not for the Xbox. I want it for my PC (so I need to get the adapter and power supply kit) to develop and hack on for fun. I have zero interest in any Kinect game.

What is nice about the Gears bundle is I will actually play Gears and all my friends will have it. 2 Controllers. The larger hard drive, although probably not needed is bonus.

Gears + an extra controller and smaller hard drive is not far off in total price (about $90 - $100 after buying both on Amazon). So the total to get the 250GB + Gears + another controller would be about $365 - $375. Smaller hard drive and I guess this DLC is worth something...? No clue.

So, anyone want to suede me towards keep waiting for Star Wars bundle or just dive into this Xbox scene with this Gears bundle? Don't care about resale, I won't ever sell it. I'm a pack rat. The Star Wars console is much cooler in my opinion, but just the console, the other stuff it comes with is mostly crap, well, the gold controller is neat.[/QUOTE]

I would go with the GOW bundle. If get it from Target, you also get a $40 giftcard, which could then be put towards a Kinect, whenever they go on sale.

[quote name='sp00ge']I would go with the GOW bundle. If get it from Target, you also get a $40 giftcard, which could then be put towards a Kinect, whenever they go on sale.[/QUOTE]

Did not know this. I guess I missed this. Taxes does't make this a good deal. Factoring in the cost to drive to Target from where I am, it's gonna cost even more (45-60 miles).

I'll probably just order it from Amazon today. Cancel my Star Wars Bundle Preorder.

[quote name='SaraAB']Maybe wait till middle of the week or at least Monday/Tuesday to see if Amazon matches that gift card offer.[/QUOTE]

They actually just matched it a couple of hours ago.

[quote name='100xp']some news, seemed to fit this thread.

Re: expired CC's on your XBL account still being charged.
http://www.destructoid.com/beware-xbox-live-s-zombie-expired-credit-card-charges-213136.phtml[/QUOTE]

The whole live billing process seems scam-y to me. I've heard non-stop weird things like that since they launched the system, and then I personally when I signed up for Gold for the first time last year (just expired) had to spend two phone calls and an hour on the phone to get rid of it, and the guy is grilling me about what I like, don't I want this, don't I want that, what do your friends do with this, that, etc.

It was not a super cool experience, whatever people bashing me want to say :whistle2:/

my experiences with xbox customer service have been both good and horrible, but ultimately i'm sure if anyone is cancelling service it's in their best interest to undertand why and/or try and convince you not to.

From what I hear a ton of people are getting their Live accounts hacked so I can understand why there are a ton of people trying to cancel their service or get their credit card removed. I have a personal policy where I do not put a credit card number into any of these types of services due to fraud because almost all of them get hacked at one point or another. I had my iTunes account hacked and not using a credit card saved my butt basically. But I do feel for people who entered their information before it was known it was dangerous to do that, because XBox Live has been around for a lnog time. Once your credit card is in their database it can be compromised even if its expired or defunct. If I do decide to go Gold its going to be done exclusively through prepaid cards.

As far as the live billing issues I do not put my credit card into anything that is an auto-renew, and live is an auto-renew service with no easy option to turn it off, other than to call and I don't live in the state of Illinois. There are a couple magazines that do not get my business because the only way to subscribe is through a credit card which is automatically renewed.

That is just the hard drive though, it would be nice if they upgraded all the 250GB's to 320GB and just started selling a 320GB system instead of 250GB.

When you consider the fact that you don't even get the full amount of space, I think I heard the 320GB is really 290GB of actual space then and what you can do with the extra space I think its well worth it to get the biggest hard drive available.

[quote name='Spybreak8']320 GB Xbox 360 on the way.

I'm still stuck with a full Pro 120 GB version and would LOVE to upgrade, if I could afford it.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I can't get very wxcited going from a proprietary 5400RPM/8MB 250GB drive to a 320 of the same :whistle2:/

Can anyone tell me if the new microsoft wheel is worth buying? I have a lot of racing games and I love the way the Wii wheel works and it makes racing actually playable for me since before with the control sticks the only thing I would do was oversteer. Is the microsoft wheel anything like the Wii one? Does the wheel work with all racing games like Forza 2, Ridge Racer 6 and Sega Rally Revo? It seems like this wheel would make racing games a total blast to play.

[quote name='SaraAB']Can anyone tell me if the new microsoft wheel is worth buying? I have a lot of racing games and I love the way the Wii wheel works and it makes racing actually playable for me since before with the control sticks the only thing I would do was oversteer. Is the microsoft wheel anything like the Wii one? Does the wheel work with all racing games like Forza 2, Ridge Racer 6 and Sega Rally Revo? It seems like this wheel would make racing games a total blast to play.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, you seem to have sold yourself on the idea already LOL

[quote name='SaraAB']Can anyone tell me if the new microsoft wheel is worth buying? I have a lot of racing games and I love the way the Wii wheel works and it makes racing actually playable for me since before with the control sticks the only thing I would do was oversteer. Is the microsoft wheel anything like the Wii one? Does the wheel work with all racing games like Forza 2, Ridge Racer 6 and Sega Rally Revo? It seems like this wheel would make racing games a total blast to play.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I figured IGN or like Gamespot would have some review and sure enough.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/11/xbox-360-wireless-speed-wheel?objectid=866710

I'll have to wait for a deal on this one, its not a pick up right away thing for me but I will grab one when the next deal comes around.

[quote name='sp00ge']I don't see why MS doesn't just refine the old race wheel, not that it needed much refining. I'll take force feedback and stability over a wii wheel any day.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I quite enjoyed my Microsoft "wireless" wired racing wheel. Unfortunately I moved and that was a bit too big to fit with everything else so had to leave it in storage. :whistle2:?

The biggest advantage to the old wheel is that you can clamp the sucker down so you get something solid feeling.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I agree, I quite enjoyed my Microsoft "wireless" wired racing wheel. Unfortunately I moved and that was a bit too big to fit with everything else so had to leave it in storage. :whistle2:?

The biggest advantage to the old wheel is that you can clamp the sucker down so you get something solid feeling.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and when it was plugged in, the force feedback in some games felt like it wanted to rip your arms off. I should dig mine out of the basement.

Hey everyone....

It's been a while since I've been on here and even longer since I've played any console games. I've a question for you guys. I'm going to try to snag an Xbox 360 holiday bundle (the 250 gig $199 one) from Best Buy on Black Friday. Will this play the old 1st gen Xbox games? I still have about 20 of my favorites that I didn't sell off and was wondering if I'd be able to play them.

Skyrim has dragged me back into this!!

Thanks in advance for your answer!

[quote name='kell3y71']Hey everyone....

It's been a while since I've been on here and even longer since I've played any console games. I've a question for you guys. I'm going to try to snag an Xbox 360 holiday bundle (the 250 gig $199 one) from Best Buy on Black Friday. Will this play the old 1st gen Xbox games? I still have about 20 of my favorites that I didn't sell off and was wondering if I'd be able to play them.

Skyrim has dragged me back into this!!

Thanks in advance for your answer![/QUOTE]

Only a handful of games will work. Microsoft abandoned the BC idea a few years back, sadly. Here is the list of what will play:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/how-to/play-original-games

Oh man I used to play a lot of 1st gen Xbox games, considering you could find em dirt cheap online. I moved and packed up my current games but back home my all time favs would be:

SSX3
Black
Burnout 2,3
Ralisport Challenge
MX vs ATV Unleashed
Doom 3 LE (Had Doom 2 and before Doom 2 hit XBLA was the only way to play on the 360)

bread's done
Back