The Get Well Soon Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread: King OK, Going Home Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Demolition Man']
About 6:00 in or so. :([/QUOTE]

For those who can't watch or don't want to:

At about 6:45 of the video you see Cole start having gaps in his commentary. Then you hear King breathing heavy gasps before he mutters something. King passes out and you can hear Cole immediately repeat himself on commentary.

At about 7:15 of that video you see a shot of Cole bending over as it looks like King is now on the floor. Then for 15 seconds there is silence and you can see personnel huddled around King before Cole comes back on commentary around 7:30 for a moment before going silent again.

Around 7:50 you can see Cole sitting way off to the side of the desk as they're presumably working on Lawler or stretchering him. Around 7:55 the whole crowd is just looking at the commentary desk. Cole silent again.

8:20 Cole comes back on commentary again as the camera shot is tight on the ring. I assume they're carrying Lawler out right now in front of ring.

8:40 the crowd starts chanting "Jerry." By this point the crowd is now looking toward the ramp where I assume they've stretchered King out that direction.

Nothing else really happens after this other than Cole continues calling the match, but he's very straight forward without a lot of inflection in his voice until the match finish where he perks up a bit. Cole then hypes what's to come after the replay of Punk/Bret, but that's basically the end of his commentary for the night, barring the updates on King.

Reminiscent to when Bobby Heenan paid tribute to Gorilla Monsoon during a Nitro broadcast. I give Cole some credit for continuing his commentary. Thankfully, Cole didn't have a Tony Schiavone in the back trying to prevent any mention of Jerry Lawler on television. Schiavone was, is, and forever will be such a scumbag for doing that to Heenan.

[quote name='Chase']Reminiscent to when Bobby Heenan paid tribute to Gorilla Monsoon during a Nitro broadcast. I give Cole some credit for continuing his commentary. Thankfully, Cole didn't have a Tony Schiavone in the back trying to prevent any mention of Jerry Lawler on television. Schiavone was, is, and forever will be such a scumbag for doing that to Heenan.[/QUOTE]

Link for that maybe?

[quote name='neocisco']Link for that maybe?[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Schiavone#Controversy

The bottom paragraph. There should still be a video on YouTube where they cut Heenan's mic because he starts a rightful verbal battery of Schiavone for trying to coerce WCW brass in an evasion of Gorilla Monsoon mentions on WCW TV. That is why Heenan's tribute of Monsoon is less than a minute, and why Schiavone looks like he could not give less of a shit.

Watched the match again and realized I noticed the breathing over the mic, but at the time just thought it was a mic picking up the guys in the ring. You can definitely hear the breathing get more labored and then an audible snort, almost like he's snoring. Pretty creepy.

[quote name='Chase']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Schiavone#Controversy

The bottom paragraph. There should still be a video on YouTube where they cut Heenan's mic because he starts a rightful verbal battery of Schiavone for trying to coerce WCW brass in an evasion of Gorilla Monsoon mentions on WCW TV. That is why Heenan's tribute of Monsoon is less than a minute, and why Schiavone looks like he could not give less of a shit.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

Thanks for the leg work, Demo Man.

And really, a darn shame about Lawler. Genuinely like him as a person. Surely, he will recover. He's a tough dude.

Could be due to the lack of insipid commentary, but CM Punk and John Cena cut perhaps the best WWE promo of the year, establishing Punk as a true heel and Cena as a likable face. Cena protecting Bret Hart put him over the top as a face, and Punk falling to strikes by Hart put him over the top as a heel. I have not been an avid RAW watcher, but this seems like an important spot in this feud—if not their careers.

EDIT: Is it even possible to be dead for 20 minutes and be brought back to life?

[quote name='Chase']

EDIT: Is it even possible to be dead for 20 minutes and be brought back to life?[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thing, maybe bs?

[quote name='Chase']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Schiavone#Controversy

The bottom paragraph. There should still be a video on YouTube where they cut Heenan's mic because he starts a rightful verbal battery of Schiavone for trying to coerce WCW brass in an evasion of Gorilla Monsoon mentions on WCW TV. That is why Heenan's tribute of Monsoon is less than a minute, and why Schiavone looks like he could not give less of a shit.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr8lmVxxRhA

This is the video referenced in the wikipedia entry. Whoever wrote it decided to take some liberties since there is no indication at all that Heenan, despite being visibly upset, is "in tears" at the end of that segment. It's pretty clear, though, that his mic had been cut after his first comment. His close friendship with Monsoon is pretty well known so I don't blame him a bit for being distraught.

Lawler's girlfriend confirmed it as a heart attack. Not sure if he's still dating Sonia from FCW and the article doesn't say who it is.

http://memphisport.com/2012/09/upda...-health-status-following-his-collapse-on-raw/

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It has been confirmed that Jerry did have a heart attack…he is in stable condition and breathing on his own & heart is stable. I’m getting on the first flight out of here to be with him & will keep everyone posted. He is a strong man and we will get him back at his best as soon as I can get him home! I love you so so much baby!!

EDIT: beaten, but i'll just leave the quote here

[quote name='Demolition Man']Out of respect I do feel that we should change the thread title to Get Well Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread or something like that.[/QUOTE]Agreed. I'll change the title right now.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_65062.shtml

"I was not far from Jerry Lawler when he collapsed, and it was really scary. He just kinda toppled over, and then panic ensued. Most of the people on the floor were freaking out, screaming for help, and when it got there, they didn’t even wait for a stretcher. Eight guys lifted him up and quickly brought him to the back. The rest of the night during the commercial pauses the fans chanted 'Jerry! Jerry!' I never knew he was that popular here, but He got the second loudest pop when he jumped into the Randy Orton vs. C.M. Punk match."

I didn't watch RAW tonight but reading all the Jerry Lawler news made me not want to watch it.

He's a nice guy. I used to live in Memphis and shook his hand after the Jan 2 Raw showing (Chris Jericho return) and was at the Grizzles home playoff games to fire up the crowd.

Hope he gets back to the broadcast booth soon. But for now, he needs to be healthy and recover. A heart attack is no joke.

If anyone reads the comments over at LOP, some guy posted a troll's RL picture. Not sure who's he's talking about since there's about a few that are trolling about this.

As far as this being used in an angle, after the "ha ha your mom is dead" angle they did with Lawler a while back, nothing would surprise me (provided he makes a full recovery and is able to return to work). No accounting for taste in pro wrestling.

[quote name='vlv723']If anyone reads the comments over at LOP, some guy posted a troll's RL picture. Not sure who's he's talking about since there's about a few that are trolling about this.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I can make sense of that... are you saying someone was trolling and in retaliation someone posted a photo of him?

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not sure I can make sense of that... are you saying someone was trolling and in retaliation someone posted a photo of him?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some guy named "HustleLOP" was posting his facebook profile and pic on the comments section in retaliation to his "die jerry die" comments. Think both his posts and the troll were removed.

Hustle's one of their longtime posters - he used to, and still does I believe, write a weekly column for their site. Can't say I've ever really read their forums, but I've read their columns from time to time.

Twitter roundup via LOP:

Maryse: "this is so sad, i cannot beleive Jerry Lawler had a heart attack during raw, pray for him....."

Mickie James: "All my prayers & wishes go out my to my dear friend @JerryLawler & his loved ones tonight as he battles through this! Xoxo #PrayForLawler"

Devon: "my prayers go out to the jerry the king lawler . god is good and you will get thru this my friend"

Eric Young: "#prayforjerry good guy and always was great to me. Hope he is ok"

Al Snow: "My prayers are with my good friend Jerry Lawler I hope he is ok"

Daniels: "All positive thoughts and support for Jerry Lawler. Get well, King, you've many more matches to call, sir!"

Chris Masters: "man just heard about @JerryLawler.Hope your okay King.The wrestling world and beyond love you!"

Shane Helms: "While I’m sure people are gonna attach Lawler’s age while wrestling to his “possible” heart attack, however we should be thankful it happened at a WWE event with a trained medical staff on hand!!"

"Keep Lawler in your thoughts and prayers. The news I’m hearing is scary, that’s all I can say without being irresponsible. Just pray."

Bret Hart: "Please keep Jerry Lawler in your thoughts and prayers #PrayForLawler"

The Blue Meanie: "Waitin to hear about Jerry brings back bad memories of when we all waited & prayed for Owen to be ok. 1 of the worst nights for all involved"

Mick Foley: "Tough to think about anything but The King..but Cena and Punk have put together an amazing segment under very difficult circumstances."

Shawn Michaels: "I've just heard about Jerry Lawler!! Time for prayer everybody!! We're here for you King, God Bless!!"

Todd Grisham: "Jerry Lawler was one of the nicest people I worked with @wwe.A great guy and good friend. I hope he pulls through ok.My prayers are with him"

Tommy Dreamer: "Going to bed I look fwd to tomorrow & hearing about how @JerryLawler pulled the strap down & blew an amazing comeback #PrayForLawler"

Jim Ross: "Never take 1 day of your life 4 granted. Said it many times, tomorrows aren't guaranteed. Kings heart attack being treated. Lucky man so far"

Natalya: "Praying for Jerry Lawler tonight. He's a true fighter and an awesome person."

Lilian Garcia: "Am so shocked to hear about Jerry Lawler having a heart attack on Raw. PLEASE everyone pray for him 2 have a speedy recovery."

Wade Barrett: "Best wishes to Jerry Lawler. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery."

Howard Finkel: "Just got off the Raw Live Chat. Please continue 2 pray for Jerry Lawler. All of us are a family under circumstances like this #PrayForJerry"

Scott Stanford: "Had a laugh with King today when he pulled in driving a red, hot rod rental mustang! He'll be ok... the man is unstoppable!"

Ricardo Rodriguez: "Such a scary moment seeing it happen in front of my eyes. #PrayForJerry"

Summer Rae: "The professionalism of everyone on the show tonight was remarkable. C'mon Jerry...please be ok! #PrayForLawler #RAW"

Paige: "Amazing to the professionalism of the guys on the show tonight. Keep fighting jerry!!! #PrayForLawler"

Seth Rollins: "This is the worst. I hope Lawler's ok..."

Jack Swagger: "Everyone in the @WWEUniverse unite for Jerry Lawler!!!! let's show him how much he means to us.. #king #king #king"

Justin Roberts: "Physically at ringside, mentally with The King"

Kofi Kingston: "Pretty crazy atmosphere right now. Let's all keep king in their thoughts and prayers."

Derrick Bateman: "#PrayForLawler and while we're at it #prayforeverone dealing with unfortunate circumstances and health."

I heard about Jerry this morning on the local news, hope he makes it through unharmed. Probably should hang up the tights after this. I've kept saying that I don't understand why they keep pulling him out of moth balls, unless it's him wanting to do it.

[quote name='Clak']I heard about Jerry this morning on the local news, hope he makes it through unharmed. Probably should hang up the tights after this. I've kept saying that I don't understand why they keep pulling him out of moth balls, unless it's him wanting to do it.[/QUOTE]

Well he was just wrestling on shows in Aruba over the weekend, so unless he's in Flair-level financial trouble (which I assume is not the case) he probably still enjoys it at least to some extent.

Also, my favorite Lawler memory is the way Mabel would say "I'M DA KIIIIIIING" and Lawler would echo "Yeah, he DA KIIIIIING!"

Uh, that is funnier than it seems when written out. Promise.

The guy is 62 for crying out loud, I think once the AARP offers start coming in the mail, that's a sign. Gotta be something else he could do, open his own wrestling school or something.

Been awhile since I watched wrestling, but I was playing some games on my PC and figured to turn it on just to have it in the background. I happened to turn it on right at that match. He didn't sound right when he was doing the commentary, which caught my attention. Then as the video shows, you can see things weren't right.

Hope he pulls through, he really is a legend. Good luck King!

Updates from Meltzer this morning -

*Lawler wrestled both Friday and Saturday nights in Aruba before heading back to the States and flying to Montreal for RAW yesterday. People with Lawler over the weekend said he had no signs of health problems

* Lawler, still listed in stable condition, had either some kind of heart surgery or a Cardiac catheterization, reports are conflicting. Cardiac catheterization is where a catheter is inserted into a chamber in the heart for investigational and interventional purposes

* There was some concern about blood being cut off to Lawler's brain and potential damage from that

* While Lawler's condition is stable, it's described as still a very serious situation

* Vince McMahon was said to be right by Lawler's side through the entire ordeal

Obviously that third point is what's most concerning right now. The consensus seems to be if this had happened nearly anywhere else (hotel, restaurant, etc), he'd be dead.

Just out of curiosity, say I was there at ringside and saw that, I'm EMS certified from a previous job, had I jumped over and started CPR (if that was the right thing to do at the time) would security kill me or would it be cool since I know what I'm doing?

[quote name='nasum']Just out of curiosity, say I was there at ringside and saw that, I'm EMS certified from a previous job, had I jumped over and started CPR (if that was the right thing to do at the time) would security kill me or would it be cool since I know what I'm doing?[/QUOTE]

Security would take you out fairly quickly. WWE has its own trained staff perfectly capable of handling these situations. There's no way to quickly prove that you know what you claim to know and you were going to give him the care he needed. If you hopped the rail and provided care, and something happened to him.. who knows what would happen to you.

[quote name='KaneRobot']As far as this being used in an angle, after the "ha ha your mom is dead" angle they did with Lawler a while back, nothing would surprise me (provided he makes a full recovery and is able to return to work). No accounting for taste in pro wrestling.[/QUOTE]

Lawler's old school, so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually encouraged the use of it in an angle. I can't even imagine the heel heat Punk would get.

Update from Stacy Carter:

[quote name='@stacycarterkat']Just got a @JerryLawler update. He had a stint & a balloon put in. Right now he is still heavily sedated. Will update when I know more [/quote]

[quote name='Scorch']Security would take you out fairly quickly. WWE has its own trained staff perfectly capable of handling these situations. There's no way to quickly prove that you know what you claim to know and you were going to give him the care he needed. If you hopped the rail and provided care, and something happened to him.. who knows what would happen to you.[/QUOTE]

good point.

Plus you never know if Cena might see you and decide to body slam you for attacking The King.

Of all the Legends out there whose life would end up imitating art in this manner, referring to Randy the Ram and the heart attack he had in The Wrestler, I'd never have picked Lawler.

Here's a cellphone video of Lawler's collapse and being carted out of the arena. I spoilered it for anyone who chooses to not wanna subject themselves to seeing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjeSWElxhPw&feature=player_embedded#!

[quote name='mitch079']Of all the Legends out there whose life would end up imitating art in this manner, referring to Randy the Ram and the heart attack he had in The Wrestler, I'd never have picked Lawler.[/QUOTE]

Kurt Angle is at the top of my list. He will die in a wrasslin ring if he pulls a Terry Funk and never retires.

Here's another fan cam, a couple of rows behind the tech guys on the hard camera side. Pretty close up view of the guys carrying Lawler out. I noticed a WWE photographer is taking pictures though, which is who I think Cole waved away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RI5EHQfD0

[quote name='mitch079']Here's another fan cam, a couple of rows behind the tech guys on the hard camera side. Pretty close up view of the guys carrying Lawler out. I noticed a WWE photographer is taking pictures though, which is who I think Cole waved away. [/QUOTE]

It seems kind of fucked up she was taking photos, but she might not have known it wasn't an angle at first. I also assume it might be a photographer's nature just to snap pictures of anything that seems important. It also looks like she has a headset on, so I can't help but wonder if someone directed her to take pictures for liability purposes.

So I decided to watch the Ravens/Bengals game instead of Raw. Especially with the Ravens being my team and didn't expect anything to happen on Raw. I saw a text from my cousin this morning telling me about what happened. I immediately assumed it was a work until I looked into it further. Messed up. Hope he makes it through this.

For some reason Billy Joel's Movin' Out was on the radio earlier, and when he sings

Ah but working too hard can give you
A heart attack, ack, ack, ack, ack, ack
You ought-a know by now

I couldn't help but laugh a little. Should have known, Jerry.

Lots of rumors debunked:

F4WOnline.com published a report clarifying rumors of WWE's handling of Monday's Raw show after broadcaster and wrestler Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack while commentating.

According to a WWE employee backstage at the event, it was a very chaotic scene but he did not see any pray groups. Contrary to speculation, there was never any talk of halting the show.

WWE chief Vince McMahon was not at Lawler's side during the entire ordeal, as reported. He briefly checked on the backstage commotion during a commercial break before resuming his producing duties at Gorilla Position. Rather, Paul "Triple H" Levesque directed orders backstage.

All of broadcaster Michael Cole's on-air verbiage concerning Lawler was directed by McMahon word-for-word.

Get well soon Lawler.

His current role might rub some people, myself included, the wrong way, but given his age and the money that he probably gets to more or less talk about wrestling for a few hours a week, I can't say that I would turn it down. Even if I had to scream about puppies from time to time.

More importantly, at the end of the day, he has been on top of this crazy sport/business/industry for years and earned his spot the old-fashioned way, by putting on great matches and angles. King of Memphis indeed.

Fella!

dTfFE.jpg

XZ40f.jpg

[quote name='Stacy "The Cat" Carter']"I have an update on Jerry. The docs are removing his ventilation & taking him out of sedation. He is responsive, which is great!!! It took a while to revive him last night so there's the concern of brain damage. He had some tests done which will show how much if any damage there is due to the lack of oxygen to his brain. Unfortunately, the results won't be in until in the morning. I appreciate all the calls, texts, tweets, & Facebook messages of support & I know Jerry will too. Thanks everybody!!"
[/QUOTE]

Source: http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...Fear_Of_Brain_Damage.html#O1Q8I8KlVGCyshlF.99

I don't think he would suffer brain damage. Remember a few months back, a soccer player collapsed and was clinically dead for about 90 minutes. He was ok and fine after being revived.

Sure he may be younger than Lawler and the situations/scenarios are different.

Hoping he is 100% recovered.

I was watching the broadcast last night and the first unusual thing I noticed was the crowd all looking at something off to the right. At the time I figured it was just a fight between drunk fans or something but then after a bit I realized there was no commentary. It wasn't until the crowd started chanting "JERRY!" that I realized he was either attacked by someone or he collapsed. Every time Cole started to speak about Jerry I thought he was going to announce he had died. The first time he spoke about it you could tell he had no idea if the King was going to make it or not, what a horrific situation to be put in. I am not really a Michael Cole fan but he gained my respect for the way he handled that situation, it must've been the worst hour of his entire life. Hopefully Jerry will be ok, and hopefully he can come back to commentate again (even if I don't really like his brand of commentary in this era). Last night was certainly a broadcast I will never forget.

I know everyone's attention in pro-wrestling today is turned to Jerry Lawler, but it is 9/11 after all. I just want to take a moment to say: This was a crazy powerful show just days after the disaster. Everyone talks about how MLB helped people get back to some normalcy, but Vince & Co. were doing it right away.

WWF Smackdown 9/11 Tribute Show

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back