The Get Well Soon Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread: King OK, Going Home Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Christopher:

“Ok, here’s the latest real update. Lauren and I are here at the hospital in Montreal. He does not look good at all. He is responsive to questions that he is asked which is very good. His sedation and breathing support are being lowered slowly right now. He was shocked a total of 7 times at the arena and underwent a balloon stint to open up a clogged artery when he arrived at hospital. Everyone out there needs to say a special prayer for his brain at this point, please. Tests on his brain will not be available until the morning. One of us two will keep all you guys informed as we know more.”

[quote name='kodave']I know everyone's attention in pro-wrestling today is turned to Jerry Lawler, but it is 9/11 after all. I just want to take a moment to say: This was a crazy powerful show just days after the disaster. Everyone talks about how MLB helped people get back to some normalcy, but Vince & Co. were doing it right away.

WWF Smackdown 9/11 Tribute Show[/QUOTE]

For me, 1:05:30 takes most of the "power" the show had and flushes it down the fucking toilet. Comparing the terrorist attacks to the steroid trial? fuck you, Stephanie. Disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']Brian Christopher: “Ok, here’s the latest real update. Lauren and I are here at the hospital in Montreal. He does not look good at all. He is responsive to questions that he is asked which is very good. His sedation and breathing support are being lowered slowly right now. He was shocked a total of 7 times at the arena and underwent a balloon stint to open up a clogged artery when he arrived at hospital. Everyone out there needs to say a special prayer for his brain at this point, please. Tests on his brain will not be available until the morning. One of us two will keep all you guys informed as we know more.”[/QUOTE]

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/9...rt-attack-update-he-does-not-look-good-at-all

"Responsive" is such a vague description that we may have forgotten that "responsive" could refer to a bare minimum of things, like his eyes reacting to light, his heart beating on its own, and his feet twitching in response to a poke test.

Nothing but sadness and prayers for Lawler.

Still praying for Jerry. I don't like how vague responsive is either. Hopefully we learn more today.

On a sad side note I spotted that Mark Henry was one of Michael Clark Duncan's pall-bearers.
V5nwu.jpg

[quote name='Habbler']Still praying for Jerry. I don't like how vague responsive is either. Hopefully we learn more today.

On a sad side note I spotted that Mark Henry was one of Michael Clark Duncan's pall-bearers.
V5nwu.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I guess no one recognizes the other (former) WWE employee right there.

[quote name='Fatality']TMZ spoke with Kevin Lawler ... who tells us, "[Jerry] is hooked up to tubes and is still not able to speak … but he's writing stuff on a notepad to talk to people."

"Not just brief notes, but detailed stories which show he knows where he is and what is going on.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/12/jerry-the-king-lawler-awake-alert-and-responsive/[/QUOTE]

if your breathing on your own why would he be hooked up to tubes ?

[quote name='Scorch']I'm pretty sure that's not Tom Lister, Jr.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the infallible SEScoops says:

Sidelined WWE Superstar Mark Henry served as a pallbearer at actor Michael Clarke Duncan’s funeral service on Monday at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park and Mortuaries in the Hollywood Hills section of Los Angeles, California.
Here’s a picture of Mark Henry and former WWE Summerslam main eventer Tiny “Zeus” Lister carrying the casket:

[quote name='KaneRobot']I guess no one recognizes the other (former) WWE employee right there.[/QUOTE]

I knew it was Deebo from Friday, but honestly didn't know he was a wrestler at one point. I'm enlightened now.

That is most excellent. That wmctv.com link says it took 15 minutes to resuscitate him. That is some high quality work by the paramedics and WWE trainers. :applause:

So I had an idea for a WWE '13 heel Punk theme. I grabbed a sound byte and had it start prior to then merge in with his current theme. I like it and I think I'll be using it for WWE '13, I just have to make sure everything looks okay in regards to his entrance animation. I've went ahead and added reverb and everything to it so it's ready for me to toss in the game.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUuGm0qz8bY&feature=youtu.be

[quote name='Habbler']I knew it was Deebo from Friday, but honestly didn't know he was a wrestler at one point. I'm enlightened now.[/QUOTE]

It was around the time No Holds Barred came out and they used his character from the movie in story lines in WWF.

[quote name='Scorch']So I had an idea for a heel CM Punk theme for WWE '13. I think it came out pretty decent and I'm going to use it for WWE '13, but the entrance video will be slightly off. Maybe I'll just use it as the theme that plays after he wins.. it'd make more sense, provided the quote.[/QUOTE]

Catchphrase hooks are one of the most overused things in wrestling these days. It's like saying "You can't pop the crowd by your music and appearance alone, let's throw in a catchphrase or ten so they REALLY know who is coming out." Ryback is probably the worst example of it. But even Zack Ryder's theme is sad with the Woo Woo Woo stuff at the beginning.

I may be alone on this but I wish heel Punk went back to "This Fire Burns." But something he tells me he's not really a fan of it, and is actually a fan of his current music.

Or maybe Orton could go back to using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfuHLtLqkQ

Or not.

[quote name='kodave']Catchphrase hooks are one of the most overused things in wrestling these days. It's like saying "You can't pop the crowd by your music and appearance alone, let's throw in a catchphrase or ten so they REALLY know who is coming out." [/QUOTE]

You mean like this? This is myke's favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBck4Ymlk0

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You mean like this? This is myke's favorite.[/quote]

I fuckin' KNEW IT.

Ugh. Also, :lol:

I don't think catchphrase hooks are always bad things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBa8bYRKzJI

I do think they've been overused like a motherfucker, but that's mostly because WWE relies too much on Jim Johnston's cookie cutter boring-ass rawk guitar hooks. When all songs sound the same (and they do, they're all like fuckin' "Saliva"-esque rock jingles or somesuch), you no longer get a pop for a wrestler. So you have to do something to make it unique, identifiable, and prepare the crowd to react immediately. Therefore, catchphrase hook.

They did it to themselves.

I do like how WWE thought fans were too dumb to react to Flair's music by itself so they had to add a "woo" at the beginning.

[quote name='Habbler']I knew it was Deebo from Friday, but honestly didn't know he was a wrestler at one point. I'm enlightened now.[/QUOTE]

MCD is actually in Friday for like 2 seconds. B&W scene where Red tries to get his bike back.

Catchphrases are just another way that Rock and Austin dumbed down the WWF/E. They weren't the first ones to use them, but I can only remember a scarce few promos that weren't just all of their catchphrases strewn together.

I have never been a fan of adding catchphrases to the start of entrance music. I blame Jim Johnston even though DDP had his music in WCW and Johnston has always been a WWE guy.

So . . . Can we blame Jimmy Hart?

EDIT: And I have nothing but nausea for The Rock.

[quote name='JJSP']TJ Perkins worked a tryout match for TNA today. Hoping for big things for him![/QUOTE]

I have always thought Perkins would be a good fit for TNA. But isn't he under contract with ROH? Or are ROH contracts written on tissue paper?

I don't know one way or the other but his ROH appearances seem to have been sporadic enough that he might just be working for them on a per-show basis. He's rock solid, IMO, and, if used properly, could be very impressive.

[quote name='kodave']I may be alone on this but I wish heel Punk went back to "This Fire Burns." But something he tells me he's not really a fan of it, and is actually a fan of his current music.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're alone. The song itself isn't THAT bad.... if you're a fan of the genre.

Punk stated in an interview during the "Summer of Punk" at one point that he fucking hated that music. Orton was also pissed because they gave it to Punk, when he was the one who went to creative and basically said "this is what I want" -- instead, they gave him Rev Theory.

[quote name='HydroX']Yeah, you're alone. The song itself isn't THAT bad.... if you're a fan of the genre.

Punk stated in an interview during the "Summer of Punk" at one point that he fucking hated that music. Orton was also pissed because they gave it to Punk, when he was the one who went to creative and basically said "this is what I want" -- instead, they gave him Rev Theory.[/QUOTE]

Not quite - or the story at least requires a little more detail than that. The video I posted had Orton using the theme for at least one show. Orton had picked the song out for himself but someone higher up decided it didn't fit Orton after hearing it on TV. Orton was pissed about not getting to use it. So he went back to "Burn In My Light" until he got the Rev Theory "Voices" theme a couple of years later - which yes, he's not a big fan of Voices. So after WWE went to the effort to license This Fire Burns they felt they had to use it somewhere - so they gave it to CM Punk.

I'd love to see that interview where he said he "fucking hated" it though. I saw a non-WWE interview with him when he was at some kind of music show and the interviewer was naming bands or something and Punk's reaction to Killswitch Engage was kind of like "meh."

It's funny what you find out about people when you start looking. So Liston J.r is a born again christian who has worked with and appeared with that tv evangelist Benny Hinn. This is the same guy who just committed mortgage fraud, christian indeed.

[quote name='kodave']Not quite - or the story at least requires a little more detail than that. The video I posted had Orton using the theme for at least one show. Orton had picked the song out for himself but someone higher up decided it didn't fit Orton after hearing it on TV. Orton was pissed about not getting to use it. So he went back to "Burn In My Light" until he got the Rev Theory "Voices" theme a couple of years later - which yes, he's not a big fan of Voices. So after WWE went to the effort to license This Fire Burns they felt they had to use it somewhere - so they gave it to CM Punk.

I'd love to see that interview where he said he "fucking hated" it though. I saw a non-WWE interview with him when he was at some kind of music show and the interviewer was naming bands or something and Punk's reaction to Killswitch Engage was kind of like "meh."[/QUOTE]

I believe it was a radio show (or podcast) where Punk was dogging the music. I thought I listened to it on the youtube channel "tvtrax" (which has a ton of other random goodies on it, for future reference) but I'm not about to mull through the massive library they have just to prove my post on the internet. lol If I come across it, I will definitely post it though.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/09/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-91012/4

I’ve been trying to figure it out for months, and I think I’ve got it. I don’t hate the Sheamus character because he’s a good guy acting like a bad guy. Being an “asshole” or whatever. A lot of good guys do that, and I like them anyway. I don’t hate the character because he’s racist or offensive, despite how much as I hate that stuff. I hate the Sheamus character because he’s trying to be the voice of a common WWE fan who wants to live vicariously through their favorite superstars, doing what they can’t do and saying what they can’t say, but is missing that completely and acting like a five-year old.

That’s it. He’s a f**king five-year old. He responds to questions and situations like a kindergartner would if he’d pulled a Big and gotten his brain put into the body of an albino gorilla, or whatever. That’s why he says “si senior” when he answers Ricardo’s questions and snickers about it, because a five-year old hasn’t learned what a f**king piece of shit that makes you yet. A five-year old thinks Jeff Dunham is funny. He thinks a jalapeno in a sombrero going “ay yi yi” is hilarious, because Mexican people aren’t like him. A five-year old would hear “do you swear” and think it means “say curse words”. What living grown-up with a functioning f**king brain makes that joke? It’s like writing “yes please” under “sex” on a job application.

Sheamus is the guy who thinks the last name “Lipschitz” is funny because “schitz” sounds like “shits”. And he SAYS IT, on national television, and is cheered as an hilarious hero. David Otunga is being a pushy “ambulance chaser” or whatever, and that’s fine. He’s supposed to be the bad guy, and you’re supposed to want to see him get his comeuppance. But where’s the joy in seeing him get his comeuppance if he ONLY EVER GETS COMEUPPANCE? He tries to take this guy to court, has to listen to his f**king Jew jokes in 2012, listen to his Hispanic client be ridiculed for the language he speaks, then watch the guy he’s suing for assault and negligence (or whatever) destroy a court camera and/or whoever was behind it with a kick.

So the end of the story is that this childish, asshole five-year old bully thinks he can live his life without consequences, breaks a bunch of shit in court to show how tough he is and gets PUT IN PRISON because you CANNOT LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE THAT and CANNOT RIDICULE JEWS AND BREAK SHIT AT COURT, right? Oh, I’m sorry, the end of the story is “Sheamus beats up Otunga and Rodriguez easily and he’s tough and great”. It’s infuriating on like 30 levels, and if you’re the type who reads this and thinks “you just don’t know how to LAUGH and ENJOY WRESTLING and HAVE FUN”, take your ECW GM Tiffany ass as far away from me as possible.

Yessssssss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back