The Get Well Soon Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread: King OK, Going Home Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='diddy310']I am still not entirely convinced that Wade Barrett isn't doing a prostitute gimmick.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEaJkVZcvE

[quote name='Chase']And then, WWE 13, call me when you're 19.99—and available for PC. (Not holding my breath for either.)[/QUOTE]

WWE 13, you can call me anytime. 867-5309

DNNVA.gif

Also... This week's Impact: I'm pretty sure that the guy portraying the speaking Aces & Eights member was Samoa Joe, based on the masked man's mannerisms and speech patterns. (Lots of "You see".)

Obviously, I don't think Joe is in Aces, but I could see creative doing that to throw people off and keep them guessing.

... or maybe he is..!

Did anyone mention WWE pulling a bunch of their Attitude era stuff from the website because Linda's opponents were using it against her? My kneejerk was "Outrage!! fuck you WWE!" but I realized most of the time if I want to see that shit I'll be watching YouTube or videos that are non censored, non blurred, and non overdubbed.

Don't get the point... it's not like her opponents won't be able to find what they are after anyway, and pulling stuff doesn't do anything to make her look any better. Then again, I don't get a lot of stuff about this fucking stupid campaign.

Great timing with WWE 13 pushing the Attitude Era, though.

Road Dogg could be mistaken for Undertaker at a quick glance. Call me when they actually use a new engine with character models that are up to the standards of 2010 games.

New Jack's Twitter account has been suspended/taken away, thank god. After reading his posts about Lawler and Terri Runnels I am even more mindblown than ever before that he thought he stood a rainmaker's chance in hell of ever getting a job with WWE.

[quote name='Demolition Man']ROH site crashes right when Death Before Dishonor X iPPV started. Really tired of this bullshit ROH.[/QUOTE]

shame too since the last 2 worked perfectly. what's the deal

That video kinda takes away from Punk's character.
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Ah, nostalgia. Unlike a lot of old games, that game actually holds up. The intro video to it was awesome.[/QUOTE]
I think I'm gonna start bringing my N64 to work. :cool:

I have Revenge, but I want to get World Tour, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy.

Wait.. 69.95 for that game back in the day? Holy crap, and people bitch about 60 dollar games in this generation......

[quote name='Spyder187']Wait.. 69.95 for that game back in the day? Holy crap, and people bitch about 60 dollar games in this generation......[/QUOTE]

All N64 cost that much. It was supposedly do to the cartridge format. With cds/dvds came cheaper game prices. Hell, I spent $80 for VPW2 ... worth every cent.

[quote name='Spyder187']Wait.. 69.95 for that game back in the day? Holy crap, and people bitch about 60 dollar games in this generation......[/QUOTE]

Heck, there were more expensive games than that. On the Genesis.

That was a jacked up price though. I remember buying World Tour at TRU with a friend right around Xmas when it came out for 50 or 60.

[quote name='Brak']That video kinda takes away from Punk's character.

I think I'm gonna start bringing my N64 to work. :cool:

I have Revenge, but I want to get World Tour, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy.[/QUOTE]

I think I may actually have doubles of a couple of those that I've picked up in yard sale bundles. I'll check in the next day or two and you can have them for shipping, if you want.

[quote name='Purple Flames']That was terribly corny. I wonder how Punk felt having to film that wearing that ridiculous makeup.[/QUOTE]

He just kept thinking "Pipebomb. Pipebomb. Pipebomb. Pipebomb.".

[quote name='kodave']WWE 13... Call me when you're on the Wii.... U.

Actually I'm still waiting for WWE SVR 11 to hit a price worth pulling the trigger on. Gotta be sometime soon...[/QUOTE]

Hope you have a PS3. It's $18 used at GS on PS3, but $30 used on 360.

[quote name='kodave']Not quite - or the story at least requires a little more detail than that. The video I posted had Orton using the theme for at least one show. Orton had picked the song out for himself but someone higher up decided it didn't fit Orton after hearing it on TV. Orton was pissed about not getting to use it. So he went back to "Burn In My Light" until he got the Rev Theory "Voices" theme a couple of years later - which yes, he's not a big fan of Voices. So after WWE went to the effort to license This Fire Burns they felt they had to use it somewhere - so they gave it to CM Punk.

I'd love to see that interview where he said he "fucking hated" it though. I saw a non-WWE interview with him when he was at some kind of music show and the interviewer was naming bands or something and Punk's reaction to Killswitch Engage was kind of like "meh."[/QUOTE]

Was it with ESPN's Bill Simmons? Punk was on the BS Report pre-Summerslam 2011 and Simmons asked why Punk changed songs when Simmons thought Punk had one of the best songs in WWE history (not knowing Punk's current song was his RoH song.) Covered by saying each song symbolized a stage of his career or something like that.

x535h.jpg

- John Cena is set to debut his latest "theme color" at Night of Champions. Cena will be going pink for breast cancer awareness and will wear the new color scheme throughout October; it includes a pink "Rise Above Cancer" cap and a black t-shirt with a new pink logo reading the same.

"WWE and John Cena have such a large female fan base, so it's important for us to support the people who have supported us for so long," Triple H told the Boston Herald.

Cena said, "One of the reasons I really wanted to do something with Susan G. Komen is because of my brother (who is battling brain cancer). Early detection saved his life."

You can see a pic of the new look here.
Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/n...at-Night-of-Champions.htm#JvgYboC7bdP3KFtH.99
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/255094/John-Cena-Going-Pink-at-Night-of-Champions.htm

Boston Herald: John Cena's in the pink

I question the title of the article and Cena doesn't really pull off the pink and black like Bret Hart but I think it's pretty cool of him to promote awareness.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Hope you have a PS3. It's $18 used at GS on PS3, but $30 used on 360.[/QUOTE]

haha, GS.

$16.99 w/ FSSS used on Amazon for the 360, under $10 for PS3 w/ shipping.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Was it with ESPN's Bill Simmons? Punk was on the BS Report pre-Summerslam 2011 and Simmons asked why Punk changed songs when Simmons thought Punk had one of the best songs in WWE history (not knowing Punk's current song was his RoH song.) Covered by saying each song symbolized a stage of his career or something like that.[/QUOTE]

That's not the interview I saw. It was just some small time person interviewing him. Killswitch Engage was playing this event along with many other bands, and the interviewer named them as band Punk likes since they had done his theme and my recollection of Punk's reaction was that he just kind of shrugged it off or gave it a "eh" but didn't put them down or say he hated them.

When it comes to his ROH music most people seem to mark for his usage of Miseria Cantare more than anything.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Hope you have a PS3. It's $18 used at GS on PS3, but $30 used on 360.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Scorch']haha, GS.

$16.99 w/ FSSS used on Amazon for the 360, under $10 for PS3 w/ shipping.[/QUOTE]

Hate GameStop. Won't shop there. Either way, IMO its still too much for what amounts to a yearly sports title that will be two years behind once WWE '13 drops. But again, that's just like, my opinion.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Lawler just tweeted that
JBL
will be filling in for him tonight at Night of Champions.[/QUOTE]

If I had more care in my heart, I'd watch "Night of Champions" solely for
JBL
's commentary. Probably one of the best commentators in WWE's history that does not have the name "Heenan" or "Monsoon."

This match is legendarily bad and makes me wish CW was still making gifs. So many botches and miscues. Looking forward to Botchamania.

in regards to what just happened on the PPV:

Kane is now a 12 time tag champion with 7 different partners. Crazy.

It might've been more awesome because I was in the Reddit chat, so it was fun to see everyone screaming "No!!!" and then flip out when it was reversed.

I saw the last five minutes of Punk-Cena. All I have to say is:

EEF YUO WHEEL

RIP DUTHY
forevahda sunnavaplummah

Last edited by a moderator:
Both guys' shoulders were down, so it wasn't a legit Dusty finish. The Dusty finish involves a legit pin followed up by some inane clause that prevents the title change (e.g., "the wrong ref made the pinfall count" or somesuch.)

Didn't a pretty well known Bret Hart match end this way around his IC or World title reigns in WWF?

I don't have much of a problem with it.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Didn't a pretty well known Bret Hart match end this way around his IC or World title reigns in WWF?[/QUOTE]

I think you might be referring to the HBK/Bulldog match at King of the Ring, perhaps?

[quote name='Chase']If I had more care in my heart, I'd watch "Night of Champions" solely for
JBL
's commentary. Probably one of the best commentators in WWE's history that does not have the name "Heenan" or "Monsoon."[/QUOTE]

I don't get the retro love for Monsoon. He was frequently referred to as awful by everyone from fans to Apter mags to Meltzer when he was actually doing commentary. I guess it's just because it's so much worse now that it makes Monsoon look better. I like him ok as a Prime Time host, but during the 80's heyday his irrational support of any and all good guys was really annoying. He'd make terrible points and then move on like he won the argument.

Ventura was still the best as far as WWF. Heenan was "funnier" but Ventura was a cut above everyone overall. JBL may actually be the closest we've come to replicating that same style.

[quote name='Genocidal']Every time the champ doesn't come out last it pisses me off, and it's almost always Cena coming out after the champ.[/QUOTE]

My dad says something about it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. it happens, so you definitely aren't alone there.

[quote name='Scorch']Cena's no-sell of Punk's crossface was legendary. He looked like he fell asleep.[/QUOTE]

Truth. Even better than that one time Laurinaitis no-selled that Cena AA.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I don't get the retro love for Monsoon. He was frequently referred to as awful by everyone from fans to Apter mags to Meltzer when he was actually doing commentary. I guess it's just because it's so much worse now that it makes Monsoon look better. I like him ok as a Prime Time host, but during the 80's heyday his irrational support of any and all good guys was really annoying. He'd make terrible points and then move on like he won the argument.

Ventura was still the best as far as WWF. Heenan was "funnier" but Ventura was a cut above everyone overall. JBL may actually be the closest we've come to replicating that same style.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you made this comment. I actually thought about mentioning Ventura given the weakness of Monsoon's commentary. But yeah, I agree. Alone, Monsoon's commentary is nothing special—but combine him with Heenan, and that banter puts him in my top ten for "Best WWE Commentators."

I think Heenan is king, Ventura is second in command, and the shell of Joey Styles at third. JBL would be fourth with the shell of Paul Heyman at five. Matt Striker at six, Jim Ross at seven, Curt Hennig at eight, Jim Cornette at nine, and Gorilla Monsoon at ten.

In all of pro wrestling, a Joey Styles, Bobby Heenan, and Jesse Ventura broadcast team would be my dream team. And the WCW version of Mike Tenay is infinitely better than what he has become.

I didn't pay attention but someone said that all of the champions came out first tonight. I don't know if that's true but its food for thought if it was true.

Regardless, I don't really see why it matters anymore.

Who comes out when regarding TV shows has a lot to do with the format and commercial breaks. If you want people to sit through a commercial break to see the upcoming match, you bait them in with say, John Cena entering first instead of David Otunga. Stuff like that. There is a lot to consider regarding the live audience's reactions and how to keep the home audience hooked. You might even send out the champion first just to keep someone's attention that "Oh, you're going to want to sit right there because a champion is about to fight."

On PPV, I know some fans make a big stink about the champ not entering last, it being a lack of respect thing, etc. etc.

But look at tonight for instance. You had a Paul Heyman promo to cut, and the two entrances. Could Cena have entered first, then Heyman promo, then Punk? Yes. But here is how that plays out. Cena enters to the biggest reaction of the night --> Cena stands around, Heyman then has to make a separate entrance since he's not entering BEFORE Cena then just standing around with his thumb up his ass, so Heyman climbs into the ring and cuts his promo, gets some heat and a mixed reaction thanks to smarks --> Punk enters to his reaction which isn't as big as Cena's. It creates an awkward flow.

Instead, Heyman gets down to the ring, cuts his promo --> His client CM Punk comes out (because why wouldn't his client enter after his promo?), gets the reaction he gets --> Cena comes out and gets an even bigger reaction, and love him or hate him, he was in his "home" town. It was a logical and orderly build up in terms of flow and baiting the crowd's response.

And of ALL the things pro-wrestling does wrong or stupid, I'll just never understand why people lose their shit over champions not entering first. It's been happening for so many years now. It's not a new device WWE invented to ruin wrestling.

If anything, people should be insulted that WWE thinks that a person performing an offensive pinning maneuver on their opponent (who is therefore on defense) can somehow pin themselves and cancel out the offensive pin fall.

That's not even in the international or NCAA rules of amateur wrestling, if my Google searches turned up complete/correct info. The only thing I found for amateur wrestling was West Virginia Boys High School Wrestling Rules that said both men get a fall if the offense participant's shoulders are down too. Yes yes I know we're talking pro wrestling here, which has no real rule book and makes up shit as they go along, but I just wanted to see if there was any basis in "real" wrestling for the finish tonight. So the basis might be WV high school wrestling's rule book.

And tonight wasn't a situation where its ambiguous or both men are on offense and defense simultaneously, like that Punk/Bryan pin/submission finish. You can almost forgive that.

But if you extrapolate the logic of tonight's finish, you're telling me 37 time world champion John Cena can throw a second rope German suplex but can't bridge the pin properly? fucking Alicia Fox knows how to bridge suplex pins properly. And if not that, then you have shitty officiating because the referee couldn't simultaneously look to see if both Punk and Cena's shoulders were pinned down. They didn't even put a camera angle on Cena's other shoulder because I'd bet money it was up. Again, yes I realize we're talking about pro wrestling. You could write off John Cena as "tired" even though he just seconds before no sold falling off the second rope and ran back to hit that German suplex. And yes, even "real life" referees in other sports make mistakes and bad calls so its something that could happen in WWE-land too. Its just a shitty out to keep the status quo via Dusty finish. Cena "won" but Punk stays true to his M.O. of keeping the title by any means necessary, so now there is need to see yet another match between the two of them to determine the better man for the championship.

If they were determined to give us a non-finish, there had to be a more creative finish that could accomplish Cena looking strong and Punk escaping with the title without insulting our intelligence by making up a rule regarding pin falls. Because at the end of the night, Cena didn't win the title because he pinned.... HIMSELF.

Why not have Punk keep trying to lure Cena to the outside so Punk can play dirtier. Punk does this continually and aggravates Cena. Have Cena reach a point of frustration where Cena is dominating Punk on the outside at the end of the match, but neglects the fact the referee has counted them both out. Cena looks strong, Punk escapes with the belt, and you didn't have to make up an obscure rule to pull it off. Now you've established the basis for the fact there will be no more getting away from the ring, and if Punk wants to play hard, it doesn't get any harder than being locked into the HELL IN A CELL. Next Pay Per View sold. It doesn't change the fact that it was a non-finish for a PPV main event people theoretically paid good money for, but if they were determined to go that route, there were other ways to do it.

Who cares who entered first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back