The Get Well Soon Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread: King OK, Going Home Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Guarantee you she wouldn't know what to do if she ever won[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. She'd cut the fuck out of taxes on the ultra wealthy so as to make her $100 million campaign funding reap financial dividends.

That's all she has in mind. Truly.

And she's been polling neck and neck vs Chris Murphy since shortly after the primaries. She has a good chance of winning, honestly.

Back to wrestling, I have not watched a full 3-hour Raw since they started doing it each and every week. It's just awful stuff overall, and I can't stomach three hours of that shit. Normally I check out between 9:15-9:30 anymore. Last week was somewhat of an exception (pretty sweet of WWE to use a "Did You Know?" segment to highlight their skyrocketing social media activity last week, neglecting to point out how it was due almost exclusively to A fuckING ANNOUNCER ALMOST DYING LIVE ON THE AIR), but even in that case, I tuned out around 10:45 or so.

[quote name='mitch079']Regarding Smackdown spoilers:

I HOPE THAT SHIT WAS NON TITLE
[/QUOTE]

Santino vs. Cesaro? It was.

The NWO set is WAY heavier on WCW stuff than I figured it would be.

Stars Align

Free Agents

The Outsiders

Bash at the Beach

Here's the nWo

Element of Reality

Fan Interest

nWo vs. WCW

Rivalry versus Sting

The nWo. Goes Mainstream

Internal Strife

Restoration Attempt

nWo 4 Life

Scott Hall's Nitro Debut
Nitro - 27th May, 1996

Kevin Nash's Nitro Debut
Nitro - 10th June, 1996

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper confronts Eric Bischoff
18th November, 1996

Hollywood Hulk Hogan confronts "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
30th December, 1996

The nWo's WWE Debut
No Way Out - 17th February, 2002

The Outsiders vs. Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Sting & Lex Luger
Bash at the Beach - 7th July, 1996

WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
The Giant vs. Hollywood Hogan
Hog Wild - 10th August, 1996

WCW World Tag Team Championship Match
The Outsiders vs. Harlem Heat
Halloween Havoc - 27th October, 1996

Syxx vs. The Bounty Hunter
nWo Saturday Night - 9th November, 1996

WCW World Tag Team Championship Match
The Outsiders vs. The Steiner Brothers
Souled Out - 25th January, 1997

Hollywood Hogan vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
SuperBrawl VII - 23rd February, 1997

Hollywood Hogan & Dennis Rodman vs. Lex Luger & The Giant
Bash at the Beach - 13th July, 1997

Las Vegas Sudden Death Match
Diamond Dallas Page vs. Randy "Macho Man" Savage
Halloween Havoc - 26th October, 1997

Sting vs. Hollywood Hogan
Nitro - 29th December, 1997

No Disqualification Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Hollywood Hogan vs. Randy "Macho Man" Savage
Nitro - 20th April, 1998

Match for Control of the WCW World Tag Team Championship
Sting vs. The Giant
Great American Bash - 14th June, 1998

Hollywood Hogan & Eric Bischoff vs. Jay Leno & Diamond Dallas Page
Road Wild - 8th August, 1998

War Games Match to Determine the #1 Contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Team WCW vs. Team Hollywood vs. Team Wolfpack
Fall Brawl - 13th September, 1998

No Disqualification Match for WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash
Starrcade - 27th December, 1998

Goldberg vs. Bret "Hit Man" Hart
Nitro - 20th December, 1999

Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash & Scott Hall vs. The Rock & "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
RAW - 11th March, 2002

BLU-RAY EXTRAS

nWo Legends of Wrestling Roundtable Discussion featuring Kevin Nash, Jim Ross, JJ Dillon, & Michael Hayes

The Beginning
The nWo Concept
Hogan Turns his back on WCW
Putting Vince out of business
Ratings war
Pointing fingers
Goldberg
Cutting Edge & Controversial
Downfall

Invitation only
WCW Saturday Night - 27th July, 1996

Nothing Personal
WCW Saturday Night - 3rd August, 1996

Modern Day Gladiators
Monday Nitro - 19th August, 1996

Worldwide
WCW Saturday Night - 7th September, 1996

Room Service
Monday Nitro - 30th September, 1996

It's Not Easy Being King
Monday Nitro - 20th January, 1997

The Real Hot Rod
Monday Nitro - 17th March, 1997

The Madness
Monday Nitro - 28th April, 1997

All Over But The Crying
WCW Pro Wrestling - 15th June, 1997

[quote name='mykevermin']$100-130 million of personal funds across two campaign cycles. They have to disclose that stuff, so that's where that dollar figure comes from.[/QUOTE]

There goes the mo-naaaaay! There goes the money! Dolla, dolla...

Shane is clearly the only member of the clan with any true foresight. Getting out of the family business is easily the best business decision he's ever made.

[quote name='mykevermin']Since the WWE nWo was pretty abysmal on the whole (no thanks to Scott Hall), I'm kinda okay with treating it like it never happened.[/QUOTE]

I like to pretend the nWo died before the silver 2000 version with Hall, Nash, Hart and Jarrett.

[quote name='ced']I like to pretend the nWo died before the silver 2000 version with Hall, Nash, Hart and Jarrett.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the Harris brothers.

[quote name='neocisco']An it will be promptly confiscated.[/QUOTE]
I'll sandwich it between John Cena signs, then unsheathe it during a crane camera fly-over.:lol::lol::lol:

Netflix recently added an AWE Legends wrestling event that has the return of Perry Saturn to the ring against C.W. Anderson. Perry eats a REALLY stiff dive landing onto a concrete floor with no padding. The event also features Kevin Nash, DDP, Lita/Amy Dumas, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Sonjay Dutt, Larry Zbyszko and "Dirty" Dutch Mantel on commentary, and Tommy Dreamer vs. Terry Funk in a No DQ match.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Raw's going to be in Nashville next month. If I go, I am so taking a "If Linda Mac Wins, We Riot!" sign.[/QUOTE]

"If Big Bird wins, we riot"

"Murphy 3:16
(says I will whoop your ass in November)"

My suggestions. A little less obvious. ;) On a similar note: Oh how I miss the days when people brought signs with a little creativity. Everything today looks like the product of chil— Oh right. The new "New Generation" era. I forgot.

[quote name='ced']I like to pretend the nWo died before the silver 2000 version with Hall, Nash, Hart and Jarrett.[/QUOTE]

I like to pretend that the Wolfpac never came into fruition. 'Twas the beginning of the end. By the time we got to n.W.o. 2000, we saw WCW take a hard body shot, stumble, and doom prepare to swarm.

This Linda McMahon-Chris Murphy race is pretty interesting—solely because the Connecticut voting populace seems to dislike both of them.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-09...17_1_campaign-signs-campaign-manager-payments

And, just because, here is Bird Bird commenting on Romney's "47-percent" blunder.

http://ctsenate2012.nhregister.com/...hon-i-disgree-with-mitt-romney-on-47-percent/

[quote name='pitfallharry219'] nWo Legends of Wrestling Roundtable Discussion featuring Kevin Nash, Jim Ross, JJ Dillon, & Michael Hayes[/QUOTE]

I watched this on YouTube Monday night instead of RAW. I love the legends roundtables but they always leave a ton of shit out -- in exchange you usually get some pretty solid stories.

Shitty Fire Pro With Avatars is supposedly coming out this Friday. Judging by the zero hype (and Friday release) this is getting, I'm sure this is going to be just great.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Shitty Fire Pro With Avatars is supposedly coming out this Friday. Judging by the zero hype (and Friday release) this is getting, I'm sure this is going to be just great.[/QUOTE]

I am willing to give it a chance. I wouldnt look at it as a Fire Pro game as it clearly isnt. But it MAY be something fun to pass the time. Cant be any worse than that Action Arcade Wrestling indie title. What a waste of $1 that was.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']He should be Zack Ryder's new tag partner. That was pretty funny stuff. AWESOME seeing Star Man.[/QUOTE]
Only if Ryder changes his name to Zach.;)

Meltzer's Twitter

Raw may have bragged about 1,000, but a wrestling TV show that had 2,000 first-run episodes, often live, is set to return. More later

Blanking. 6:05 on TBS ran forever but I don't remember that being live? Unless it was in the earlier days.

Cena just blasted WWE.

"Some #jackwagon from @wwe dotcom apparently posted me recovering in 14 days," Cena wrote. "I spoke in depth with my surgeon Dr James Andrews And he specifically told me due to the amount of fragmentation, SIX WEEKS is a safer time table for recovery."

He continued, "I apologize on behalf of a Website whos credibility is now equal to #theonion please @wwe web guys, get your monkey frankin facts straight!

"You folks have my word i will try my best to get healthy as quick as i can, and im sure i wont stay away from #raw but as of now I am supposed to lay low for SIX WEEKS. I will send surgery photos and video to @wwe so they can see how bad it really was. I am also sure that if @wwe took a second to reach out to the actual surgeon, that Dr Andrews would gladly comment.

"Ok, im now off the soap box and back to being just a one armed man. Enjoy your day."

(I'm sensing a "I can beat you with one arm!" match.. or, at the very least, an arm wrestling match)

Lawler spoke today:

Jerry "The King" Lawler admitted that receiving CPR backstage saved his life, and that his ribs are sore from it during a news conference this afternoon in Memphis, TN. Lawler said that he feels fine, and hasn't had any other chest pains since the heart attack.

He also noted that the heart attack was probably hereditary since he's never drank or smoked, and that his father had died of a heart attack. Lawler said that there was no permanent damage, and he was asked to change his diet and exercise more often. He noted that it was a good sign that the doctor said that he wouldn't need to see him again for six weeks.

Lawler was asked if he intended to wrestle again, to which he replied, "absolutely." He noted that all the wrestlers have been calling him and showing their support, including "guys like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair that aren't in WWE anymore." He noted that wrestling isn't as "physically demanding as it seems," and that while it is physical, you're not risking your life every time you step in the ring.

Lawler admitted to having some chest "discomfort" in Aruba the weekend before. He said that it didn't last more than 4 or 5 minutes, and he wrote it off as indigestion.

He discussed being at RAW the day of the heart attack. He said he felt "perfectly fine" all day and that there were no warning signs. He remembers going out to the announce booth right before the show started. He then said that he remembered the opening segment with CM Punk, John Cena and Bret Hart vividly, but that's it. He said he doesn't remember anything after that, including his own match.

Lawler finished by saying that his blood pressure is the lowest that it's been in his entire life.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Meltzer's Twitter

Blanking. 6:05 on TBS ran forever but I don't remember that being live? Unless it was in the earlier days.[/QUOTE]
It's AWA, right? Though I don't know how much of it was live.

[quote name='Scorch']Cena just blasted WWE.com[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

I'm sure McMahon and his Yes Men view the .com guys as a bunch of "GEEKS".

Botchamania has been in another rut, in my opinion. The fan submitted endings have been quite poopy, too.

[quote name='Calipso']That game looks like WWF Attitude on PS1. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Gee, sorry some dude in Canada trying to independently develop a wrestling game doesn't have the resources to put out lifelike HD graphics which not even THQ manages to pull off for their WWE games.

Whats the worst that happens? You click the Like button on Steam Greenlight, the game gets approved for publishing on Steam, and then you don't buy it?

The world needs wrestling alternatives outside of WWE/THQ, and I don't think Mat Dickie titles cut it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Blanking. 6:05 on TBS ran forever but I don't remember that being live? Unless it was in the earlier days.[/QUOTE]

Wondering if Meltzer is talking about the potential revival of Stampede Wrestling that Bret Hart is working on? Stampede did have a long ass run on TV.

[quote name='Calipso']That game looks like WWF Attitude on PS1. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

The game was built from the ground up, engine and all to be a spiritual successor in the vein of No Mercy. If that doesn't interest you then I question whether you like fun.

Lawler was asked if he intended to wrestle again, to which he replied, "absolutely." He noted that all the wrestlers have been calling him and showing their support, including "guys like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair that aren't in WWE anymore." He noted that wrestling isn't as "physically demanding as it seems," and that while it is physical, you're not risking your life every time you step in the ring.

I read that and immediately think of Hogan being a piece of shit on Twitter trying to talk Edge into not retiring.

[quote name='Genocidal']The game was built from the ground up, engine and all to be a spiritual successor in the vein of No Mercy. If that doesn't interest you then I question whether you like fun.[/QUOTE]
It still looks like hot garbage.

Someone else should beat him to the punch with an engine that has some soul.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Meltzer's Twitter

Blanking. 6:05 on TBS ran forever but I don't remember that being live? Unless it was in the earlier days.[/QUOTE]

The old Crockett World Championship Wrestling was never live all the time I ever watched it but that's the only wrestling show I can think of that could even come close to that many eps. The only other possible guess I could make is the old WWF All-American Wrestling on USA but that wasn't live either.

[quote name='Brak']It still looks like hot garbage.

Someone else should beat him to the punch with an engine that has some soul.[/QUOTE]

Because its so easy to program a wrestling engine from scratch, not using pre-existing engines like most other products do? Yeah... Someone's really going to pull that out of their ass. Especially since THQ manages to fuck something up unnecessarily every year in their WWE engines. Sounds like something someone's really going to jump on and "beat him to the punch."

I don't know why people feel the need to jump on it and hate it before even trying it. Yeah, some of the videos look shitty. This guy obviously isn't a pro at marketing and making videos to get excited about the project - which is a problem, his problem. He's just a guy who didn't like the THQ games so he headed a project to make this game that's had its ups and downs over the past 10 years. And no - it didn't take him 10 years to make what you see before you. The project was totally scrapped at one point and that's when he had programmers design from the ground up rather than try to make a wrestling game based on another engine.

If the game controls as well as No Mercy did (hopefully with some modern improvements upon the type of engine AKI had), then it's going to be a fun game. Yeah, graphics aren't awesome but I'd imagine people will find a way to make their own HD texture packs - just like they do for full big developer retail releases. Especially since the wrestling modding community is so strong.

Fans of wrestling games have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this game getting green lit on Steam.

If it gets green lit and you don't want to pay for it, you don't have to buy it. You've lost absolutely nothing by giving it a thumbs up.

If it gets green lit and it sucks but you bought it, then that might be the end of the line for this guy and his dream and some people will probably have wasted a nominal amount of money on the game - like no one here has purchased a disappointing game before? And it's not like there is anyone else lined up to get this type of wrestling game out on the PC market, so if it fails we're not really discouraging anything else because nothing else exists or is even a consideration for existing. All the other non-THQ wrestling games are arcade style silly wrestling games, or Fire Pro games which are their own entity.

If it gets green lit and its actually fun and it reaches a wider audience than ever because of Steam, then he'll have a shot at getting more funds and building an even better game in the future. Maybe if a company with perhaps more resources and tools sees that a wrestling game had enough momentum to get green lit on Steam, they might want to develop their own wrestling game for the PC. Plus, you know, we'll have gained a fun wrestling game.

So why not just log into Steam and give it a thumbs up? It's not like the world needs less wrestling games.

Sweet cream on an ice cream sandwich! It's going to be Joe Pedicino's Superstars of Wrestling! We're going back to the glory days when I could watch 7 hours of wrestling straight through every Saturday (9 if you include World Championship Wrestling). Regional promotions from all around the country on one marathon broadcast each and every week. There was nothing better for a wrestling fan at that time.

[quote name='kodave']Because its so easy to program a wrestling engine from scratch, not using pre-existing engines like most other products do? Yeah... Someone's really going to pull that out of their ass. Especially since THQ manages to fuck something up unnecessarily every year in their WWE engines. Sounds like something someone's really going to jump on and "beat him to the punch."

I don't know why people feel the need to jump on it and hate it before even trying it. Yeah, some of the videos look shitty. This guy obviously isn't a pro at marketing and making videos to get excited about the project - which is a problem, his problem. He's just a guy who didn't like the THQ games so he headed a project to make this game that's had its ups and downs over the past 10 years. And no - it didn't take him 10 years to make what you see before you. The project was totally scrapped at one point and that's when he had programmers design from the ground up rather than try to make a wrestling game based on another engine.

If the game controls as well as No Mercy did (hopefully with some modern improvements upon the type of engine AKI had), then it's going to be a fun game. Yeah, graphics aren't awesome but I'd imagine people will find a way to make their own HD texture packs - just like they do for full big developer retail releases. Especially since the wrestling modding community is so strong.

Fans of wrestling games have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this game getting green lit on Steam.

If it gets green lit and you don't want to pay for it, you don't have to buy it. You've lost absolutely nothing by giving it a thumbs up.

If it gets green lit and it sucks but you bought it, then that might be the end of the line for this guy and his dream and some people will probably have wasted a nominal amount of money on the game - like no one here has purchased a disappointing game before? And it's not like there is anyone else lined up to get this type of wrestling game out on the PC market, so if it fails we're not really discouraging anything else because nothing else exists or is even a consideration for existing. All the other non-THQ wrestling games are arcade style silly wrestling games, or Fire Pro games which are their own entity.

If it gets green lit and its actually fun and it reaches a wider audience than ever because of Steam, then he'll have a shot at getting more funds and building an even better game in the future. Maybe if a company with perhaps more resources and tools sees that a wrestling game had enough momentum to get green lit on Steam, they might want to develop their own wrestling game for the PC. Plus, you know, we'll have gained a fun wrestling game.

So why not just log into Steam and give it a thumbs up? It's not like the world needs less wrestling games.[/QUOTE]
Man. I love first-person shooters. Because of this, I'm going to give all of the fps titles on Greenlight the thumbs up.

You're acting like this man's vision is the only wrestling game that could ever be possible on Steam. His vision doesn't appeal to me. If someone else submits a wrestling game with a better vision, I'll vote for that one.

The only thing that sounds good is that he claims it's similar to the Aki engine. Well, I've heard that one before. Recreating the Aki engine isn't an impossible task, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for something with a little more style.

It's cool that the guy's vision for Pro Wrestling X includes user mods, but the game itself looks as soulless and generic as its name.

I'm clamoring for a wrestling title that has style and an awesome single-player experience. I don't think this guy has visual appeal in his budget, at this point.

I gave it the thumbs up, but I'd like to see other developers make an Aki-like wrestling titles. This guy isn't the PC's only hope, you know.

[quote name='Brak']This guy isn't the PC's only hope, you know.[/QUOTE]

What other 3D PC wrestling titles are there?

Other than Mat Dickie titles.

The last traditional 3D wrestling game by a major publisher was WWE Raw, and that was in 2002.

In a decade, no developer or publisher has shown interest for a traditional 3D wrestling game for the PC market. You know, other than this dude who has been working - making right and wrong moves - to bring us Pro Wrestling X.

Other than the THQ console games, the failed TNA console games, and the failed AAA console games - what else has there been? WWE and TNA mobile platform games? Fire Pro Wrestling, either in imports or I think there was a domestic release - but that's 2D (and very good 2D). And the upcoming Fire Pro Avatar game on XBL which is described as a "button masher." Arcade Action Wrestling on XBLI? And the sequel that guy is trying to make? Both of which more like the old 2D wrestling games? Mods and hacks for emulators running WWF No Mercy on N64? Apparently there is some guy named Adam Ryland making Wrestling Manager for iOS?

This guy basically is the PC's only current hope for a PC title. As long as there are PCs, as long as there is a knowledge of pro-wrestling, there is always a possibility of someone deciding "hey, I should make a traditional 3D wrestling game." But in 10 years, other than Mat Dickie, there haven't been any serious attempts for someone to breach this PC market. What makes you think someone will try to breach it in another 10 years if this guy doesn't? Most companies probably don't want to compete with the WWE license. And with no competition, THQ has little motivation to make serious improvements to the WWE games. Every year, the games are "good enough" but never "this is really good" like those earlier AKI games were.

Realistically, no one is trying to do what this guy is doing right now.

This game is coming out no matter what, that much has been made clear if you got back and look at his website and read his newsletters. I believe the game is completed in terms of programming/coding and graphics, with some minor tweaking and testing going on. So it will be out whether its a digital download through his website, or through another digital distribution service, or whether its in a box and on a DVD. But now there is the possibility for it to be listed on Steam which is HUGE, and that needs no explanation.

So we will get PWX on PC in a matter of time. But getting him exposure on Steam would again, do the entire world of pro wrestling video games some good, not only for exposure of his product, but to inspire competitors and other people to look at the market for the PC platform. Otherwise the future for PC gamers is looking like hacking the No Mercy ROM to death even more than they already have. So I don't see the harm in giving this guy a shot, "soulless" title or otherwise.

I watched the newest Pro Wrestling X trailer. How anyone can, in all seriousness, refer to this as a potential spiritual successor to No Mercy is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcQA49iqNM
"THE NEW NO MERCY??" :dunce:

The N64 AKI wrestling games were a once-in-a-lifetime group. We'll probably never have anything quite like them again.

That game looks like it needs another year in the oven. Shamelessly pandering by putting "NO MERCY" in all caps before even the game's title doesn't win them any points either. Keeping my thumbs to myself.

Don't remember. It's possible but off the top of my head I don't believe so.

I was thinking more pre-Turner era that dated back to the early 70's...Georgia Championship Wrestling & original incarnation of World Championship Wrestling. I know I've seen old GCW broadcasts where they'll do promos mentioning "tonight at the Omni" (for example) in front of the live studio crowd, not that it necessarily means it was live.

The Stampede guess is a excellent one. That is as good as anything I can think of. Those broadcasts went for many decades.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I watched the newest Pro Wrestling X trailer. How anyone can, in all seriousness, refer to this as a potential spiritual successor to No Mercy is beyond me.

"THE NEW NO MERCY??" :dunce:

The N64 AKI wrestling games were a once-in-a-lifetime group. We'll probably never have anything quite like them again.[/QUOTE]

How, in all seriousness, can you not pick up on things?

Again, that's a bad video. The guy obviously doesn't have marketing skills. It shows no actual gameplay, no enemy AI in action.

Its just video clips of move after move. It shows you and tells you next to nothing about the game. Again, that's the creator's problem.

Some of the strike animations don't look very good, but all of those move animations looked pretty solid and fluid.

I bet if I fired up No Mercy, put it on two player mode with two humans but only had one playing, and then video captured moves - it would look similarly bad and unnatural.

The guy made a bad video that doesn't really show case how this can play like the old N64 games, and that's his fault because its obviously not selling some of you. But the negativity here and shitting on this guy for little to no reason is kind of astounding.

But whatever, this thread is just going to hate on anything and everything these days. Classic IWC negativity in action. Hate everything modern unless its the in thing to like at the moment, pretend like the years past shit smelled like roses.

SUPER CENA UGHGHGHGHGHGGH

SHEAMUS CENA LITE EIGSFJGHSDLGHLJBVLJGNLS"DJG

LINDA IS RUNNING FOR OFFICE? NO WONDER ITS PG! EKJGS:LGHSLDGHSDL"GNSDL"NSD"LGK HOW DARE WWE DEFEND ITS PRODUCT WHEN PEOPLE USE IT TO BASH LINDA JFGNOIUH"OFN"FDLBN"FDLBNFL"KBNFL"BN

AN INDIE DEVELOPER TRYING TO MAKE A PC WRESTLING GAME? DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A MAJOR PUBLISHER RELEASE. CAN'T SPARE A LIKE ON STEAM GREEN LIGHT fuck OFF! ldfdfljbnsklfgfljgbl'gslk

You forgot "OMG GUYZ WTF IDIOTS SUPPORT THE INDIE DEVLOPERS THEY ARE TH ONLY HOPE JFFRBEUCHJTIWOPNIVFF."

Relax. Go listen to your Sounds of the Ocean CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back