The "Happy Birthday señorwahoo" OTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not sport that pistol in an old school leather Western holster on the hip?

~~~

Well folks I am off to wallow in my depression until the next time I can mooch off wifi agian.

Well I just added up my unofficial student loan total.

Tuition + Year Round Rent + Meal Plan (Mandatory) = $40,000.

That includes a Double Major in CNS and NST with an advanced certificate in Digital Forensics.

That is a pretty damn good deal in my opinion. I could also save ~$6,000 if I chose to only have academic rent and live at home during the summer.

[quote name='lordwow']So you'll have $40k in loans when you graduate?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Actually slightly less since I am eligible for some federal grants.

I'm not being an asshole, budge, but are you at all intimidated by the idea of college?

I'm hoping to score enough scholarships and grants to have a good portion of my college paid for. If I go in-state I get free tuition thanks to OHLAP.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I came out owing 25% of my college cost, give or take.

Given my current job and salary, I'd say it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

But you already have a job...

[quote name='Brak']I'm not being an asshole, budge, but are you at all intimidated by the idea of college?[/QUOTE]

The course work? Not really. Although I have no idea of what to expect... so maybe I should be.

However, the idea of moving out on my own in approximately 3 months kind of blows my brain.

I legitimately have no clue what I'm going to do with my life after school. I've thought about some kind of engineering, but I don't think I'm cut out for that. I want to do something where I can be creative, travel, not hate life, and make enough money for my family and I to live comfortably. No clue what kind of job would fit that criteria.

Ya, I graduated with about 20K in debt, which isn't bad for a $40k/year college. I'm gonna be sunk with grad school debt, probably 40K more.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I legitimately have no clue what I'm going to do with my life after school. I've thought about some kind of engineering, but I don't think I'm cut out for that. I want to do something where I can be creative, travel, not hate life, and make enough money for my family and I to live comfortably. No clue what kind of job would fit that criteria.[/QUOTE]
Look into non-profit organizations.

[quote name='lordwow']Ya, I graduated with about 20K in debt, which isn't bad for a $40k/year college. I'm gonna be sunk with grad school debt, probably 40K more.[/QUOTE]

$20k is not bad. I ended up with about 5K my wife over $20k. It can be paid down quick if you make it a priority, and hold off on having kids.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Look into non-profit organizations.[/QUOTE]

Will do, thanks.

...It's probably not safe to send money first when it comes to Craigslist, right?

[quote name='DarthPuma']...It's probably not safe to send money first when it comes to Craigslist, right?[/QUOTE]

Are you shitting me?

Only ever deal local, in person, and with cash over Craigslist.

So I do have a question about students loans. According to the results of my FAFSA I will get like a total of $20,000 in federal loans and grants. Does that mean that I will need to get the rest from a private student loan from say Chase Bank or local credit union?

Yes. That's what my fiance did budge. You can oftentimes get them from SallieMae as well, which is easier since they're all at the same place. (She also got one from Citibank). The only difference is they're unsubsidized (accrue interest while you're in school) and generally have a slightly higher interest rate.

[quote name='darthbudge']So I do have a question about students loans. According to the results of my FAFSA I will get like a total of $20,000 in federal loans and grants. Does that mean that I will need to get the rest from a private student loan from say Chase Bank or local credit union?[/QUOTE]

If you have a Government Subsidized Loan the college will usually issue it, but out of what ever bank they use. If you have to get other loans it will all be from a private lender. I was looking into Suntrust.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']$20k is not bad. I ended up with about 5K my wife over $20k. It can be paid down quick if you make it a priority, and hold off on having kids.[/QUOTE]

Whoops?

[quote name='darthbudge']Were you working or did you have a bunch of scholarships Lordwow?
[/QUOTE]

I had a scholarship for half my tuition ($16k/year scholarship), I got grants each semester, usually about $1k-$2k from federal and state. I was an RA so I had free room and board for 4 of the 5 years I was there (which is estimated at $12k/year for a single room and 19 meals a week). Plus I worked co-ops (full time internships) 3 times, but only 1 was paid. And I worked another part time job (Residential security, which is my 40 hour a week job now) on top of it.

I didn't have much free time, but luckily my major was not that intensive outside of class.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Are you shitting me?

Only ever deal local, in person, and with cash over Craigslist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. Wish I lived close enough to take the guy up on the deal then.

I looked up NPO's on wikipedia. It made it sound like you don't make shit working for one, but it would be cool to do something that benefited people.

I'm not sure exactly how much loan debt i have, less than 10k i'm pretty sure. A friend of mine has a great internship making almost $20 an hour, wish i could find something like that. I was reading something on loan forgiveness a while back, apparently working in the peace corp can get you loan forgiveness.

[quote name='lordwow']Whoops?
[/QUOTE]
We got it (our combined total) down to about $4k total. We just had to stop the accelerated repayment we were doing because of the extra expenses and mortgage.

[quote name='JolietJake']I'm not sure exactly how much loan debt i have, less than 10k i'm pretty sure. A friend of mine has a great internship making almost $20 an hour, wish i could find something like that. I was reading something on loan forgiveness a while back, apparently working in the peace corp can get you loan forgiveness.[/QUOTE]

There's a couple of ways. If you're really in debt, if you work for a non-profit for 10 years (and pay back what you can during those 10 years) then you're forgiven too.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']We got it (our combined total) down to about $4k total. We just had to stop the accelerated repayment we were doing because of the extra expenses and mortgage.[/QUOTE]

I meant about the kid thing :lol:

Luckily, if I get this Grad Assistantship, my only living expense will be my student loans, which I won't defer. Still, I can't imagine paying more than the minimum amount right now ($300/month)... which only pays it off in 10 years.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Yeah, you're right. Wish I lived close enough to take the guy up on the deal then.

I looked up NPO's on wikipedia. It made it sound like you don't make shit working for one, but it would be cool to do something that benefited people.[/QUOTE]
Who cares what you make as long as you enjoy it and can live decently?

If you want to travel/"be creative" (whatever you mean by that), then an NPO is the way to go. Business, the only other thing that I can think of that will get you travelling, is a major for artificial, terrible people (99% of the time, that is--I know only one business major that I can legit say I'm glad I met).

[quote name='Liquid 2']Who cares what you make as long as you enjoy it and can live decently?

If you want to travel/"be creative" (whatever you mean by that), then an NPO is the way to go. Business, the only other thing that I can think of that will get you travelling, is a major for artificial, terrible people (99% of the time, that is--I know only one business major that I can legit say I'm glad I met).[/QUOTE]

I've never really understood what a Business Major entailed. It seems like a ridiculously broad subject.

My roommate should learn not to leave himself logged into facebook when he uses my computer.

His newly proclaimed love for Shia LaBeouf, Transformers, and Linkin Park should change that.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Business, the only other thing that I can think of that will get you travelling, is a major for artificial, terrible people (99% of the time, that is--I know only one business major that I can legit say I'm glad I met).[/QUOTE]Yep. :lol:

[quote name='Ugamer_X']My roommate should learn not to leave himself logged into facebook when he uses my computer.

His newly proclaimed love for Shia LaBeouf, Transformers, and Linkin Park should change that.[/QUOTE]

Your roommate is LP?

[quote name='Trakan']Ugh, finally.

Epic is going to test the removal of the stun effect of smoke nades in Gears.[/QUOTE]

Thank god.

:rofl:

Some asswipe just drove by in a Honda Accord blasting Linkin Park. How do these people even exist?
[quote name='Trakan']Ugh, finally.

Epic is going to test the removal of the stun effect of smoke nades in Gears.[/QUOTE]
So the smoke nade will be pretty useless now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back