The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also includes Japanese arcade joysticks and buttons from Sanwa. Fighting game fans mainly use this brand for its quality, not like the generic Lego parts Arcade 1up uses in their other cabinets. Those parts alone will already cost around $70 not including tax and shipping. Then there is some certificate since only 8000 will be made and to celebrate 80 years of Maaahhhhvelll
Mind you that is true for Japan arcades, and Sanwa indeed makes high quality sticks and buttons. Gamers from that period in the US however will be more familiar with HAPP bat top sticks and concave buttons (Sanwa are typically convex). You can get a bat top for Sanwa sticks for familiarity, but they will still feel loose to the discerning 90's US gamer. Also available for Sanwa sticks is an eight way gate to give you those corners US games are familiar with, it just snaps on in place of the normal square gate on the bottom of the Sanwa stick.

You just can't beat Sanwa quality though, and it is definitely worth the premium.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Limited Edition Cabinet. So tempting! I love those games, I just don't love the price. Star Wars though...yeah they already have my money. Just have to provide a link for me to spend it.
Yeah, I never really cared for the concept of these A1U units, but the SW is of interest to me as well. Depending on reviews for the yoke, I may or may not get one at some point, but it will for sure need to be at a reduced price if and when I do.

Yeah, I never really cared for the concept of these A1U units, but the SW is of interest to me as well. Depending on reviews for the yoke, I may or may not get one at some point, but it will for sure need to be at a reduced price if and when I do.
The Star Wars cabinet certainly looks really cool, but I am not very nostalgic for those particular games and know it wouldn't get played much. The Marvel one is appealing because those are games I know would get a lot of play, same with the Final Fight cabinet, which I believe has the best overall line-up of games in terms of value.

The final fight cab has a great lineup. Those are good titles that have replay value at least to me- the other multicabs are one and done. Arcade Strider is definitely a gem.

I think I'm done modding my Asteroids unit (except for  making a lit marquee or replacing the bottom-front panel). I need a different one for $75 to start working on :D

[attachment=32534:IMG_20190725_203004.jpg]

I think I'm done modding my Asteroids unit (except for making a lit marquee or replacing the bottom-front panel). I need a different one for $75 to start working on :D

IMG_20190725_203004.jpg
That looks great! How much did the modding cost you? And what did you do with the dial? Looks like 5 buttons per player? Sorry for all the questions, but I have an Asteroids cabinet too. Plans :)

WTH is wrong with kirby?!?!?
Bought a bootleg Kirby nap pillow from AliExpress and it came smooshed in a bubble mailer. Still working on getting the creases out, ha.

That looks great! How much did the modding cost you? And what did you do with the dial? Looks like 5 buttons per player? Sorry for all the questions, but I have an Asteroids cabinet too. Plans :)
I've probably got $200-250 in it in total. Buttons/joysticks/encoders ($50ish), Pi 3b+ ($30), amp ($10), speakers/grills/replacement front panel for speakers + USB mount ($30ish after shipping), LCD controller ($30), the unit itself ($75). I'm sure I'm forgetting some other minor things. I did five buttons per player because that let me keep the original button holes from the original control panel and not have to drill through the words painted on the control panel. Each player also has a lit "coin" button on the front of it, and there are five more buttons between P1 and P2 (1p start, 2p start, each player gets one black button, and then one white button in the middle). I replaced the spinner (the quality sucks) with a plasma ball that I got from a flea market for $1 and wired it to the original on/off switch, so that it can be powered on/off independently of everything else. People have been replacing the spinner with a nice $40-50 one from Amazon, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Oh, and I hooked everything internal up to a surge protector, which I plugged into a smart plug, and then an extension cord coming off that that goes through the back panel to the wall. Glad to answer anything else ^_^

Bought a bootleg Kirby nap pillow from AliExpress and it came smooshed in a bubble mailer. Still working on getting the creases out, ha.

I've probably got $200-250 in it in total. Buttons/joysticks/encoders ($50ish), Pi 3b+ ($30), amp ($10), speakers/grills/replacement front panel for speakers + USB mount ($30ish after shipping), LCD controller ($30), the unit itself ($75). I'm sure I'm forgetting some other minor things. I did five buttons per player because that let me keep the original button holes from the original control panel and not have to drill through the words painted on the control panel. Each player also has a lit "coin" button on the front of it, and there are five more buttons between P1 and P2 (1p start, 2p start, each player gets one black button, and then one white button in the middle). I replaced the spinner (the quality sucks) with a plasma ball that I got from a flea market for $1 and wired it to the original on/off switch, so that it can be powered on/off independently of everything else. People have been replacing the spinner with a nice $40-50 one from Amazon, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Oh, and I hooked everything internal up to a surge protector, which I plugged into a smart plug, and then an extension cord coming off that that goes through the back panel to the wall. Glad to answer anything else ^_^
Thanks! I may do a good spinner when I go Pi, it makes a difference with Tempest. Too bad the one they provide is trash.

Thanks! I may do a good spinner when I go Pi, it makes a difference with Tempest. Too bad the one they provide is trash.
Just make sure that your USB encoders have the correct pinout for the spinner, or you might need to buy an extra interface board. Same goes with buying a trackball.

Hit a bunch of Walmarts today in hopes of finding a deal on any of these and came up empty handed. Per usual, Brickseek was off with what it was showing.

I ended up calling the Walmarts that showed inventory to confirm it before driving out. However it takes so long to get an answer you may be as well off driving over.
Just get a car with hands-free calling. Unless you're poor. If you're poor, then TrumpCat doesn't want you in his thread anyway.

I tried the ship to store, as suggested, and was able to price adjust to store price without a problem. The lady in customer service was more than happy to adjust. The Brickseek prices appear accurate. I would pick the cab you want and ship it to the closest store with the price you want.

Just get a car with hands-free calling. Unless you're poor. If you're poor, then TrumpCat doesn't want you in his thread anyway.
I did, but seriously, a few times I was on hold for over 10 minutes. Then had to explain to multiple people what I was checking. I think shop to store may be easier :)

I ended up calling the Walmarts that showed inventory to confirm it before driving out. However it takes so long to get an answer you may be as well off driving over.
And you have to believe them! That's hard to do... I've received different info from multiple people in the same store. One person says I can't buy something until after 10pm.... another brings it out and rings it up. One person says they don't have something... another brings it out from the back.

I also came across a $75 Asteroids machine yesterday for the first time ever, though I ultimately decided to pass on it.  I am all-in on their TMNT cabinet and don't really want to have more than one in my house.

I also came across a $75 Asteroids machine yesterday for the first time ever, though I ultimately decided to pass on it. I am all-in on their TMNT cabinet and don't really want to have more than one in my house.
It's the only one I have seen for that cheap as well, but also passed on it. I like those games, but not enough to own a cabinet for them. I'd have definitely modded it if I did pick it up, but I also don't have time to do that right now either. I am all in on that Marvel cabinet though and plan on picking it up this Fall. TMNT is also very nice looking.

That’s for the non LE cab at GameStop, so the LE is a fantastic deal. Sanwa buttons and sticks would cost you a lot more then $20
I am not even interested in the standard cab for $380. I want the LE, but can't justify the spend right now without my wife killing me.

I would have totally grabbed an Asteroids cab at $75, but I don't recall even seeing one at regular price at the 5 Walmarts I stopped at :headache:

I’m enjoying my Asteroids cab but am torn between simply replacing the crappy spinner or going full Retropie with it. If I do Retropie I want to get the wider deck that has room for a spinner and trackball along with 2 joysticks and six buttons per player. At that point should I just build a new cabinet? So confusing.

I’m enjoying my Asteroids cab but am torn between simply replacing the crappy spinner or going full Retropie with it. If I do Retropie I want to get the wider deck that has room for a spinner and trackball along with 2 joysticks and six buttons per player. At that point should I just build a new cabinet? So confusing.
Your questions are more than valid, but you probably should have asked them before buying the Asteroids cab. LOL

Yeah, the only one of these cabs that has had any interest for me is the Star Wars one, and that's only because of the unique controls, as that offering would probably be the best in regards to playing the game as originally intended. I've always looked at Retropie as the way to go, but I can buy a smaller custom cab suited to that, and pay less and get more. Of course getting one of these super cheap makes converting one a more inviting proposition(still, not the intended use).

Arcade cabs have always been big, heavy and expensive, so these meet a market need I suppose, but they are lost on me. If I was in to classic arcade cabs, I would want authentic machines(or authentic carts for systems, not repros), and if I just wanted to play the games, I can do that almost any place else for almost nothing. Even the controls on these are far from perfect, as many things like the rotary dial is garbage and needs to be replaced. There are so many DIY kits that allow for true arcade parts, the only real reason to convert a 1Up is if it was acquired dirt cheap(which seems to be your situation).

So now you have a dedicated machine, that does very little, and to go all out, you'll need something different for more real-estate on the control area? I would say your going to have to see how much converting your current machine would cost vs what you paid, and what you really want, and go from there. It may be better off to sell your current cab and get something more suited, or leave it as is, and just get some retropie specific, as it may be less work and cheaper in the end.

Your questions are more than valid, but you probably should have asked them before buying the Asteroids cab. LOL

Yeah, the only one of these cabs that has had any interest for me is the Star Wars one, and that's only because of the unique controls, as that offering would probably be the best in regards to playing the game as originally intended. I've always looked at Retropie as the way to go, but I can buy a smaller custom cab suited to that, and pay less and get more. Of course getting one of these super cheap makes converting one a more inviting proposition(still, not the intended use).

Arcade cabs have always been big, heavy and expensive, so these meet a market need I suppose, but they are lost on me. If I was in to classic arcade cabs, I would want authentic machines(or authentic carts for systems, not repros), and if I just wanted to play the games, I can do that almost any place else for almost nothing. Even the controls on these are far from perfect, as many things like the rotary dial is garbage and needs to be replaced. There are so many DIY kits that allow for true arcade parts, the only real reason to convert a 1Up is if it was acquired dirt cheap(which seems to be your situation).

So now you have a dedicated machine, that does very little, and to go all out, you'll need something different for more real-estate on the control area? I would say your going to have to see how much converting your current machine would cost vs what you paid, and what you really want, and go from there. It may be better off to sell your current cab and get something more suited, or leave it as is, and just get some retropie specific, as it may be less work and cheaper in the end.
You make some good points :) I actually wanted this one for the unique controls for Tempest; I knew in advance the knob want great, but it’s still a better way to play Tempest. Also it was only $75 :). Looks like I can mod it to do everything pretty easily for around $250, which is cheaper than anything I’ve seen for a prebuilt Retropie cabinet. And living in Texas, where we don’t have basements, I have no space for a bigger cabinet.

One nice thing about these is the button mashing games like Asteroid, Galaga, etc play so much better with a stationery control panel than a modern controller. So even though I have some classic arcade collections for console, they still plays better on a somewhat chintzy small cabinet.

Also my 4 year old loves it :) easier to handle than anything we’ve tried on Xbox.

I am not even interested in the standard cab for $380. I want the LE, but can't justify the spend right now without my wife killing me.
That is one thing me and my wife don't ever argue about. We keep our money totally separate. After we each pay half the bills each month, she buys whatever she wants (and believe me, if we shared money I would be pissed about the amount of clothes and shoes she buys for herself or the amount of toys she buys our son) and I buy what I want. We do take turns on paying for when our family goes out to eat. It has worked so well, I don't believe more people don't do it.

This is also why she doesn't care about the amount of systems, games, and swag I have in the game room as I bought 99% of it over the last 25 years.

That is one thing me and my wife don't ever argue about. We keep our money totally separate. After we each pay half the bills each month, she buys whatever she wants (and believe me, if we shared money I would be pissed about the amount of clothes and shoes she buys for herself or the amount of toys she buys our son) and I buy what I want. We do take turns on paying for when our family goes out to eat. It has worked so well, I don't believe more people don't do it.

This is also why she doesn't care about the amount of systems, games, and swag I have in the game room as I bought 99% of it over the last 25 years.
My wife and I actually do the same thing. My wife would mostly kill because I also buy a ton of video games and this cab comes out the same time I will also be buying a bunch of games, Switch Lite, Genesis Mini, etc. Chances are I will still buy this cabinet, but since the nicer LE was announced that's the model I want now.

Also my 4 year old loves it :) easier to handle than anything we’ve tried on Xbox.
It's all good, as your situation seems to fit way better for something like this, than I ever could, and that's what makes choice and options a good thing for all. I actually own 4 arcade cabs(2 full size & 2 cocktails), and the full size ones are in my garage being stored, until I can make room for them indoors. So I more than understand how 1UP is selling these, especially to a pretty good size group of buyers(who knew?). LOL

I'm actually in to collecting the 1/4 & 1/6 scale mini cabs of Numskull & New Wave Toys, and those are for sure a niche item, but I'm the intended market and I love those things. I paid more for each one of those than what you paid for your Asteroids, and most would ask me why? So it's always a different strokes for different folks mentality for me, and if anyone sees a value in what they buy, that's all that matters.

Just as an FYI, for those willing to roll the dice or if they want to get a bunch of machines at once, directliquidation dot com has daily auctions with these machines as customer returns. I only want one machine so I'm waiting for the "next big sale" but you can nab a good auction here with a bunch of different cabs.

PS: Make sure you search Arcade1Up in the search bar.

PSS: If you are in the North New Jersey, US area and you win one of these auctions, please let me know and I'll buy a non-working cab, you can take all the guts/cp/monitor/etc, just need the frame.

Just as an FYI, for those willing to roll the dice or if they want to get a bunch of machines at once, directliquidation dot com has daily auctions with these machines as customer returns. I only want one machine so I'm waiting for the "next big sale" but you can nab a good auction here with a bunch of different cabs.

PS: Make sure you search Arcade1Up in the search bar.

PSS: If you are in the North New Jersey, US area and you win one of these auctions, please let me know and I'll buy a non-working cab, you can take all the guts/cp/monitor/etc, just need the frame.
That’s pretty cool... some decent prices if even a few on a palette work. Thanks!

I finally caved and got the $50 replacement knob for Tempest/Major Havoc on the Asteroids cabinet.

What a difference! Tempest plays better than I’ve probably ever experienced. Major Havoc is also better, but since it’s actually designed to play with an x-axis trackball it’s still a bit off. That game is hard AF.

err, brickseek failed me.  Said they have 3 in stock locally,  all came up empyrt handed (was trying to get a $75 asteroids or Centipede due to price). WIll get a TMNT later this year. interested in Final Fight but not for $300. 

err, brickseek failed me. Said they have 3 in stock locally, all came up empyrt handed (was trying to get a $75 asteroids or Centipede due to price). WIll get a TMNT later this year. interested in Final Fight but not for $300.
Sadly that’s pretty common. However if that’s the in store price folks say you can order it, ship to store, and return and rebuy it at pickup to get the lower price.

Sadly that’s pretty common. However if that’s the in store price folks say you can order it, ship to store, and return and rebuy it at pickup to get the lower price.
Yep. Did that with my $75 galaga a few weeks ago.

Speaking of which, my custom control panel and artwork came in for it yesterday too. Bought from diyretroarcade and had a great experience. Will eventually replace the bezel, front panel, and marquee. If anyone is interested, here it is:

http://imgur.com/a/m6MAN5h

I just used what buttons I had laying around and didn’t wire anything yet. I have more white buttons comping in tomorrow- the 2 red buttons on the top right and the 2 extra green buttons will be swapped with white. The second joystick on the right will likely be replaced with just a button, still undecided on that one.

Speaking of which, my custom control panel and artwork came in for it yesterday too. Bought from diyretroarcade and had a great experience. Will eventually replace the bezel, front panel, and marquee. If anyone is interested, here it is:

I just used what buttons I had laying around and didn’t wire anything yet. I have more white buttons comping in tomorrow- the 2 red buttons on the top right and the 2 extra green buttons will be swapped with white. The second joystick on the right will likely be replaced with just a button, still undecided on that one.
So just to fact check, you bought the cab online, sent it to a store with zero stock, and got a price adjustment? I might try that myself then.

http://imgur.com/a/m6MAN5h

Very nice!

So just to fact check, you bought the cab online, sent it to a store with zero stock, and got a price adjustment? I might try that myself then.
Kind of. Here’s exactly what happened:

Looked on brickseek one day. Store had 6 in stock out of nowhere. Went on Walmart.com and it actually let me order for in store pickup at the $75. Walmart sucks, so a full day later I get an email that it’s no longer in stock (clearly someone bought all 6 in the last 24 hours. This particular Walmart sucks at in store pickup). Email says order delayed. A few days later I get another email saying it was shipped to the store and they have it now.

I go in, pick it up, chat with the guy at pickup counter about the $75, says no big deal it should automatically change to the $75. Pickup complete, I get my email receipt and it’s the full $300. I push my cart 10 feet over to service desk, kindly explain to the woman (who was actually friendly and nice, I was shocked) about the $75. She looks it up in system. Says ok. Let’s do a return rebuy.

We do. I get it for $76. Everyone is happy. Easy peasy.

bread's done
Back