The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, had considered Pi but didnt know about the AIU images. That will def cut down on the tinkering needed.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
I downloaded a vertical games only Arcade1up image for my pacman. Worked flawlessly. The image was setup so that when you first booted it on your Pi it asked to setup your controls.

I then went in and removed a bunch of games and added some of my own. Extremely easy.

Anyone know the current cheapest place to get a riser? I know Walmart had them clearances at $11 previously. Anywhere to pick one up on the cheap currently?
Not that I could find. I think $39.99 was the cheapest from Walmart, and even then I had to order for instore pickup. Shelf price I kept seeing was $44.99.

I tracked down a Final Fight cabinet yesterday. The build quality on this one compared to the Marvel is pretty obvious that it's an early release. I scuffed up some spots just sliding it around on the carpet when I was building it. Oh well, it's hard to tell unless you know what to look for. 

ppxHMcf.jpg

Not that I could find. I think $39.99 was the cheapest from Walmart, and even then I had to order for instore pickup. Shelf price I kept seeing was $44.99.

I've seen them listed for $11 to & $14 on brickseeker before at Walmart, usually at stores that have the cabinets also on low clearance.

But i would probably just make one before paying $45 for a black box.
like use stuff around the house, stack bricks, or a large milk crate and wrap it in black cloth then weigh the cabinet down or brace it to the wall or just buy wood, nails, n spray paint at home depot. They can cut the basic square size for you for free there too.

I've seen them listed for $11 to & $14 on brickseeker before at Walmart, usually at stores that have the cabinets also on low clearance.

But i would probably just make one before paying $45 for a black box.
like use stuff around the house, stack bricks, or a large milk crate and wrap it in black cloth then weigh the cabinet down or brace it to the wall or just buy wood, nails, n spray paint at home depot. They can cut the basic square size for you for free there too.
I plan on doing this with the Marvel riser I have. I traced the parts out on a scrap piece of plywood I have in the garage and will make a riser about the same as the factory one and I'm just going to paint it gloss black with some leftover paint that's been collecting dust.

You could always go Pi and download one of the many Arcade1up images out there.
Does running an AIU image on Pi allow you to favorite games and disable games that you don't want ... like on Pandora's Box?

Does Pi setup support game saves?

I tracked down a Final Fight cabinet yesterday. The build quality on this one compared to the Marvel is pretty obvious that it's an early release. I scuffed up some spots just sliding it around on the carpet when I was building it. Oh well, it's hard to tell unless you know what to look for.
ppxHMcf.jpg
Are you happy with the monitor quality on the Final Fight cab? Since it was released at the same time as Space Invaders (my other cab) I expect build quality to be very similar.

Does running an AIU image on Pi allow you to favorite games and disable games that you don't want ... like on Pandora's Box?

Does Pi setup support game saves?

An “A1U image” is really just a pi image someone made specifically for arcade1ups. There are some good ones on arcade punks. If you have a basic understanding of how a Pi works or if the software itself, it’s easy enough to edit. All I did was use my pic to delete a bunch of games I didn’t want off the card. Depending on how the image is setup, there SHOULD be the ability to save or favorite as that’s a part of the retro pie software itself. I don’t do either (but my high scores save and that’s all I want).

Personally, and this is just me, I think of you need to favorite games then you have too many on there. Scrolling and searching takes away the joy of it, for me at least. I get why people Put a ton of games on these, but putting 5,000 games on there just because you can is just silly to me.

On my vertical cabinet I have about 70 games or so. I think that’s perfect. On my 4:3 cab running a pc with launchbox bigbox I’d have to look but it’s probably around a thousand (there were waaaaay more but I deleted a ton). I’m gonna drastically cut down on that thousand too.

Are you happy with the monitor quality on the Final Fight cab? Since it was released at the same time as Space Invaders (my other cab) I expect build quality to be very similar.

What order did the cabs come out? I know on the Reddit page there is a list of G1/G2 and G3, but Final Fight and Space Invaders aren’t listed so I wasn’t sure if they are G1 or G2 and if G2, what the diffs are from G1.

An “A1U image” is really just a pi image someone made specifically for arcade1ups. There are some good ones on arcade punks. If you have a basic understanding of how a Pi works or if the software itself, it’s easy enough to edit. All I did was use my pic to delete a bunch of games I didn’t want off the card. Depending on how the image is setup, there SHOULD be the ability to save or favorite as that’s a part of the retro pie software itself. I don’t do either (but my high scores save and that’s all I want).

Personally, and this is just me, I think of you need to favorite games then you have too many on there. Scrolling and searching takes away the joy of it, for me at least. I get why people Put a ton of games on these, but putting 5,000 games on there just because you can is just silly to me.

On my vertical cabinet I have about 70 games or so. I think that’s perfect. On my 4:3 cab running a pc with launchbox bigbox I’d have to look but it’s probably around a thousand (there were waaaaay more but I deleted a ton). I’m gonna drastically cut down on that thousand too.
I previously looked for a vertical A1Up image but couldn’t find one...can you tell me which search terms might help me find the one you used?

Also, what controls are you using on your vertical cab...joystick, # of buttons, 1 or 2 player, trackball, spinner, etc.

Another also, is the screen orientation set in the rpi settings or in the RetroPie/emulator settings? I ask because I tried using an image for a horizontal orientation and then changing the orientation at the os level, but I’ve heard it impacts performance significantly.

For my vertical cab I used a 12-in-1 control deck and added a 4/8-way joystick to the upper left. But no matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to find the sensitivity settings for the trackball/spinner to make games like marble madness or Arkanoid feel smooth and playable like the original games I remember.

Lastly, I agree with pruning down the list of games when using a preconfigured image. Having a 1,000+ games might seem awesome, but it makes it difficult and time consuming to search through the list and less East to just jump into one of your favorite games. Also, with a smaller set of games you can make sure each one is properly configured and works they way it should.

What order did the cabs come out? I know on the Reddit page there is a list of G1/G2 and G3, but Final Fight and Space Invaders aren’t listed so I wasn’t sure if they are G1 or G2 and if G2, what the diffs are from G1.
So far as I can tell, Space Invaders and Final Fight are part of Wave 2

I previously looked for a vertical A1Up image but couldn’t find one...can you tell me which search terms might help me find the one you used?

Also, what controls are you using on your vertical cab...joystick, # of buttons, 1 or 2 player, trackball, spinner, etc.

Another also, is the screen orientation set in the rpi settings or in the RetroPie/emulator settings? I ask because I tried using an image for a horizontal orientation and then changing the orientation at the os level, but I’ve heard it impacts performance significantly.

For my vertical cab I used a 12-in-1 control deck and added a 4/8-way joystick to the upper left. But no matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to find the sensitivity settings for the trackball/spinner to make games like marble madness or Arkanoid feel smooth and playable like the original games I remember.

Lastly, I agree with pruning down the list of games when using a preconfigured image. Having a 1,000+ games might seem awesome, but it makes it difficult and time consuming to search through the list and less East to just jump into one of your favorite games. Also, with a smaller set of games you can make sure each one is properly configured and works they way it should.
Vertical cabs that I know of are PacMan, Galaga and Space Invaders ... although there are probably others

For my vert, I am using a single 4/8 way joystick, 3 action buttons, P1 and P2 buttons and test and service buttons. I figured any more than that might clutter the control panel, given the size.

Alright, so you've convinced me that Pi is the way to go. Can these just be powered on and off from a power strip? Or do they have to be powered down in a certain way?
Yes. You’re supposed to power down using the software, but I almost never do. Could cause a memory card failure. I have a backup image so I’m not worried about a failure. I have mine hooked up to a smart outlet and power on/off by saying “turn on/off the arcade.” It’s quite lovely.

Probably never gonna happen, but I really want a Killer Instinct Arcade1up.  Huge fan of the game in the arcades, so much fun.

Probably never gonna happen, but I really want a Killer Instinct Arcade1up. Huge fan of the game in the arcades, so much fun.
I could see Killer Instinct happening before a lot of other games. Since Microsoft owns it now and are very willing to work with other companies to licenses out their IPs I would actually see KI as a very likely Arcade 1Up release.

I could see Killer Instinct happening before a lot of other games. Since Microsoft owns it now and are very willing to work with other companies to licenses out their IPs I would actually see KI as a very likely Arcade 1Up release.
But the design of the cabinet probably belongs to Nintendo, if I'm not mistaken. But since it isn't their franchise, it probably wouldn't be that bad. The main issue is that you are starting to get up to above Nintendo 64 level emulation - which is going to increase the necessary hardware and emulation complexity.

The one I'd like to see that will probably never happen is a Nintendo cabinet. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong 3. And if they really went nuts, get Popeye in there, too. That one would sell at retail price like crazy.

Spent the last few days trying different distros and images for a space invaders "upgrade" and drove myself nuts as someof the games I wanted to play (japanese shmups) had no sound, regardless of the emulators used in the distro (tried all the mame variants and other arcade emulators on board)

I modded a Street Fighter with an unused PC (an old Xeon with 20GB of ram) and using launchbox which runs like a dream with arcade and console games. While fighting with the pi to get my wanted roms working (I was not in the mood to hunt down another mame romset for a handful of games) I looked over on the parts table and realized I still have a homeless I5 system. Guess what's in the Space Invaders cab now? Runs the shmups I wanted flawlessly and I can add a few steam games as well!

Fun fact for people using PCs in these units.... an old arcade button makes a neat power on button. Both cabs have 1 around the back for easy powering up.

Spent the last few days trying different distros and images for a space invaders "upgrade" and drove myself nuts as someof the games I wanted to play (japanese shmups) had no sound, regardless of the emulators used in the distro (tried all the mame variants and other arcade emulators on board)

I modded a Street Fighter with an unused PC (an old Xeon with 20GB of ram) and using launchbox which runs like a dream with arcade and console games. While fighting with the pi to get my wanted roms working (I was not in the mood to hunt down another mame romset for a handful of games) I looked over on the parts table and realized I still have a homeless I5 system. Guess what's in the Space Invaders cab now? Runs the shmups I wanted flawlessly and I can add a few steam games as well!

Fun fact for people using PCs in these units.... an old arcade button makes a neat power on button. Both cabs have 1 around the back for easy powering up.
Launchbox Bigbox truly is fantastic. Easily worth the money. May even have a Black Friday price coming up.

KI1 and 2 are a game that still hasn't really been emulated properly. I remember that was a KIAME project years ago that ran it properly and I don't even remember what happened with it, but I know that in MAME and stuff it doesn't work and runs like crap.

Thankfully, I own Killer Instinct 1 arcade PCB/HD and it works just great. My KI2 PCB has issues though, not sure what is wrong with it.

I will say though, the game has not aged very well. Like all of those old fighters though with shit AI, it's only fun to play with other people. And no one wants to play me in it because I whoop em.

I went to Target in western NY and the guy looked up Marvel Arcade1up for me, said one was in the back. He wheeled it out to only tell me it was a mistake and they can't sell it till the 28th. Damn =\

I have only gotten about 2 hours of time on it and it's fine to me, but my eyes aren't exactly perfect. Sitting next to the newer Marvel one it is noticeably not as good, but for my random playing it is fine.

B+.

I just finished wiring up the kick harness for my pi2jamma in my KI2 cabinet and it turned out super clean.

https://i.imgur.com/aJfqWge.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sxKLpKB.jpg

I got a B+ in there and it works great.
Never really fooled with Pi. I'd like to go RetroPie for this mod, but need to get it up and running for an Xmas gift. Pandora's Box is the obvious plug and play solution, but I like some of the added features and flexibility of RetroPie. Plus it will be cheaper.

Looking to use a 5:4 Wolfanoz image. Only thing I am a little unclear on is how difficult the setup is once you flash the image to the drive. I've seen some videos. It looks straightforward, but then I see comments that really get into the weeds when talking about setup.

So, MK was showing $249 on Walmart.com and my local store had one left. They also had one more Final Fight that was marked down to $199. The MK still rang up $299 so it took an override, which was a few real pain in the ass at 5:30 am, but I got both.
Now I have MK, FF, Golden Tee and the 12-in-1 from Best Buy. I wouldn't mind a Pac-man but I really want Rampage too.

So, MK was showing $249 on Walmart.com and my local store had one left. They also had one more Final Fight that was marked down to $199. The MK still rang up $299 so it took an override, which was a few real pain in the ass at 5:30 am, but I got both.
Now I have MK, FF, Golden Tee and the 12-in-1 from Best Buy. I wouldn't mind a Pac-man but I really want Rampage too.
Rampage was my first, mainly for Joust. That's a game I can sit down (literally) and play any time. Defender is an acquired taste however.

The last time I made a RetroPie box I got a little too ambitious and used a 64 GB micro SD card. While the Raspberry Pi can theoretically handle some of the larger micro SD cards, in practice using these sizes can lead to issues. For anyone looking to install Retropie, I would recommend sticking to a 32 GB or smaller micro SD card.

The last time I made a RetroPie box I got a little too ambitious and used a 64 GB micro SD card. While the Raspberry Pi can theoretically handle some of the larger micro SD cards, in practice using these sizes can lead to issues. For anyone looking to install Retropie, I would recommend sticking to a 32 GB or smaller micro SD card.
I've got a 64GB in my arcade cabinet and it works fine. The key is to get a good quality SD card, and as you said don't go nuts on size. Get a good SanDisk card, PNY and some of the others might be questionable. 32 or 64 GB is just fine and will store everything you need short of uncompressed Playstation disc images in large quantities (just be selective on those). Personally I just put arcade games on the cabinet, and use a modded PS Classic for PSX games as they are really meant for a TV/couch experience. You can fit practically every game MAME/FBA can use and be playable (including NeoGeo) on a 32 GB card easily. You might get into the weeds if you start putting a full selection of Daphne laserdisc games on there, as they can be large.

You can fit practically every game MAME/FBA can use and be playable (including NeoGeo) on a 32 GB card easily.
Yes, for the majority of retro games, anything north of 16 GB should suffice. In fact, as long as you aren't shifting into optical-media games, 8 GB and below will be sufficient. It's only when you start getting into CD games that you start to require a bit more storage space. The majority of legacy console and arcade titles didn't actually take up all that much room in terms of data storage. (especially by modern storage standards) However, when you start to include Sega CD, TurboGrafx CD, and Playstation 1 titles on a RetroPie install, the space starts to get eaten up a lot more quickly. Which is a shame, because the Pi can run Sega CD titles pretty well.

I've noticed that some micro SD cards start to have corruption or reading issues when they are larger than 32 GB on the Raspberry Pi. Getting higher quality cards might help, but it is really safer to just stick to 32 GB cards and below. Those size cards are listed as being fully compatible, and I've never had issues with them. All of this is for the Pi 3 and below. I haven't acquired a Pi 4 yet, so I don't have any experience with card support for it. It could be that it handles larger cards better, I don't know.

Yes, for the majority of retro games, anything north of 16 GB should suffice. In fact, as long as you aren't shifting into optical-media games, 8 GB and below will be sufficient. It's only when you start getting into CD games that you start to require a bit more storage space. The majority of legacy console and arcade titles didn't actually take up all that much room in terms of data storage. (especially by modern storage standards) However, when you start to include Sega CD, TurboGrafx CD, and Playstation 1 titles on a RetroPie install, the space starts to get eaten up a lot more quickly. Which is a shame, because the Pi can run Sega CD titles pretty well.

I've noticed that some micro SD cards start to have corruption or reading issues when they are larger than 32 GB on the Raspberry Pi. Getting higher quality cards might help, but it is really safer to just stick to 32 GB cards and below. Those size cards are listed as being fully compatible, and I've never had issues with them. All of this is for the Pi 3 and below. I haven't acquired a Pi 4 yet, so I don't have any experience with card support for it. It could be that it handles larger cards better, I don't know.
There is a list somewhere for Raspberry PI 3, I saw it but can't recall where that has a list of compatible SD cards with no issues. Some 64GB ones are on it (I know mine was, and it was one I already had or probably would have gone with a 32GB). But the 64GB ones on the list is not extensive, and I don't think any 128 or 256 GB were on it at all. 32GB is indeed a sweet spot unless you want to do some homework.

Seems like the concensous for AIU images is Wolfanoz AIU Arcade 5:4. But I also see a Wolfanoz/Hurtsy AIU Arcade 5:4 Collab. Any recommendations between the 2? 

I would recommend getting a 4Gb or 8Gb SD card and putting all of your roms on USB and playing them off USB. It's easier to edit the games on a USB stick than from the SD card because you can do it from your PC without having to setup the pi on a network. And if you mess up your image, you can just reimage a really small SD card and once you have it up and running how you want, you can back it up and it only takes up 4 or 8gb of space instead of a ton of space.

I would recommend getting a 4Gb or 8Gb SD card and putting all of your roms on USB and playing them off USB.
This is a fantastic suggestion. Back in 2016 the ability to access and run ROMs off of USB thumb drives was added to the standard Retro Pi installation. It is well worth taking advantage of this feature. USB thumb drives tend to be a lot more stable, especially for larger sizes. And standard USB 2.0 thumb drives are a dime a dozen these days. A 128 GB thumb drive can be had for peanuts, and will provide an obscene amount of storage for a Retro Pi setup. Don't bother trying to use a USB 3.0 thumb drive, as earlier Pi models don't take advantage of USB 3.0. I think the new Pi 4 does have USB 3.0, so that is an option if you have one.

A more modest micro SD card paired with a healthy sized USB thumb drive is a great approach.

This is a fantastic suggestion. Back in 2016 the ability to access and run ROMs off of USB thumb drives was added to the standard Retro Pi installation. It is well worth taking advantage of this feature. USB thumb drives tend to be a lot more stable, especially for larger sizes. And standard USB 2.0 thumb drives are a dime a dozen these days. A 128 GB thumb drive can be had for peanuts, and will provide an obscene amount of storage for a Retro Pi setup. Don't bother trying to use a USB 3.0 thumb drive, as earlier Pi models don't take advantage of USB 3.0. I think the new Pi 4 does have USB 3.0, so that is an option if you have one.

A more modest micro SD card paired with a healthy sized USB thumb drive is a great approach.
My current RetroPi that I have hooked to my TV is running off a 128gb SD card with roms on it.

However with working on my pi2jamma stuff all of the images they have recommend barebones OS on the SD card and games on the ROM. Then they just put out a RetroPie version for pi2jamma so I played with it. That is when I realized this was even a possibility.

It's very easy to do.

All you do is make an empty folder "retropie-mount" on your USB stick. Put it in the RetroPie while it's on. Wait a few seconds because it writes some folders to the directory, then take it out. When you plug it into your PC, you will see the same structure of rom folders you see on the SD card if you are doing it via local network. And you just drag/drop stuff into the corresponding folders.

Scroll down to "Automatic Mount" section here:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive

Final fight for $150 is a solid price. That’s a cabinet that’s worth keeping as is and not modding.
Definitely. I passed on a $150 clearance FF cabinet recently because I had been buying up the $75 ones — and I regretted it when it sold out. Glad to get another chance.

Final fight for $150 is a solid price. That’s a cabinet that’s worth keeping as is and not modding.
I felt the same at first, but now I barely even turn it on. It sounds stupid but I think because I DID NOT pay full price for it, I don't respect it as I would say the tmnt or Star wars cabs

Just looked at brickseek looks like a store in my area had the Final Fight machine on clearance for $75 but they are out of stock now.

I am currently having an internal debate with myself on if I should wait and try my luck on Black Friday for $150 or just get it now for $199. As a CAG I feel compelled to save that money, but I also know it will be a nightmare going into a WalMart on Black Friday or more likely Thanksgiving. I'd imagine these will sell out fast at this price. I also agree on how this cabinet is very nice, Final Fight is one of my all time favorite arcade cabinets too so definitely towards the top of my list on these Arcade 1Up cabs.

I am currently having an internal debate with myself on if I should wait and try my luck on Black Friday for $150 or just get it now for $199. As a CAG I feel compelled to save that money, but I also know it will be a nightmare going into a WalMart on Black Friday or more likely Thanksgiving. I'd imagine these will sell out fast at this price. I also agree on how this cabinet is very nice, Final Fight is one of my all time favorite arcade cabinets too so definitely towards the top of my list on these Arcade 1Up cabs.
What’s the return window? Buy now and don’t open it. Better yet, if you can do an in store pickup, buy now and don’t pickup until you have to. Keep unopened.

What’s the return window? Buy now and don’t open it. Better yet, if you can do an in store pickup, buy now and don’t pickup until you have to. Keep unopened.
I've thought about doing something like this, but the idea of potentially having to go into Wal-Mart a second time and wait in one of the awful customer service lines makes me not want to mess with it. I think I am just going to try my luck when it is on sale and roll the dice. According to Brickseek about every Wal-Mart near me which there are like 4 fairly close have 6+ Final Fights.

bread's done
Back