The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Wal-Mart finally dropped an Arcade 1up to $75...sadly it's the Space Invaders/Color cabinet. If it were Pac-Mac I would have considered it. Anyone here pick up Space Invaders with some feedback?

My local Wal-Mart finally dropped an Arcade 1up to $75...sadly it's the Space Invaders/Color cabinet. If it were Pac-Mac I would have considered it. Anyone here pick up Space Invaders with some feedback?
It'll be awesome, for modding into a Space Invaders Extreme machine...

at least that's what I keep telling myself, should I ever find one cheap.

No actual idea if that would work, lol.

Where at?

Honestly, for modding purposes and even for spare parts, I’d pick up any $75 clearance cabinet.

Did you find that price on brickseek or did you actually see it in the store? Reason I am asking, I went to a Wal-Mart after seeing the price drop to 75 for a Space Invaders on brickseek and the Walmart app for this one store, went there, they didn't have them on the shelf but had several in the back. Got a guy to bring one out and it wouldn't ring up because they had been tagged defective and were going to be shipped back. Got the manager over and he couldn't ring it up because of the way it was in the system. Shame, they wanted to sell them but could not actually do it.

Did you find that price on brickseek or did you actually see it in the store? Reason I am asking, I went to a Wal-Mart after seeing the price drop to 75 for a Space Invaders on brickseek and the Walmart app for this one store, went there, they didn't have them on the shelf but had several in the back. Got a guy to bring one out and it wouldn't ring up because they had been tagged defective and were going to be shipped back. Got the manager over and he couldn't ring it up because of the way it was in the system. Shame, they wanted to sell them but could not actually do it.
It's tagged at $75 in-store; there's a few of them there. I didn't pick it up because I have 6 at the moment and it seemed like overkill for the two very simplistic games it offers.

It's tagged at $75 in-store; there's a few of them there. I didn't pick it up because I have 6 at the moment and it seemed like overkill for the two very simplistic games it offers.

Every clearance cab I’ve ever come across was not at all labeled in the store. That would be a first for me.

I bought space invaders this morning to mod with an rpie I already have. Got buttons and sticks and a controller and everything. I think all I need is that hdmi converter.

Looks like "most" Wal-Mart's by me have lowered the Final Fight one to $100.  Only a few actually have it in stock, but brickseek is listing it as $100 at almost all of them and the Walmart app confirmed one in stock at that price (didn't check the others that had it in stock because I didn't want to be tempted to pick one up).

I've got an old Raspberry Pi 3 laying around.

Can I get any Arcade1up cabinet and mod it?

Or is there a specific one I should be looking for

Been trying to figure this out also. I think any will work, but some have speakers in different places or may require a different hdmi converter?

I bought space invaders this morning to mod with an rpie I already have. Got buttons and sticks and a controller and everything. I think all I need is that hdmi converter.
If I bought one, it would be for the same reason and like you I already have a retropi setup, sticks/buttons/usb-converter, and would just need the hdmi converter. I'd probably need a power switch just to turn it all off when I'm done.

Looks like "most" Wal-Mart's by me have lowered the Final Fight one to $100. Only a few actually have it in stock, but brickseek is listing it as $100 at almost all of them and the Walmart app confirmed one in stock at that price (didn't check the others that had it in stock because I didn't want to be tempted to pick one up).
must not look at brickseek, must not look at brickseek.... I looked, no one around me has them at that price, which is good as I should be saving at the moment....

ANY.

The biggest difference in the cabinet you pick is the artwork, the control panel, and the monitor.

If fully gutting, decide based on artwork. If you wanna reuse the monitor, decide based on artwork and monitor.

If you don’t want to drill holes for new controls, decide based on control panel. That’s why a lot of people love the street fighter for modding since it’s all set up for 2 players.

Edit: I’ve modded a Galaga (complete got job, kept only the cabinet itself) and a pacman (replaced control panel with new control panel but matched the pacman design).

ANY.

The biggest difference in the cabinet you pick is the artwork, the control panel, and the monitor.

If fully gutting, decide based on artwork. If you wanna reuse the monitor, decide based on artwork and monitor.

If you don’t want to drill holes for new controls, decide based on control panel. That’s why a lot of people love the street fighter for modding since it’s all set up for 2 players.

Edit: I’ve modded a Galaga (complete got job, kept only the cabinet itself) and a pacman (replaced control panel with new control panel but matched the pacman design).
Did this with the space invaders I got for $75. Still slightly incomplete as I need to design a 2 player variant of the artwork and then order a new CP, but it has a PC and loaded with nothing but vertical shmups and other vertical games! Planning for a 2 player 4 button CP layout. Too bad the viewing angles aren't the greatest.

Did this with the space invaders I got for $75. Still slightly incomplete as I need to design a 2 player variant of the artwork and then order a new CP, but it has a PC and loaded with nothing but vertical shmups and other vertical games! Planning for a 2 player 4 button CP layout. Too bad the viewing angles aren't the greatest.
Did you check out diyretroarcade.com ? Awesome site. Ordered both my panels from them.

Yeha I definitely plan on getting the cp from them. I'll get the plain one and paint it black and put the plexi overlay on. I do have a cricut machine I could probably stick some space invaders vinyl to as well.

The Final Fight cabinet might be the first one I finally pick up. All the immediate Walmarts to me have it at $199.99 right now so I'm not sure how long I should wait before I pull the trigger. Either way I guess I'll be watching it closer knowing other stores in area have dropped it to $99.

We really want to pick up a Galaga cab, anyone ever see these clearance? I've only seen a Centipede showing $75 online anywhere close to where I've been.

Welp I have found my 4th and (hopefully) final arcade cabinet.

WjiWDMx.jpg

The left gun isn't working and the right one is cracked, but I'm getting (what I think) a very good deal on it.  It's less than the retail TMNT A1up is. 

Worst case with the gun that doesn't work is a chip on the JAMMA board is messed up, and the worst case is that I'd have to buy a whole new board.  However people can replace the chip on the board too but I can't as it's an IC chip.  Best case is it's just a lose wire or something like a burnt out board.  

And the cracked gun isn't a big deal.  I may be getting some casings from this one guy for $25 anyways so they will be brand new.

I plan on putting a switcher in there with 5-6 light gun games.  The first thing I'm doing though is getting the kit to convert it to an Area 51/Max Force combo board.

We really want to pick up a Galaga cab, anyone ever see these clearance? I've only seen a Centipede showing $75 online anywhere close to where I've been.
I got a Galaga w/ riser for $139 at TJ Max a month ago. Look back around fathers day. I also saw Pacman and Golden Tee but thsoe got bought for $199 price

Ended up getting this way quicker than expected lol. Went this morning with my moms van and just had some buddies help me get it out of the van and into my house.  Will be a little bit before I move it into my basement.

Mfb0Zck.jpg

Picked up a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cab for $175 at Walmart in Canyon, TX. I think that's a pretty good deal considering they come with custom risers. Walmart seems to have massively overstocked these. They had 8 more of them there along with one Galaxian and one Marvel cab at full price. All the other stores here in Amarillo show 6+ stock on Brickseek. 

Picked up a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cab for $175 at Walmart in Canyon, TX. I think that's a pretty good deal considering they come with custom risers. Walmart seems to have massively overstocked these. They had 8 more of them there along with one Galaxian and one Marvel cab at full price. All the other stores here in Amarillo show 6+ stock on Brickseek.
I'd probably bite at that price. $199 was the lowest it ever got around me. Probably worth it at that price, but I waited for a bigger drop, which never came. All cabinets are back to full retail once we got out of the holiday season, except a $75 Centipede, which wasn't at the store. Just as well, as I don't have much space for this - room for one or two more cabinets, tops.

I'm pretty sure my closest store only has one and it's still sitting at $400.

A Walmart a little over an hour from me showed they had a Rampage cabinet for $199. I couldn't find one anywhere else. The wife stopped by there for me the other day after work and of course, not there. They said all of the Arcade 1Up units they had were on the floor and all they had were a few MK ones and I think TMNT ones.

That’s a great price. All the stores by me have a few of them and all at full price.

I feel like a boss. I just fixed the broken gun on my Maximum Force cabinet.

I opened it up and it was clear what was wrong - the wire wasn't plugged into the PCB inside the gun.

So I plugged it in, and then when I fired I saw the screen flash but it wasn't registering. It was like just blinking like you are shooting off screen, but it wasn't making sounds like gun firing or anything.

So I opened it back up and saw one of the 2 pins connecting the infrared light to the PCB had become desoldered. So I busted out the soldering iron and soldered it. Put it all back together and now the broken gun is working perfectly. I do want to get a new trigger spring though or microswitch, because you have to pull the trigger almost all the way to get it to register. The other gun is a lot more lenient which I like.

So I got a fully working Maximum Force cab that is like an A- as far as cosmetics go, for $300. Can't complain about that.

(Sorry for the off topic arcade cab talk, but again, this thread is the reason I got it)

Last weekend a store had TMNT for $299 and then went back up full price. I hope they drop price again maybe this week (because of Presidents day) but doubt it.

I feel like a boss. I just fixed the broken gun on my Maximum Force cabinet.

I opened it up and it was clear what was wrong - the wire wasn't plugged into the PCB inside the gun.

So I plugged it in, and then when I fired I saw the screen flash but it wasn't registering. It was like just blinking like you are shooting off screen, but it wasn't making sounds like gun firing or anything.

So I opened it back up and saw one of the 2 pins connecting the infrared light to the PCB had become desoldered. So I busted out the soldering iron and soldered it. Put it all back together and now the broken gun is working perfectly. I do want to get a new trigger spring though or microswitch, because you have to pull the trigger almost all the way to get it to register. The other gun is a lot more lenient which I like.

So I got a fully working Maximum Force cab that is like an A- as far as cosmetics go, for $300. Can't complain about that.

(Sorry for the off topic arcade cab talk, but again, this thread is the reason I got it)
Sure pays to know what you're doing. I doubt you would have gotten that price if it was working perfectly. Don't worry about being off topic - anything to do with arcade cabnets, real or reproductions, is fair game. I learned about Quarter Arcade through these posts, which are a potential alternative for 1up, especially with my limited space. Next time they're on sale, I'm getting one.

Last weekend a store had TMNT for $299 and then went back up full price. I hope they drop price again maybe this week (because of Presidents day) but doubt it.
It might drop when the new cabinets, like Golden Axe and NBA Jam, come out, though Pac-Man, Galaga, and Rampage have not dropped, outside of a few individual stores, despite having been out for a long time.

Sure pays to know what you're doing. I doubt you would have gotten that price if it was working perfectly. Don't worry about being off topic - anything to do with arcade cabnets, real or reproductions, is fair game. I learned about Quarter Arcade through these posts, which are a potential alternative for 1up, especially with my limited space. Next time they're on sale, I'm getting one.
Well I didn't know what I was doing before I got it though lol. It's my first time ever messing with one of these. I just like tinkering with stuff and to be honest, arcade cabinets really don't have much to them at all. If you know how to build a PC, you can easily do this kind of stuff with arcade games. It's just one big "computer" for the most part.

They were asking $385 for it but I asked if they would take $300 and they said yep. They also had another Maximum Force for $435 where both guns just needed to be calibrated. The risk with that is it could be something as simple as going into the test menu and recalibrating them, but it could also be a bad board in the guns. No telling without being able to mess with it. But that cabinet wasn't in as good as shape as the one I got, which was why I decided to get that one.

Generally speaking though, Maximum Force cabinets fully working go for like $400 - $600, just depending on the condition of em, the timing, converted vs. original, etc. So yeah I did get a good deal on it. The company that sold it to me was glad to hear I fixed it so easily. They are in the business of just buying and selling stuff so they don't fixup anything.

Finally in the process of ordering parts to mod my Asteroids unit. Found a Pi 3b+ at a discount on eBay, next up is the Buttons/Sticks and figuring out what panel to have made.

Finally in the process of ordering parts to mod my Asteroids unit. Found a Pi 3b+ at a discount on eBay, next up is the Buttons/Sticks and figuring out what panel to have made.
Is there a good go-to guide anywhere for how to wire up proper power and volume control buttons? Seems to be an extremely glossed over aspect of this whole mod process. Definitely not counting on kids or visitors to press start and navigate through emulation station options to power down every time.

Is there a good go-to guide anywhere for how to wire up proper power and volume control buttons? Seems to be an extremely glossed over aspect of this whole mod process. Definitely not counting on kids or visitors to press start and navigate through emulation station options to power down every time.
Was curious on this as well. I had seen people recommending audio amps (Along with them popping up in related items on Amazon when looking at parts). But haven't seen much either as detailed as the rest

The "safe shutdown" isn't the easiest thing to accomplish, given you have to have a way to run a script, then power down in a way that you can restore power to bring it back up next time. Which means you can't just cut power to the mainboard. One thing you might do is get one of those RetroFlag Pi cases that include the board and script for doing all that correctly and Frankenstein it into you cabinet if you know something about electronics.

Or, the simplest solution is to just clone your setup on another SD Card. Then if anything happens just replace it and re-flash the previous one. Powering down is just going to happen when you have guests and kids using it. Once you get your cabinet set up, you really aren't writing a whole lot of data to the card (which is the biggest concern for loss of power, cached data not being written out completely). Try to use shutdown yourself, and just grin and bear it when guests just flip the power knowing you can just swap a card and be done if anything bad happens.

I just realized this year that there's an uncensored option; the giant terror teddy boss was originally a giant grotesque zombie baby.
Yep I had 2 machines I'd play semi regularly and one had the baby. I wish I could remember which. One was an arcade at an amusement park and the other a pizza restaurant. Neither seem child appropriate haha.

The "safe shutdown" isn't the easiest thing to accomplish, given you have to have a way to run a script, then power down in a way that you can restore power to bring it back up next time. Which means you can't just cut power to the mainboard. One thing you might do is get one of those RetroFlag Pi cases that include the board and script for doing all that correctly and Frankenstein it into you cabinet if you know something about electronics.

Or, the simplest solution is to just clone your setup on another SD Card. Then if anything happens just replace it and re-flash the previous one. Powering down is just going to happen when you have guests and kids using it. Once you get your cabinet set up, you really aren't writing a whole lot of data to the card (which is the biggest concern for loss of power, cached data not being written out completely). Try to use shutdown yourself, and just grin and bear it when guests just flip the power knowing you can just swap a card and be done if anything bad happens.
Creating a sd card backup for any rpi project goes without saying since it's so easy to mess things up. For this though, I think that's a pretty bogus workaround. With all the creative modding things people have been coming up with and businesses like diyretro seizing aftermarket opportunities in this space, it amazes me that there is not one good, slightly finessed, simple solution out there that is at least as good as what a stock A1up unit offers. The amount of money people are sinking into these in terms of mods only to be complemented by a finishing touch of powerdown via "yank plug out of wall" and adjust volume via "amp velcrowed to H panel" absolutely bewilders me.

Creating a sd card backup for any rpi project goes without saying since it's so easy to mess things up. For this though, I think that's a pretty bogus workaround. With all the creative modding things people have been coming up with and businesses like diyretro seizing aftermarket opportunities in this space, it amazes me that there is not one good, slightly finessed, simple solution out there that is at least as good as what a stock A1up unit offers. The amount of money people are sinking into these in terms of mods only to be complemented by a finishing touch of powerdown via "yank plug out of wall" and adjust volume via "amp velcrowed to H panel" absolutely bewilders me.
There are good solutions, just not many "plug and play I don't know much about coding and electronics" solutions. Like I said, get one of those RetroFlag Pi cases, then cannibalize the innards and rewire the power switch on it to the Arcade1Up power switch. I use them when I make mini consoles for people because of the shutdown mechanics on them. They have a SNES, NES and Genesis model (the Gameboy version only works with Pi Zero). They have easily installed scripts, plugs to the GPIO and it works great. It will take some soldering though, but you can use it as a mount if you want, just leave the top off so you can access the power switch for your mod. If I were modding an A1Up, that's what I would do.

And a backup is a necessary thing to do (as you say), but you gotta remember safe shutdown is really only a big deal if you are writing data to the SD, which isn't often once you get it set up. Most often that will only result in you losing a recent save state or something and then only very rarely. The backup is really only a last resort thing.

bread's done
Back