The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Arcade 1up has made the Golden Axe machine available for pre-order. Kind of wish it wasn't a site exclusive, but still tempted based on the games on the machine.
I thought for sure I was going to order it, but haven't yet. Part of that may be the surprise appearance of Super Pac-Man. The main appeal to most of these for me is having a replica of arcade cabs that carry some nostalgia. This one has none since I've never seen a GAII cab. I am not even sure I ever played Golden Axe in an arcade. And Altered Beast is.... I guess a game? The Wrestling game is just an oddball choice.

I like the games on this cab. That’s a cab I wouldn’t even want to mod.
Don't get me wrong, I like the games. I just have them all on other cabs, so not going to plunk money down on this for the same games without the arcade form factors.

I thought for sure I was going to order it, but haven't yet. Part of that may be the surprise appearance of Super Pac-Man. The main appeal to most of these for me is having a replica of arcade cabs that carry some nostalgia. This one has none since I've never seen a GAII cab. I am not even sure I ever played Golden Axe in an arcade. And Altered Beast is.... I guess a game? The Wrestling game is just an oddball choice.
I like all the games, although not super familiar with the wrestling one. I particularly like the variety of games included, so even if I don't have a strong arcade nostalgia for any of these, I can see enjoying the cab. I know I'm an outlier, but I've always had fun with Altered Beast.

Saw this at the local Target:

207-17-8536 for Galaga

207-17-8697 for Pac Man

[attachment=34646:galaga.jpg]

[attachment=34647:pac1.jpg]

Saw this at the local Target:

207-17-8536 for Galaga

207-17-8697 for Pac Man

attachicon.gif
galaga.jpg

attachicon.gif
pac1.jpg
Thanks for the tip. My local Targets seem to have both in stock and they are on sale according to BrickSeek. Now I wonder if it is worth getting the Galaga model for modding purposes.

Thanks for the tip. My local Targets seem to have both in stock and they are on sale according to BrickSeek. Now I wonder if it is worth getting the Galaga model for modding purposes.
My store had a few of each so I'll wait for another drop.

People are modding these units too?

If you're keeping your expectations low, a Pi mod can be very cheap. The Pi Zero W is a Pi model that runs just $10, around $20 if you get a version with a few extra accessories. (how they're frequently sold on Amazon) It doesn't get much cheaper than that for a mini-computer. But you do have to dial down your expectations where power is concerned. The Pi Zero W is beefier than a Pi 2, but not as powerful as a Pi 3, and far less powerful than the latest Pi 4. If you're looking to enjoy some classic arcade titles via MAME, a Pi Zero W will do you just fine. Ditto for most 8-bit and even 16-bit console titles. But if you want to bump up into the 32-bit era, the Pi Zero W will start to choke, and you won't be able to get the consistent frame-rates you would want.

The Pi 4 is the one to beat for sheer muscle. But that one will set you back close to $50 for a bare board (assuming you go for minimum 2GB RAM, which you should), and close to $70 if you get a bundle with accessories. The Pi 4 is also notorious for running hot, so some sort of cooling and external case is a must-have for it. That extra expense does get you a lot though. I've run full-speed Dreamcast emulation using Lakka on my Pi 4, with some very impressive results. It handles Playstation 1 titles without breaking a sweat. A Pi 4 for modding will get you a broader selection of titles, for a more substantial price.

If you're looking to mod some manner of uber-box, that plays everything, spend a little extra and get a Pi 4. If you mainly just want a classic arcade machine, stick to the Pi Zero W.

Ya. Here's a video of one of the mod's using a raspberry pi but it's not cheap. Looking at possibly $50-75 investment to mod. I might bite too if they drop lower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi48fAZQPYQ
Coincidentally, it looks like Target has Pi 3B+ starter kits on clearance for $40 at some of their stores:

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=207-06-4023

I did a quick check and some of my local Targets have both the Cades and 3B+ kits on sale. I'm going to have to make a trip after work.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pac Man, I knew these were probably going clearance soon, my 4 year old loves Pac Man and missed out on the ones at Walmart, so he'll love this. Just picked one up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My store had a few of each so I'll wait for another drop.

People are modding these units too?
Modded my Dig Dug and loaned it to my mother at the start of the COVID stuff. The only thing to remember, other than it being cramped, is ensuring you flip the screen 90 degrees / have a vertical arcade setup. It's cramped inside so I attached the 4 plug power strip to the back so it's portable and ready to go..

I hope I can get one of those Street Fighter boys for a friend that wanted one on the cheap as a gift.
Well just my luck one of the stores near me went from limited quantities to having 2 to 3 in stock: I struck out at the first limited quantities store so going to head out to the in stock boy when it opens.

Modding my SF2 cab was the best decision I could've ever made. Being able to play almost every one of my favorite arcade games at will has been an absolute blast. If they ever release a light gun cabinet, I'll definitely pick it up for a lot of the rest I still can't do on the standard cab.

Games I wish would run on my 4GB pi 4, but don't:

Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Blitz (any arcade version)
Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy

Modding my SF2 cab was the best decision I could've ever made. Being able to play almost every one of my favorite arcade games at will has been an absolute blast. If they ever release a light gun cabinet, I'll definitely pick it up for a lot of the rest I still can't do on the standard cab.

Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Does the Dreamcast version of blitz work on the pi4?

Does the Dreamcast version of blitz work on the pi4?
It should, but it’s just not the same.

I have the blitz arcade versions on my pc arcade build. Honestly, I’d much rather have those than the Dreamcast version- it keeps that arcade feel going.

Ya. Here's a video of one of the mod's using a raspberry pi but it's not cheap. Looking at possibly $50-75 investment to mod. I might bite too if they drop lower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi48fAZQPYQ
am I missing it? Video didn't really seem to show the end product, like I know he did something but what actually did he do besides new speaker, and change buttons?

Better yet, are these $100 countercades worthy? I mean I want a 2 player system but hey if I could at least play all the 2 button games that would be cool too, ala nes era games like kung-fu, contra, ect, ect.

please advise

If you're keeping your expectations low, a Pi mod can be very cheap. The Pi Zero W is a Pi model that runs just $10, around $20 if you get a version with a few extra accessories. (how they're frequently sold on Amazon) It doesn't get much cheaper than that for a mini-computer. But you do have to dial down your expectations where power is concerned. The Pi Zero W is beefier than a Pi 2, but not as powerful as a Pi 3, and far less powerful than the latest Pi 4. If you're looking to enjoy some classic arcade titles via MAME, a Pi Zero W will do you just fine. Ditto for most 8-bit and even 16-bit console titles. But if you want to bump up into the 32-bit era, the Pi Zero W will start to choke, and you won't be able to get the consistent frame-rates you would want.

The Pi 4 is the one to beat for sheer muscle. But that one will set you back close to $50 for a bare board (assuming you go for minimum 2GB RAM, which you should), and close to $70 if you get a bundle with accessories. The Pi 4 is also notorious for running hot, so some sort of cooling and external case is a must-have for it. That extra expense does get you a lot though. I've run full-speed Dreamcast emulation using Lakka on my Pi 4, with some very impressive results. It handles Playstation 1 titles without breaking a sweat. A Pi 4 for modding will get you a broader selection of titles, for a more substantial price.

If you're looking to mod some manner of uber-box, that plays everything, spend a little extra and get a Pi 4. If you mainly just want a classic arcade machine, stick to the Pi Zero W.
So it seems PI 4 is the way to go.. but what are your thoughts on it regarding these clearance pi kits @Target, its a Pi 3 B+ for $40...

Or still go PI 4 ya think?

my dream is to have a MK cab, to relive my youth, grew up playing mk2 and mk3 in the arcades.. 

Whats my best shot at getting an MK cab now?   Ive been checking Walmarts religously for a month or 2 now waitin for price drop, but didn't check the last 2 weeks. 

Now today I go in to my 3 Wal-Marts and every single one is WIPED OUT of MK cabs..   What did I miss? 

Secondly, for the mod scene, one would want a 6 button layout ala SF2 right.. so with that in mind, which of the cabs is the best to get with the hopes of modding it whereas if I somehow can get the MK cab, I would leave as it. 

please advise

Sean P

p.s. Probably a goose chase, but anyone have any input or advise here.  I have a 1hr road trip planned tomorrow to hit up 2 Wal-Marts that have limited stock of the FF cabs.  They have been showing limited stock for several weeks now so I may get ultra lucky.  However to improve my chances of not coming away empty handed would appreciate any pro advise on how navigate this potential find.

So it seems PI 4 is the way to go.. but what are your thoughts on it regarding these clearance pi kits @Target, its a Pi 3 B+ for $40...

Or still go PI 4 ya think?
I’d look up what games they can play. I have an old bar top from years ago running a pi 2b (I think) and then a newer Arcade1up conversion running a 3b+. I don’t have a 4, yet.

The 3 can run most arcade games that I’d want to throw at it, like up to nba jam. For newer 3d arcade games you might jus twang to go with a cheap pc build. I’ve heard some great things about the pi 4, especially with Dreamcast, but I try keeping my builds arcade only.

Edit:

Examples-

pi 3 is currently only running vertical only games, but otherwise ran neo geo and nba jam and such great

Pc build (a cheap ryzen build) runs golden tee (up to 2005), the nba jams, nfl blitz, the awesome nba run n gun games, sega naomi games and sega model 2 and 3 games. Daaaaaytooooonaaaaaaaa (it’s dumb without a wheel but it runs great).

I’d look up what games they can play. I have an old bar top from years ago running a pi 2b (I think) and then a newer Arcade1up conversion running a 3b+. I don’t have a 4, yet.

The 3 can run most arcade games that I’d want to throw at it, like up to nba jam. For newer 3d arcade games you might jus twang to go with a cheap pc build. I’ve heard some great things about the pi 4, especially with Dreamcast, but I try keeping my builds arcade only.

Edit:

Examples-

pi 3 is currently only running vertical only games, but otherwise ran neo geo and nba jam and such great

Pc build (a cheap ryzen build) runs golden tee (up to 2005), the nba jams, nfl blitz, the awesome nba run n gun games, sega naomi games and sega model 2 and 3 games. Daaaaaytooooonaaaaaaaa (it’s dumb without a wheel but it runs great).
RPi 3B+ does have issues with some games running far too slow but a 4 runs them great. Notably ones I noticed include Galaxy Force 2, S.T.U.N. Runner, Bonk Arcade, Light Bringer, Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Some others are a little iffy with weird sound issues on the 3 you can tell are related to performance that the 4 clears up. You can also run Naomi (Dreamcast) and Atomiswave (basically a Naomi) pretty flawlessly with Flycast on it if you overclock it (Redream doesn't do Naomi games, which is what you want if you are doing arcade). Just get a good cooler, which in a cabinet size isn't really an issue so I went with a good sized one. I really don't have a desire to go past Naomi, because the newer arcade stuff is after when arcades were really a thing.

Spend the extra $10 and get a RPi 4 2GB over a 3B+, even in Beta state it handily beats the 3B+.

Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Blitz playstation version works great on pi3b+.

RPi 3B+ does have issues with some games running far too slow but a 4 runs them great. Notably ones I noticed include Galaxy Force 2, S.T.U.N. Runner, Bonk Arcade, Light Bringer, Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Some others are a little iffy with weird sound issues on the 3 you can tell are related to performance that the 4 clears up. You can also run Naomi (Dreamcast) and Atomiswave (basically a Naomi) pretty flawlessly with Flycast on it if you overclock it (Redream doesn't do Naomi games, which is what you want if you are doing arcade). Just get a good cooler, which in a cabinet size isn't really an issue so I went with a good sized one. I really don't have a desire to go past Naomi, because the newer arcade stuff is after when arcades were really a thing.

Spend the extra $10 and get a RPi 4 2GB over a 3B+, even in Beta state it handily beats the 3B+.
I’m definitely picking up a 4 eventually. I don’t really have the time to tinker with it and I’m in no rush, so by the time I can get one it’ll be greatly improved on the software side. I’ve heard nothing but great things. I’d love to not have a pc in the one cabinet and only use a pi in each. Some day.

ok, so pi 4 over any other pi, got it!  Now how about the countercades?   Pass or buy? 

Specifically the Pacman one for $99. 

Are they worth it, how moddable are they?  I looked on YouTube but didn't see much about these and mods.. 

p.s. Probably a goose chase, but anyone have any input or advise here. I have a 1hr road trip planned tomorrow to hit up 2 Wal-Marts that have limited stock of the FF cabs. They have been showing limited stock for several weeks now so I may get ultra lucky. However to improve my chances of not coming away empty handed would appreciate any pro advise on how navigate this potential find.
Just a heads up. Limited stock at Walmart means no stock 95% of the time. Just be prepared to be disappointed.

Just a heads up. Limited stock at Walmart means no stock 95% of the time. Just be prepared to be disappointed.
unfortunately that has been my experience 99.99999% of the time but was hping with all my heart that this could be the .000001% chance its not, extremely doubtful since these are limited stock now for months...

Its an hour drive or so, but I have planned it in a circular route to more or less bring me close to home so hoping to also maybe come away with a $299 or even better, $200 MK cab...

WISH ME LUCK

as expected, my 2hr drive to find the FF cab was all for naught, I had nothing. 

What was unexpected was 3/3 Walmarts were WIPED OUT in terms of Arcade1up cabs, except for one store in the hood that had this lonely guy...

[attachment=34682:Turtle Cab.jpg]

If anything, this made me NOT want the turtles cab,.. Not sure if its cuz its not on a riser or anything but wow, this thing looked comically TINY..  Or maybe its because I recently played on the real full size arcade cabinet a few months ago... 

May I ask for those that have it or plan on getting it, what is the attraction?  What makes you guys want this one? 

What was unexpected was 3/3 Walmarts were WIPED OUT in terms of Arcade1up cabs, except for one store in the hood that had this lonely guy...

attachicon.gif
Turtle Cab.jpg

If anything, this made me NOT want the turtles cab,.. Not sure if its cuz its not on a riser or anything but wow, this thing looked comically TINY.. Or maybe its because I recently played on the real full size arcade cabinet a few months ago...

May I ask for those that have it or plan on getting it, what is the attraction? What makes you guys want this one?
Is that the first time you've seen one in person?

They are ALL that tiny.

Is that the first time you've seen one in person?

They are ALL that tiny.
no, but they were always on the risers or at the very least the bottom shelf of the walmart stores..

This is definitely the 1st time I saw one barebones, no riser and jus sitting on the floor...

haha its perfect height for my 4yr old man... crazy1

no, but they were always on the risers or at the very least the bottom shelf of the walmart stores..

This is definitely the 1st time I saw one barebones, no riser and jus sitting on the floor...

Yeah I was pretty interested in one until I saw an SF2 unit at Walmart and saw how little it was. I was interested in it a bit for my 5 year old (4 at the time) to mod for him but the quality of that thing made me pass on it. It was so worn down and as I played with it the artwork on the control panel was wearing away even more.

attachicon.gif
Turtle Cab.jpg

If anything, this made me NOT want the turtles cab,.. Not sure if its cuz its not on a riser or anything but wow, this thing looked comically TINY.. Or maybe its because I recently played on the real full size arcade cabinet a few months ago...

May I ask for those that have it or plan on getting it, what is the attraction? What makes you guys want this one?
I've heard the line that these things are 3/4 the size of the original, but it has to be a lie. I saw a youtube video of the guy with a vintage turtles cab next to this one and it was twice the size.

I got a riser for my first unit...took it off the following week. I'd rather sit than stand.

I've heard the line that these things are 3/4 the size of the original, but it has to be a lie. I saw a youtube video of the guy with a vintage turtles cab next to this one and it was twice the size.
A quick google search puts the original TMNT cab dimensions at 42 x 34 x 72 inches. Those measurements at 3/4ths are about the measurements of the A1U TMNT cab with the riser. So A1U isn't wrong as long as you keep the machines on risers.

At the very least, the control panel and monitor height on the A1U TMNT cab lines up to the original machine. Most of the height lost on the A1U cab was used for the light up marquee on the original.

I like the idea of the new table-based units they're putting out. But the games that will work best on those things will be the games that have been designed specifically for it.

I like the idea of the new table-based units they're putting out. But the games that will work best on those things will be the games that have been designed specifically for it.
I'd like to see more video. Wondering how you pull off a game like Battleship or Scrabble, where each player has info that needs/should be hidden from the other(s) playing.

It's just because when you translate 3/4 into volume it doesn't feel like it's 3/4.

But I believe the measurements are 3/4 the size. Like if you laid all of the pieces of wood that made up the real cabinets and the A1U cabs they would be 3/4 the actual size. But when you put it all together it just feels way smaller.

Like if you ever build model cars as a kid, a lot of those were 1/24 or 1/32 scale models. But that doesn't mean that 24 or 32 of them together would be the size of the real car. It is just the translation of scales into including volume and 3d space is misleading.

I'd like to see more video. Wondering how you pull off a game like Battleship or Scrabble, where each player has info that needs/should be hidden from the other(s) playing.
This is actually a game development challenge I've been looking into for a while. The go-to solution is to allow the players to pair their smartphones or tablets to the table/game, and use the handheld screens for actual control, while information that all players should have shows up on the table screen.

If you design games in this way, specifically for a table like that, you could cook up some really cool stuff. Games like Battleship, Scrabble, Dominoes, Clue, basically any game that requires hiding information would work great. You could also put together a really cool version of D&D RPGs this way. The obvious drawback is that there isn't nearly as large of a market for such a niche product, and local co-op is a bit difficult to market in the current pandemic. Might be a good time to start working on something like this in anticipation of the pandemic ending. (in a year or two)

This is actually a game development challenge I've been looking into for a while. The go-to solution is to allow the players to pair their smartphones or tablets to the table/game, and use the handheld screens for actual control, while information that all players should have shows up on the table screen.

If you design games in this way, specifically for a table like that, you could cook up some really cool stuff. Games like Battleship, Scrabble, Dominoes, Clue, basically any game that requires hiding information would work great. You could also put together a really cool version of D&D RPGs this way. The obvious drawback is that there isn't nearly as large of a market for such a niche product, and local co-op is a bit difficult to market in the current pandemic. Might be a good time to start working on something like this in anticipation of the pandemic ending. (in a year or two)
I think you are overthinking the problem. A basic privacy shield that sits on top of the screen would make it easy to hide content from the competition. So no extra technology or programming needed, just plastic or cardboard privacy piece for each player. It would only need to cover enough area on the screen for whatever info each player needed.

An additional solution for games like battleship where you don't need to really see your pieces after you've set up the game... just make the other person look away while each player takes turns placing their ships.

But the privacy wall/shield/screen type thing would work for more games.

As for size, what do you expect for $300 MSRP. The Countercades are up to $200 themselves.
My apologies if I came across as complaining, I was not. I guess was jus trying to say, that w/o the riser or sitting on the shelf, the cabs come across as very tiny, and this was the 4 player TMNT cab, so I'm guessing, the 2 player or even the 1 player cabs appear even tinier.

Anyways, is it safe to say, the 1st wave(sf2) h/w wise was a bit lacking right?

How about the Marvels one, if google is correct, that is the 3'rd wave right? Would it be safe to say the ironed out the issues on that one?

I have someone locally willing to sell new in the box, for $400 sans riser tho. I just don't know enough about these to say if its a steal of a deal or if hwy robbery..

Appreciate any thoughts or input.

Also in terms of modding is this more or less desirable, heck the more and more I look it up on YouTube, I wouldn't mind keeping as is for a bit, enjoying it as was intended and then few months down the line, modding it.

bread's done
Back