The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

Just got my shipping notification from HP Small Business as well from the cart hack.

For those of you considering the android build, Alpha 1 has been pretty stable for me. I haven't had the chance to try Alpha 2 yet. It is a dual boot situation so you can also switch to WebOS whenever you want as well.

For those of you not in any hurry, I'd wait for Beta or full release. The install, while not difficult, isn't user friendly either to the average tablet user. If you feel you have some aptitude at these sorts of things, I'd give it a try though.

Is there any way to setup the Touchpad so that I don't have to re-enter login info every time I go to a particular forum.

Wow, my order finally shipped...didn't see that one coming.

Is the Amazon Fire going to be a better option than the Touchpad? At this point I'd be willing to Ebay my Touchpad since the going rate on a 32gb is pretty decent, unless there's a better reason to go with it.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Wow, my order finally shipped...didn't see that one coming.

Is the Amazon Fire going to be a better option than the Touchpad? At this point I'd be willing to Ebay my Touchpad since the going rate on a 32gb is pretty decent, unless there's a better reason to go with it.[/QUOTE]

You're better off keeping the Touchpad. The Fire is nice, but I'm positive the Touchpad is much better. Do your use a lot of Amazon services?

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Wow, my order finally shipped...didn't see that one coming.

Is the Amazon Fire going to be a better option than the Touchpad? At this point I'd be willing to Ebay my Touchpad since the going rate on a 32gb is pretty decent, unless there's a better reason to go with it.[/QUOTE]

Hell no. The fire is no where near the same league. WebOS is pretty good as it is, and if you ever want to try Android the port is coming along very nicely, most of the bugs have been worked out already. I think once Android 4.0 is released it'll really show off the touchpad hardware.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Yes it does. Uberkernel has been updated, and the f4 and f15 kernels are in the alpha and beta feeds.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, both of you guys!

[quote name='kitsunisan']Hell no. The fire is no where near the same league. WebOS is pretty good as it is, and if you ever want to try Android the port is coming along very nicely, most of the bugs have been worked out already. I think once Android 4.0 is released it'll really show off the touchpad hardware.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, sounds like the Touchpad is the better way to go. I would be interested in Android if the port comes out.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Thanks, sounds like the Touchpad is the better way to go. I would be interested in Android if the port comes out.[/QUOTE]

Hit xda and check out the touchpad section, I just dual booted my Touchpad with WebOS and Android using cm 2.1 alpha. Still have a few bugs in it, but it works very well for an alpha build.

Got my third one the other day (dont remember ordering it) but oh well, ill take it. Will be going to my sister as an xmas gift.

I put Cyanogenmod on one of my other ones and now i am dual booting android and webOS. Havent had a chance to really mess with Android but its not too bad so far (im not really a fan of android).

[quote name='shrike4242']Charging and mass-storage access from a PC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Would you happen to know if the update fixed the skype video calling freeze issues? Or any one else can reported anything on that?

installed cm7 alpha2 and ezpdf and wow, id say at least a 2.5x increase in speed. (my primary use is reading)

tinkered with some other stuff and did get some crashing, still, i'm content.

[quote name='Malik112099']Got my third one the other day (dont remember ordering it) but oh well, ill take it. Will be going to my sister as an xmas gift.

I put Cyanogenmod on one of my other ones and now i am dual booting android and webOS. Havent had a chance to really mess with Android but its not too bad so far (im not really a fan of android).[/QUOTE]

i put cyanogen on mine last night and overclocked the webPOS to 1.5Ghz. all were simple steps IMO, and not damaging to the device at all. also, IMO, these are just enhancements that make the device better. what other device can dual boot. EXACTLY.
for example, i was taking some survey spot surveys in android. wanted to watch Supernatural on CWTV.com. (using Dolphin HD browser) it loaded the mobile site for cwtv. it would not let me watch the full episode. so i rebooted into webOS and watched it. i have found uses fro both OS's.

now i need to overclock android to 1.5 it lags a bit, but only really in the marketplace for me.

In all, i have seen purposes for both and i will continue to use both. i have not used a laptop in the last few days. my thoughts could have been all wrong. a good tablet could almost replace a laptop (but never a desktop)

looking for some advice, those that got android running on their TouchPad . How does chrome run on it? I do not like the web browser that comes with webOS. My main complaint is lack of tabs, webOS card browsing sucks

i put cyanogen on mine last night and overclocked the webPOS to 1.5Ghz. all were simple steps IMO, and not damaging to the device at all. also, IMO, these are just enhancements that make the device better. what other device can dual boot. EXACTLY.

Whats the degree of difficulty on putting Android on there at this point. Right now I'm torn between doing it or waiting until it's developed beyond alpha stage. I'm not THE most tech savvy but I put Windows on my old linux-based notebook and I assume this probably isn't nearly as difficult as that.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Whats the degree of difficulty on putting Android on there at this point. Right now I'm torn between doing it or waiting until it's developed beyond alpha stage. I'm not THE most tech savvy but I put Windows on my old linux-based notebook and I assume this probably isn't nearly as difficult as that.[/QUOTE]

All you need to do is put some files in your TouchPad, put a files in a specific place on your PC and us the command prompt to run some commands. It's nothing the average person can't do.

Hopefully the CM android mod goes beyond Alpha to a more stable build. I think I will eventually upgrade to Android. Right now, WebOS is decent for what I use the tablet for (not much really right now) :)

I just upgraded mine to CM today and I love it. I have yet to experience a crash. Using the how-to linked by Strigol was ridiculously easy.

Right now since CM7 is in alpha, ICS Source is out soon, and devs wanting to get working on that, its dual boot in case you need something specific to work stability wise. CM7 does work fine as is, but once CM9 is started on the touchpad i would expect a MUCH more rapid rate of success. Once that happens, we should be able to nuke WebOs off completely and use all that space for whatever we need. Patience tho.

Am I the only one that hates the WebOS browser?

My main reason for switching to Android would be Chrome. (I assume Chrome would be available on Android.)

Actually, in my opinion, the best browser for this thing is Dolphin HD...hands down. It has more "real browser" features than a lot of its counterparts (I've tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc), including stream support, regular tabs, bookmark toolbar, tons of custom settings, etc. I was blown away by how much it felt like a legitimate PC browser.

Those instructions ultimately worked, though I had some "access denied" messages during the novacom/ACMEInstaller part. I didn't realize you absolutely had to put the ACMEInstaller file (not the folder) in the "Palm" novacom folder and start the command prompt that way. Before that I was getting error messages regarding novacom. Also had some issue with permissions but once that was done, it was amazing how quickly it went from there. Most of my apps worked, Slingbox works great! Now the Touchpad feels like an even better deal :)

[quote name='blitz6speed']Right now since CM7 is in alpha, ICS Source is out soon, and devs wanting to get working on that, its dual boot in case you need something specific to work stability wise. CM7 does work fine as is, but once CM9 is started on the touchpad i would expect a MUCH more rapid rate of success. Once that happens, we should be able to nuke WebOs off completely and use all that space for whatever we need. Patience tho.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have never, and still don't, see why I would want android over webOS. Different strokes....I guess.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Interesting. I have never, and still don't, see why I would want android over webOS. Different strokes....I guess.[/QUOTE]Same. I'll end up duel booting it at some point in time, but to get rid of WebOS completely in favor of Android ain't gonna happen.

And I actually like Android.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Actually, in my opinion, the best browser for this thing is Dolphin HD...hands down. It has more "real browser" features than a lot of its counterparts (I've tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc), including stream support, regular tabs, bookmark toolbar, tons of custom settings, etc. I was blown away by how much it felt like a legitimate PC browser.[/QUOTE]

can you provide some details on how to get this installed? I would love another browser option

[quote name='tbassett']can you provide some details on how to get this installed? I would love another browser option[/QUOTE]

You can get it from the Android Marketplace if you have it installed. He's right too, it really works well and feels organic for a tablet. Just wish I could drag all my Firefox bookmarks into it.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Interesting. I have never, and still don't, see why I would want android over webOS. Different strokes....I guess.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way at first but the customization and widgets in Android is AMAZING! The only thing I still love in webOS is the comic viewer and the patched Adobe. I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and I can't wait to get one of these Android phones that are coming out. Even when I Jailbreak, the amount of customization in iOS can't compete.

[quote name='eliter1']I felt the same way at first but the customization and widgets in Android is AMAZING! The only thing I still love in webOS is the comic viewer and the patched Adobe. I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and I can't wait to get one of these Android phones that are coming out. Even when I Jailbreak, the amount of customization in iOS can't compete.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts. webOS is very tablet-friendly, but the lack of apps is what hurts. Android adds SO much more functionality to the Touchpad, that I no longer even remotely desire an iPad. It does everything I want it to do now.

[quote name='blitz6speed']CM7 Alpha 3 is out for the touchpad, it is quite nice.[/QUOTE]

How much HD space is needed for Android? I have yet to do the CM7 stuff. Is it easy? What bugs are in this build?

I haven't been able to find any information on this at all, really, but does anyone here have experience with CM7 Android Touchpad vs a Toshiba Thrive and which the better one may be?

[quote name='doubledown']How much HD space is needed for Android? I have yet to do the CM7 stuff. Is it easy? What bugs are in this build?[/QUOTE]

Android only takes a few gigs, you lose most of the files on the spare storage when installing it. there are LOTS of bugs. But its still 100x better then anything webos offers. Overall most apps work fine and functionality is really great. Just keep in mind that its a beta and you'll enjoy it more. Expecting perfection is non-sense and you shouldnt even consider installing android if you expect everything to work flawlessly, its not going to be that way for a long time.

Wow. Just learned this has sixaxis support and runs N64/PS1 emulators pretty flawlessly. I originally thought I'd use this thing mostly as a portable DVD player, but now I pretty much just got an old school portable game system as well. Can't wait to get mine in a few weeks and toss CM7 and some of my favorite games on it.. awesome

Sorry for the double post, but I got a quick question. Been googling around but can't seem to find a direct answer.

Say you're on CM7, have the sixaxis app installed, and a PS1 emulator / game installed. Say you're trying to play a game with a friend. Is it possible to get two sixaxis (or even wii remotes) running simultaneously and get 2P multiplayer going on a device?

Also, one step further, could you run HDMI to your TV to get multiplayer on the TV? I've been searching around but have no idea if this would work, anyone ever tried it?

The kernel doesnt have hdmi pins connected yet, they dont know if you can do hdmi out for sure or not, although dalingrin the lead dev on the project does have a usb->hdmi adapter and is the guy who does the kernels.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The kernel doesnt have hdmi pins connected yet, they dont know if you can do hdmi out for sure or not, although dalingrin the lead dev on the project does have a usb->hdmi adapter and is the guy who does the kernels.[/QUOTE]
Ahh okay. I was just assuming this has hdmi out, must have got it confused with another tab

Managed to get a 32 GB for $168 using the ebay.ca trick yesterday.

I have a question for current touchpad owners... is the Cyanogen Mod 7 alpha 3 worth the trouble? Or should I just stand pat with WebOS until some form of ICS come out? Thanks.

Okay I made the leap to CM7 which was pretty straightforward. Its remarkably stable! Worst case scenario I get an app is not responding error every now and then. Worth installing cm7 for Netflix alone... not to mentinh the thousands of other apps.

edit: ugh... I spoke too soon. Have to forget/sign on to my WiFi after every restart... Now getting sleep of death. CM7 not quite there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone offer some help with the onlive app? I have my sixaxis set up to work with my roms and emulators on the system. The Onlive games I have say a controller is required, but when I go to set everything up, the controller doesn't come up. Am I doing something wrong?

Then again, it looks like Preware doesn't take up much space. I don't know what to do! I like Android, but that thing must take up tons of space!!!! I have a 16gb.

Anyone have any insight on this other than "remove some apps". Anything other than that. 5 MB here and there is not going to help the way I want it to.

bread's done
Back