The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

ive had CM7 on the touchpad since an hour after release. It runs AMAZING but it also has a lot of bugs. Its purely for giving people something to play with. Do not expect perfection. However, it blows away WebOS, netflix works fine, pandora, etc. Really awesome.

[quote name='blitz6speed']ive had CM7 on the touchpad since an hour after release. It runs AMAZING but it also has a lot of bugs. Its purely for giving people something to play with. Do not expect perfection. However, it blows away WebOS, netflix works fine, pandora, etc. Really awesome.[/QUOTE]

So, Here's a question...Touchpad with CM7 or Kindle fire?

[quote name='Strigol']So, Here's a question...Touchpad with CM7 or Kindle fire?[/QUOTE]

Not even a question, Touchpad with CM7 (it will also be receiving CM9 Ice Cream Sandwhich 100% guarenteed). The hardware in everyway blows away the kindle fire, and the dev support is just astounding.

guys im starting to believe theres something wrong with my touchstone. ive been trying to charge it but it wouldnt stay charging. it would charge for a minute with the battery symbol indicating its charging. after a minute, the battery symbol goes back to normal. i would also have to keep repositioning it because it wont charge even when i properly place it. any help guys? i might just return it because ive been trying to get it to charge. i even took the HP folio case off. does it work with the case? either way, im still having difficulty charging it.

[quote name='david12795']guys im starting to believe theres something wrong with my touchstone. ive been trying to charge it but it wouldnt stay charging. it would charge for a minute with the battery symbol indicating its charging. after a minute, the battery symbol goes back to normal. i would also have to keep repositioning it because it wont charge even when i properly place it. any help guys? i might just return it because ive been trying to get it to charge. i even took the HP folio case off. does it work with the case? either way, im still having difficulty charging it.[/QUOTE]

Did you install android? I think that's one of the "known issues" with it.

[quote name='david12795']guys im starting to believe theres something wrong with my touchstone. ive been trying to charge it but it wouldnt stay charging. it would charge for a minute with the battery symbol indicating its charging. after a minute, the battery symbol goes back to normal. i would also have to keep repositioning it because it wont charge even when i properly place it. any help guys? i might just return it because ive been trying to get it to charge. i even took the HP folio case off. does it work with the case? either way, im still having difficulty charging it.[/QUOTE]

Contact HP. I had a problem with my volume slider and sent it back to them. They got me another unit within 10 days.

[quote name='ooga']Contact HP. I had a problem with my volume slider and sent it back to them. They got me another unit within 10 days.[/QUOTE]

they're still making these? 0_o

I'll rock out with WebOs for a while see how much I like it, but if don't I have no problem putting Android on it.

I already have an Android phone, but I love Android's OS and have way too many apps I'd love to play around with on a tablet, so yeah...

So, is there any way to increase the sensitivity of the touchscreen? I've got the preware patch for this, but it seems like you still need to apply a decent amount of pressure.

While this normally doesn't really matter to me (as I've used the tablet without issue to do, among other things, play Day of the Tentacle), I bought this stylus from Amazon in the hopes that I could use the device for some simple sketching purposes. I'm not that familiar with stylii for tablets/phones, other than they need to be capacitive.

Anyway, got the stylus and excitedly tried to use it with a free sketching program, but it didn't seem to work well - circles looked very....N64 levels of jaggedness, and it wasn't smooth for line work. I also had to press down with more pressure than I'd like; if I rested the stylus on the surface, the tablet won't detect it at all. This ruins a lot of positioning potential, since I have to be directly pressing downward. Additionally, if I rest my hand on the tablet, it detects that input, and then gets really confused.

So I tried to check sensitivity, but there are no options available, and as I'd already installed the preware patch, there didn't seem like anything else I could do, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something somewhere.

You can also read this post as either A) the Touchpad doesn't work well for sketching purposes, and/or B) the Gomadic stylii doesn't get my seal of approval. It has a weird, ah, "collapsible" tip - it's sort of like a bubble, as it's not rigid. Maybe this is the normal for tablet stylii? Seems like an odd choice when I come from using things such as a Nintendo DS stylus.

Anyway, whatever. I'm sending the stylus back (unless there's some way to up the sensitivity). I mean, I was hoping for a bit much (by comparison: a Cintiq from Wacom, which is nothing BUT a digital sketchpad, costs a G or two), but it would have been nice to use it for art purposes.

[quote name='Strell']Anyway, whatever. I'm sending the stylus back (unless there's some way to up the sensitivity). I mean, I was hoping for a bit much (by comparison: a Cintiq from Wacom, which is nothing BUT a digital sketchpad, costs a G or two), but it would have been nice to use it for art purposes.[/QUOTE]

Its probably the stylus more than anything else, though the few cap styli I've used seem to need a break-in period. Use them a bit and you start to get a better response from the tablet

I use an ACASE stylus that was released for the 1st gen ipad, for about $10. I've found it to be pretty sensitive so that you don't have to apply much of any pressure to get the touchscreen to respond. And I personally like the headphone plug as it give you a simple place to store the stylus
http://http://www.amazon.com/Acase-...E6GU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318877392&sr=8-2
I know they have a newer stylus version which has a redesigned tip but I haven't tried that one

On the other hand, I bought some Griffin styli from Frys when they were on sale for $5 a piece. With these I need to always apply pressure to get a response.

[quote name='Strell']So, is there any way to increase the sensitivity of the touchscreen? I've got the preware patch for this, but it seems like you still need to apply a decent amount of pressure.

While this normally doesn't really matter to me (as I've used the tablet without issue to do, among other things, play Day of the Tentacle), I bought this stylus from Amazon in the hopes that I could use the device for some simple sketching purposes. I'm not that familiar with stylii for tablets/phones, other than they need to be capacitive.

Anyway, got the stylus and excitedly tried to use it with a free sketching program, but it didn't seem to work well - circles looked very....N64 levels of jaggedness, and it wasn't smooth for line work. I also had to press down with more pressure than I'd like; if I rested the stylus on the surface, the tablet won't detect it at all. This ruins a lot of positioning potential, since I have to be directly pressing downward. Additionally, if I rest my hand on the tablet, it detects that input, and then gets really confused.

So I tried to check sensitivity, but there are no options available, and as I'd already installed the preware patch, there didn't seem like anything else I could do, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something somewhere.

You can also read this post as either A) the Touchpad doesn't work well for sketching purposes, and/or B) the Gomadic stylii doesn't get my seal of approval. It has a weird, ah, "collapsible" tip - it's sort of like a bubble, as it's not rigid. Maybe this is the normal for tablet stylii? Seems like an odd choice when I come from using things such as a Nintendo DS stylus.

Anyway, whatever. I'm sending the stylus back (unless there's some way to up the sensitivity). I mean, I was hoping for a bit much (by comparison: a Cintiq from Wacom, which is nothing BUT a digital sketchpad, costs a G or two), but it would have been nice to use it for art purposes.[/QUOTE]

Have you installed 3.0.3? I think the touch sensitivity was improved. I personally didn't have any trouble with it before so I have not noticed any difference.

[quote name='Moltres423']does installing android give any good .pdf readers?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried any because I think webOS has a very good one. I have been using it to read papers for school and I think it's very good. Have you tried the one in webOS?

[quote name='eliter1']I haven't tried any because I think webOS has a very good one. I have been using it to read papers for school and I think it's very good. Have you tried the one in webOS?[/QUOTE]

I like the webOS pdf reader, I just can't figure how to bookmark where I was reading. Any suggestions? This may be a dumb question.

[quote name='specialk']I like the webOS pdf reader, I just can't figure how to bookmark where I was reading. Any suggestions? This may be a dumb question.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not. I had not thought about it but there seems to be a patch available if you're willing to install it. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say how good it is.
Adobe with Patch

Edit: Tried it out and it is awesome. You can bookmark pages now! It also gives you the option to display the PDF file in a higher quality which can make quite a difference depending on the file. I give it 2 thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 3.0.4

Wow. For a x.x.x update its awesome. No overclock kernals yet but its lot more responsive. Speed browsing and in most apps is awesome. Keyboard more responsive too.

you can also Bluetooth pair any phone to work with calls.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']The official 3.0.477 is available for download. Downloading as we speak.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Now I need to find out if I can just install it on top of my dual boot set up or if I'll need to start from scratch.

Edit: for those that have android, you just need to reinstall the boot loader and everything should be fine on both ends.

Edit 2: Installed 3.0.4 but I didn't notice any differences since I already had 3.0.3 installed and it seems pretty similar to that. I did install the boot loader for android again and there doesn't seem to be anything in 3.0.4 that affects android.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strigol']so, call my stupid, but will updating to 3.0.4 kill all my preware stuff?[/QUOTE]

STUPID!!! Just kidding. I had the same question.

You can uninstall the patches before you update if you want. You don't have to uninstall Preware though. If you choose to update with the patches still installed, some of them will be disabled. No damage done, but some of the patches will just not work. I chose to leave them on there. Everything works fine but some of the patches aren't working anymore.

The patches should be updated in a week or so to work with the update. Hope that helps!

[quote name='EndAllBeAll']STUPID!!! Just kidding. I had the same question.

You can uninstall the patches before you update if you want. You don't have to uninstall Preware though. If you choose to update with the patches still installed, some of them will be disabled. No damage done, but some of the patches will just not work. I chose to leave them on there. Everything works fine but some of the patches aren't working anymore.

The patches should be updated in a week or so to work with the update. Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

Thx, thats what i was wondering, didn't know if I needed to delete it all before I installed or if it'd be fine to just do the update with everything as it was

And my co-workers 2x 32gb's w/ an order on the 21st are still AWOL :(

I updated to the 3.0.477 and noticed that the tap ripple is back and the UI seems to slightly lag a little. I hope they release updates to the patches that removed/improved those things.

I checked Preware but there aren't any updates for those patches yet.

[quote name='eliter1']I haven't tried any because I think webOS has a very good one. I have been using it to read papers for school and I think it's very good. Have you tried the one in webOS?[/QUOTE]
It is definitely good for reading papers, but I think its pretty difficult to read a whole school book on there! I have two books that are over a thousand pages long- and when I look at them on my pc I can skip to chapters with ease.

On the Web OS I have to scroll through a ton of page numbers to get to it.

I was hoping there was a better alternative with android. =[

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's official.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll have to install it then.

Has everyone been able to update over the web? Or are we back to only using WebOS Doctor like I had to do last time.

[quote name='xycury']Thanks, I'll have to install it then.

Has everyone been able to update over the web? Or are we back to only using WebOS Doctor like I had to do last time.[/QUOTE]

I installed this on my touchpad and my mom's. They're more responsive so definitely download this asap.

[quote name='xycury']Thanks, I'll have to install it then.

Has everyone been able to update over the web? Or are we back to only using WebOS Doctor like I had to do last time.[/QUOTE]

Just run the update app. Worked great for me.

run the update app. If the servers are too busy there will be no response. Just try again later. On my first try they were too busy, but it worked the second time.

Just updated my Android Install from CM7 Alpha to Alpha 2 that was released this morning. Android makes this thing so much nicer.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Just updated my Android Install from CM7 Alpha to Alpha 2 that was released this morning. Android makes this thing so much nicer.[/QUOTE]

maybe so, but till it has full functionality with the touchpad I'll be staying away from it

[quote name='Strigol']maybe so, but till it has full functionality with the touchpad I'll be staying away from it[/QUOTE]

It dual boots to webOS, so its not like I am giving anything up. In fact it didnt touch my webOS isntall at all it is identical to how it was before i installed CM7. The only thing it really lacks is some app compatibility. I was shocked at how well it truly works, and Alpha 2 took less than a week to come out and fixed a ton of issues already.

Quick!!! Not sure about the clipboard app, sometimes I copy and paste weird stuff.

WordBook English Dictionary & Thesaurus
Define. WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language.
Promo code: nbmpx52921wolru

The World Factbook
Study. The World Factbook provides extensive information on more than 250 countries and locations throughout the world.
Promo code: jymjv89346yqyue

Clipboard for webOS
Copy. With Clipboard, every text you copy is stored in a 'clipboard' for you to access later on.
Promo code: zzfbt09312lvvys

WritePad
Paste. Write your documents, notes, memos, status updates and more with the option to save them for later.
Promo code: oomwm33883fksre

I ran the 3.0.4 update last night, but didn't do much with mine. Today, my friend calls me to say that running the update breaks overclocking, etc. Thanks, pal.

As for my stolen one, FedEx washed their hands of it; HP never got back to me and didn't charge me. I've got my Transformer and have a Kindle Fire ordered and got a Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and that makes the Transformer seem pokey. True!

my touchpad automatically installed the update for me, though i was trying to avoid it because i heard someone said you cant install android with that update. either way, im too lazy to do anything with my TP :)

3.0.4 breaks uberkernel, but most of the other preware installs are intact and running.

They'll get around to updating everything soon.

My only issue with the update is now my touchpad has a very slight almost flicker when doing certain transitional movements. I don't like it. Reminds me of a loose inverter cable (hinge cable) on a laptop.

[quote name='JungleRot']since the update I have had problems with internet connectivity.[/QUOTE]

My connects just fine. Maybe you'll have to reset your router.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']My connects just fine. Maybe you'll have to reset your router.[/QUOTE]

Okay I'll do that. I wanted to see if anyone else had problems or it was just me.

Thanks for answering.. :)

Blah to OC gone, that sucks. You can still install CM7 but if you updated and had android you need to reinstall moboot through novacom command line.

bread's done
Back