The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

[quote name='soccerstud652']Are people still able to update to WEBOS 3.0.2? I have 3.0.0 and I hit system update, and it is telling me my touchpad is up to date...[/QUOTE]

i hope so... i wont have my touchpad till monday.

[quote name='Strell']Running ScummVM to play Day of the Tentacle on my Touchpad, which is enough awesome to drown the universe in.[/QUOTE]

Full Throttle is where it's at.

anyone have any luck with the update to 3.0.2? or from now on we all need to use webos doctor to update?? (getting my touchpad on monday hopefully)

Apparently with the new WebOS update you wont be able to install the Cyagen Android. Just a heads up for people that are going to install the WebOS update.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']I had to do a Live Chat with Palm Support to get help with the whole process.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am trying this now.

Edit: The representative explained "This might be an issue with the server. We are going to release 3.0.4 version for Touchpad. Due to this, there might be a server problem."

Rep explained that it will be released in the next few days, and I can use WebOS doctor to update to 3.0.2 today.

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2/common/article/44809_en.html

Touchpad WebOS doctor link:
www.hpwebos.com/rom

Steps:
1. Back up Touchpad (click on "Back UP" app)
2. Shut down Touchpad (hold button on upp right hand and select shut down)
3. Hold power button and volume up button until a large usb icon comes on screen.
4. Download WebOS doctor for Touchpad.
5. Follow WebOS doctor instructions. It should reload the latest OS on the device.

The representative was very helpful. Service is terrific for this device, especially considering it is now abandoned by HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ No prob, and thanks for the info. I didn't think they would make anymore updates, but hopefully it will fix all the freezing and lag.

Enjoying my touchpad for now. If I dont really get much use out of it in the next few weeks I'll sell it

i have to say this it is much faster and more responsive then my rooted nook color

So just fired mine up Im liking it so far. What are the advantages of installing pre-ware? Im guessing access to more apps etc.

[quote name='kube00']So just fired mine up Im liking it so far. What are the advantages of installing pre-ware? Im guessing access to more apps etc.[/QUOTE]

It's for homebrew. It's full of unofficial apps, patches, and tweaks. From my experience I recommend it just for overclocking at the very least.

[quote name='Sk']Youtube runs fine on my touchpad. It even runs well at 1080p/i. Other flash sites run pretty choppy though.[/QUOTE]

Another thing to note is that they're aren't any ads from my experience. I hate ads personally. To each his own.

just a update- got my touchpad today, already comes with webos 3.0.2. but no luck overclocking to 1.9ghz. only 1.5 works so far bc it wont let me add some feeds from preware. so far i like it a lot lol

[quote name='soccerstud652']Where is the WEBOS Doctor and how does it work?[/QUOTE]

FYI, the doctor may or may not work with your PC. Its usually a 50/50 shot for it to work on my computer. Generally, any time I use it I delete the NOVCOM drivers and reinstall them. That seems to work 70% of the time. If that fails I just retry the program till it works. The doctor is really picky.

[quote name='kube00']So just fired mine up Im liking it so far. What are the advantages of installing pre-ware? Im guessing access to more apps etc.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend running stock for a while. Otherwise, you won't know if your issues are native or caused by tweaking.

So far I haven't found performance to be an issue, so see no need for overclocking. The major issue is poor network connectivity. Either it's losing the Wi-Fi signal, or showing a strong signal but getting page load errors in the browser. Meanwhile, my Android phone is surfing away on the same Wi-Fi signal in the same location. Also, it lost audio the other day; it came back after I restarted. Haven't installed anything except 3.0.2.

Quick question.
I always miss out on the HP Touchpad newsletter promotions because I get the emails while at work and by the time I get home all the free apps have been claimed.

Is there anyway to download these from your computer and send them to your touchpad?

I dont bring my touchpad to work and I would really like the chance to download some of these free limited promotional Apps. Thanks

flybrione,

Unfortunately, you have to use the HP App Catalog on your TouchPad to use the promo code for the free apps.

[quote name='The End']I'm sorry to report that they're all dead now.

I managed to get three of the four (missed paratrooper).[/QUOTE]

When did new codes come out? Usually someone posts them here since most of us can't get emails from the mailing list. I don't see anything posted here though, so I didn't even know :cry:

[quote name='The End']I'm sorry to report that they're all dead now.

I managed to get three of the four (missed paratrooper).[/QUOTE]

Missed them again. I wonder how many of these they even make available.

[quote name='mightymek']When did new codes come out? Usually someone posts them here since most of us can't get emails from the mailing list. I don't see anything posted here though, so I didn't even know :cry:[/QUOTE]

I got the email at 2pm and they are all gone by 3:30pm. I have never been able to take advantage of any of the free apps because I'm always at work when I get the email. Its a nice promotion but I would like to know how many of these free apps they even make available.

really wish they'd find a day and time and just send them then every week, the guessing game has alot of us missing out on some decent apps it seems

[quote name='Strigol']really wish they'd find a day and time and just send them then every week, the guessing game has alot of us missing out on some decent apps it seems[/QUOTE]

and then apps will "sell out" in about 4 minutes tops.

WebOS 3.0.3 got leaked and apparently it's faster than on overclocked 3.0.2! I haven't installed it yet but I will do it a little later.

EDIT: Installed 3.0.3 and it is a lot quicker than 3.0.2, I don't know if it's as quick as the overclocked version but it's pretty close. There is also a stock camera app included with this version of webOS. Follow these instructions if anyone is interested http://www.webosbuzz.com/hp-touchpad/2366-webos-leaked-3-0-3-update.html

Posted this on the other TouchPad thread but thought I'd post it here in case no one checks it

WebOS 3.0.3 got leaked and apparently it's faster than on overclocked 3.0.2! I haven't installed it yet but I will do it a little later.

EDIT: Installed 3.0.3 and it is a lot quicker than 3.0.2, I don't know if it's as quick as the overclocked version but it's pretty close. There is also a stock camera app included with this version of webOS. Follow these instructions if anyone is interested http://www.webosbuzz.com/hp-touchpad/2366-webos-leaked-3-0-3-update.html

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Overclocking, Hulu fixed, ad blockers, don't have to keep refreshing a web page to see new stuff.[/QUOTE]

Which patch is this? I couldn't find it in preware.

It did, but they said to not even download it since it's such an Alpha build and there is still A LOT to work out. Mainly, if you DL it get ready for headaches and A LOT of power consumption. But if your willing to help out the Cyanogen team go for it.

Oh their view of an alpha is quite a bit out there. It runs fantastically and I would say the only issue is that it uses quite a bit of power. I have yet to really have any major crashes.

How long is battery life? Cause right now, I can pretty much use my touchpad for a good 8 hours almost non stop (not turning it off or anything) before the battery is at 10%. Whats the battery like on Android? Hows the Marketplace run? Probably only reason I would install is for the market honestly.

Has anyone had problems with the mail program today? Mine is not working at all. It will come up but I can't interact with it.

[quote name='JungleRot']Has anyone had problems with the mail program today? Mine is not working at all. It will come up but I can't interact with it.[/QUOTE]
It's working for me with all 4 accounts I have attached.
Hard reboot doesn't help?

[quote name='Vader582']It's working for me with all 4 accounts I have attached.
Hard reboot doesn't help?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try that now. Thanks for the advice :applause:

[quote name='david12795']can it dual boot? i dont see that mentioned anywhere...i might consider doing it if they have dual boot[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure dual boot is the only way to do it right now. I can't wait to do it as soon as I get home...

[quote name='mcdaking84']so how will updating to the new version work? will I remove it and install?[/QUOTE]

The release thread says that some updates can be updated on top of that version but others will require to reinstall the whole thing.

Eliter's avatar makes me think someone needs to rig up a bluetooth enabled Powerglove for gaming purposes.

First you get de money.
Den you get de powerglove.
Den you get de wemen.

Installed Android on my TouchPad and this runs very good for an "Alpha". I had no trouble whatsoever installing it. I messed around with it for a while and installed a handful of apps and everything went fine. I'll play around with it some more to see how it goes but so far I am happy I got the 32GB version so I can keep a dual boot.

So tempted to install it but I have no idea if I have the novacom drivers and I don't feel like bricking my TP. Ugh, what to do.

The only thing I don't understand is the command prompt thing. Can somebody help me with this? I hate command prompt stuff.

Edit 2: Got it installed. Love the dual boot and netflix rocks!

bread's done
Back