The "KILL STEEN KILL" Kevin Steen Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite what sounds like cynicism in my previous post I am glad to see Richards coming back to ROH. Looking forward to seeing what will happen in the next chapter of his ROH storyline for sure.

Whenever I see Sheamus, I scramble for the remote so I can change the channel.

Yes, that includes animated GIFs online.

A friend of mine brought up Larry Sweeny today and asked me why he hadn't been signed by TNA or WWE yet, not knowing he died over a year ago. He looked heartbroken when I told him...made me feel almost as bad as the day Eddie died, I was the guy that broke the news to my best friend at the time (Eddie was his favorite)

I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes Sheamus these days. He finally hit his stride - now they just need to give him a great feud instead of cobbling up kind of weak feuds that sometimes have good matches.

I admit him doing heel tactics yet being cheered is a weird paradox but its nothing new to pro-wrestling. CM Punk has done it before as a face. As have others. But I guess hating on Triple H's work out buddy is the new cool thing for the IWC to do.

[quote name='kodave']I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes Sheamus these days. He finally hit his stride - now they just need to give him a great feud instead of cobbling up kind of weak feuds that sometimes have good matches.

I admit him doing heel tactics yet being cheered is a weird paradox but its nothing new to pro-wrestling. CM Punk has done it before as a face. As have others. But I guess hating on Triple H's work out buddy is the new cool thing for the IWC to do.[/QUOTE]

You're about 2 years late on the "IWC hating Sheamus", now he's a bland, boring face that not many people like to watch...the IWC basically ignores him these days. Kinda sad when Mark Henry (of all people) makes for a better heel than Sheamus ever has been.

I'm sure Sheamus squashing DB at WM didn't help either. Whenever his music hits I get this disgusting urge to drink until my night becomes a blur.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']You're about 2 years late on the "IWC hating Sheamus", now he's a bland, boring face that not many people like to watch...the IWC basically ignores him these days. Kinda sad when Mark Henry (of all people) makes for a better heel than Sheamus ever has been.

I'm sure Sheamus squashing DB at WM didn't help either. Whenever his music hits I get this disgusting urge to drink until my night becomes a blur.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're really getting at. Mark Henry's last run as a heel and winning the WHC was fantastic for the most part. I don't think its sad that someone the WWE creative team had misused for a decade finally caught a break. Mark is a talented guy and he's shown in on multiple occasions prior to this last push of his. Yeah there have been times where he's been injured or unmotivated and it shows. Same with Big Show who can be awesome or down right terrible depending on where he's at. But the way you try to insult Mark Henry is as if he's fucking Eric Escobar circa 2010 outshining someone. And Sheamus and Mark had a good match a year ago at SummerSlam I believe it was.

The character of Sheamus was largely shit until he went to Smackdown and became a face for no reason over a year ago. Sheamus was booked really poorly as a heel for nearly his whole WWE tenure.

But for the past year, crowds have gotten behind him and he's had some good matches with some people. Unfortunately most were meaningless because they had no direction or purpose. It was just Sheamus coming out, maybe telling one of his Irish folk tales, then kicking someone's ass. And I can see how the largely directionless Sheamus can wear thin on people. Like I said, people seemed to be warming to him but I guess we're on the downward trend of that now.

I know people were up in arms about the WrestleMania match with Daniel Bryan, but you speak of it as if it was Sheamus' fault. You don't think deep down Sheamus wanted to have a good solid match with Bryan after both of them got dumped from the card the year prior? The 18 second match is squarely on the fact WWE's creative team thought that was "creative" while making time for other BS to go down on the card. Why take that out on Sheamus? Especially when he had an awesome match with Daniel Bryan at Extreme Rules.

Unfortunately Sheamus has been stuck feuding with Del Rio for ages. Del Rio just isn't connecting or getting over. I don't know if its just him not selling the character to the crowds or bad creative direction or what, but Del Rio doesn't seem to be clicking with anyone. We got lucky that Del Rio was pulled and Dolph Ziggler subbed in for one PPV title defense, but now we're stuck in WWE's new found love of having heels chase face champions, which isn't anything new for them either (see: probably every John Cena world title run). I haven't read the Smackdown spoilers but based on Raw, maybe we're on the verge of Randy Orton vs. Sheamus, or at least a triple threat involving Del Rio also.

AngryClaire.gif

Sadly her best acting.

One thing the internet era of wrestling has made me realize is Brutus Beefcake is seriously one of the most useless, didn't-earn-anything-he-got motherfuckers in the history of wrestling.

Here's a nice clip of him blowing his cue on the live Main Event special before Wrestlemania 5. This was re-edited on subsequent showings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POi-gt2vsDE

Also, Liz takes a pretty hard throw there (which is actually shown from a better angle on the re-edit, which is one of the links that pops up at the end)...this was on the same show where she took a hard hit from Savage going through the ropes as well. Sheesh.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I can't even muster enough energy to give two damns about Sheamus.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, him and Randy Orton both. Throw in Big Show, too (who suddenly became a face, if only for one match, on Raw?).

It's like "well, I'm supposed to like these guys because WWE tells me too, but I see nothing that draws me to them - their personae, their interviews, their mic work. Oh, shit, I've gotta put my laundry in the dryer."

That's Sheamus to me. It's mostly that he conforms to the smile-real-big-shake-hands-and-be-a-giant-stereotype-of-your-ethnic-background WWE face formula to such a degree that his individuality is paper thin, and his ring work doesn't stand on its own. I see a generic WWE face with a transparent layer of "FELLA!" on top. I can't get behind generic.

I liked Sheamus more when he was a heel instead of a face that does heel things (stealing a car, beating up "law enforcement," using a weapon to win -- all in the past two weeks of his ADR feud!) and still gets cheered and praised for his heel tactics.

It should amaze me how blatantly the WWE talks out of both sides of their mouth, but the sad truth is that it doesn't.

[quote name='Tsel']You don't have to tell me. I'm following you on Twitter and check the site regularly. :)[/QUOTE]

ITT: fangirls :p

Part of me thinks they could do really good things with Sheamus if they continue to force him down fans' throats and then turn him heel. He has that "Die Rocky Die" potential as a babyface because he's so forced.

But knowing what little I do about WWE behind the scenes, I'm pretty sure they don't see that at all. They probably think he's just the best little worker. Look at him ironing Triple H's suit, what a strong work ethic!

[quote name='mykevermin']Part of me thinks they could do really good things with Sheamus if they continue to force him down fans' throats and then turn him heel. He has that "Die Rocky Die" potential as a babyface because he's so forced.

But knowing what little I do about WWE behind the scenes, I'm pretty sure they don't see that at all. They probably think he's just the best little worker. Look at him ironing Triple H's suit, what a strong work ethic![/QUOTE]

I remember reading in a interview from about two months ago with a former writer that they were prepping him to be the new top babyface of the company, and really it shows.

On a more interesting note: I need these in t-shirt form:

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-1.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-2.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-3.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-4.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-5.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-6.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-7.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-8.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-9.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-10.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-11.jpg

wwf-legends-minimalist-poster-12.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']Yeah, him and Randy Orton both. Throw in Big Show, too (who suddenly became a face, if only for one match, on Raw?).[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this line of thinking from fans. It's as logical as saying David Otunga turned face on Raw because a heel beat him up. It was a heel vs heel match. Both are still heels. Even if one was slightly less hated for a match.

Can't say I agree. Big Show was not mentioned as an opponent, Otunga came out first, and then the big reveal which is supposed to communicate to the crowd "oh, snap, here comes Big Show! Cheer for Otunga getting squashed!"

shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back