The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I honestly would have NO problems with these updates if they let you choose JUST the system improvement portion of them and opt out of the rest of it if it had nothing of use to you.

I will say that they DID improve these updates in that they DO download quicker than before on my slower speed DSL connection and that they now give you a description of what is in the actual update before you install it.

But again, if they could just let you forgo portions for functions you'll never use then I would be eternally happy and stop bitching as much. But I still would miss out on the gaming time lost while waiting for that portion of the update and it would still annoy me.[/QUOTE]

Cheapest, it's good in theory but I could easily see consoles bricking if something that you chose not to install a year ago ended up being needed for something that you did choose to install today. I wouldn't want to deal with that mess.

Also, if you get in on that PS+ pricing error at Target, you can tell the PS3 to download the updates while you sleep via the Automatic Update function. It won't install the system update until you tell it to.

[quote name='mitch079']Cheapest, it's good in theory but I could easily see consoles bricking if something that you chose not to install a year ago ended up being needed for something that you did choose to install today. I wouldn't want to deal with that mess.

Also, if you get in on that PS+ pricing error at Target, you can tell the PS3 to download the updates while you sleep via the Automatic Update function. It won't install the system update until you tell it to.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately they already put up the 'pricing error' signs for the PS+ cards at my Targets or I might've tried for it. I did ask at BB when I was doing some trades the other day and they said they wouldn't price match a 'gift card'.:whistle2:#

Otherwise I was actually considering the $15 PS+ for a year.

IMO, it's helpful that Cheapest complains

When I see that he's the latest poster in this thread, I always take it as a sign that there's an update I need to install instead of just idle chatter :razz:

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']IMO, it's helpful that Cheapest complains

When I see that he's the latest poster in this thread, I always take it as a sign that there's an update I need to install instead of just idle chatter :razz:[/QUOTE]

Same here. The thread typically lies dormant until Sony springs an update on cheapest. As soon as there's a bump I know it's time to update. I usually try to update it before I leave for work so my system is good to go by the time I get home.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately they already put up the 'pricing error' signs for the PS+ cards at my Targets or I might've tried for it. I did ask at BB when I was doing some trades the other day and they said they wouldn't price match a 'gift card'.:whistle2:#

Otherwise I was actually considering the $15 PS+ for a year.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if that would be a cheap enough deal for you to pick up a PSN+ sub. $15 was right up my alley and I was fortunate enough to get the deal on two of them Monday night.

The new health warning on boot is dumb and useless and should be able to be disabled but, after seeing initial claims that it added between 4-8 seconds of boot time, I decided to time the boot process pre and post 4.0 and it's the same. (there was always a bit of time before you could actually see/use the XMB and now it's filled with a health warning...a stupid stupid health warning)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The new health warning on boot is dumb and useless and should be able to be disabled but, after seeing initial claims that it added between 4-8 seconds of boot time, I decided to time the boot process pre and post 4.0 and it's the same. (there was always a bit of time before you could actually see/use the XMB and now it's filled with a health warning...a stupid stupid health warning)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought that was really lame as well. Especially since most games carry that warning themselves. At the beginning of InFamous 2 you have to watch a couple screens of the move warnings and then another health warning about epilepsy.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol:I love it. Taking a jab at me while yet agreeing with me to an extent.;)[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to come over to your way of thinking, I was going to check out the two Bioshock videos on the store when I saw a new update I was like fuck, so I put Uncharted 3 to pass the time while I waited for it to D/L and got a YLoD, I was like son of a.... :twoguns:

So now I've gone through two systems in 2 1/2 months, lost 70 hours of gameplay (50 on Trinity Souls and 20 on DX: HR between both systems) and couldn't login or even go on PSN + to do a backup since I had to do a mother fucking system update, wtf, Sony. :bs:

**Plus the stupid CSR told me to put a disc in my system tray to see what would happen (so I chose a game I had already beaten, Enslaved) and guess what now it's stuck, I told the guy I was weary of doing this and again emphasized my hesitation, but he's like don't worry we'll get it back out, we'll 12 hours later, the damn things still in the drive. :lol::applause:

Yeah I love ill timed system updates that fuck me up so I can't do anything and get a perfect storm happening at the same time, nice no? ;)

LET'S GET READY TO DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!
I was reading earlier that Sony is supposed to be dropping 4.10 on us sometime today (can't link the article b/c I'm typing this on my phone). sounds like the main reason for the update is a change in the name of the service. They're going to rename it the "Sony Entertainment Network" so they can use the service across all devices.

Cheapest, you have been warned! ;)

[quote name='Chitown021']LET'S GET READY TO DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!
I was reading earlier that Sony is supposed to be dropping 4.10 on us sometime today (can't link the article b/c I'm typing this on my phone). sounds like the main reason for the update is a change in the name of the service. They're going to rename it the "Sony Entertainment Network" so they can use the service across all devices.

Cheapest, you have been warned! ;)[/QUOTE]
I already downloaded it last night/this morning actually.:razz: Surprisingly for once it was a short/quick download and install. I do like that they at least put in a screen stating what some of the 'major' portions of the update are. For this one it was increased functionality of the internet browser for highly interactive websites.

Within the last year I've been slowly coming over the dark side(i.e. using the PS3 for a lot more than gaming), that includes using it as a Blu-Ray movie player and surfing the internet a lil bit with the browser on it. However, without a proper USB keyboard to input the addresses or type on it it's a PITA, so I stick to my PC for most web surfing still.

But since I've been sick with a cold the last week or two I've been tempted to run a Three Stooges marathon off of Crackle.com to see how many of their movies are actually up on that site.:D

I was on last night around 845pm PST. Took a lot longer than 5 minutes. The DL portion took near 20minutes, the install took near 5 minutes. Then a magical system freeze so add another 10 minutes to rebuild the file system.

[quote name='Osirus313']what does this new update supposed to do?[/QUOTE]
It fixes the internet browser n makes it run better on highly interactive sites supposedly.

They probably finally had to get off their ass and do something as within the last few weeks google search was broken in it. If you tried to search with google it thinks for a bit and then says the browser has run out of memory.

Thank goodness it didn't take away anything. Update went pretty fast for me but I notice when your on youtube well youtubexl when you finish typing in a name in the search and click on a video you want to see it ask for the typing keyboard again now it was doing this a few times then I figured out just push "O" and then itll let you play your video otherwise pushing yes again will just repeat itself

Last night was the first night this week I didn't turn on my PS3 to at least play one game of UC3 on-line. Downloading the update now.

Is it a sign of the Apocalypse when Cheapest is actually warming up to the big "S" and the PS3?:whee::whee::whee:

Anyone else run into problems with Sony 7.1 Surround Sound Headset? I'm hearing myself talk through the headset when I'm playing UC3 and it pretty much put me off from using it at all :l

[quote name='MrRosales']Anyone else run into problems with Sony 7.1 Surround Sound Headset? I'm hearing myself talk through the headset when I'm playing UC3 and it pretty much put me off from using it at all :l[/QUOTE]

I think they added a volume control for headsets with the update. I think there is a mic volume or in game voice option or something I read on another site. I didn't do the update, since I am waiting to hear the "my console bricked" stories.

[quote name='Chitown021']Is it a sign of the Apocalypse when Cheapest is actually warming up to the big "S" and the PS3?:whee::whee::whee:[/QUOTE]
I think the truest sign the Apocalypse is coming was when I bought a real HDtv on Black Friday and said how much I was enjoying playing on one now. Remember the whole 'HD is a crock' rant I used to go off on every so often?:D

I will say again it's nice to be on a larger screen where I no longer have to squint to see what I'm typing when sending a message.

As for warming up to Sony, oh HELL NO. I think 90% of the stuff on the PSN store is still overpriced by 30-50% from where it should be and I still do think that most of the updates don't add anything halfway decent.

But at least now it would appear that they're telling you what the main portion of the update is for, so at least now you know it's some fluff bs update or not BEFORE downloading it.:booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think the truest sign the Apocalypse is coming was when I bought a real HDtv on Black Friday and said how much I was enjoying playing on one now. Remember the whole 'HD is a crock' rant I used to go off on every so often?:D

I will say again it's nice to be on a larger screen where I no longer have to squint to see what I'm typing when sending a message.

As for warming up to Sony, oh HELL NO. I think 90% of the stuff on the PSN store is still overpriced by 30-50% from where it should be and I still do think that most of the updates don't add anything halfway decent.

But at least now it would appear that they're telling you what the main portion of the update is for, so at least now you know it's some fluff bs update or not BEFORE downloading it.:booty:[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly curious as to what you think of the other platforms.

[quote name='JG5253']I'm honestly curious as to what you think of the other platforms.[/QUOTE]
I don't own either of the other two consoles from this gen at this point. The closest I came to owning either was buying a defective 360 with a few days left on the RROD/E74 warranty cheap, having MS fix it and selling it on CL for $100 to someone console only.

But I will say that the other consoles have some games I'd want to play. I played the original Fable on the old Xbox back in the day and I do want to play Fable 2 and 3 at one point. I also want to experience the original Saint's Row, Crackdown and at least another handful of games that are or were exclusive to the 360.

As for the Wii there are probably some titles I'd play, but I honestly don't know if I'd buy and keep a Wii system just for the handful of titles I'd wanna play on it(Super Mario Galaxy games, etc).

Although I shouldn't really say that, since all I ever play on my PS3 is MK Collection, Bejeweled 2, GTA IV(and the Episodes) and maybe Saint's Row 3. Otherwise I have a dusty collection of 30-40+ titles sitting here doing absolutely nothing right now.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't own either of the other two consoles from this gen at this point. The closest I came to owning either was buying a defective 360 with a few days left on the RROD/E74 warranty cheap, having MS fix it and selling it on CL for $100 to someone console only.

But I will say that the other consoles have some games I'd want to play. I played the original Fable on the old Xbox back in the day and I do want to play Fable 2 and 3 at one point. I also want to experience the original Saint's Row, Crackdown and at least another handful of games that are or were exclusive to the 360.

As for the Wii there are probably some titles I'd play, but I honestly don't know if I'd buy and keep a Wii system just for the handful of titles I'd wanna play on it(Super Mario Galaxy games, etc).

Although I shouldn't really say that, since all I ever play on my PS3 is MK Collection, Bejeweled 2, GTA IV(and the Episodes) and maybe Saint's Row 3. Otherwise I have a dusty collection of 30-40+ titles sitting here doing absolutely nothing right now.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

What I meant was how do you feel towards Microsoft and Nintendo. I just finished playing
Fable 2 and was alright game and I also want to play the orginal Saints row. I'm just barely starting to get games for my Wii after owning it for more than 2 years.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think the truest sign the Apocalypse is coming was when I bought a real HDtv on Black Friday and said how much I was enjoying playing on one now. Remember the whole 'HD is a crock' rant I used to go off on every so often?:D

But at least now it would appear that they're telling you what the main portion of the update is for, so at least now you know it's some fluff bs update or not BEFORE downloading it.:booty:[/QUOTE]

10140216.jpg

[quote name='JG5253']What I meant was how do you feel towards Microsoft and Nintendo. I just finished playing
Fable 2 and was alright game and I also want to play the orginal Saints row. I'm just barely starting to get games for my Wii after owning it for more than 2 years.[/QUOTE]
I like that Nintendo has taken a unique approach this gen and not gone overboard with a bloated system that would've had them forced to charge $400+ for it. I also like that Microsoft seems to have fixed the RROD/E74 issue with the new slims, though I've heard there are issues with them as well.

Otherwise I'm kinda indifferent on the other two companies making hardware still. There are games I'd love to play on both systems, but unless the systems were $100 each with storage media for each to boot I probably won't bother grabbing either one to play the handful of games I wanna play on each.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I like that Nintendo has taken a unique approach this gen and not gone overboard with a bloated system that would've had them forced to charge $400+ for it. I also like that Microsoft seems to have fixed the RROD/E74 issue with the new slims, though I've heard there are issues with them as well.

Otherwise I'm kinda indifferent on the other two companies making hardware still. There are games I'd love to play on both systems, but unless the systems were $100 each with storage media for each to boot I probably won't bother grabbing either one to play the handful of games I wanna play on each.[/QUOTE]

Yea I like all consoles also. They all have their pros and cons but the PS3 is my favorite system. I was just wondering because everyone says you hate Sony and I was curious to why you chose the PS3 over the other consoles

[quote name='JG5253']Yea I like all consoles also. They all have their pros and cons but the PS3 is my favorite system. I was just wondering because everyone says you hate Sony and I was curious to why you chose the PS3 over the other consoles[/QUOTE]

his real issue is he hates spending money lol hating sony is his side project of sorts. hes still waiting out the next price drop for 8 tracks.

I haven't updated to 4.10 yet, usually if Sony does not post the new firmware on its website within 24 hours something is wrong with it. Last time this happen it was due to a bug in the firmware which prevented people from upgrading there hard drives.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-gaffe-hd-upgrades-temporarily-impossible.ars

I also took the time to read through the new changes in the TOS and Privacy Policy with the switch from PSN to SEN.
Passive Information Collection via Sony Entertainment Network

SNEI may collect information such as SEN account holders' system IP address, IP address-related information, system Media Access Control ("MAC") address, network configuration information, network device information, peripheral information, USB device information, plug-in and monitor information, information generated by applicable devices and information about how account holders use the Sony Entertainment Network and applicable device users use their devices, including download activity, browser activity, gaming activities, forum postings, game profile, rankings, features used and presence on Friends list or block list.
Wow so they know what router I'm using, content inside of my usb device, tv model, and the websites I go to with the browser. Sounds like a spyyware/rootkit inside of my PS3...
SNEI has no obligation to reverse or refund unauthorized charges made on your credit or debit card.
I wonder how this will go down if they get hacked again.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we reserve the right to deduct funds from your wallet for any such pre-order at the time of your request, but the content will not be available until the content is released for license via the SEN First Party Services. You may not cancel a pre-order at any time and refunds are not available for pre-orders, subject to applicable laws.
Looks like Sony will start offering pre-orders via the PS Store for vita and other digital games. Based on the TOS, they will charge you immediately and you can not cancel a pre-order.
SNEI reserves the right to deduct from the wallet any fee, penalty or other charge resulting from a Master Account holder's request to the Master Account holder's credit card company to reverse charges relating to a transaction. SNEI reserves the right to terminate the Master Account and all Sub Accounts associated with the Master Account for failure to complete transaction payments.
They will ban/close your account if you try to pull a chargeback on them.:cool:
SNEI does not provide any refunds in the event of a price drop, a subsequent promotional offering or product removal. Special product, prices and promotions are no longer valid once they are changed or removed. Upon SNEI's confirmation of your transaction, you may access the item you ordered through your SEN Account that you used to order the item, until such time as SNEI removes the item. We encourage you to download or access the item immediately after completing your transaction. You bear all risk of loss for accessing the content, including completing the download of any content, ensuring that you have the necessary capabilities to view the content, including content provided at high resolution/definition, and for any loss of content you have downloaded, including any loss due to a file corruption or hard drive crash. You are solely responsible if you do not choose to download or access the content before it is removed and for ongoing storage and safekeeping of the content. SNEI is not obligated to provide you with replacement copies for any reason.
I assumed that everything in my download list is safe and will be there forever lol. So if they remove the product from the store or download list your screwed.
Subscriptions may not be shared among any SEN accounts, including the Master Account with its associated Sub Accounts. Every time you or one of your associated Sub Accounts purchases, orders or downloads a new subscription, the automatic funding feature in the Master Account is set automatically to "ON."
Remember to turn off automatic funding each time you buy PS+, COD Elite, etc. Looks like Sony decided to implement this to catch people off guard.
Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities.
Sony probably found a way to do security updates each time you log into PSN without requiring a full firmware update. These cloud updates have the potential to cause loss of data, content, or functionality.... fuck

I hope some of you guys find this information important. I might have skipped some stuff but these are the ones that caught my eye.

*SNEI stands for Sony Network Entertainment Inc., not sure why they also have SEN as Sony Entertainment Network o_O?

WOW

they've managed to make the browser far worse. It's do unstable it's crashed on me 4 times in 15 minutes to where I've had to restart the machine and I can't even enter in search terms on some sites. It just brings up the "keyboard" screen and then won't let me do anything but turn the system off. Unreal.

[quote name='DestroVega']WOW

they've managed to make the browser far worse. It's do unstable it's crashed on me 4 times in 15 minutes to where I've had to restart the machine and I can't even enter in search terms on some sites. It just brings up the "keyboard" screen and then won't let me do anything but turn the system off. Unreal.[/QUOTE]

Really dude? I use the browser all the time and It is easily twice as good now prior to the FW update. I used to freeze every time but yesterday the browser was flying along, even had 3 seperate windows open. Its 2 years too late but at least its functional now. Try clearing the cache and all that junk?

[quote name='smiggity']Really dude? I use the browser all the time and It is easily twice as good now prior to the FW update. I used to freeze every time but yesterday the browser was flying along, even had 3 seperate windows open. Its 2 years too late but at least its functional now. Try clearing the cache and all that junk?[/QUOTE]

I'll try that but honestly, it's been a worse experience for me.

Optional firmware update 4.11 is live. Must be some sort of Vita related update. I did a search and couldn't find the specific features it adds. Only that it "improves certain aspects of the system software"...

I took the plunge and updated my system. It must be a pretty small update. I had it downloaded and installed in around 5 minutes.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'll try that but honestly, it's been a worse experience for me.[/QUOTE]

That sucks considering it was terrible to begin with.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'll try that but honestly, it's been a worse experience for me.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The scrolling is bad but it loads pages way better now.

Is it just me or did the 4.11 update make the newer better 4.10 browser worse?

The browser update was running wonderfully on 4.10 but when I went to surf around and look at themes per usual last night on 4.11 it was a complete mess. *shrug*

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/25/ps3-system-software-update-v4-20/

Tomorrow we will be releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3 which will include a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience.
As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone.” Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

This update will also allow you to set the amount of time that the system will wait before turning itself off automatically for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].

Additionally, saved data management has been improved. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete or copy them as a group.

More details will be available here tomorrow once the system software update is live.

how about being able to arrange or organize dled games and such however you want or into custom folders? that way i can put games i want to play soon at the top and the ones ive finished at the bottom.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You can already put them into custom folders. Push square to change to album view and edit their album names accordingly to sort them.[/QUOTE]

shit really? well then i retract my complaint lol.

[quote name='lokizz']how about being able to arrange or organize dled games and such however you want or into custom folders? that way i can put games i want to play soon at the top and the ones ive finished at the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Alphabetical is all I want. Not alphabetical via folders, but strictly by title.

OK. How did I miss that there's another useless(for me) update coming out today?:roll:

By the way, if you play Inversion the 4.11 system update is on the disc and will prompt you to update the system when you go to play it.

lSaw this topic bumped up and I thought Cheapest Gamer was complaining about another update on his El Slowo internet. I was right.

bread's done
Back